PDA

View Full Version : Student loans???

ekguy
01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah so school starts tuesday and I have yet to receive my student loan...Haven't even got my notice of assessment yet. Any idea when the student loans come in. I should have direct deposit as well...

Weapon_R
01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
It'll arrive on Thursday.

Amysicle
01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Is this your first time receving student loans this year? (2008-2009 school year)

If not, it might show up as a direct deposit on the day school starts. Give them a call to see what's up with your loan though tomorrow morning.

ekguy
01-04-2009, 01:42 PM
yeah no I got one last year as well. But there is no way in hell I am calling tomorrow...The wait would be long beyond belief...Oh well as long as I can still attend classes even if my student loan only comes in 3 days after school starts.

Wehbeast
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
yeah no I got one last year as well. But there is no way in hell I am calling tomorrow...The wait would be long beyond belief...Oh well as long as I can still attend classes even if my student loan only comes in 3 days after school starts.

I doubt they will kick you out of classes if you don't pay on Tuesday. SAIT will probably e-mail your instructor and ask them to ask you to pay your student loan (I was late last semester). Last year in January, my student loan cheque went to straight to SAIT and not to me.

Question regarding student loans, don't want to start a new thread. I tried searching on re-payment options, can you pay them with your VISA?

Ebon
01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
They should be out soon I got an email saying mine was sent out a few days ago. It will prob be sent to the school directly, that is if it is anything like fall.

Does anyone know if they just put it into my account even if i have no outstanding charges? My current balance for winter is already negative from scholarships I got this year would they just credit my account the value of the loan?

Spoons
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Well you are better than me...

I have no fucking clue what they are doing with the money they are giving me... they automatically paid my student loans (ridiculously over as well, so now I get a refund from the university, which takes fucking forever) and then just randomly gave me 1500 for reasons I don't know, and then they still owe me money.

Government pisses me off...

anschutz_92
01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
^ lol that sucks.

How are you guys qualifying for student loans? Are you living on Campus or are you a single mother of three of East Indian descent enrolled in nursing?

18, Male, Engineering, not a visible minority, average family income, living at home... How do I get a student loan? Economically it would make more sense to pay my tuition with student loans and then pay it all back at the end of my schooling (4 more years to go... ouch).

pinoyboy88
01-05-2009, 02:29 AM
As long as the school has been contacted by alberta student loans then it doesn't matter if your tuition is paid late, as long as its guarrenteed that it will be paid by student loans. That's what happend to me last year, my student loans didn't come until a week after winter semester classes started. It went straight to SAIT, if your worried its better to contact the school rather than alberta student loans.

Spoons
01-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
^ lol that sucks.

How are you guys qualifying for student loans? Are you living on Campus or are you a single mother of three of East Indian descent enrolled in nursing?

18, Male, Engineering, not a visible minority, average family income, living at home... How do I get a student loan? Economically it would make more sense to pay my tuition with student loans and then pay it all back at the end of my schooling (4 more years to go... ouch).

I'm 19, white, living on Campus, and average family income and I got approved for 8000 dollars :D :bigpimp:

Eleanor
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Somehow I doubt race comes into it :dunno:

nonlinear
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
race is only relevant if you are of aboriginal decent

wiggaplz
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm curious how Spoons got a Student Loan. I was accepted only because we have 2 people in the family currently in post secondary. If it was just me, I wouldn't of been accepted and would probably be whoring myself out to pay for education.

wiggaplz
01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
^ lol that sucks.

Get the Bank of Mom and Dad to pay for it, work during the semester/reading week and pay it off. It's actually quite easy (i used to think it was hard, but not spending money on food seriously seems to work).

Oh yeah, I forgot, you also gotta be a recluse that stays home every day of the week and never leaves the house.

Kidding. But you gotta be cheap.

Getting out of school with zero to minimal debt > joining the workforce with a cloud of debt.

Jim Rome99
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Very difficult to get a loan if you live at home. Just lie on your application and say you live alone and are estranged from your parents. No harm no foul.

Ebon
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I live at home, average income, and i get 8000 for loans. Just say your family contribution is 0 and that you don't have any accessible funds (all tied up in long term bonds/investments since over a year ago). Worked for me although it wasn't a lie.

anschutz_92
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
I live at home, average income, and i get 8000 for loans. Just say your family contribution is 0 and that you don't have any accessible funds (all tied up in long term bonds/investments since over a year ago). Worked for me although it wasn't a lie.

That's what I want to hear... will they care that my tuition funds come from my parents account?

I have no problem paying my tuition, but an interest free loan definitely doesn't hurt. I mean even if I just put the funds in a GIC even at current (extremely low) interest rates I'll still pocket $1000 over the three years if I get an initial sum of $9000.

wiggaplz
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM

That's what I want to hear... will they care that my tuition funds come from my parents account?

I have no problem paying my tuition, but an interest free loan definitely doesn't hurt. I mean even if I just put the funds in a GIC even at current (extremely low) interest rates I'll still pocket $1000 over the three years if I get an initial sum of $9000.

you get 2 loans for a student loan. you get a loan from canada, and one from alberta. i believe only like 400 goes to your post secondary institution, and you pocket the rest (ie. it goes into your bank account).

just get your parents to pay the money, invest the fuck out of it, pay the money back after you make a shit load of profit.

For the win.

ekguy
01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
So does this actually come tomorrow??? I'm on day 2 of school here and not a sign of my student loan coming in. So I'm freaking out a bit here...

FreakinPrince
01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
So does this actually come tomorrow??? I'm on day 2 of school here and not a sign of my student loan coming in. So I'm freaking out a bit here...

go talk to the customer service if you want to....i never worried about it because once i submitted it... i just talk to the CS and they said everything will be fine..just delay of them sending them the money...

if you were not acccepted you would have gotten a notice about it

Canmorite
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
With some remarks about investing the student loan money, be careful how you do it. CRA does look for that kind of stuff.

ekguy
01-08-2009, 01:38 AM
yeah but it's now thursday and still nothing. I know I'm accepted cuz my notice of assessment had the amount for the first semester and the one for this one and I know im getting it...But now day 3 of school is starting tomorrow and still nothing...Kinda worried something happened...

Wehbeast
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Take your Notice of Assessment to the registrars ofice and show them it to prove that you are getting funding from the govt

ekguy
01-08-2009, 12:38 PM
So I spent like 3 hours on the phone this morning. A woman at SAIT told me I still owed them the whole amount of my tuition and I called the Student Loan office and they told me SAIT got my money on January 2nd...So I called back and ends up SAIT owes me over 1000$ back...SAIT can be so stupid sometimes. At least it's all figured out though.

badatusrnames
01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
So I got the notice from UofC informing me that my fees had not been received yet and were due the 23rd.

I received notice from the loan people Jan. 1 that my loan had been disbursed.

Have any UofC people receiving loans had their fees marked as payed on PeopleSoft yet? Has anyone else received the same notice?

EDIT: Just checked on Edulinx and it shows that my loan had been disbursed to the UofC on December 29th. I'm guessing the UofC is behind in processing it?

cjab
01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
So I got the notice from UofC informing me that my fees had not been received yet and were due the 23rd.

I received notice from the loan people Jan. 1 that my loan had been disbursed.

Have any UofC people receiving loans had their fees marked as payed on PeopleSoft yet? Has anyone else received the same notice?

EDIT: Just checked on Edulinx and it shows that my loan had been disbursed to the UofC on December 29th. I'm guessing the UofC is behind in processing it?

Same deal with me.

liquidboi69
01-13-2009, 12:56 AM
God, i was registered in 4 classes for winter this year... but I added one during the break cuz i wanted to figure out what else i wanted to fit in there cuz it was full.

Now they only paid for 4 classes, and I still owe 527 for another class. Do you guys know how long it takes them to give you the remaining balance? or if they even do that? Because if they dont.. im boned.

badatusrnames
01-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Bump. My money finally went through, 18 days after it had been disbursed.

I had to pay an extra $32.49 because I picked up a sixth class (loan covered up to $3200). Paying online from my bank account was actually pretty quick and painless. I don't understand why people were whining so much about losing credit card payments...

Hopefully it doesn't take another 18 days for this money to go through. Imagine being de-registered because I was short $32.49 that the UofC took forever to process... sounds like something they would do.

JMaj7
01-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I got a cheque and I checked with the load office at MRC and they said I had to pay the fees myself out of this cheque. Anyone else do this and realize that they didn't need to pay and ended up getting their money back?

I paid it because I didn't want to lose my classes!

wiggaplz
01-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
God, i was registered in 4 classes for winter this year... but I added one during the break cuz i wanted to figure out what else i wanted to fit in there cuz it was full.

Now they only paid for 4 classes, and I still owe 527 for another class. Do you guys know how long it takes them to give you the remaining balance? or if they even do that? Because if they dont.. im boned.

Not to be a dick but how don't you have 527 in your account? Do you live up in the "hills" or something?