PDA

View Full Version : Car lifts w/ a cross-sectional piece?

2EFNFAST
01-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Are there any 4post garage lifts that come with (or can be bought as an addition) a cross-sectional hydraulic lifting piece(s) - i.e., some piece(s) across the center that can lift the car up so you can remove tires, etc... while it's on the lift?

I remember seeing it somewhere, but I don't know if this is a feature of all lifts, or only a certain one?

ercchry
01-05-2009, 12:15 AM
what do you mean? like an industrial car lift, or one that you would find in someone's personal garage that is used for extra storage?

alignment drive on type lifts normally have a part that has 4 adjustable arms that you can position to lift the car off the wheels. then you can also get lifts that just raise the car off its wheels. back in high school we had a portable lift that you hook up to the air compressor, that was sketchy as hell though

2EFNFAST
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
just a personal garage lift.

Some simple 4-post lift like the lift-king
http://liftking.ca/index.php?page=the-pro-king-8

but also has a cross-sectional piece in it so you can drive a car up, remove the tires, and raise it on the cross-sectional piece

5000Audi
01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.countyseatrealty.net/111%20N.%20Massingale/4%20Post%20Lift.JPG

the 2 things in the middle are the numatic jacks

****EDIT****
uggg i just read your second post... those 4 post lifts can have 2 numatic lifts on them, so you can lift the rear or front or both...

ercchry
01-05-2009, 12:21 AM
EDIT: ^^^ that is what i was trying to describe, so i guess the question would be can you get those installed separate or would you need to get a lift that comes with them?

i dunno if lifting with a single bar across the middle would be safe or good for your car. normally it would just be this big square thing that sits in the middle and when you need it you would raise it up a bit and then there would be four arms that you can put on the lift points and then it raises the car up higher after they are in place

2EFNFAST
01-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i dunno if lifting with a single bar across the middle would be safe or good for your car. normally it would just be this big square thing that sits in the middle and when you need it you would raise it up a bit and then there would be four arms that you can put on the lift points and then it raises the car up higher after they are in place

no, not a single bar - what I'm thinking of is a hydraulic center piece that lifts up so you can do maintenance work like tire change, brakes, etc....

I know I've seen it somewhere, I just don't know if it's lift specific or a generic addon for any lift

ercchry
01-05-2009, 12:41 AM
it is called a rolling jack, looks like the width is adjustable, would just need the grooves on the inside of the lift to make it work :dunno:

http://www.naautoequipment.com/user/cimage/ROLLING-JACK.jpg

yue
01-05-2009, 12:44 AM
my mechanic's lift has 4 arms that go under the sides of the car (where you would be lifting if you were changing your tire). is that what you're talking about?