PDA

View Full Version : Husky switching all pumps to 90, 92, 94 now?

Cooked Rice
01-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I've been hearing rumors that Husky is making all their pumps 90, 92, 94 now. And I believe this is no longer a rumor. I hit up the Husky beside T&T Honda on Barlow and they got 90,92,94 now as well. Finally 94 in the NE, lol. I didn't check at the one behind the 36th St Crappy tire, but I assume it's the same deal. And the prices are equal to 87,89,91 stations. They have new posters up saying "90 Octane for the price of 87"

Kloubek
01-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I just took a trip to BC, and the Husky in Golden had these numbers too.

Redlyne_mr2
01-03-2009, 03:28 PM
It depends on the station, the newer and more modern ones are doing the 90,92,94 thing but some of the older ones arent. Example the husky/mohawk on 14st downtown is offering 89,92, 94 IIRC where as the husky/mohawk on 8st is selling the 90,92,94 grade.

5000Audi
01-03-2009, 06:45 PM
husky upgraded their fuel for winter...
87=90
89=92
91=94

its just for the winter i have asked some of the people at the stations..

Rocky
01-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Woohoo, more octane for the B18C1 :P

Gibson
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah the one in Sandstone had this as well.

rumeo
01-04-2009, 02:31 AM
the one on 68st ne has it as well

Cooked Rice
01-04-2009, 02:41 AM
I'm quite sure pretty much all of them have it now. I checked Barlow and 32nd Ave, they got it as well.

^On a side note:
Hey and is that you Rumi? It's ray.

PETEY100
01-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Somebody please trash the hell out of me if I am wrong but I thought husky/ mohawk gas was all 10% ethanol which I thought Honda did not recommend to use?:dunno:

rage2
01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by PETEY100
Somebody please trash the hell out of me if I am wrong but I thought husky/ mohawk gas was all 10% ethanol which I thought Honda did not recommend to use?:dunno:
I wont trash the hell out of you. Husky/Mohawk has up to 10% ethanol. Re-read your manual and you'll see that it's ok to use anything up to 10%.

Neil4Speed
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I pumped 94 on Thursday for the hell of it, car seems to idle smoother and have more responsiveness. Hard to say how much is in my head.

rusich
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I've ran 1000kms on premium and regular in my V6 toyota engine. I didn't notice any significant performance gains, but my mileage was worse by 2.5 l/100kms on premium vs regular.

A790
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by rusich
I've ran 1000kms on premium and regular in my V6 toyota engine. I didn't notice any significant performance gains, but my mileage was worse by 2.5 l/100kms on premium vs regular.
Make sense since it's more resistant to detonation and has no reason to be in an engine that doesn't require premium fuel.

semograd
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by rusich

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to detonation (engine knocking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. High-performance engines typically have higher compression ratios and are therefore more prone to detonation, so they require higher octane fuel. A lower-performance engine will not generally perform better with high-octane fuel, since the compression ratio is fixed by the engine design.

The octane number of a fuel is measured in a test engine, and is defined by comparison with the mixture of iso-octane and normal heptane which would have the same anti-knocking capacity as the fuel under test: the percentage, by volume, of iso-octane in that mixture is the octane number of the fuel. For example, gasoline with the same knocking characteristics as a mixture of 90% iso-octane and 10% heptane would have an octane rating of 90. [1] Because some fuels are more knock-resistant than iso-octane, the definition has been extended to allow for octane numbers higher than 100

Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline. A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power..

Octane does not turn your car into some race machine. If you have a P.O.S. Stick to basic.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I run 94 in my car. 91 seems to trash my fuel sensor... A full tank will show 3/4 on 91, but shows full on 94... even had the sensors replaced... twice haha.

riceeater
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by A790

Make sense since it's more resistant to detonation and has no reason to be in an engine that doesn't require premium fuel.

actually.... in HOT summer days, i heard it's better to run a higher grade anyways, and the reason makes sense... since it's really hot out and the engine can hardly cool down, you will automatically have higher chance of knock, so to avoid having the computer retard timing, running a little bit better fuel is a good thing... i'm sure that it wont hold true for everyone, but it's something to think about when it's really hot out and you feel the car being a little sluggish

Eleanor
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Why would they do this? I would think 87 sells 100000x more than 91 :dunno:

Cooked Rice
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM
The ethanol mixture boosts it's octane rating. And husky sells 91 at the same price as for example Esso sells it's 87

buddha3569
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey guys,

All you guys have been talking about honda's... Well I drive a 745i. How does that affect me? I talked to the mechanics at bmw and they all say to stay away from husky cause its bad gas.... I've been just filling up at shell.

What do you guys think?

ZorroAMG
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey guys,

All you guys have been talking about honda's....Well I drive a Veyron. How does that affect me? I talked to the scientists at bugatti and they all say to stay away from husky cause its bad gas.... I've been just filling up at shell.

What do you guys think?

semograd
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
The only thing octane does for your (expensive) car is prevent the engine from exploding. Nothing else.

If you want good quality gas (power, efficiency, clean burning) you should research what additives and detergents each company puts in their gasses, not how high of octane they sell.

IMO shell gas is the highest quality. On MY veyron I get the best power and highest efficiency out if their premium.

ExtraSlow
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Well shell charges more, so it's probably better gas. I'm sure that's the logic your BMW buddies are using.

jdm_jspec
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Hey guys,

All you guys have been talking about honda's....Well I drive a Veyron. How does that affect me? I talked to the scientists at bugatti and they all say to stay away from husky cause its bad gas.... I've been just filling up at shell.

What do you guys think?

:rofl: :drama:

em2ab
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey guys,

What do you guys think?
Right hand drive?

Seriously though, my car calls for 87 octane and I'd assume using a different level would cause predetonation or some kind of timing imbalance/misfire. You can't just put any octane in any car. So if they're switching and I'm correct on my assumption, I'll have to keep looking for a place that sells 87.

QuasarCav
01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Right hand drive?

Seriously though, my car calls for 87 octane and I'd assume using a different level would cause predetonation or some kind of timing imbalance/misfire. You can't just put any octane in any car. So if they're switching and I'm correct on my assumption, I'll have to keep looking for a place that sells 87.

Just keep on assuming.

dino_martini
01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
The Husky/Macs in Signal Hill has this as well.

Eleanor
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey guys,

What do you guys think?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Use diesel, you get wicked detonation resistance, especially for a Veyron cause you can crank up the boost and get 1,000,000+ hp! :thumbsup: