PDA

View Full Version : Would you move to Saint Johns, NB?

Dumbass17
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
so i have an opportunity to go work in Saint John's New Brunswick. I've never been more east in canada than calgary haha.
i have no knowledge of NB and i have nothing holding me back lol. this would be a relocate, live, and move my life out east.

any thoughts haha:dunno:

jswankster
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Do it .. as long as you have Beyond... lol

Amysicle
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Go for it. You're young! It's a job and I hear it's cheaper to live out there. If you really don't like it there, come back in a few months. What do you have to lose?

It's a great opportunity.

1997GSR
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
hell no

Antonito
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Do you like meeting new people? That's usually the thing that causes the most problems for people when moving to a different region.

adidas
01-06-2009, 01:16 AM
i work with a bunch of guys that moved down here from NS...they all mention that its better to an extent over there!

spikerS
01-06-2009, 03:14 AM
if the job was stable, and didnt involve fishing or lobster, by the time you wrote your question, I would already be there.

Cheaper cost of living, cheaper houses, cheaper everything.

$15 hour out there is like $40 in calgary.

CUG
01-06-2009, 03:27 AM
If there were jobs and they didn't drink 9 days a week, maybe.

ekguy
01-06-2009, 03:48 AM
speaking from experience since I'm from NB that Saint John is a frikkin hole. It's gross, polluted and boring...

Consider those things when thinking of doing this.

ExtraSlow
01-06-2009, 08:01 AM
If I made out there what I make here, I'd move in a heartbeat.
House prices are so much lower, it's like getting a huge raise.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm in Saint John right now and I grew up in a small town about 10 mins inland called Rothesay, just outside of Saint John.

After 18 years of living here I couldn't WAIT to get the hell out of here.

- Saint John gets fog at least every second day in the summer.
- The largest refinery in NA is literaly in your backyard (air quality reflects that)
- This is a very DIRTY industrial city, you have seen poor till you've been here.
- It depends on what you're doing... if you're in a trade, the money can be pretty damn good down here, IF you're in a union. Otherwise, it's usually shit.

If you have any other questions... don't hesitate to ask or pm me.

n1zm0
01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
what about all the lobster? :drool:

really tho, is lobster that much cheaper in NS/NB etc compared to here?

Jlude
01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Yes.

Eleanor
01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Saint John, not Saint John's.

Dumbass(17) :D

em2ab
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Beat me to it. Saint John's is in Newfoundland.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by em2ab

Beat me to it. Saint John's is in Newfoundland.

It's insane, how many times I've corrected people on that when I tell them where I'm from.

I'll snap some pictures today of what you have to look forward to when coming to Saint John.

msommers
01-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Too bad both suck;)

Kloubek
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM
It IS a lot cheaper.

Personally, I would rather live in the West. But then, I'm 33 and looking to settle down. If you're young and have your whole life ahead of you, I would say: Go for it! If nothing else, it will be quite an experience!

Jlude
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I just snapped a bunch of pics of Saint John. I'll load them in a second.

nat_skyline
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
St John is IMO one of the worst cities In NB.
people there are Cranky but compared to calgary they're friendly :P
you'd be an hour away from Parlee Beach (the thing I miss the most about being out here)
Def. cheaper as everyone is saying but keep in mind you're mostlikely gonna be making alot less then here too.
but they know how to drive so that's a plus..
Down fall like alex said it's a stinky city...
if you do decide to go and want to come back, wait till after summer when you get to experiance true maritime fun
:thumbsup:

A790
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
The maritimes are beautiful in the summer, but hoo boy, be prepared for more SNOW than you've ever experienced in the winter.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by A790
The maritimes are beautiful in the summer, but hoo boy, be prepared for more SNOW than you've ever experienced in the winter.

Yes. More snow than you've ever seen!

Jlude
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Welcome to Saint John

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0053.jpg

Greco!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0064.jpg

Deluxe

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0065-1.jpg

Doesn't look like it from the pictures... but it's the largest refinery in North America.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0079-1.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0080.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0081-1.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0088-1.jpg

Saint John City Market

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0091-1.jpg

Back of the market

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0097.jpg

Looking down King Street East towards the Saint John Harbor

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0093-1.jpg

another shot of the refinery

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0088-1.jpg

Saint John Energy and where the tankers bring in the Oil for refining.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/IMG_0101-1.jpg

That's all... I gotta catch a flight in an hour...

And yes, Saint John has a unique smell, doesn't matter how long you live here, you always notice it. The whole west side smells like shit. Big thanks to Irving for that too!

Dumbass17
01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
man i wish pictures loaded at work

keep the input coming guys!

A790
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
man i wish pictures loaded at work

keep the input coming guys!
It's an old city and it definitely looks it. Lots of brick, some run down buildings, etc.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by A790

It's an old city and it definitely looks it. Lots of brick, some run down buildings, etc.

Oldest industrial city in Canada. Lots of history here.

Subwoofah
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I was there in January and Febuary 2008 and I thought it wasn't such a bad city. There are a lot of developments happening around the city which are supposed to create a tonne of new jobs for a couple of years. Real estate has been going up and up. Properties are cheap and they're now getting more than their asking prices. Its one of the few places in Canada where your rent/price of house is above 10%.

As for the quality of living, yes it seemed slummish in parts of the city. They have a couple of malls and downtown is more a historic area with a few high rise buildings. Population in the city is about 60,000 and when 3 cruise ships come into the city it swells to about 70-80k.

Nice people who love their cats, some crazy people who talk about how they want to be buried next to their family in the cemetery, and asians who are usually all fobs.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
even though I've told you a lot of negative things about saint john, one thing you should know, if you walk into pretty much any pub by yourself and sit down, within 5-10 minutes you'll have a new friend. It's a very down to earth city.

Subwoofah
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
If you want more details go here

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120401

this has pretty much everything you need to know about developments about saint john.

badatusrnames
01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
I had some female friends from Halifax telling me that since there is such a shortage of men out there due to all of them moving out west for work, that it's a much easier place to be a single guy than in Calgary.

Not sure if the same holds true for St John though.

xLostx
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I was born in Red Deer but grew up in PEI, lived there for 18 years, and have been to St. John multiple times, most of the city is old and crappy looking, old houses, buildings, etc. Depending on what the job was and how much it paid would be the big factors for me, cost of living is cheaper out east but it's just different in the maritimes lol, which isn't a bad thing though. I love PEI but wouldn't move back unless I was like 60 and retiring.

em2ab
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Oldest industrial city in Canada. Lots of history here.
Oldest in North America I believe. I know Saint John's is the oldest city overall in North America, most of the cities in eastern Canada are the oldest something in North America.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
I had some female friends from Halifax telling me that since there is such a shortage of men out there due to all of them moving out west for work, that it's a much easier place to be a single guy than in Calgary.

Not sure if the same holds true for St John though.

Maritime women have low standards. Most of them do, that's for sure.
They're typically down to earth and rather than get excited about meeting a young guy making 6 figures like Calgary women, they're happy to meet a guy with a steady job.

I have many girlfriends from high school living in Calgary now and they all love the difference in how they get treated by the guys they date.

captain134
01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

my family was paying $3.50 a pound over the holidays.

Dumbass17
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
hmmm those pictures make it look like a shithole haha

well i am from a small town of about 17,000 and moved to calgary (like everyone else) when i was 19 and have been here since.

i'm currently 24 and make around $26/hour

the job would be a structural designer (yes, cadd monkey) doing primarily revamp work (which i have yet to do...)

i'm kinda shy but can make friends easily :P ...well cept on beyond due to my sarcastic/idiotic posts :P

IggyB
01-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Those pics bring back good memories. I stayed at the Delta across from the market for 2 months while working at the refinery.

The weather in SJ sucks, you have to move out of the city a few miles. People are very friendly. Only a couple of times that I could not understand what was being said to me.

Not a bad place to live if you're earning a reasonable living.

Jlude
01-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
hmmm those pictures make it look like a shithole haha

well i am from a small town of about 17,000 and moved to calgary (like everyone else) when i was 19 and have been here since.

i'm currently 24 and make around $26/hour

the job would be a structural designer (yes, cadd monkey) doing primarily revamp work (which i have yet to do...)

i'm kinda shy but can make friends easily :P ...well cept on beyond due to my sarcastic/idiotic posts :P

We're in the same field.
You must have gotten an offer from fluor, cause I know Irving just dropped from one of the mines ocean steel was working on.

There are a couple big projects starting in saint john. The refinery expansion and then lepreau.

88jbody
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I lived about an hour away from there for 7 years. 50,000/year is very good money there. I was making 20,000/year as a mechanic and was living pay to pay but did ok.

Saint John is not a pretty to look at city. There are worse but it is a port city and all based on the refinery and spin off work so does look dirty.

downtown and the south end is very history rich.

Moncton is a nicer city and the strip clubs are better, lap dances and all, Saint john the strip clubs are like here, no touching ect...

Jlude
01-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
I lived about an hour away from there for 7 years. 50,000/year is very good money there. I was making 20,000/year as a mechanic and was living pay to pay but did ok.

Saint John is not a pretty to look at city. There are worse but it is a port city and all based on the refinery and spin off work so does look dirty.

downtown and the south end is very history rich.

Moncton is a nicer city and the strip clubs are better, lap dances and all, Saint john the strip clubs are like here, no touching ect...

50k is not "very" good money for SJ. You'll be able to survive, but you're not gonna be livin' it up or anything.
Housing prices have gone up quite a bit in the last 4-5 years.

Yes, Downtown (King Square, Queen Square, The boardwalk) and the South End have many old buildings, Saint John also has a couple Loyalist Cemeteries.

Moncton is a much nicer city, half french though.

Don't waste your time going to the only strip club in SJ.

Supa Dexta
01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
jesus if moncton is a "nice city" saint johns must be a shit hole.. :rofl:

Jlude
01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

:rofl: :rofl:

ekguy
01-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Saint John is a shit hole...Frederecton is even better than Saint JOhn...Dunno why people don't know this yet hehe.

Jlude
01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

Saint John is a shit hole...Frederecton is even better than Saint JOhn...Dunno why people don't know this yet hehe.

Fredericton is a nicer city.

khtm
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
You're 24 and you've never been east of Calgary?

Wow. :cry:

Anyways, I personally would do it if you're not stuck in a commitment you can't get out of. It'd be fun to live there for a while, the East Coast has a whole different vibe than here. But I would definitely not want to live there long term.

Dumbass17
01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by khtm
You're 24 and you've never been east of Calgary?

Wow. :cry:

Anyways, I personally would do it if you're not stuck in a commitment you can't get out of. It'd be fun to live there for a while, the East Coast has a whole different vibe than here. But I would definitely not want to live there long term.
I haven't been further east in CANADA than calgary. I've been all over europe and a few places in the states. haha

88jbody
01-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I did enjoy it back there. but I think untill I retire I will not be going back for more then the occational visit to my family.

I moved to Calgary 4 years ago and have not ever thought of moving back, even the wife who did not want to leave her parents changed her mind after moving here and does not want to move back either.

Generic
01-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Kyle, its a good place to live if you are making good money there. But on its own, I think Calgary is a better place. I think Moncton is much nicer.