PDA

View Full Version : lifters...Help

5000Audi
01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Well i was wondering if anyone here can do a engine job for me. or knows a good shop that can do it.

my car is a 86 audi 5000 QT and it has hydrolic lifters and well, they started to tick. I can get the parts from 034 motorsports for a good price and am wondering if someone here can do the job for me? I know most stuff working around an engine but i dont like to play with the timming of it since the cam would have to be removed.

So please name a good shop that can do it for a decent price or know the hours it would probably take to get the job done.. Thanks!!!

5000Audi
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
oh also, has anyone delt with Calgary autoworks? they are a distributer of the 034 motorsports and they have a shop.. wondering about quality and shop rates... please let me know!!1

sr20s14zenki
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Before you do that, how bad is it ticking? try a product from canadian tire called tuneup in a can, kinda looks like a redbull bottle. I had success shutting up the lifters on my 4.3 blazer engine.

just a thought

R!zz0
01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Sure it's the lifters?

Not an exhaust leak or rockers?

Look on Kijiji and see if you can find a good experienced mechanic that works on valvetrain. I'm sure you'll find someone if you look on their website.

sxtothe240
01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
See if you can get your hands on some stuff called Friction Free 3000.

5000Audi
01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Before you do that, how bad is it ticking? try a product from canadian tire called tuneup in a can, kinda looks like a redbull bottle. I had success shutting up the lifters on my 4.3 blazer engine.

just a thought

this stuff?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/Calscars/9e3e78fd.jpg

sr20s14zenki
01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Thats correct buddy, try it out, may work, may not. Its for sticky lifters.

5000Audi
01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
thanks ill go out and buy some tommorrow since can tire only open for another 25 mins

Zero102
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
The old mercedes mechanic trick to fix ticking lifters is to throw a litre of ATF in the oil, run the engine up to temp (or a few times around the block, don't rev it up past 3-4k) then change the oil. The detergents in the ATF help to dissolve anything plugging the oil passages in the lifters.
Works on 944's amazingly well, and your audi has a very similar hydraulic lifter design IIRC.

This is much safer than any tune-up in a can.

5000Audi
01-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
The old mercedes mechanic trick to fix ticking lifters is to throw a litre of ATF in the oil, run the engine up to temp (or a few times around the block, don't rev it up past 3-4k) then change the oil. The detergents in the ATF help to dissolve anything plugging the oil passages in the lifters.
Works on 944's amazingly well, and your audi has a very similar hydraulic lifter design IIRC.

This is much safer than any tune-up in a can.

hmm this sounds like a great idea since i need an oil change soon here in the next 1500, So should i drain a litre of my oil before i drop the ATF in it? probably id say... think i might do this tommorrow.. Thanks for the Idea!

Zero102
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
No need to worry about it. Running 1L over full is no big deal for a short time, there is quite a lot of room from the top of the oil surface to where the crank is spinning. Don't do anything stupid and it will be fine. The 2 things you need to worry about are the crankshaft striking the oil (you'll feel it if this happens, its like a BRUTAL stumble) or excessive mist being carried into the intake system through the CCV. If you keep the revs and cornering forces down there is no risk of this happening.

This has been the miracle cure for 4 or 5 different 944's so far. What happens is you get some small deposits on the ball bearing inside the check valve on the lifter, then the lifter isn't able to hold pressure inside it. This may or may not fix it, but if it doesn't fix it nothing will short of replacing those lifters (or running a really heavy weight oil, which isn't really a solution for most people).