PDA

View Full Version : First Canadian car advice

zetec452
01-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi There,

I'm planning to move over to Canada in June and will need a car asap.

Initially I'm after something fairly sensible to carry 4 / 5 adults with luggage in relative comfort. I like the look of the Ford Focus, Ford Fusion and Toyota Matrix. These cars are far from sexy but are fairly cheap to buy (budget $15K Canadian) and run.

Are there any other cards you'd recommend ?

Hopefully once I get a job I can treat myself to something a little more sporty. :D.

TIA

EDIT: also, whats the best place to look for cars? Currently using www.autotrader.ca.

Xtrema
01-03-2009, 02:12 PM
autotrader is your best bet. Check out manufacturer website as well. There are some deal that may make sense on a new lease than buying used.

Honda Accord (North American one is bigger than UK's), Toyota Camry are also quite popular here and comparable your Mazda 6.

zetec452
01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi Xtrema,

Thanks for your post. I've been looking at the manufacturers websites too. All the engines in North America are massive, and no diesel's either (except audi, vw etc....expensive). :p.

I've also looked at finance and leasing but I don't image i'll be too successful as a landed immigrant with no job. lol. It’s certainly an option once I have some cash coming through.

/goes to Hondas website.

Thanks,

joyridder
01-03-2009, 04:00 PM
AWD Matrix would be a boring but practical vehicle, good in winter as well!

funkedelic2
01-03-2009, 05:16 PM
The focus is an extremely boring car, i would go with the fusion out of the two. It is bigger, and better looking imo.

Cooked Rice
01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
If I could get a new daily driver I'd look at a Subaru Impreza. The 5 door hatch has plenty of room. I'm sure you can find used ones for less than $15,000. They are about $22,000 for a new 2009 iirc. For just the Impreza 2.5i

If you want a small engine, the 2009 Nissan Versa is a 1.6L at a whopping base price of $12,500. $15,000 would get you the upgraded package with power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, heated mirrors and the optional ABS before taxes and freight.

http://nissan.ca/vehicles/ms/newnissan/en/

95EagleAWD
01-04-2009, 02:58 AM
Honda Fit.

Xtrema
01-04-2009, 03:13 AM
BTW, the Focus here is different than UK's. Our Focus is on an older platform than UK's so they may not drive as well if you tested one in UK.

Fusion is basically stretched version of Mazda 6. Same engines as well.

Diesel car doesn't sell well here because gas is a lot cheaper here than Diesel. Only about 1/2 the time in the year where Diesel price and mileage has an advantage.

Having no NA credit is tough. And for the Pound being so low probably hurts on conversion as well. IMO Fusion is probably your best bet. But get one still have warranty left tho.

Matrix is basically a Corolla wagon. Fit is also a great little car but both are a big weak on highways and they don't fit 5 comfortably.

zetec452
01-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Hey,

I do like the Fusion, and the 2.3l doesn't seem too bad (I’d love to buy the 3.0l), one of my main concerns is fuel economy as I'm not sure how much I'll be using the car. I may have to travel a fair bit to work etc. Also, this first car will be the run about car for us, as a second car will eventually be required.

Shame about the focus, it is a very good car over here albeit a little boring.

I'll take a look at the Subaru’s and the Nissan’s. I do agree that it will be a little tight for five with the Matrix and Honda Fit.

Thanks again.

zetec452
01-04-2009, 05:03 AM
Out of interest, what is generally considered average milleage in Canada? In the UK i think its about 12k miles per annum.

Cheers,

Jon

5000Audi
01-04-2009, 06:17 AM
i think its 20K here? not sure though

ragu
01-04-2009, 06:19 AM
For 15k I am gonna chime in and suggest ever so sensible Honda civic or fit. Both of these cars can save you a ton on maintenence and hold their value pretty good. With the current car market, you might even find a 2007 civic with 20,000km for $15k

Cars go 20,000 to 24,000 per year here. <<< those are kms!

5000Audi
01-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by ragu

Cars go 20,000 to 24,000 per year here. &lt;&lt;&lt; those are kms!

yeah USA and UK are the only ones still using miles... jeeezz get with the program already lol

ExtraSlow
01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
You can count on driving quite a bit further and more often in Canada than you did in the UK. My wife and I average around 25,000 km per year on our car, and we don't consider that to be excessive. With a family, and a job that "requires" a car, I'm sure you'll drive at least that much.

Also, make sure you use North American fuel economy numbers for those cars. There are differences in the engines and transmissions that change the numbers.
The Government of Canada provides this tool:

Canadian Fuel Economy - Link (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/compare/compare-search-one.cfm)

Godfuader
01-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Matrix makes the most sense in your case. It has the room for a family plus the practicality of having a decent cargo carrier room with the seats down...which you will need when you first move here to get yourself your smaller furniture items and such.

zetec452
01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

The Government of Canada provides this tool:

Canadian Fuel Economy - Link (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/compare/compare-search-one.cfm) [/B]

Fantastic thank you. I have been using CanadianDriver.com and auto123.com for fuel and did notice some differing fuel values.

I'm going to test drive a few cars (civic, fusion, matrix) but ultimately am leaning towards the Matrix.

I've also been running through some insurance quotes and the Matrix is fairly cheap to ensure, annoyingly only $300 dollars per annum cheaper than a Nissan 350z. Crazy.

Thanks everyone for your valued input. :).

hockeyguy
01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
are you looking for new or used? there are some good deals on a used car thats a year or two old that may get you into something a little sportier right away

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Honestly, as a transit/runabout vehicle I've been more impressed with the vibe/matrix than I thought I would be.

I don't own one but a good friend does and I've done a few trips here and there in it and have been pleasantly surprised with comfort and mileage. Five full size adults would get tight but it's great for four.

fast95pony
01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't bother with the Focus.The version sold here is is basically still the MK 1 Focus,with different body panels.

Ford is supposed to start selling the Euro Focus and Festiva soon though.That would be nice..