PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel!

megavolt
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
For anyone that cares (TDI owners probably, maybe the truck crowd), GreenWay Fuels (http://www.greenwayfuels.ca/blog.html) has opened a biodiesel pump in Turner Valley.

Their site doesn't seem to have an address (or I'm blind) but I've got an email into them to find out where it is.

In winter they're selling a B5 blend but their site says you can buy B100 from them (I would rather mix at home rather than take trips out to Turner Valley every month).

scat19
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm just doing research on what it is and what gains etc.

I have heard this word biodesiel around, but never really looked into it.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

B(Some Number Here) is the blend

B20 = 20% Non-Petroleum, 80% Petroleum.

B20 Can be run in most desiels without modification or performance loss.

B100 = 100% non-petroleum needs modifications if you dont want maintenance issue.

Cool!

Zero102
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah Jamie from Green Way is going to be retailing biodiesel in containers delivered in the Calgary area. It will be B100. I am not sure how much I should say so please contact them directly for more information, but I will say that I am on his customers list and should be taking my first delivery next week :D

The Turner Valley pump opened last month btw, and turner valley is small enough you don't need an address ;)

megavolt
01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Found it on google maps. :)

ricosuave
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
thanks for the tip!

as a FYI to everyone, you probably dont want to be running more than B20 on a regular basis unless you change the fuel lines and seals in your injection pump. straight B100 is hard on rubber.

Zero102
01-05-2009, 11:06 PM
All newer cars are fine, older cars should have any rubber fuel lines replaced with viton to make sure they don't leak if you run B100. Other than that B100 is safe for most cars, but since there is bound to be a massive slew of misinformation here if we let this get started, I will say find a forum for your specific make or model or a biodiesel specific forum for further information.

In my 05 golf I will be running B20 through the winter, B50 as it warms up and B100 all summer. The golf is just plain happier on the bio ;) Plus, exhaust that smells like french fries instead of diesel is nice, and the complete lack of smoke on bio.

Kloubek
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... french fries!

Can't one use filtered cooking oil as well?

megavolt
01-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Took a trip out there today. Simple one pump cardlock setup (takes credit cards/debit, no membership required).

Should be getting a shipment of B100 from them next week.

atgilchrist
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... french fries!

Can't one use filtered cooking oil as well?

Indeed you can. My Grandparents live in Sorrento BC, and my Grandpa used to go around to all the pubs around them and pick up their used oil. When the oil was filtered and a few additives were added, it worked great. He ran 80+% biodiesel all year in a 03 Jetta Diesel. But there was always a lingering french fry smell in the garage, made me hungry.

Zero102
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Are you trying to argue that running vegetable oil is the same as biodiesel? Because if they are that is SERIOUSLY wrong. They aren't even close to each other, and running WVO/SVO in your car is something that should be done ONLY by people who fully understand the process and any consequences. It is tricky to get right, but when you do the results are great.

Discussions like this should probably not be started here since the thread will get flooded with mis-information and somebody will probably end up wrecking their engine somewhere down the road as a result ;)

There are tons of forums out there for biodiesel / alternative fuel discussion where far more information and anecdotal evidence can be found and presented :D

benyl
01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
How much is bio diesel in relation to regular diesel? More expensive, or less?

Is this an economic alternative or an environmental one?

megavolt
01-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I agree.

I put up this post to let people know about the availability of retail biodiesel in the Calgary area. Not to start a discussion about running SVO.

megavolt
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by benyl
How much is bio diesel in relation to regular diesel? More expensive, or less?

Is this an economic alternative or an environmental one?

Biodiesel blends are usually a little cheaper than regular diesel. So... both economic and environmental.

atgilchrist
01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
^^ I agree with you guys. I wasn't trying to derail the post, and I have VERY limited knowledge on the subject, just adding to the conversation.

lison
01-18-2009, 05:12 PM
i love that episode of Dirty Jobs about Biodiesel