PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell it is January?

kutt3r
01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Gym is full of morons again...

One guy showing off squating 3 plates... :rolleyes: going down about 2 inches, when he went 3 inches I thought he was going to dump it.... but I get the funny look for going all the way down to 90, guess I am doing it wrong....

Another guy benching... didn't know you were supposed to keep the bar at an angle... I was going to mention something like maybe he should be using dumbells as he has a MAJOR imbalance in his chest/shoulders, but I figured I would keep my mouth shut so that he would just hurt himself and not come back.

Dont get me started on all the people trying to figure out the treadmills/elipticals/stair climbers etc... *sigh*

I hate the first 1-3 weeks of the year at the gym... oh well they will all be gone soon.

A790
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by kutt3r
Gym is full of morons again...

One guy showing off squating 3 plates... :rolleyes: going down about 2 inches, when he went 3 inches I thought he was going to dump it.... but I get the funny look for going all the way down to 90, guess I am doing it wrong....

Another guy benching... didn't know you were supposed to keep the bar at an angle... I was going to mention something like maybe he should be using dumbells as he has a MAJOR imbalance in his chest/shoulders, but I figured I would keep my mouth shut so that he would just hurt himself and not come back.

Dont get me started on all the people trying to figure out the treadmills/elipticals/stair climbers etc... *sigh*

I hate the first 1-3 weeks of the year at the gym... oh well they will all be gone soon.
Maybe these guys don't know proper form and are just needing some direction. :)

I totally know that my form sucks for a couple of exercises and I have no problem asking for some guidance from guys that have good form.

masoncgy
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Why don't you give these "morons" some friendly advice to make them feel welcome?

It's difficult for people to break their poor diet & exercise habits and to even get themselves into what is generally considered a very uncomfortable and intimidating environment is a step in the right direction.

There's a reason why so many people avoid the gym... too many individuals looking down their noses at all the newcomers.

Remember, not everyone is as perfect as you think you are.

qbnb
01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Well I'll agree that a gym clogged full of New Years Resolutions is a pain in my ass and most don't last until the end of January, I have to commend those who don't give up. Doing something like maintaining a regular exercise program isn't the easiest thing to do for everyone, so good on them. That said, I have no problem providing constructive critism to any newcommers, even if they will only be there for another week or 2.
It's the guys firing off the stink-eye left and right that I can do without; we were all new at it at some point.

A790
01-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by qbnb
It's the guys firing off the stink-eye left and right that I can do without; we were all new at it at some point.
Right on. :D

wiggaplz
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I haven't been to the gym in a few months......the only thing that has ever irked me was people squatting going down a couple inches. Even people doing half reps bench pressing, or the guys who shrug with 3 plates each side with an inch of ROM, nothing gets me like a guy that squats "heavy" with with no range of motion. Er....

1997GSR
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
haven't seen too many fatties, yet. i have noticed that there is a bunch of new pussy now, and surprisingly in decent shape. the onslaught of new users usually tapers off around mid february at talisman.

Dumbass17
01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
lol
should be interesting today!

or the guys that just YANK the weights on the machine and let momentum do all the work
what a waste of time

civicrider
01-05-2009, 01:18 PM
westside :drool:

Rocky
01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I have no problem w/ incompetence in the gym, especially with newcomers, but the frustration stems from the fact so many aren't going seriously and are just 'resolutioners'. Keep at it for all you guys starting for 2009 though.

theken
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I started going again about a week before new years. I always loved the first 2 weeks in Jan. Lots of fun times and waiting for machines

reiRei
01-05-2009, 02:15 PM
yay, I have to wake up at 8:30 AM for a 9:30 Weight Training Class.. or else I won't have a spot.. woo!

wiggaplz
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
haven't seen too many fatties, yet. i have noticed that there is a bunch of new pussy now, and surprisingly in decent shape. the onslaught of new users usually tapers off around mid february at talisman.

how the hell can anyone work out at talisman? don't get me wrong....you got some amazing eye candy, but the setup there is terrible. it felt like i was cramped up in a friggin' closet.

kutt3r
01-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Why don't you give these "morons" some friendly advice to make them feel welcome?

Its a gym, I am not there to make others feel good about themselves or make them feel welcome. I am there to workout, that is why I pay my monthly fee. If they wanted to know how to exercise properly don't you think they would have asked or researched or something? People fail because they jump in head first without a plan.

It's difficult for people to break their poor diet & exercise habits and to even get themselves into what is generally considered a very uncomfortable and intimidating environment is a step in the right direction.
There's a reason why so many people avoid the gym... too many individuals looking down their noses at all the newcomers.

The reason people avoid the gym is because it is not fun, it is hard work or they have low self esteem, neither I am capable of fixing. If someone is more concerned about what other people think about them versus wanting to better themselves then they have a boatload of other issues they need to deal with first.

I have never turned my nose down to someone that has asked, nor do I think that is the attitude at the gym, everyone there is trying to improve themselves.

Time for people to accept some responsibility for themselves and stop making excuses and blaming everything/everyone.

Remember, not everyone is as perfect as you think you are.

I am certainly not the biggest, strongest, most fit, best looking, ripped guy there, I am just a guy with a little education and some dedication to show up for more than 2 weeks in January.

This is January the best month for gym membership sales, the gyms are packed for the first 2-3 weeks then bare again.. the cycle has not changed in 15 years that I have watched it. Smiling and correcting someones posture is not going to change it.

BigShow
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Another guy benching... didn't know you were supposed to keep the bar at an angle...

Not sure what type of angle your talking about, can you clarify please.

A790
01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Its a gym, I am not there to make others feel good about themselves or make them feel welcome. I am there to workout, that is why I pay my monthly fee. If they wanted to know how to exercise properly don't you think they would have asked or researched or something? People fail because they jump in head first without a plan.
Completely understandable.

I have never turned my nose down to someone that has asked, nor do I think that is the attitude at the gym, everyone there is trying to improve themselves.
That's really cool man. I know that I have asked people for help before and nobody that I've asked has ever talked to me like I was an idiot. Some things, like proper form for a deadlift (;)), seem a bit foreign to someone without the proper experience.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone at the gym that carries a negative attitude around. I've spotted for people, had people spot for me, and asked advice from people on how to do a certain exercise and have never had any kind of problem with it.

Time for people to accept some responsibility for themselves and stop making excuses and blaming everything/everyone.

This one I couldn't agree more with- I don't know how many of my friends talk about losing weight/going to the gym and then never follow through with it. Some of the excuses they say are just ridiculous.

kutt3r
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by A790

To be honest, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone at the gym that carries a negative attitude around. I've spotted for people, had people spot for me, and asked advice from people on how to do a certain exercise and have never had any kind of problem with it.

Some of the coolest people I have met are bodybuilders and power lifters. They are not just muscle heads all juiced up and raging, they are pretty cool people and very smart. If you ask them questions 9 times out of 10 they will be very receptive and helpful, it is just people look at them and get intimidated. I think you will find most people that work out regularly have been over weight before and are very understanding when approached.

That is why I call B$ on all the feel good talk. Its all about doing or own thing and getting it done.

1997GSR
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz

how the hell can anyone work out at talisman? don't get me wrong....you got some amazing eye candy, but the setup there is terrible. it felt like i was cramped up in a friggin' closet.

i hear ya. the place has gone to shit (past year especially)

Realistic
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
you should pm me when they all scatter.

im new to town, just moved here on friday..
need to get to the gym, but dont want to deal with the cluttered'ness

KRyn
01-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I fucking hate when people do curls in the squat rack or stretching on the platforms.

kutt3r
01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I fucking hate when people do curls in the squat rack or stretching on the platforms.

haha I got in 'trouble' for doing deadlifts in the rack (there was a guy doing curls on the lifting platform, and the gym is small so no where else to go)

The guy working is cool and he came around the corner as the physio place downstair was complaining as I touch ground with DL's and I guess it was a little noisey, metal vs bumper plates. As soon as he saw the guy curling on the lifting platform he headed over chatted with him and came over and chatted with me.

No biggie, I just think that it is 'more impressive' curling an olympic bar even with a couple of 10's on it? :D

I will do it once in a while when I am training forearms and used the thick olympic bar, as there is just no room to put in on the floor... so I cant complain too much.
:rolleyes:

Dumbass17
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
man i wish my gym had a seated preacher curl set up
or barbells lol

Wildcat
01-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Some of the coolest people I have met are bodybuilders and power lifters. They are not just muscle heads all juiced up and raging, they are pretty cool people and very smart. If you ask them questions 9 times out of 10 they will be very receptive and helpful, it is just people look at them and get intimidated. I think you will find most people that work out regularly have been over weight before and are very understanding when approached.

That is why I call B$ on all the feel good talk. Its all about doing or own thing and getting it done.

Its human nature for the younger, smaller guys to feel intimidated by the builders. Its an animalistic alpha male mentality, so naturally they feel intimidated. In reality many of the bigger guys, including myself are very approachable and willing to offer advice to those interested in listening.

The sad part is when you catch the little guys checking you out, then they start throwing weight around that they have no business lifting in the first place. Its some sort of mental compensation i think lol.

95gtchick
01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
And the OP is the reason I don't go to the gym. I'm self conscious enough as is, let alone to have someone looking down on what I would be doing wrong, instead of trying to help.

kutt3r
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 95gtchick
And the OP is the reason I don't go to the gym. I'm self conscious enough as is, let alone to have someone looking down on what I would be doing wrong, instead of trying to help.

Good excuse... I am the reason that people don't go the gym now... Christ I probably have more people at my gym making fun of me, than I ever notice. Do I care? No. I am there to improve myself, not to feel accepted by a group of strangers.

Seriously people, I do not go to the gym to point and laugh at people...I go to work out and if I observe something it is not my responsability to correct them. If I chose to vent about it on an internet forum then so be it. If it hurts your feelings, sorry suck it up... I guess I am an a$$hole.

Pay a trainer $80/hr and you will have someones full attention and they will help you with all you need to be set up safetly and educated. You need maybe 3 sessions with a good trainer to get you started, them maybe a follow up every few months for progress updates. Is that really that much money for a life time of knowledge to apply to your health?

If it is too much $$$ then ask questions, read, educate yourself before getting in over your head and hurting yourself. I dare you to find one person that I have not answered a question for or at least tried to help. If you ask I will answer, if you expect, expect to be disappointed.

Heres a little quote:
"Sometimes people will hear you and be able to change their behavior, but often their behavior has more to do with their own need for approval than with your need for support. No matter what their response, you need to be firm and hold your ground. At the end of the day, your health is your responsibility."
— Jillian Michaels

Jillian is one mean b!tch, but I like her no nonsense attitude.

BigShow
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
man i wish my gym had a seated preacher curl set up
or barbells lol

Surprisingly the preacher bench is rarely used at my gym. Its awesome for forearms!! (using your wrists to lift the bar up)

A790
01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

Surprisingly the preacher bench is rarely used at my gym. Its awesome for forearms!! (using your wrists to lift the bar up)
It's a great isolation exercise (preacher curls), but anyone training to bulk up knows that there are more effective workouts.

Toma
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

LMAO!!! I have a different rule... if you are using UNDER 135 pounds, stay out of the squat racks.

Toma
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Ask for help?

Being a chick, some guys won't help you cause it may be interpreted as trying to hit on you....

Toma
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Pay a trainer $80/hr and you will have someones full attention and they will help you with all you need to be set up safetly and educated. You need maybe 3 sessions with a good trainer
Have you seen the gay ass shit trainers are teaching their clients lately?

I would have to say no to trainers for anything but teaching exercise form. lol

reiRei
01-07-2009, 12:50 PM

I don't go to the gym to look down on what people are doing wrong, but when I'm in a class with a room full of ladies and the instructor is in the front of the room showing you the proper form for the weights you're lifting, I have an issue believing that you didn't see the proper form and what not to do... that's when it starts to bug me...

kutt3r
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Have you seen the gay ass shit trainers are teaching their clients lately?

I would have to say no to trainers for anything but teaching exercise form. lol

I am not talking World Health Trainers, but I do understand where you are coming from.

There are a ton of great trainers in Calgary, for powerlifting, body building and general conditioning as well. It is like anything else you get what you pay for and you have to do your homework.

I think personalitly fit is important too.

BigShow
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Ask for help?

Being a chick, some guys won't help you cause it may be interpreted as trying to hit on you....

I've always wondered what the unspoken rules are for hitting on a chick at the gym:dunno: is it off limits? acceptable? why not?

kerry
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the gym this time of year is the regulars that are dicks. I'm all for people hitting the gym, and though I think New Years reso's are a bullshit reason to start (you can always just go whenever), it's great that people are getting in shape and doing something for themselves.

That being said, the regulars that expect people to be fast and are dicks about it, those are the ones we can do without at the gym. I gave an older lady (about 45-50 years old) shit the other day for being a pain in the ass. She was huffing and walking aroudn throwing a tantrum about all of the treadmills being used. I, naturally, gave her shit for acting like a child and making people feel uncomfortable when they're new at the gym.

That's my 2c.

x.staygold.x
01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by kerry
The only thing that bothers me about the gym this time of year is the regulars that are dicks. I'm all for people hitting the gym, and though I think New Years reso's are a bullshit reason to start (you can always just go whenever), it's great that people are getting in shape and doing something for themselves.

That being said, the regulars that expect people to be fast and are dicks about it, those are the ones we can do without at the gym. I gave an older lady (about 45-50 years old) shit the other day for being a pain in the ass. She was huffing and walking aroudn throwing a tantrum about all of the treadmills being used. I, naturally, gave her shit for acting like a child and making people feel uncomfortable when they're new at the gym.

That's my 2c.

Then did you give her a flying arm bar?!?

r3ccOs
01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
@ Goodlife Canyon Meadows on Tuesday

Older lady being "trained" by the big Mr. Clean looking dude.... the one with the massive pipes

This way overweight bitch was decked out in Lulu's (again its a effing privilidge not a right) bitch about how she didn't like the exercises he was putting her through.

They walk up to some steps... He's about to talk

She cuts him off and say, no!

He says: huh?

She says, no, I don't care I don't want to use that.

Alright, he pulls over a Bosu ball

She says: No!

He's kinda scratching his head at this point and asked what her goals were.

After a quick chat, he explains that nobody likes doing excercises that they're not good at, but the more they do it the better they get at it, the better the result.

Again this old Grey hair'd bitch says: No!

He just drops his clipboard and walks away lol

kerry
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by x.staygold.x

Then did you give her a flying arm bar?!?

I officially hate you lol.

x.staygold.x
01-08-2009, 07:40 PM

I officially hate you lol.

I'm sorry dude...i couldn't resist

Wildcat
01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
@ Goodlife Canyon Meadows on Tuesday

Older lady being "trained" by the big Mr. Clean looking dude.... the one with the massive pipes

This way overweight bitch was decked out in Lulu's (again its a effing privilidge not a right) bitch about how she didn't like the exercises he was putting her through.

They walk up to some steps... He's about to talk

She cuts him off and say, no!

He says: huh?

She says, no, I don't care I don't want to use that.

Alright, he pulls over a Bosu ball

She says: No!

He's kinda scratching his head at this point and asked what her goals were.

After a quick chat, he explains that nobody likes doing excercises that they're not good at, but the more they do it the better they get at it, the better the result.

Again this old Grey hair'd bitch says: No!

He just drops his clipboard and walks away lol

LOL :rofl: The Mr. Clean looking guy's name is Dave, I'm going to have a good laugh with him about this tomorrow. ahaha

kerry
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by x.staygold.x

I'm sorry dude...i couldn't resist

Because you're my friend I should ban you... hahahaha. You're not straight edge anymore anyways so you can get rid of the X's.

On a more "on topic" note, I hit my gym today with Tommy Lee the Rocker and there was SO much JB. I'll be doing 2 a days for a while now ;)

A790
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Because you're my friend I should ban you... hahahaha. You're not straight edge anymore anyways so you can get rid of the X's.

On a more "on topic" note, I hit my gym today with Tommy Lee the Rocker and there was SO much JB. I'll be doing 2 a days for a while now ;)
MRC is FULL of it right now.

x.staygold.x
01-09-2009, 03:18 AM

Well i will come with you next time if this is the case...

swak
01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
i love the people that can't figure out the bikes...
They turn off, but when you start pedalling they jump back on...
But they will sit down put all their stuff down on the bike, realize the screen is off, go to another one do the same thing etc... lol

pinoyhero
01-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Yup, my gym is cranked up too, I sometimes think a bunch of the trainers dont even know what they are doing ... 3 sets of 75% ROM bicep curls, come on.

swak
01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Yup, my gym is cranked up too, I sometimes think a bunch of the trainers dont even know what they are doing ... 3 sets of 75% ROM bicep curls, come on.

I think at this time of the year the trainers are just looking for the client to feel the burn (since they are new, they dont know better, so the trainers dont have to put as much time into the workout program) Then if they get the 'burn feeling' they feel all confident and probably do more business with said trainer.

Its all marketing my friend.

Anton
01-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I took a little bit of time off during holidays, then read this thread and was not looking forward to go to the gym. Got there..and it was dead! I do go quite late (11pm) but it was slower than I'v ever seen it so I'm glad! (Gold's on 130th SE)