PDA

View Full Version : I Got Served...

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
And no, Omarion is not battling me in a dance off...

I have just received a subpoena in the mail with regards to an accident that I was involved in back in August of 2008. Not gonna lie I am a little nervous...never gotten one of these before...

It is a "Subpoena to a Witness"...and there is an accused name on it...along with what he was charged with. It was a 6 car collision...and I was car number 5 of the ordeal...

I am just curious, what do I need to do when I show up to court that day...its in the summer so I have time...Is there something I need to do to acknowledge that I received this?? Are they just gonna ask for my account of what happened that morning??...Do I need to bring my copy of the police report??...What do I wear??...What do I say??...If I don't show like it says on the bottom of this...will there be a warrant out for my capture??...Will I become one of Canada's top ten most wanted??

kevie88
01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Nothing to worry about man, just wear something Business Casual to suit and tie.

You're right, you won't need to do much other than tell them what happened to the best of your knowledge. Hopefully you took some notes after the accident.

I checked with my super hot indian lawyer wife and she said that you have to show up if your subpeona'd, otherwise you'll have a warrant out for your arrest (and lord knows you don't need any more of those haha j/k)

al-ti2d
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
no, you would have been served if it was a disguised seth rogan that handed you the subpoena :rofl:

Hakkola
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, if you don't show there will b a warrant out. If it doesn't specify that you have to bring anything, then don't, the lawyers/court will have copies of the police report. I would probably wear a suit.

Why nervous? You're not an accused, you're just being called as a witness.

Kona9
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Nothing to worry about man, just wear something Business Casual to suit and tie.

You're right, you won't need to do much other than tell them what happened to the best of your knowledge. Hopefully you took some notes after the accident.

I checked with my super hot indian lawyer wife and she said that you have to show up if your subpeona'd, otherwise you'll have a warrant out for your arrest (and lord knows you don't need any more of those haha j/k)

Damn Goras stealing all the Apni's!!!! :rofl:

Nothing to be worried about Reefer. Your story is all they need. Just make sure you go!

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Should I bring your super hot Indian lawyer wife with me??;)

And no Kevin, you are right...don't need anymore of those pesky warrants...haha...

Originally posted by Hakkola

Why nervous? You're not an accused, you're just being called as a witness.

The same reason why you don't get nervous if there is a police officer following you in your Merc, versus an officer following me in Hollie...haha...

*cough* Rodney King *cough*....hahaha....

And if I rock a suit...I don't wanna out dress the lawyers haha...and does that mean I have to buy dress shoes??...I cant rock some kicks??...Man this witness thing is gonna expensive...

kevie88
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Damn Goras stealing all the Apni's!!!! :rofl:

:poosie: :D

Boosted_TL
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
:rofl: Bring all of your paper work, you can never have enough! Show up early and present yourself well. This is really not a big deal. You dont need to contact them to confirm your receipt of the subpeona, they dont care if you show up, that will be your problem.

And I gotta throw this out there..... I am pretty sure that if we copied your post and pasted it under a "nooobs" account. You E-Mack, would have been one of the first to flame him/her for such a stupid post lol

D'z Nutz
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
And if I rock a suit...I don't wanna out dress the lawyers haha...and does that mean I have to buy dress shoes??...I cant rock some kicks??...Man this witness thing is gonna expensive...

You don't have to out dress the lawyers... just outclass them

http://www.blogadilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bishop-don-magic-juan3.jpg

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL

And I gotta throw this out there..... I am pretty sure that if we copied your post and pasted it under a "nooobs" account. You E-Mack, would have been one of the first to flame him/her for such a stupid post lol

Fuck that...JRSC00LUDE would have been first, then TOMS-SC, and THEN me...haha...

And I don't usually make fun of posts like this do I??...This is a semi-serious matter be it me posting or a n00b haha...

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

You don't have to out dress the lawyers... just outclass them

CHUUUUUUCH!!!

And thank you all for the replies...I am sure I will have more questions haha...

Boosted_TL
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Fuck that...JRSC00LUDE would have been first, then TOMS-SC, and THEN me...haha...

And I don't usually make fun of posts like this do I??...This is a semi-serious matter be it me posting or a n00b haha...

CHUUUUUUCH!!!

And thank you all for the replies...I am sure I will have more questions haha...

haha ok your right in the form of replies!! I am just giving you are hard time. Sometimes letters from the Gov are way more stressing as they really are. You will be fine, just tell them what you saw and then go have beers at Wild Ginger ....lol

ZorroAMG
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM

And if I rock a suit...I don't wanna out dress the lawyers haha

A man can't be outdone if you gotta rent some dress shoes, foo!!

:D

Lemme give ya da numba to my DUBBBBZ rental hookupz!!

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 03:06 PM
But I always rock kicks with suits....

They always colour coordinate with the shirt and tie...

Kloubek
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I agree Arif... no reason to get nervous. Just go there, say your peace, and that should be it. Chances are, the person at fault is trying to get out of it and they just need credible witnesses to prove his fault.

Hell, you don't even need to wear dressy clothes if you don't want to. But it probably isn't a bad idea out of courtesy... :)

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

I agree Arif... no reason to get nervous. Just go there, say your peace, and that should be it.

one more time...."piece"...;)

Do you hate me yet??

malbadon
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Had to do the same thing a few years ago. Was in an accident where other person was at fault, she got ticketed and fought the ticket.
You just show up, the prosecutor came beforehand and just said all that was going to happen was I'd be asked what happened by her, and then likely be asked some clarification questions by the defense. Turned out to be pretty unexciting actually.

Got time off work for it and everything.

van
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Just show up and make sure you don't smoke weed before you, being you're all nervous and shit. lol

Kloubek
01-07-2009, 03:33 PM

one more time...."piece"...;)

Do you hate me yet??

Indeed. You should change your avatar to say "Beyond's biggest grammar police officer".

Actually, I should thank you. Though I've probably used that statement only a dozen times in my life, I never thought it was spelled "piece". Now I know. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I've *ever* written it down or typed it. Only said it. Luckily, "piece" and "peace" are homophones. (And no, they are NOT Homonyms, contrary to what I was taught in school) lol

Eleanor
01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Don't wear Air Force Ones to court, if I were the judge I'd lock you up on the spot :D

BlueGoblin
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't forget to bring a book to read. Seriously.

In Traffic Court, normally the guilty pleas go first, followed by docket matters, such as those requesting a set aside of a verdict or a postponed date, followed by the convictions in absence, followed by trials.

This sounds like there will be a number of witnesses though, so youi might get lucky and be in a courtroom that is only dealing with this trial in its session. Even still, there is no knowing when you might be called and have to wait for a while.

The prosecutor will probably have a copy of the statement you initially provided. Bring your copy if you still have it. Don't worry too much about your clothes. Business casual is just fine.

Finally - make sure that you check in with the Crown Prosecutor first thing though so they know that you are there.

dannie
01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
^ This is exactly what I was going to post.

I have been a witness for quite a few cases, some criminal and some traffic. Dress nicely. Business casual is fine. You want to have respect for the judge, and going in jeans isnt going to do that.

Bring a book or iPod or crossword. I had to testify for this one case... I got there at 9am like i was supposed to; and waited until 330. The session ended and they came out and asked me to come back the next day because they couldnt get to me. FFFFFFF***. So back I went the next day, got to the stand, said what I needed to and left. Be prepared for a long wait. If its not long, then count yourself lucky.

Bring all the paperwork you have regarding the situation to court with you.

Supa Dexta
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
wear white.. its more innocent..

http://www.stephenwaddell.com/downloads/fullres/ManInWhiteSuit.jpg

..also, 6 car pile up in august.. wtf... :confused:

Jlude
01-07-2009, 11:15 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was served a subpeona a couple years ago when I was living in Calgary. A cop came to my door and served it... I thought FOR SURE I was getting sued for something.

Thankfully I was just needed as a witness. (Kid hit and ran my car) Still wasn't impressed about it though, coming home from court, I went through Inglewood and got nabbed by a speed trap. So not only did the cocksucker get off easy for smashing up my car and not having insurance at the time of the accident, but I get a f'n speeding ticket. (I know I shouldn't have been speeding, but I wouldn't have been there in the first place had it not been for that douche)

Anyways, I wore one of my nicer suits to court and soon realized I was very overdressed.

EK 2.0
01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin

Don't forget to bring a book to read. Seriously.

In Traffic Court, normally the guilty pleas go first, followed by docket matters, such as those requesting a set aside of a verdict or a postponed date, followed by the convictions in absence, followed by trials.

This sounds like there will be a number of witnesses though, so youi might get lucky and be in a courtroom that is only dealing with this trial in its session. Even still, there is no knowing when you might be called and have to wait for a while.

Thank you for the book advice...so the "scheduled" time on the document is sham??...DAMMIT!!:banghead: Can I bring my blackberry to pass the time??...Cause If I bring a book, won't that make me look sort of too prepared??...

And there is no way to even guarantee that I will be making a statement that day??

Also, is it like TV where they ask you to "tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth'??...And what if I start sweating up there??...man I am getting more nervous about this haha...

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

..also, 6 car pile up in august.. wtf... :confused:

Long ass story involving a guy at the front of the chain who had no idea why he slammed on his brakes...and then subsequent cars and a dump truck...and then me...followed by an accord...

I solely blame the very dirty road (there was crazy waterworks repair going on at the time which the insurance company of the Dump Truck that I slid into verified) and cold ass Azenis'...haha...

Jlude
01-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Also, is it like TV where they ask you to "tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth'??...And what if I start sweating up there??...man I am getting more nervous about this haha...

are you hyperventilating?

nismodrifter
01-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

Remember the line "if the glove don't fit...they must acquit"? Think about it.....if he can get away with murder by dropping a sick line like that I'm sure you can talk/rap yourself outta anything (be sure to throw some papers and shit at the judge like Snoop and Pac did in 2 of Americas Most Wanted).

cloud7
01-08-2009, 01:12 AM
it doesn't really matter what you wear, especially when you are not the defendant... as long as you are tidy, it's fine. Just answer questions as asked during your examination and don't contradict your accident report... if you don't know an answer to a question, just say you don't know or do not recall. Be honest. Don't make shit up... that's what lawyers live off of... you contradicting yourself.

Godfuader
01-08-2009, 01:29 AM
But I always rock kicks with suits....

They always colour coordinate with the shirt and tie...
Haha, so that was you at the roundup centre back in November for GJ rockin some kicks on your suit and the Superman buckle??

Dont worry, its not immigration...no ones gonna deport you. :rofl:

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Haha, so that was you at the roundup centre back in November for GJ rockin some kicks on your suit and the Superman buckle??

Dont worry, its not immigration...no ones gonna deport you. :rofl:

Yes that was me...but it was a Batman buckle...haha...See you can vouch the kicks coordinate with the suit...

Deportation??...man now I am even MORE nervous haha...

jav_
01-08-2009, 01:48 AM
i had this happened to me and my friends...we sat through court for almost an hour waiting for our persons turn...turns out he was a no show and this officer just told us "thanks for coming, his lawyer just pleaded for him"....what a waste of our time:thumbsdow

JMaj7
01-08-2009, 01:54 AM
If it's at the Calgary Courts Building downtown, the security makes you take off your belt. You have to hand them your keys and coat like they do it in the airport.

Don't get all heated out when you see the lawyers and cops go through a different entrance while you're being exploited. It's so "us" and "them". Makes you question our leadership.

I went there high as fuck. Don't go there high. Please.

sexualbanana
01-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Since you're being summoned as a witness, wouldn't there be a lawyer or prosecutor that would want to talk to you about what to say, and how to say it, when you testify?

BlueGoblin
01-08-2009, 07:17 AM

Thank you for the book advice...so the "scheduled" time on the document is sham??...DAMMIT!!:banghead: Can I bring my blackberry to pass the time??...Cause If I bring a book, won't that make me look sort of too prepared??...

And there is no way to even guarantee that I will be making a statement that day??

Yep - the 'scheduled' time onthe subpoena only indicates when the court opens for either its morning or afternoon session. You might be called fairly quickly or hours later. It sucks, but that is the way it has always played out. Traffic Court isn't as bad as it used to be in the old building, but I think its still pretty much mayhem. The Crown will have dozens of matters in there; most will be a deal/guilty plea, many will be a conviction in absence, some willbe put over and some will go to trial, but they don't know who is going to do what ahead of time.

When a trial starts that you are a part of, the Traffic Court Commissioner will ask all witnesses to leave the courtroom. This is so nobobdy hears the other witnesses testimony. So, you'll wait outside the courtroom until you are called. You will be asked if you will swear an oath on the bible. No big deal either way. You'll be ask to swear or affirm that your evidence will be the truth, just like on TV. The Crown will ask some basic questions of you, and then the defense or the accused guy himself (or herself) will have the chance to ask you some questions. It normally isn't high stress for witnesses here. Sometimes guys representing themselves will try to go all Angry Matlock on witnesses, but the Commissioners usually shut that down pretty fast. Don't worry about sweating too much. You won't be up there very long.

Don't worry about how you look (as long as your underwear is mostly on the inside of your clothes) or looking too prepared. Nobody notices or cares in Traffic Court. Bring your Blackberry, but only use it outside the Courtroom itself. Inside is a no-no.

It isn't a lot of fun, but take it in stride, watch the freak show that is the courthouse complex, and who knows, there may be some Macking opportunity with some of the clerks outside the courtroom while you are waiting...

1-Bar
01-08-2009, 07:36 AM
ez.....follow these words "I have no recollection of the afore-mentioned events " Then you're home in time for brunch :D

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Since you're being summoned as a witness, wouldn't there be a lawyer or prosecutor that would want to talk to you about what to say, and how to say it, when you testify?

Gavin, I have no idea...I am really starting to think this doesn't work like we see on Law and Order...

Originally posted by BlueGoblin

You will be asked if you will swear an oath on the bible. No big deal either way. You'll be ask to swear or affirm that your evidence will be the truth, just like on TV.

Sometimes guys representing themselves will try to go all Angry Matlock on witnesses, but the Commissioners usually shut that down pretty fast. Don't worry about sweating too much. You won't be up there very long.

and who knows, there may be some Macking opportunity with some of the clerks outside the courtroom while you are waiting...

Now, if I dont follow the bible (being Muslim and all) can I stir the pot and ask for a Koran??

Bring on the "Angry Matlock Types"...I will go all Jack Nicholson on they asses..."YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!"

And BRING on the hotties clerks whooooooo...see because I will have my berry I can type out what I would say to them...

This is not starting to sound too bad at all haha...I will have to re-read this thread in June as a refresher...

BlueGoblin
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Gavin, I have no idea...I am really starting to think this doesn't work like we see on Law and Order...

Now, if I dont follow the bible (being Muslim and all) can I stir the pot and ask for a Koran??

Bring on the "Angry Matlock Types"...I will go all Jack Nicholson on they asses..."YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!"

And BRING on the hotties clerks whooooooo...see because I will have my berry I can type out what I would say to them...

This is not starting to sound too bad at all haha...I will have to re-read this thread in June as a refresher...

I am not sure if they have a Koran at the clerk's desk or not but they might. It wouldn't stir the pot at all. Weird shit happens in court rooms, and asking for an alternate holy book doesn't even register on the "unusual" side of things. If you would rather bring your own, that's probably just fine too. I always affirm, which works for all religions or lack thereof.

I'd never advise any witness on what to say or how to say it; All I would do is offer them a copy of their original statement, ask them if they had questions about what was going on and then plow through my docket. Traffic court is an assembly line, so don't expect a lot of personal attention from the other participants...

Weapon_R
01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
You can affirm your oath in lieu of using any book at all if you want.

EK 2.0
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I have another question regarding all of this...

I have been asked to be a witness I THINK in hope that the "accused" gets his ticket thrown out...

Now I am under the assumption that we all got the same ticket that day "following too close"...which I think is a BS ticket...but that is an entire different thread haha...

If his ticket gets thrown out...do the rest of us who got the same ticket in the same collision get ours thrown out by default as well??

HHURICANE1
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
No, you would have to fight it yourself. As for clothes, since it is going to be summer and you are worried about showing up the the lawyers may I suggest a wife beater t-shirt, a pair of cutoffs and some flip-flops and a pair of wool socks. Then you'd be stylin' and not competing with the lawyers. :D :thumbsup:

zorb1
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
No, you would have to fight it yourself. As for clothes, since it is going to be summer and you are worried about showing up the the lawyers may I suggest a wife beater t-shirt, a pair of cutoffs and some flip-flops and a pair of wool socks. Then you'd be stylin' and not competing with the lawyers. :D :thumbsup:

Yee, then you hit em' with the freezepop!

Hakkola
02-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1

:rofl:

Lawyer: "What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?"
Witness: "Gucci sweats and Reeboks."

EK 2.0
02-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:rofl:

Lawyer: "What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?"
Witness: "Gucci sweats and Reeboks."

EXCUSE me??....

I do not rock Reeboks...

Hakkola
02-05-2009, 12:48 AM

EXCUSE me??....

I do not rock Reeboks...

DUde, you wouldn't rock THESE?
http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/reebok-pump-bring-back-series-1.jpg

Reebok pumps are the bombest.

EK 2.0
02-05-2009, 12:53 AM
No...I used to have the first pumps ever when I was like in grade 6 hahaha...but no...not anymore...they don't do anything for me Hakk...