PDA

View Full Version : PHP forums email notification

alloroc
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Alright I know how thread subscriptions work and that when you subscribe you recieve a notification email whenever someone posts in the subscribed thred.

I no programmer but I have been tasked at my place of employment with researching the possibility of using a forum based system for front end requests (sales warranty etc).

My question is this...
Can the more popular forum solutions vbulletin, SMF, pbpBB etc send a notification email that included the entire new post in lieu of just "memberx has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled ....?"

I would like to give the customers a way of electronically recording correspondence and have a way of backing up all correspondence via email to a local server.

Zero102
01-08-2009, 10:12 AM
There are a number of ticket based CRM tools that would suit your needs far better than a forum for this purpose. You may want to look into something like sugarcrm, and if you want to have a knowledge base or something to go with it, pmwiki or mediawiki are good choices for that.

SugarCRM and related tools can give you metrics that forums simply cannot, time to resolution, issue classification, and all sorts of other little goodies.

(I am only suggesting open source / free software, I know there are way better tools out there but who wants to pay for them? ;) )

em2ab
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Also, with any open source software, there are hundreds of custom plugins that people have made for them. check out the forum at www.phpbb.com and it's likely that someone there has made what you're looking for.