PDA

View Full Version : Del Sol Si

funkedelic2
01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I could use some imput in from anyone that has worked on a Del Sol or has owned one in the past.

I'm going to go look at a 93 Si today. It has 240k on it and the owner said he has had recent transmission work done to it, had a new clutch put in and has new tires. I'm just wondering if the timing belt has been changed recently. He is asking $3,000 for the car. Seems like an OK deal, depending on the condition of the vehicle and how it runs, i might ask him to go lower.

Just wondering if these cars are okay during the winter. I have heard of an oil feed problem which causes the engine to be noisy during cold temperatures. Are there any other known problems that i should worry about?

Discuss..

Wehbeast
01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
the black one in Country Hills?

funkedelic2
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Wehbeast

No if you look closely i don't live in Calgary. This one is Red and is in Lethbridge. Its for my GF so just wondering how good of an all weather daily driver it would make..

funkedelic2
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Any advice? Come on this is mostly a Honda forum! I'm going to take a look at this thing within the next hour or so. Any imput on how dependable of a car this would be, or any suggestions would be appreciated.

Toms-SC
01-04-2009, 06:08 PM
PM the user "Kerry". He is a pro when it comes to del sol's.

psycoticclown
01-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I saw that red Del Sol SI in Lethbridge I think, definitely a nice looking car, followed it up that Bridge Dr or w/e, the one with the big curvy road that is amazing to drive.

AutodreamMarvin
01-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I could use some imput in from anyone that has worked on a Del Sol or has owned one in the past.

I'm going to go look at a 93 Si today. It has 240k on it and the owner said he has had recent transmission work done to it, had a new clutch put in and has new tires. I'm just wondering if the timing belt has been changed recently. He is asking $3,000 for the car. Seems like an OK deal, depending on the condition of the vehicle and how it runs, i might ask him to go lower.

Just wondering if these cars are okay during the winter. I have heard of an oil feed problem which causes the engine to be noisy during cold temperatures. Are there any other known problems that i should worry about?

Discuss..

I've owned a few.

They are decent cars. I don't know about using it as a winter beater though. Civics, especially older ones take a LONG time to warm up; especially if the engine is well worn.(240k usually means well worn) Expect the car to reach operating temp by the time you get to your destination, even when using a OE Honda T-stat.

They are okay if you are a young female looking for some top down motoring in the spring/summer and want a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle with decent handling and acceleration.

If you want a good winter car, look into something else. CRV, RAV4, hell even a Grand Cherokee if you want. Gas is pretty cheap right now.

kwazy
01-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Personally, I would get a 240sx over a del sol. However, it's for your gf and it seems like whatever is a good deal works.

funkedelic2
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I saw it yesterday it looks like it is in very good shape for the milage and year. It sounded healthy and the interior looked in good shape as well.

The only thing that seemed off to me was the clutch. It was hard to drive it, you have to let the clutch out almost the whole way before going anywhere. Maybe its the car, i'm not use to that. He showed me some paper work showing that the clutch had JUST been done so i don't know what to think about that, maybe that is the way it is meant to be on those cars?

They service it at Honda and had lots of invoices and they told me it had been in the family for 7 years.

The GF loved it and i got the guy down to 2750 so i might be picking it up today.

funkedelic2
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin

I've owned a few.

They are decent cars. I don't know about using it as a winter beater though. Civics, especially older ones take a LONG time to warm up; especially if the engine is well worn.(240k usually means well worn) Expect the car to reach operating temp by the time you get to your destination, even when using a OE Honda T-stat.

They are okay if you are a young female looking for some top down motoring in the spring/summer and want a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle with decent handling and acceleration.

If you want a good winter car, look into something else. CRV, RAV4, hell even a Grand Cherokee if you want. Gas is pretty cheap right now.

We took it for a ride from being just started, within 2 minutes or so it was already warm. It was a little rough on the snow which made the removable top just a little noisy but it wasn't horrible. Not the greatest winter driver but it seems like it might work out.

GQBalla
01-05-2009, 01:56 PM
the engine warming up has a lot to do with when the car was last started.

in my 04 civic it would take about 15 minutes of driving to warm up to normal temps judging on the heat gauge, my 99 civic is pretty much the same thing.

if its a good deal, go for it after you get it inspected also get a compression test done

LadyLuck
01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I got my del sol last february, after a bit of a tune up she hauls ass!

Ever since i got my winter tires ive been driving like I would in the summer, definatly a great winter car. I would recommend a del sol any day.

Originally posted by Wehbeast

I live in country hills, but during the summer I always see another black one cruising around...are you saying that ones for sale?