PDA

View Full Version : can't get SD card to read

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
hi,

i tried to plug an SD card into my XP pro laptop but it for some reason can't read it. in device manager, under Disk Drives, the card shows up as SD Memory Card, but there is a yellow exclimation point next to it. when I try to update the driver manually (i.e. choose from list, SD Storage Card), i get an error code 10: the device cannot start.

any ideas what the problem might be? i've tried to uninstall and reinstall the device, still no luck. could it be that the SD card is damaged, or could it be the drivers for my card reader (i just reinstalled these, though).

thanks

adam c
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
cards don't last forever that's one thing, but it takes a long time before they wear out

you shouldn't need any drivers for the card but most likely for the card reader, try downloading the drivers from the manufactures site (computer manufacturer)

if there's nothing important on the card, you can try doing a format of it as well

edit. usually the yellow exclamation mark sign means the driver has errors or isn't installed, you can also try doing a roll back of the driver

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
yea, i can't even get the card to show up in my computer.

as far as i know, the card works, although it did get wet at one point when i dropped my old phone in barrier lake. i think it was working after that, though.

i just installed the "toshiba 4-in-1 card reader drivers" and also the toshiba seccure SD thing and the Toshiba sd card memory format utility.

the thing is, the card isn't even showing up in my computer (or acronis disk direcctor) as a disk.... i can see it in device manager, but in there it says cannot start this device - so it won't even show up in explorer until i can get the device working.

just not sure if that points to a hardware or driver problem or what??

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
i wonder if this could be the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921413/en-us

i requested that hotfix, and they are supposed to be emailing it within 5 minutes

em2ab
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Yup, known issue. I had this happen before, there's a workaround if you search it on Google. Mine turned out to be related to something XP does with mapping it to a port higher than 12 or something, I don't really remember what it was.

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
hrm bummer

well that hotfix didn't work, it said i already had a newer version installed. go figure!

i did a bit of google searching, and found several sites suggesting to delete all usb controllers and reboot (upon which they will be reinstalled). tried that with no luck. is that what you are talking about em2ab, or is it something else?

cheers

em2ab
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
hrm bummer

well that hotfix didn't work, it said i already had a newer version installed. go figure!

i did a bit of google searching, and found several sites suggesting to delete all usb controllers and reboot (upon which they will be reinstalled). tried that with no luck. is that what you are talking about em2ab, or is it something else?

cheers
Sorry, to be honest I can't remember all the details. I know for sure it was a code 10 error and I was getting it after plugging something in via USB. I also got the little yellow exclamation point in Device Manager and no matter how many times I uninstalled that driver and plugged it in again, it always installed it to the same IRQ/DMA/whatever which was too high for Windows to use. The fix involved some fiddling and loading a custom file but it was years ago so I can't recall all the details. I was hoping they'd have it fixed by now, just check some coder forums or even check MSDN.

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
uninstall the updates you did for the driver and reinstall the hotfix you got from MS

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
you can try this, although it was for a different issue it might work

Thank you for your reply. According to the information, I recommend you follow these steps to resolve this issue:

Step 1: Remove Hidden Devices

1. Click Start. Click Run. Type cmd and press OK.
2. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
3. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without quotation marks) and Press Enter.
4. Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and click press Enter.
5. Click View. Click Show hidden devices.
6. Click "+" to expand Imaging devices, Unknown devices and USB devices.
7. Are there any digital camera devices and unknown devices (including grayed out devices)? If so, please right click it and click Uninstall.

Step 2: Remove all oem*.inf files

=========================

1. Click start and click run then under the run line type in the command "cmd" (without the quotation marks)

2. In the command line, type in the following (without the quotes) and press enter after each command:

"cd \windows\inf"
"ren infcache.1 *.old"
"ren oem*.inf *.old"
"del C:\windows\setupapi.log"
"exit"

Step 3: Removing all entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Enum/USB that start with VID

==================================================================

Removing the VID entries from the registry will cause them to be redetected at restart.

CAUTION: If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, do not remove the VID entry for these devices, otherwise, Windows may not restart correctly.

1. Click Start and click Run. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window will open.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.

3. Highlight and delete all the VID_.... entries.

Permissions may be set allowing the deletion of the VID_ entries by following the steps below:

a) Right-click the key to be deleted, and then click Permissions. The VID_... Permissions window will open.
b) With Everyone highlighted in the Group or User name section, select Full Control in the Permissions section.
c) Click Apply, and then click OK.

4. Turn off the computer.

Step 4: Reconnect the digital camera to the computer system:

=============================

1. With the computer system turned off, reconnect the Sony DSC-P50 camera to the USB port.
2. Restart the computer.
3. After the Windows operating system has finished restarting, plug the digital camera into the electrical outlet.
4. A New Hardware Detected window should open and reload the drivers.

If the camera still cannot work, I recommend you plug the camera to another Windows XP computer (Desktop) to test whether this camera works. I suspect it is an incompatibility issue.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Microsoft Windows Support Professional

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by adam c
uninstall the updates you did for the driver and reinstall the hotfix you got from MS

just tried that. it's saying that setup has detected a service pack version of the system that is newer than the update i'm applying. i have sp3, so i'm guessing it's included in there :cry: :cry: :cry:

HyperZell
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM
It would be funny if all it was was the read/write lock on the side of the card, haha. Good luck.

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
if all else fails, but buy a USB card reader

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by adam c
you can try this, although it was for a different issue it might work

thanks man, just did that and rebooting now. i deleted a shitload of vid... folders (like 20) so i guess i'll see if that totally fucked that xp installation or not haha

EDIT: allright, that didn't work :( and i'm still missing the 20 or so vid... folders in the registry hahah i wonder what the fuck those were for

adam c
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
did you make a backup of your registry before you deleted everything?

nonlinear
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
turns out is was the card after all. went out and grabbed a new 2 gb lexar card, and it works fine :) thanks for all the help though!

em2ab
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't suppose you actually had a SDHC card?