A790
01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Shawnessy Vietnamese Restaurant - 16061 MacLeod Trail SE - (403) 201-3888

Ambiance: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Food: 4/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 3.5/5

Summary: There's been a bit of chatter on beyond lately about decent Pho places in the south end. I have been to Shawnessy Vietnamese Restaurant a few times and hadn't been back in a while, so I thought I'd chime in and offer my insight.

Introduction:

I'm pretty new to Vietnamese cuisine, so my view on "good" may not be what someone who is seasoned with Vietnamese food considers "good". That being said, I know when something tastes good and I have no problem saying so. :)

Service:

I don't go to Vietnamese places for good service, and chances are that you don't either. The service is acceptable, but you do have to flag someone down if you want to refill your pop or order a glass of water.

That being said, our meals were delivered promptly, if not unevenly (my friend got her meal a few minutes before I did). As well, we ordered pork dumplings which we were later informed they were out of (though they did recommend pork spring rolls).

We had to wait a couple of minutes at the door to actually pay our tab and leave, but it wasn't anything significant or worth complaining about.

Atmosphere:

Spaced out, bright, and surprisingly quiet all describe Shawnessy Vietnamese Restaurant. There is a pretty hefty fish tank in the back with plenty of aquatic dudes and dudettes swimming around (they could also be called fish, I guess, if you wanted to be boring). The tables were all clean, and the room itself was decorated well.

Kitchen noise is kept to a minimum and there is a three foot tall that divides the room into sections. The bathrooms are clean and well cared for.

Food:

I can't read Vietnamese, nor can I remember the descriptions of what we ordered. I had a number 62 (Rare Beef Noodle Soup - $9) and my friend had a Vermicelli dish, of which I can't remember now ($9).

The Pho was quite good, with LOTS of rare beef. It was very tastey, and did I mention that there was a TON of BEEF, LOTS AND LOTS OF IT. I was surprised, as I seem to recall this place being a bit stingy the last time I was there. I gleefully gobbled down the beef, which had a good texture and flavour to match, while my friend pretty much polished off her Vermicelli.

The spring rolls that we ordered in place of our dumplings were also pretty good, and at $5 you can't really go wrong.

Conclusion:

I know this review doesn't have my romanticized flare that I usually write with, but it's hard to get passionate about a quick stop for some Vietnamese. However, Shawnessy Vietnamese Restaurant does a good job in keeping you happy, comfortable, and then stuffing your face full of delicious Vietnamese food.

While I still prefer Rice King (right by the King's Head Pub and Ranchmans), Shawnessy Vietnamese Restaurant is a good spot to go to, and it's location by the Theatre make it ideal for a pre or post-movie munchout.

adamc
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Spring rolls are made in house here, iirc, and taste way better than then frozen->fried springrolls other restaurants serve.

Good review though, I've had good experiences there the two times I've gone.

max_boost
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Did they charge you for the refill on pop? How much was the pop? $1.25? $2.50?

Unlike other chains, in these smaller restaurants, the food comes out once it's done. None of this sit under a heat lamp or on a warm table and everyone's come out at the same time.

Good review. Too bad it's so far from my house.

A790
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Did they charge you for the refill on pop? How much was the pop? $1.25? $2.50?

Unlike other chains, in these smaller restaurants, the food comes out once it's done. None of this sit under a heat lamp or on a warm table and everyone's come out at the same time.

Good review. Too bad it's so far from my house.
I didn't even check the price to be honest, so I couldn't tell you. The total bill was $26, so it wasn't much.

Also, there was only a couple minutes between when the meals came out so it wasn't a big deal. I'd rather the food be fresh than heat-lamped :)

adam c
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
silly white boy, their pho isn't that great

and the pop comes in cans, so they would have charged you for a refill

A790
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by adam c
SEE DISCLAIMER IN THE INTRODUCTION PLZ, KTHNX.

:poosie:

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by A790

SEE DISCLAIMER IN THE INTRODUCTION PLZ, KTHNX.

i know
your next review should be vietnamese and you should goto the ghetto and get some pho
Pho Do Bau

Crymson
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
bullet proof booths?

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Pho Do Bau

I LOVE this place...:drool:

brandon
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM

and the pop comes in cans, so they would have charged you for a refill

aren't you white? :dunno:

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by brandon

aren't you white? :dunno:

yes?:dunno:

JVR1
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
try the crispy chicken wings next time you're there.. pretty good!

ercchry
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I LOVE this place...:drool:

yes, favorite so far, the place right across 17th from it (same parking lot as giant tiger) is pretty good too, but the broth is still better at da bomb

i like the places that do not go crazy with the cilantro

brandon
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM

yes?:dunno:

Just making sure :thumbsup:
lol

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

yes, favorite so far, the place right across 17th from it (same parking lot as giant tiger) is pretty good too, but the broth is still better at da bomb

i like the places that do not go crazy with the cilantro

bin minh?

it's ok, but they have way better peppers there

ercchry
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM

bin minh?

it's ok, but they have way better peppers there

yeah, haha after i was done i took 3 peppers and crushed them up in the broth and drank it... i was ok for about 5 min before it hit me... lips were on fire for a good half an hour

adam c
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
yea the green ones are pretty deadly

i ate 2 on their own and regretted it for the next 45 minutes

SikAssR1
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Haha, just be glad you guys have a big selection of places to go. Where I live there is two Vietnamese soup spots, and well, they are both pretty gross.

TomcoPDR
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey Cam (A790) did they have the spearmint in stock this time?

It annoys me, and I understand sometimes it's out of their control, that (pho places "say") the supplier ran out of pepper/spearmint leaves.

Yea, I think the owner is rich, he takes his sweet ass time taking your money at the till... most times I'm at his till he slaps down a pen and the Visa slip and walks away.

alloroc
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
bullet proof booths?

My thoughts exactly.

A790
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

It annoys me, and I understand sometimes it's out of their control, that (pho places "say") the supplier ran out of pepper/spearmint leaves.

Yea, I think the owner is rich, he takes his sweet ass time taking your money at the till... most times I'm at his till he slaps down a pen and the Visa slip and walks away.
I believe they did.

It was pretty good overall. I know I'll be back there for sure.

adamc
01-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I know for a fact that the 2 guys that own this place are very well off.

n1zm0
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

tis basil my friend, people always confuse it with mint, so did i when i was younger.

Errol.
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Haven't been there in like 8 months cause me and my family thought it was bad. Bad food and horrible service. I know asian restraunts arent great for service (im asian and go out quite abit, i know when its bad), but it was horrible. Might go back and try again after reading this though. Maybe i just went on a bad day.

r3ccOs
01-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I saw the owner, the one who wears the dress shirt is rude and wears a rolex

eating at Pho Dau Bau on several occations

403Gemini
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
The food is great there but the service is AWFUL. Get EVERYTHING you want the first time they come to the table cause the 2nd time is to just drop off the bill.

eb0i
01-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by brandon

Just making sure :thumbsup:
lol

He believes he has viet cred cuz he dated a viet girl once. :poosie:

adam c
01-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

He believes he has viet cred cuz he dated a viet girl once. :poosie:

eeerhhmmm
do i know you?

and no, i've been eating viet/pho for 10+ years so i know which places i like and which i don't

x.staygold.x
01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
The food is great there but the service is AWFUL. Get EVERYTHING you want the first time they come to the table cause the 2nd time is to just drop off the bill.

I wasn't a huge fan of the food here...

But i agree the service is terrible. I waited 30 minutes just to have my order taken.

r3ccOs
01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I know for a fact that the 2 guys that own this place are very well off.

& are chill guys

nj2Type-S
01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree with everyone that said the service is terrible. No, we’re not supposed to expect good service from a Vietnamese restaurant but the service in this place is beyond terrible. They are very rude and the food doesn’t even compensate for their ‘service’. I’ve been there twice; one for dine in and one for take out. Both times were horrible…I don’t see how people keep going back to that hole. Maybe if there were more Vietnamese restaurants in that area, people wouldn’t have to go there…

Mibz
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
The only good thing about the food there is how much you get. I would much rather go to Mimosa, 30 seconds away, and pay more for less food.

Wildcat
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Worst service ever. Waitress comes by once, we get our orders and drinks at different times. When we were done we pretty much had to stand by the front to tell them we wanted to pay. When we wanted to take the leftovers to go they simply put an empty to go container on our table :facepalm:

Some pros: food was made fast, portions were huge, price was cheap.

eb0i
01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Worst service ever. Waitress comes by once, we get our orders and drinks at different times. When we were done we pretty much had to stand by the front to tell them we wanted to pay. When we wanted to take the leftovers to go they simply put an empty to go container on our table :facepalm:

Some pros: food was made fast, portions were huge, price was cheap.

Haha. Welcome to a viet restaurant.

livinlarge89
01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
The only good thing about the food there is how much you get. I would much rather go to Mimosa, 30 seconds away, and pay more for less food.

I've always liked Mimosa in Shawnessy as well, close to where I live and the owner seems like a nice guy, usually pretty quiet, and I really like the food for the price.

phunx
01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
+1 for Mimosa.

The food and service are better.

nj2Type-S
01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
where exactly is this mimosa place??

Wildcat
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
^ The Shawnessy Zellers parking lot i believe.

nj2Type-S
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
is that the one w/ the greek restaurant next to it??

Wildcat
01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
ya thats the one

adam c
01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
it's right across from the dollar store

Mibz
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Going there tonight :D

HuMz
01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Shawnessy Vietnamese is pretty decent although the service is probably some of the worst you'll ever experience if its even half full in there.

I find Mimosas food a notch down and a little bit pricier, but they have excellent serice and its alot nicer inside.

clem24
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
When we wanted to take the leftovers to go they simply put an empty to go container on our table :facepalm:

Obviously you don't go to Viet places very much, your highness.

Wildcat
01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Obviously you don't go to Viet places very much, your highness.

You're right i don't, you savage.

edit: Anyone else hear about this outbreak of ecoli in a string of 3 viet restaurants? Heard it on the radio today, they didn't mention which restaurants... anyone know?

RY213
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I went here a few days ago and ordered something to go. I agree on what others have said about service. The dude up front wasnt too friendly, and it took a while before I could pay for my food and leave. I ordered Grilled Sate Beef with rice $8.95? I think. The food was really good, there was a lot of beef and it was marinated in a really tasty sauce. There was also a lot of rice, and the fish sauce was hotter than other places sauce. Compared to other Vietnamese places, id say the food was better, especially this dish (which is what I usually order). I thought the decor in the restaurant was nice, and looked better than most vietnamese restaurants. Its nice to know that there is a decent place to eat this side of the city...

snoop101
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Since I live in Somerset I thought I post as well.

The fiance is viet so she's a bit picky on where we go. We went to the shawnessy one twice and the food there wasent good at all. Im while and i could even tell it was bad.

Mimosa though is pretty good. Fiance orders the quail and likes it. I usually get bum. The owner is super nice and always bug the fiance for being with a white guy. All in all mimosa is a much better place to goto and its only a few min drive south of the shawnessy one.

TomcoPDR
02-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Bumping this... went there this week.

Nasty, nasty nasty.

My neighbour took me... It was 8:45pm (sign says 10pm for closing), they were already mopping the floor (with HEAVY bleach)... ok fine, kills the germs.

Been going to this place with different Azn ppl, black ppl, brown ppl, white ppl... on and off since they opened about 10-12 years ago.

This RECENT visit review:

Ambience: 2.5/ 5 reno getting WORN OUT, fish tank WAS a great feature but nobody is upkeeping it (there are companies out there that'll clean it professionally; nothing more disgusting when a restaurant first starts with a great fish tank, but let it slime up)... 8-9pm this place sure has died down from certain years, this would be packed till it closed... But with Hudson's, Eastside (back up running)... and a new place next door, I think it's taken a lot of their business.

Service: 2/5 Non-existence... the younger guy is straight up cool, brings you water, SLAPS the menu down, takes your order (robot feel, but straight up cool-cat)... The owner or "manager" don't really give a shit, you have to beg them to take your money at the end.

Food: 1.5/5 Soup base was warm, the noodles really clumped together (like it was put into the fridge, and then taken out quickly... since it was 2 hours before closing, but that's still a long ways to go..)

Neighbour and I both got diarrhea... I didn't mention anything when I got home, didn't think anything of it. But next day, the neighbour calls me up asking if I got sick after eating... He takes the train to work downtown, tells me he had to hop off the train and RAN to the nearest shitter he could find, made him late for work... I laughed at him, mostly for being an adult and still taking the train... he got mad and hung up the phone.

403Gemini
03-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I had this for take out on saturday... while not terrible, the food was LOADED with sprouts so i felt a bit jipped :(