PDA

View Full Version : GOOD viet locations in the South

JfuckinC
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
anyone know of any good viet rest's in the midnapore/shawnessy area? something along the lines of qyuhn's by sunridge? not like the one by tigers (pho xian or something?) on 36th :barf:

ercchry
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
is there such a thing? haha only good places i have ate in are technically in the se.... 17ave se

apparently the place over in avenita (sp?) (same parking lot as timmy's and papa john's) is ok for south pho. i have not ate it before but i have a buddy that has ate at almost every pho restaurant in town and thats what he tells me

SJW
01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Theres one in the same complex area as the movie theatre over by midnapore/shawnessy. Its in the same building as the bookstore but more toward the corner.

JfuckinC
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Theres one in the same complex area as the movie theatre over by midnapore/shawnessy. Its in the same building as the bookstore but more toward the corner.

Shawnessy vietnamese? have you ever tried that ish out? Were just lookin for a place we can go munch at lunch from work..

adam c
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
qyhuns? really? that place sucks balls

17th ave ftw!

JfuckinC
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by adam c
qyhuns? really? that place sucks balls

17th ave ftw!

I'm white hahahaha... i like it there cause there meat is real! at this other place i went to it was like this gross proccessed patty chopped up.. :nut:
I know some poeple like that, but it was gross to me!

yanivbar
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
how about bolsa restaraunt

adam c
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

I'm white hahahaha... i like it there cause there meat is real! at this other place i went to it was like this gross proccessed patty chopped up.. :nut:
I know some poeple like that, but it was gross to me!

that's cause you ordered beef brisket..
order rare beef or beef steak and you will be fine

i went there last week and their pho tasted like water and their spring rolls were pretty flavorless

edit. what pho are you ordering actually?
pho dac biet will have a bunch of stuff you won't like

A790
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Shawnessy vietnamese? have you ever tried that ish out? Were just lookin for a place we can go munch at lunch from work..
I've been there a few times, pretty decent. Then again, I'm a white guy so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

adam c
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
travel a little further down the road to deerfoot meadows, there is a pho place in there across the parking lot from best buy, it's called Pho

it's pretty good there

phunx
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I prefer Mimosa over Shawnessy Vietnamese. It's over by Zellars.

JfuckinC
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM

edit. what pho are you ordering actually?
pho dac biet will have a bunch of stuff you won't like

I rarely order pho, i usually get vermicelli and salad rolls and shit..
i only get pho if im really craving some soup haha..

TomcoPDR
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Yea it's pretty good there.

You pay at the till afterwards, but I think the owner is rich or have something on the side, he'd process your credit card slips and just walk away, so you can basically not tip as well than if they were watching.

Nice big place too.

colinxx235
01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
saigon royal in douglasdale next to swiftys is pretty good imo for south viet, not sure if anyone else has tried

Mibz
01-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by phunx
I prefer Mimosa over Shawnessy Vietnamese. It's over by Zellars. +1. Little more expensive but much better food. I haven't been to the one in Avenida yet. I'll usually end up making the drive to Pho Hoai in Southland Crossing since my GF works near there.

eb0i
01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
travel a little further down the road to deerfoot meadows, there is a pho place in there across the parking lot from best buy, it's called Pho

it's pretty good there

It's called Pho Le.

Dumbass17
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
i've been so shawnessy vietnamese a few times
i've only tried the soups and the viet subs.. the veit subs aren't bad but not nearly enough meat. don't order the beef, there was ilke one tiny chunk haha

i'm going this friday, if i remember, i'll post up a new review

mac_82
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
apparently the place over in avenita (sp?) (same parking lot as timmy's and papa john's) is ok for south pho. i have not ate it before but i have a buddy that has ate at almost every pho restaurant in town and thats what he tells me

I haven't been there in about 4 years but I think it was called Mina's. They have great bun, never had pho there.

JfuckinC
01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Yea it's pretty good there.

You pay at the till afterwards, but I think the owner is rich or have something on the side, he'd process your credit card slips and just walk away, so you can basically not tip as well than if they were watching.

Nice big place too.

Yah we went there just now. It wasnt too bad, they brought me the wrong thing and i didnt notice and ate it anyway hahaha. it was pretty good .
But yah they are pretty spaced out, even more than the usualy viet rest haha..

n1zm0
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
saigon royal in douglasdale next to swiftys is pretty good imo for south viet, not sure if anyone else has tried

for the price i'd rather go up 130th to chi lan, neither beat 17th ave but chi lan is my first choice in that area.

the owner of saigon royal kept trying to sell me on how great his soup was cause i was talking about how one of the best i've had was Dau Bo, you know the typical, 'ohhh better than that'

i was excited as hell, then it was dissapointment city :(

sputnik
01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I like Pho Hoai.

It's in the same parking lot as Jack Astors (Macleod and Southland).

max_boost
01-06-2009, 03:09 PM
^
Never been to that location but if it has the same consistency as the one in Chinatown, then it's damn good stuff. :drool:

KRyn
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I like Pho Hoai.

I am going to have to give this place a try ASAP!

jus_sum_guy
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^
Never been to that location but if it has the same consistency as the one in Chinatown, then it's damn good stuff. :drool:

We sold this place a while back but let them continue to use our name.
The food is not up to our standards so we will not be allowing them to use our name anymore...

Just some food for thought!

szw
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy

The food is not up to our standards so we will not be allowing them to use our name anymore...

LOL Did you have that written in the contract?

jus_sum_guy
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
We did.

It's already in the process of getting changed

QuasarCav
01-06-2009, 04:31 PM

I was not overly impressed by this location. Maybe I'll give the one in Deerfoot Meadows a try.

max_boost
01-06-2009, 05:27 PM

There's a taller Vietnamese, kind of big guy at the counter, is that your brother or Uncle etc.? I haven't seen your mom there the last few times.

jus_sum_guy
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

There's a taller Vietnamese, kind of big guy at the counter, is that your brother or Uncle etc.? I haven't seen your mom there the last few times.

Brother

My mother is in Vietnam right now. Left a few weeks ago and won't be back until next month

dannie
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
In the south there isn't a lot of good places. There is Shawnessy Vietnamese (By the movie theatre), Mimosa (By Zellers), Sunshine (By Arbys on Canyon Meadows), Pang Pang (In Deer Run), Bolsa (McLeod..... obviously not a good choice this week), the one at Southland Crossing and Minas (In Avenida).

Out of all of those, Minas is the best. The couple that own it are super nice, their dumplings are really good and the pho is awesome. They have a version 15c... yes I know im an idiot for knowing the number off by heart, its a thai style chicken sate soup. :drool:

n1zm0
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Pang Pang (In Deer Run)

lol Pang Pang is most def not viet..

i used to hang around deer run in HS at a buddies and the guy would order it every damned weekend.

A790
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Rice King by Ranchmans is good. I go there pretty often :)

dannie
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

i used to hang around deer run in HS at a buddies and the guy would order it every damned weekend.

I know eh?? I threw it in the mix in case he was in that area :)

rps13_sx
01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
i like to eat in pang pang shot gun

86max
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I like Pho Hoai.

:werd: I go there once a week, pretty good food. Just smells weird sometimes because of that fountain.

4doorj
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM

for the price i'd rather go up 130th to chi lan,
I hate that place. Pho tastes like water and their servings are really small. And it's expensive. It's the only place I know of in the Mckenzie area. I've gone their twice to see if it was only that one time it was bad. But it wasn't. I would rather drive across the city to eat pho. I love the place in castleridege by scotia bank. So tasty, but they have increased their prices alot too.

Graham_A_M
01-07-2009, 12:07 AM

Yeah that shits disgusting. I hate that place.
EVERYTHING tastes the same, no matter what you order. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

n1zm0
01-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj

I hate that place. Pho tastes like water and their servings are really small. And it's expensive. It's the only place I know of in the Mckenzie area. I've gone their twice to see if it was only that one time it was bad. But it wasn't. I would rather drive across the city to eat pho. I love the place in castleridege by scotia bank. So tasty, but they have increased their prices alot too.

Goto Saigon royal and compare the two, chilan is the best of the two IMO if you don't want to drive too far from mckenzie/douglasdale

Plus Saigon royals prices are insane for the boiled water and beef bouillon vermicelli they call pho

phunx
01-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm not that much of a fan of Chi Lan. Would rather drive another 5mins to Shawnessy.

max_boost
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

I went there once and thought the same thing. Maybe that's how the white folks like it? I don't know lol

SigmaRacing
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Saigon Y2K across from Chinook has always been good to us. May not be far enough south for the OP though...

A|pine
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SigmaRacing
Saigon Y2K across from Chinook has always been good to us. May not be far enough south for the OP though...

That y2k does a good job.

Never eat at the Crowchild location though.

GQNammer
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
lol@chi lan

Guess if you like boiled water with a little bit of salt you should go there.

Pho hoai and Saigon Royal is average at best.

If you want consistancy and something that comes close to 17ave quality, go to Pho Anh. It's on mcleod and heritage drive a couple stores down from the london drugs (where the old Perkins used to be). Not the greatest but maybe the best place in the south. Owned by a tight nit family and one of the few vietnamese restaurants out there that's not funded by drug money.

LongCity
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by dannie
In the south there isn't a lot of good places. There is Shawnessy Vietnamese (By the movie theatre), Mimosa (By Zellers), Sunshine (By Arbys on Canyon Meadows), Pang Pang (In Deer Run), Bolsa (McLeod..... obviously not a good choice this week), the one at Southland Crossing and Minas (In Avenida).

Out of all of those, Minas is the best. The couple that own it are super nice, their dumplings are really good and the pho is awesome. They have a version 15c... yes I know im an idiot for knowing the number off by heart, its a thai style chicken sate soup. :drool:

Damn, those are very... Vietnamese-esque names if you ask me...!

lelalong
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by A|pine

That y2k does a good job.

Never eat at the Crowchild location though.

:werd: I've never gone to the one on MacLeod because the Crowchild one is subpar... good to know its okay. How is the pho? I like Bagolac for the Bun but the Sate pho isn't good.

Graham_A_M
01-09-2009, 12:06 AM
:werd: I love that place, I go there all the time now. :thumbsup: :drool:

bigbadboss101
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Saigon Baglac by Chinook LRT.

adam c
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101

:rofl:

n1zm0
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101

:thumbsdow

before new management yes.. they were alright and thats pushing it!

only go there for bun.. seriously..

bigbadboss101
01-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Don't know about new management. It's been a year since I last went.

95RSzy
01-16-2009, 07:56 AM

I will agree, been there many times, the food is great and the service :)

Mitsu3000gt
01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I've never had a bad meal at the Bag. #121 on coconut rice :drool: :drool: