PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen in tires? pressure sensors?

Godfuader
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
So, took the wife's RAV4 (US Model) in for an oil change and the tech says that all he can do is check the tire pressure, because its Nitrogen filled. How does this work now? If I ever notice the pressure going down, I have to find a Nitrogen tank...or can I use regular air? What is the benefit of having Nitrogen in your tires instead of air?

Secondly, the car is supposed to be equipped with pressure sensors which are missing for whatever reason, causing the warning light to stay on. Can I buy generic sensors as the Canadian Rav did not come with them. As well, someone said that the spare has a sensor too?

Thanks

badatusrnames
01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
It's been discussed here before.

Air is already 79% nitrogen. Pure nitrogen in tires isn't necessary for street tires, not in the least. For racing, yes (due to controlling water vapour) and being able to predict expansion. Otherwise it's a big scam. Dealerships will try to charge a couple hundred bucks to get people to put it in their tires when their cost is pennies.

anschutz_92
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Nitrogen is safe with "regular air". You may fill up your tires from any source.

Going out on a bit of a limb here because I do not work with tires but a Toyota would have the stem style sensors you would have to buy OEM sensors if you wish to replace them. If you have a metal stem the sensors are still present, but not in working condition.

dj_rice
01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
The whole filling your tires with Nitrogen mumbo jumbo is just another money grab pitch service advisors at dealerships like to push for, filling tires with Nitrogen is supposed to (I'm recalling this off a brochure from work)

#1, keep your tires inflated longer than regular old air
#2, there is an increase in speed and performance/fuel mileage
#3, will always remain the same PSI no matter what temp if -50 below or +30

There is no added benefit filling it with Nitrogen over air other than it costs money to use whereas air is free and #1 it doesn't not keep your tires inflated longer, thats BS same goes for #3 as I've filled mine up with Nitrogen and in less than a week it dropped 7 psi on all tires, where I work, there have been numerous customer cars coming in complaining about tire pressure sensor warning lights coming on and guess what...90% of them were filled with Nitrogen, to offset the TPSL coming on, most dealerships will overfill your tires to offset the winter temps

badatusrnames
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

You're right, those are all huge BS. Especially number 3.

5000Audi
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
the TPMS on the Toyota would be the ones in your valve stems, and buying them well.. they have a hefty price tag to go with them, when i worked at Kaltire, i broke one on a tundra and it cost 70 bucks for a new one..

this is what your valve stem should look like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/quickdtoo/TPS2.jpg

and if your rims don't have those, well the rims arnt factory for that vehicle...

CelicaST-162
01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Canadian 09 Rav4's dont have a tire pressure monitor. What year is it? 06-08 don't have TPMS either...

AE92_TreunoSC
01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
As a technician, I do see less pressure variance in the tyres as the seasons change.

But really, you should have your tyre pressure checked every service, plus with seasonal tyres there's really no excuse to have more then 5 psi of change.

Those stupid sensors are enough to cause a vehicle to fail the OPI, which pisses me off, because even if the tyres are perfectly set to the factory specs, the light being on is an automatic fail according to the OPI guide.

Replacing them is very expensive, and you need them on the winter rims as well to avoid voiding warranty.

TYMSMNY
01-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
If I am not mistaken, the Canadian 09 Rav4's dont have a tire pressure monitor. What year is it? 06-08 don't have TPMS either...

"So, took the wife's RAV4 (US Model)" - OP

As for the nitrogen, you can use a regular air pump to fill the tires up. Costco does it for free when you buy tires and will fill it up should you need it.

Godfuader
01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Additional information:

The Rav is an 04 model. Original owner. She had the tires changed at the 50,000 Mile mark over at Costco in New Jersey. They did not invoice her anything extra for the nitrogen, but somehow manage to lose the metal stems. Thing is that its been to Toyota for regular oil changes 2x after and they did not mention anything. When I take it into a Canadian Toyota, they point it out immediately, even though the 04 Canadian Rav never came with them. The shop manager at Country Hills said that we can try fit an 06 Rav sensor or one of the Tacoma ones.

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

"So, took the wife's RAV4 (US Model)" - OP
As for the nitrogen, you can use a regular air pump to fill the tires up. Costco does it for free when you buy tires and will fill it up should you need it.
So since she bought the tires from Costco...should they not top it off with Nitrogen if there is a 5+ variance?

5000Audi
01-07-2009, 06:54 AM
its hard to "lose" those TPMS sensors seeing how they have to be wrenched out.. so i would say they stole them outta the rims to iether A: sell or B: keep in case of broken ones... there is never a need to take those out when doing the tires

one possibilty they "could" have run into, When letting the air out you take out the valve core, BUT in the TPMS system the cores are slightly differant then regular ones.. and usually most tire shop replace the cores... So the possibility is that they put the wrong ones in, the tire valves leaked and didnt have the correct ones, Thus slapping on regular stems..

**EDIT** also with TPMS they need to have those smaller valve caps put on aswell..

ExtraSlow
01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
So since she bought the tires from Costco...should they not top it off with Nitrogen if there is a 5+ variance?
Costco in Canada will give you free nitrogen refills if you buy the tires from them.

TYMSMNY
01-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Additional information:

Yes they would top it off but it doesn't look like you brought your car to Costco for an oil change. Toyota dealerships don't have nitrogen tanks to fill up tires. Since you don't have an invoice or receipt, I doubt they will top it off for free.

googe
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
As a technician, I do see less pressure variance in the tyres as the seasons change.

But really, you should have your tyre pressure checked every service, plus with seasonal tyres there's really no excuse to have more then 5 psi of change.

Those stupid sensors are enough to cause a vehicle to fail the OPI, which pisses me off, because even if the tyres are perfectly set to the factory specs, the light being on is an automatic fail according to the OPI guide.

Replacing them is very expensive, and you need them on the winter rims as well to avoid voiding warranty.

are you british/aussie originally? or just pulling a madonna?

sputnik
01-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by googe

are you british/aussie originally? or just pulling a madonna?

:rofl: :rofl:

BlackArcher101
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/10/tires-nitrogen-.html

Godfuader
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
How does the tech know its filled with Nitrogen? the Green caps?

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Yes they would top it off but it doesn't look like you brought your car to Costco for an oil change. Toyota dealerships don't have nitrogen tanks to fill up tires. Since you don't have an invoice or receipt, I doubt they will top it off for free.
The car never went to Costco for an oil change...just to replace the tires. Since they replaced the tires, I assume its them that filled it with Nitrogen. Have all the receipts, so should be fine.

Eleanor
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
The only real advantage I can see is reduced condensation inside the tire.

CelicaST-162
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
You can try sensors from other models hoping that they'll work as mentioned above. The problem is programming the TPMS computer in conjunction with your new sensors, weather it works or not I don't know. You'll be charged for it, so if it doesn't work it would be a bummer. If you're looking for a dealer that has Nitrogen fill tires, Stampede Toyota does.

Godfuader
01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Based on the info above, I am pleased with the Nitrogen filled tires.

She had the tires changed January 08, the car was parked from March till October 08 (maybe a couple trips aroud the block). In October we drove it from New Jersey to Calgary (3,800+ KM) where it was subject to an array of temperatures including the -35. After all that, if the tires have maintained their pressure...i think thats impressive.

spike98
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM

She had the tires changed January 08, the car was parked from March till October 08 (maybe a couple trips aroud the block). In October we drove it from New Jersey to Calgary (3,800+ KM) where it was subject to an array of temperatures including the -35. After all that, if the tires have maintained their pressure...i think thats impressive.

But i have also had my 95 cavi winter beater for 2 years and about 10,000km and i have not ONCE filled any of the tires and they are all holding strong. So thats driving in two whole southern alberta winters.

They are filled with "normal air"

Redlyne_mr2
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM

I run nitrogen in all my cars, I had some mystery leak in my aw11 with normal air and after putting in the nitrogen it went away. I'm going to run it in the sw20 at the track this summer and see if I can get some more tire life out of those damn rt615s.

kwazy
01-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
The whole filling your tires with Nitrogen mumbo jumbo is just another money grab pitch service advisors at dealerships like to push for, filling tires with Nitrogen is supposed to (I'm recalling this off a brochure from work)

There is no added benefit filling it with Nitrogen over air other than it costs money to use whereas air is free and #1 it doesn't not keep your tires inflated longer, thats BS same goes for #3 as I've filled mine up with Nitrogen and in less than a week it dropped 7 psi on all tires, where I work, there have been numerous customer cars coming in complaining about tire pressure sensor warning lights coming on and guess what...90% of them were filled with Nitrogen, to offset the TPSL coming on, most dealerships will overfill your tires to offset the winter temps

I disagree with you, my GTR comes with Nitrogen filled tires from the factory and it has worked great.

1) I've found that when I left the car in the garage untouched for 1+ months that the tire pressure hasn't changed much.

2) I have never really heard anyways say that there is an increase in speed, but it does in performance. If you've been to the track before, you will know that the psi can go up between +/- 8psi. Thus, if you car is 32psi when it's cold, after a hot lap it can go up to 40 psi and hence your performance will suffer.

3) I've found that filling it up with nitrogen has helped the car stay constant, even at the track it will only go up +/- 1-2psi which isn't bad, I think why your's might have dropped so much is because there might have been left over water in the tire from the air. That plays a big factor in it.

I have a good relationship with my dealer, so they agreed to put nitrogen in all my cars free of charge and in one of the cars, there was left over water and the PSI's fluctuated alot.