PDA

View Full Version : Shop recommends work. And it doesnt fix car.

calgarys_finest
01-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I was out of town and the gfs car wouldnt start so she got it towed to a shop they said they checked the battery and alternater and said they were fine. They then said she needed a bunch of other stuff so she said ok. They did the work charged her and she paid. She got the car home and tried to start it the next morning and it didnt work. Is the shop held responsible to fix this?

TorqueDog
01-03-2009, 06:18 PM
*raises eyebrow*

What exactly did they tell her needed fixing? And did they specifically say that it would fix her problem?

drtoohotty1
01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
probably the usual replace headlight fluid, new rotator splint :D and any other large made up words fed to females that walk into shops....

5000Audi
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
shops love when girls get their cars in a shop, since most girls do not know where the 710 goes.... i would ask her what work was done with the car.. and yes call them up and tell them her car still dont start and ask what was wrong with the things that they fixed...

CelicaST-162
01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
I was out of town and the gfs car wouldnt start so she got it towed to a shop they said they checked the battery and alternater and said they were fine. They then said she needed a bunch of other stuff so she said ok. They did the work charged her and she paid. She got the car home and tried to start it the next morning and it didnt work. Is the shop held responsible to fix this?

To answer the question. YES, they are responsible to repair this car to it's operating condition. She paid for the diagnostics and the parts replacement, since they've charged her for the diagnostic and parts and labour they SHOULD put their jobs on hold and fix her car asap until it's repaired. She shouldn't have to pay for anything except parts and labour.

Team_Mclaren
01-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

To answer the question. YES, they are responsible to repair this car to it's operating condition. She paid for the diagnostics and the parts replacement, since they've charged her for the diagnostic and parts and labour they SHOULD put their jobs on hold and fix her car asap until it's repaired. She shouldn't have to pay for anything except parts and labour.

hmm, only depends on what was "FIXED". They certainly are not responsible for anything else that goes wrong that has nothing to do with the repair itself.

and to answer the OPs question, look on the receipt to see what they actually did then go from there

Xtrema
01-04-2009, 03:33 AM
She parks outside? Is the block heater working? How old is the car? Sounds like weather related.

rumeo
01-04-2009, 03:37 AM
i just have a question related to OPs question. say they fixed stuff completely unrelated to the original problem, can she go back and say this isnt what i wanted, give me my money back?

VetteRacin
01-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by rumeo
i just have a question related to OPs question. say they fixed stuff completely unrelated to the original problem, can she go back and say this isnt what i wanted, give me my money back?

Not if she gave them the ok to proceed with the work

rumeo
01-04-2009, 05:49 AM
but for something fraudulent like changing head light fluid?

mikemechanic
01-04-2009, 09:16 AM

:facepalm:

hockeyguy
01-04-2009, 11:13 AM

that was a joke...:facepalm: :rofl:

and even if they did they wouldnt write that on the r/o

chkolny541
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM

lol:rofl:

if you fall for the ol headlight fluid/ replacing the air in your tires ("racing air" some may call it), etc. Then you do not deserve to be behind the wheel of a car, and you deserve to be parted from your money, second opinions people!!

rumeo
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
i get that it was a joke but im saying hypothecally if they charged for that and they were dumb enough to write that on a receipt
is that grounds for getting money back?

canuckcarguy
01-05-2009, 02:40 AM
They tested the starting system, it was okay (if they'd wanted to scam her, she'd have definitely been charged for a new battery). Then they said she needed some other work done, told her what it was, she approved it, they fixed it, she paid them. What's the problem?

If she'd gone to the shop and they hadn't offered to fix apparent mechanical shortcomings, they'd be open to criticism for not offering her adequate maintenance. The OP doesn't suggest that the work was shoddy or even unnecessary.

The vehicle obviously ran when it was in the shop, since she drove it home. I'd agree with the earlier post that the cold weather's likely the culprit. Towing your car to the shop and having work performed doesn't magically erase the need for a block heater...

subsin
01-05-2009, 02:48 AM
"we're gonna have to top up your headlight fluid ma'am, and your right tires should be on the left side. It is very dangerous to be driving like this"

sneek
01-05-2009, 03:06 AM

sneek
01-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by subsin
"we're gonna have to top up your headlight fluid ma'am, and your right tires should be on the left side. It is very dangerous to be driving like this"

hahaha the transmission improves gas mileage...i would get 2 for this type of car. It probably happened when you were parked at the mall.

CelicaST-162
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

hmm, only depends on what was "FIXED". They certainly are not responsible for anything else that goes wrong that has nothing to do with the repair itself.

and to answer the OPs question, look on the receipt to see what they actually did then go from there

But of course, if they replaced the battery for examples sake and the coolant starts leaking then it's not their fault.

AE92_TreunoSC
01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest

It's just the way things go sometimes, they made an error and you need to talk to them to right the wrong.

Don't threaten them and ask them nicely what you should do.

Any good shop will fix the problem and only charge for the parts.

My shop would probably pay for the parts as well :banghead: