PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Insurance for a 2007 G5.

Lilac Wine
01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone here own a two door 2007 Pontiac G5 coupe?
I am interested in one but don't want my insurance to skyrocket.
I am a 25/F living in Lethbridge. No tickets in the past few years and no accidents. Right now I have a 1997 cavalier and pay around $54 a month. I expect my insurance to go up maybe $25 or so because it is a 2007 but do they consider these sporty cars?

G-ZUS
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Call your insurance and ask?

Lilac Wine
01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
It's saturday they are closed.

Tik-Tok
01-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Online quote (https://www.secure.melochemonnex.com/auto/quote?PostalCode=T1J0N0&PostalCode1=T1J&PostalCode2=0N0&product=auto)

withsilverwings
01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Your liability portion of the insurance won't change based on the vehicle - whether you drive a POS or a Ferrari your liability won't change (with the same insurer). You can go here to see the MAXIMUM amount any insurer can charge you for liability: http://www.airb.gov.ab.ca/gridrate/AirbGrid1.aspx#Calculator

I'm assuming with your 1997 you don't have collision and comprehensive so that's where you will see the difference. It will be based on claims history record and the rate group for the vehicle. If you buy the 2007 outright you can choose whether or not to have collision/comp but if you finance/lease these are required coverages.

Your best bet is to get quotes from your insurance company and others (take copies of quotes with you to ensure you are comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges) and go from there.

TomcoPDR
01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Lilac Wine
Does anyone here own a two door 2007 Pontiac G5 coupe?
I am interested in one but don't want my insurance to skyrocket.
I am a 25/F living in Lethbridge. No tickets in the past few years and no accidents. Right now I have a 1997 cavalier and pay around $54 a month. I expect my insurance to go up maybe $25 or so because it is a 2007 but do they consider these sporty cars?

(Disclaimer: I'm not in the insurance industry, but for the sake of helping a fellow site member out, I'll answer based on goodwill)

So Lilac, as far as I was explained, the insurance industry uses a point system to get their rates.

Different vehicles have specific points, the higher the point (i.e. risky/sporty vehicles) would be higher.

And then these points get multipled to the insured (driver), which also have other point measures too such as: How many users of that same vehicle, age, previous driving history, etc...

Sometimes, now I'm not positive, they might go by height (i.e. seeing over the dash, or too tall (more $$ for settlement) in a rollover head injuries) If you have a 4" by 6" photo of yourself that could help us give opinions how that might effect your insurance rates.

But most likely the difference should be reasonable seeing the G5/Cobalt is sort of like the next generation of Cavalivers/Sunfires.

SCHIDER23
01-04-2009, 09:20 AM
:rofl: :rofl: I'm not sure the photo will help the situation :rofl:

Masked Bandit
01-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm going to assume (like someone else did) that you currently don't carry collision on your vehicle. That is where you are going to see the biggest increase in your premium, adding the collision. The G5 itself isn't overly expensive to insure compared to other vehicles so if you are going to buy something newish, this is a reasonable choice from an insurance perspective. If you don't care for the pricing your current agents gets you on Monday morning just let me know and I'll work up a number for you.

Congrats on the new car as well!

friedn00dles
01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
call 780-430-3902.
its my direct line. i work at access insurance group.
pretty much sell for ING, ECO, SGI, and AXA pacific.
if you have 10-15 mins

scat19
01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Car guys cant help you. Call your broker.

01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Here is a link which asks you a bunch of questions then tells what companies are willing to insure your vehicle and for how much there are numerous companies it only take couple minutes here is link http://www.kanetix.ca/