PDA

View Full Version : Dead Batt jumpstart JAGUAR 2Stype PLEASE HELP

MHDW
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
It's not a simple.... how do I jump start a car. I know, positive dead, to positive good then negative good to ground bad.

I have a 2004 Jaguar S-Type. Its not been driven for a few months. The owner passed away. The car is dead. So about half an hour ago I jumpstarted it, no problem. I let it idle for about 15 minutes, then drove around the block for about 10 minutes. I then turned it off, and tried to restart it. But nothing.

So I hook up the jumper cables again.... but this time I cant get it to boost. I ran the booster car for 10 minutes with the cables connected, and still nothing.

Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Canmorite
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Just sounds like the battery is dead/fried. Take it out and have it tested (Canadian does it for free).

MHDW
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm guessing that if the battery is in need of replacement its better for me to get an authentic Jaguar battery from the Jag dealership, than to put another brand in? (it currently has a "Jaguar 12V" Battery in it.

I have AMA so their battery express service can come out and test the battery and replace it if I need it replaced... but yeah... is it better to get a new battery from Jaguar, or go with one of the batteries that AMA has from their

"extensive stock of Interstate Batteries" - from the AMA Battery Express service website

Canmorite
01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't think it will make a huge difference. Of course Jag will have Jag branded batteries to sell (Why not?) but as far as performance goes I bet they're equal to what AMA sells.

Get AMA to test it and see what they say about it, but I doubt a Jaguar battery makes any diff.

MHDW
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you very much for your help

Canmorite
01-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sure others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong :D

GQBalla
01-07-2009, 05:46 PM
100 percent correct - just had to get a new battery for the GFs car yesterday

MHDW
01-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Would it have been that the battery's time was simply up and needs replaced. Its a 2004 with only 50,000km on it for cryin out loud, I drive a 2001 Chevy with 200,000KM on it with the original OEM battery.

Or did not driving it for the past 3 months in the winter kill the battery?

5000Audi
01-07-2009, 06:55 PM
probably not driving it for 3 months killed it, im guessing there is like a digital clock or somthing in it that takes a slight charge from the battery...

any battery will work as long as its the right size and same or better cold cranking amps,

As for it not starting the second time, it shouldnt make a differance if the battery is dead, I have jumped a car without a battery before, So it must have been your jumper cable connections..that happens alot to , have to make sure the connections are sparking away when putting them on.. then you know its a good connection

Moe Man
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
maybe i am wrong but driving on a dead or weak battery in some cars will kill the car and wont start untill the car can read that the battery is good.

my CTS did the same thing, it wont try to start the car unless the battery has a charge, most cars will still try to use whatever life is left in the battery to start the car.

:dunno:

GTI CANADIAN
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
The battery could also be low on acid. It may just need some distilled water added to it.

Bring it somewhere and have tested.

sillysod
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
don't buy a CDN tire battery.

Go to Jaguar and buy a replacement battery, you will have a lot less problems. Batteries don't last based on KM's but more on age and for a european import 4 - 5 years is about all you can expect.

I have gone this route with my A4 (cheap-o battery) and ended up trying to find a replacement in Moose Jaw (good luck).

justchuckit
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
k ive got a 1990 honda prelude with a compustar alarm ok
so when winter first hit i decide to charge the battery and it swelled up and i did not know so when i put the battery back in the car i opened up the car door and my alarm went off and i cant shut it off '
if i was to buy a new battery would the computer reset and shutdown the alarm so i can start my car?

ZorroAMG
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, 4yr old battery, factory alarm, cpu, clock etc...drained it...battery could maybe need a major slow charge but best to just replace it...Interstate make GREAT batteries....just put one in my car this past march....

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Interstate make GREAT batteries....just put one in my car this past march....

DING DING DING!!!...

If you go back to Jaguar for an "OEM" battery they will sell you an Interstate that has been rebadged...OR a strait up Interstate...

They are not too pricey...but unfortunately....if you want the exact dimensions of your OEM battery you have to go see the folks at Jaguar Calgary...I know cause I used to work that parts desk...

ZorroAMG
01-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Or you can go on the interstate website and plug in your year make and model//:dunno:

EK 2.0
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Or you can go on the interstate website and plug in your year make and model//:dunno:

Oh, you think you are sooooo smart huh Multi-Grain...

sillysod
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
dunno about on Jag, but on the A4 and the Passat the interstate battery is totally different looking the the VW Group batteries - same shape, but definatley not just "re-badged"

shanxk8
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I might check the manual before you jump start it next time.

I recall the manual (of our Jag, an XK8) mention that jump starting the batttery can mess up the electronics of the car.
They are "sensitive". I believe it may have something to do with the way electric signals are sent. Something like many signals sent in same wire with computers pulling the appropriate signals out for the appropriate component.

I'm no expert thou & I hope you can get it started.
Shanx

blitz
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Where are some good places to buy car batteries? The interstate website dealer locator doesn't work for Calgary.