PDA

View Full Version : Busted for Arabic tshirt

Pages : [1] 2

Generic
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
JetBlue Passenger Forced To Cover Arabic Shirt Gets $240k From JetBlue, TSA Employees By Chris Walters, 8:36 PM on Tue Jan 6 2009, 12,709 views In 2006, Raed Jaer, an Iraqi-born U.S. resident, was forced by TSA officials and JetBlue to cover his t-shirt—it read, "We Will Not Be Silent" in both Arabic and English—before he could board a flight. The airline and the two TSA officials (TSA was not named in the suit) settled out of court last week for $240,000, although JetBlue still denies they did anything wrong, and the TSA says they don't "condone profiling in any way shape or form." Here's what happened back in August 2006: After passing through security... [TSA and JetBlue officials] came up to him and asked him to change his shirt as, "people are feeling offended." Jaer replied, "Why do you want me to take off my t-shirt? Isn't it my constitutional right to express myself in this way?" Inspector Harris said, "people here in the US don't understand these things about constitutional rights." He added, "You can't wear a t-shirt with Arabic script and come to an airport. It is like wearing a t-shirt that reads "I am a robber" and going to a bank." When the settlement was announced, JetBlue took pains to make it clear that they're only settling to avoid a protracted legal battle, and that they don't think they did anything wrong, according to this email to the Washington Post: "JetBlue continues to deny, outright, every critical aspect of Mr. Jarrar's version of events," airline spokeswoman Alison Croyle said in an e-mailed statement. Croyle added, "JetBlue believes diversity adds great strength to our company; diversity among our crewmembers as well as our customers." Diversity, and silence! And obedience! Lower your heads, cattle passengers of all colors, and submit to the skittish herd! Anyway, we're happy for Jaer. We're also trying to come up with a good pseudo-terroristy tshirt design so we can try this ourselves.

interesting, what do you guys think?

top_speed
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
i feel like doing the same thing........easy way to make 250k:D

/////AMG
01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
lol they shouldn't have asked him to take his shirt off, simple as that.

GQBalla
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Werd ^^

Good for the buddy though.

calgarys_finest
It doesnt seem to big of a deal. No matter what his belives are hes looking for a reaction if he wears it to a airport.

Edit i would actually like to see the shirt.

zipdoa
Whats the big deal? His shirt didn't say anything offensive on it.... maybe i'm a bit clueless but i'm guessing his shirt refers to the invasion of iraq, yes?

Eleanor
01-08-2009, 10:31 AM
"You can't wear a t-shirt with Arabic script and come to an airport. It is like wearing a t-shirt that reads "I am a robber" and going to a bank."

:facepalm:

Toma
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
LMAO.... awesome.... gotta go get me some new tshirts!

Moe Man
01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by top_speed
i feel like doing the same thing........easy way to make 250k:D

did the iraqi win in court or did he have to pay $250?

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Really, the guy should've known better than to wear that shirt. Whether or not it's his constitutional right is besides the point; it's inflammatory and really is just asking for trouble. What, did he not have any other shirts that he could wear?

top_speed
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
iraqi gets 250k

Trini
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Toma
LMAO.... awesome.... gotta go get me some new tshirts!
:rofl: :rofl: for real
potentially some easy $

QuasarCav
Originally posted by Eleanor
"You can't wear a t-shirt with Arabic script and come to an airport. It is like wearing a t-shirt that reads "I am a robber" and going to a bank."

:facepalm:

That comment may be a bit off colour but for the most part it's how our society is.

hampstor
haha why are people scared of this? A REAL terrorist would know better than to advertise that he is one. It's not like the suicide bombers are running around with signs on their heads that say "SUICIDE BOMBER".

LadyLuck
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest

Edit i would actually like to see the shirt.

It could have looked something like this :dunno:

http://thecriticalvoice.org/Ricardo.jpg

Toma
01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
LMAO.... reminds me of Harold and Kumar go to Guantanamo lmao....

Toma
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

That comment may be a bit off colour but for the most part it's how our society is.
That part of society needs to be stomped with a size 13 boot

top_speed
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell
Really, the guy should've known better than to wear that shirt. Whether or not it's his constitutional right is besides the point; it's inflammatory and really is just asking for trouble. What, did he not have any other shirts that he could wear?
how is he asking for trouble ?? he can wear what ever the fuck he wants too....it just show american are becoming a bunch of pussies/

CUG
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM

That part of society needs to be stomped with a size 13 boot Kinda like your thinking?

Eleanor
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
That part of society needs to be stomped with a size 13 boot
:werd:

I wouldn't care if someone was running around the airport with a shirt that said I'm going to blow up a plane, I'd probably laugh.

CUG
01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't care if someone was running around the airport with a shirt that said I'm going to blow up a plane, I'd probably laugh. I wouldn't, I would use it as an excuse to beat some ass in an airport :rofl:

Toma
01-08-2009, 10:50 AM

how is he asking for trouble ?? he can wear what ever the fuck he wants too....it just show american are becoming a bunch of pussies/
Becoming?!?!?! :nut:

They have been so brainwashed into fear, they are afraid of their own shadows. The old Michael Moore movie was spot on, ... bowling for columbine. SO many people missed the message, and thought it was about guns, but it was about scaring society into quiet submission.

top_speed
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't care if someone was running around the airport with a shirt that said I'm going to blow up a plane, I'd probably laugh.

top_speed
01-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Becoming?!?!?! :nut:

They have been so brainwashed into fear, they are afraid of their own shadows. The old Michael Moore movie was spot on, ... bowling for columbine. SO many people missed the message, and thought it was about guns, but it was about scaring society into quiet submission.
i meant they are pussies:D

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Once again, that's besides the point. It doesn't matter if society is becoming crappy or whatnot, what matters is the reality of it. Okay, so America is paranoid and scared. You don't challenge that directly by doing something you know is likely to incite a strong response, even if you think it's silly. That's not how the world works, unfortunately. If you don't see or understand the unwritten norms and values of society, you're going to be disruptive to it, and no one gives a shit about whether or not you think it's fair. Reality check.

Toma
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM

You don't challenge that directly by doing something you know is likely to incite a strong response, even if you think it's silly. That's not how the world works, unfortunately.
Sure it is.... and he got $250k out of the deal, while drawing attention to the racism and profiling that is rampant in the US.

Brilliant move, PR wise... and monetary wise. :thumbsup:

If you were part of any group that was unfairly profiled, you would be a fundamental fuckstick if you DIDN'T take some sort of stand... especially a LEGAL one guaranteed to you by the laws of the country and its constitution.

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Sure it is.... and he got $250k out of the deal, while drawing attention to the racism and profiling that is rampant in the US.

Brilliant move, PR wise... and monetary wise. :thumbsup:

It's not what he meant to do man...it's not like he went in with a plan to do that, unlike half of the people here who are scheming about it now haha.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
JetBlue got exactly what they fucking deserved. It would have been one thing to ask politely him to take it off. It would have been wrong, but it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to insist that he take it off after the initial request, when the repercussions should have been setting in...that's just fucking retarded.

If I ever wore t-shirts with text or graphics on them, I'd buy this:
http://www.pwapparel.com/productcart/pc/catalog/mohammad_black.jpg

The guy might have just been fishing for attention, and looking to capitalizing on it when he got it, but that's not the issue. Good on him for going after them for it and standing up for his rights to freedom of expression.

Eleanor
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd get this:

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/xtremists.jpg

top_speed
01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
JetBlue got exactly what they fucking deserved. It would have been one thing to ask politely him to take it off. It would have been wrong, but it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to insist that he take it off after the initial request, when the repercussions should have been setting in...that's just fucking retarded.

and you would buy ass whooping with it too :rofl:

The guy might have just been fishing for attention, and looking to capitalizing on it when he got it, but that's not the issue. Good on him for going after them for it and standing up for his rights to freedom of expression.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 11:10 AM
and you would buy ass whooping with it too :rofl:

You must have a pretty low opinion of your fellow Canadians to think they'd stoop to violence over a T-shirt.

Maybe there's a fringe religious minority that would claim they'd resort to violence, but I believe the vast majority of Canadian Muslims are far to progressive and intelligent to react in such an uncalled for way to such a trivial thing.

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd get this:

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/xtremists.jpg

GOLDEN!

What jetblue was basically saying is that you can't wear a shirt with arabic writing on it because... arabs crashed planes on 9/11??

That's like saying I can't have a shirt with any german text because they slaughtered a ton of people a few years ago.

ZorroAMG
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I dunno....I think the iraqi was an asshole for doing that. He was doing it for that purpose, to get a rise out of everyone. Nice going dickhead, you want people to treat Arabs as equal, non-terrorists? How about NOT instilling fear in them. The ignorant will always be ignorant, no need to make things worse.

:rolleyes:

Constitutional right? Sure, maybe, but ever heard of class? It's my constitutional right to wear a t-shirt that says "I Fuck Your Mom's Ass While Your Dad Cries in the Corner" but I am sure it would offend some people (not beyonders of course) so I don't.

Where the fuck is common sense these days? Shall we change the saying to Common Dollars so greedy idiots start using it again?

/rant

Zipdoa..if you wore that T-shirt in 1950, you would have been killed....9-11 happened 7 years ago....WWII was over 60....

gretz
01-08-2009, 11:19 AM
unless the shirt is 'gang related' or affiliated with that type, i wouldn't see the problem.

If the suicide bombers were wearing those shirts, as well as the extremists, 9/11ers... i can understand why they would take action.

calgarys_finest
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I dunno....I think the iraqi was an asshole for doing that. He was doing it for that purpose, to get a rise out of everyone. Nice going dickhead, you want people to treat Arabs as equal, non-terrorists? How about NOT instilling fear in them. The ignorant will always be ignorant, no need to make things worse.

Constitutional right? Sure, maybe, but ever heard of class? It's my constitutional right to wear a t-shirt that says "I Fuck Your Mom's Ass While Your Dad Cries in the Corner" but I am sure it would offend some people (not beyonders of course) so I don't.

Where the fuck is common sense these days? Shall we change the saying to Common Dollars so greedy idiots start using it again?

/rant

Agreed. By the looks of the article they asked him to cover it up at first not even take it off. I dont think be bought the shirt because he like how it looked he bought it to get a reaction. If Jetblue had more than 1 complaint then they did the right thing.

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
When i was in Europe in 07...I purchased a T Shirt that read...

"Don't Panic, I'm Islamic"...

And I rocked it at Heathrow for most of the day while I waited for my flight back home AND on the British Airways plane back to Calgary...

I was not hated on (that I know of) and actually got a few chuckles from Heathrow security...

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM

/rant

I think you'd be right here if the t-shirt said anything at all offensive. But how much of a butthurt, sissy, panicky, fear riddled, motherfucker would you have to be to even look twice at a t-shit just because it had arabic writing on it.

If he'd have been wearing a t-shirt that said "9/11: You got what you deserved" or something like that, then yeah, sure, that's in terrible taste. But a t-shirt that says "We will not be silent"? Come on.

It's the difference between a peaceful political statement and trying to intentionally threaten or offend. Likewise, the t-shirt I posted above is a commentary on religion and how certain people think they can push their beliefs and crazy superstitions on the rest of us. It's a nearly silent protest, making just enough noise to draw attention to it's content.

Retards that would get offended at something that benign need to have it pointed out to them just how ridiculous and judgmental/racist/overly sensitive they are.

We shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because some hand wringers might not like what we have to say. Freedom of expression shouldn't be stifled because you don't like what someone has to say.

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Retards that would get offended at something that benign need to have it pointed out to them just how ridiculous and judgmental/racist/overly sensitive they are.

We shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because some hand wringers might not like what we have to say. Freedom of expression shouldn't be stifled because you don't like what someone has to say.

Yeah, we shouldn't but we do. Like I said before, ideals and theories are all nice and wonderful, but in the real world things are a lot more complex. You shouldn't have to hide the fact that you're gay or anti-Bush in the deep American south, but you'd be nothing but an idiot if you didn't. That's just how things are, like it or not.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Yeah, we shouldn't but we do. Like I said before, ideals and theories are all nice and wonderful, but in the real world things are a lot more complex. You shouldn't have to hide the fact that you're gay or anti-Bush in the deep American south, but you'd be nothing but an idiot if you didn't. That's just how things are, like it or not.

And as long as that kind of attitude persists, that's how things will remain.

If gays and lesbians wouldn't have come out and stood up for themselves, it'd still be OK to beat the shit out of them and leave them for dead tied up to a fencepost.
If King and others hadn't stood up for equal treatment, it'd still be OK to chain black people to your bumper and drag them around behind your pickup truck.

Do I really have to post my Izzy Stone quote again? That'll be twice in less than a month.

If you're OK with things being fucked up and wrong just because "that's the way things are", then fine, but don't try to slow the progress of people who are trying to improve the situation and right some of society's wrongs (usually at their own peril).

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM

/rant

Zipdoa..if you wore that T-shirt in 1950, you would have been killed....9-11 happened 7 years ago....WWII was over 60....

Zorro... it's not like the shirt said "9/11 was the BOMB!" in arabic, it simply said "We will not be silenced", and considering how badly Iraqi's have been raped, I can understand where he's coming from.

calgarys_finest
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM

I think you'd be right here if the t-shirt said anything at all offensive. But how much of a butthurt, sissy, panicky, fear riddled, motherfucker would you have to be to even look twice at a t-shit just because it had arabic writing on it.

If he'd have been wearing a t-shirt that said "9/11: You got what you deserved" or something like that, then yeah, sure, that's in terrible taste. But a t-shirt that says "We will not be silent"? Come on.

It's the difference between a peaceful political statement and trying to intentionally threaten or offend. Likewise, the t-shirt I posted above is a commentary on religion and how certain people think they can push their beliefs and crazy superstitions on the rest of us. It's a nearly silent protest, making just enough noise to draw attention to it's content.

I dont think it was offensive and im all for freedom of expression but "we will not be silent" could be mistaken for a action and not a voice. I think all they were trying to do was remove the fear of some of the other passengers in a better safe than sorry way. Also who is "we" is it a country or is it a religious group?

I am scared to see your reply because i know how strong opinioned you are sometimes. Please dont shoot me.

gretz
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM

if I wore a nazi hat and the same shirt "we will not be silent", in english and German, do you think that would be inappropriate? I can imagine some people would feel uncomfortable + offended at this.
If the airline required me to dress and act in a respectful manner to fly, whats the problem - follow the rules.

Gainsbarre
01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by gretz

if I wore a nazi hat and the same shirt "we will not be silent", in english and German, do you think that would be inappropriate? I can imagine some people would feel uncomfortable + offended at this.
If the airline required me to dress and act in a respectful manner to fly, whats the problem - follow the rules.

:facepalm: so wearing a nazi hat (whatever that may be) and being of middle eastern appearance are comparable?

The problem lies with the people who would feel uncomfortable seeing a shirt that reads "we will not be silenced", not the wearer itself.

you&me
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Zorro... it's not like the shirt said "9/11 was the BOMB!" in arabic, it simply said "We will not be silenced", and considering how badly Iraqi's have been raped, I can understand where he's coming from.

Though it might be proving their ignorance, what do you think the chances are that the Jetblue personnel could read Arabic? Likely, for all they knew, it said "I'm going to blow!"

Anyone that thinks this asshat was making a profound political statement is fooling themselves. He was doing it to get a rise out of people and nothing more. If he wanted to bring attention to the root issue, there are much better (both sensitive and effective) ways.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 11:57 AM

I dont think it was offensive and im all for freedom of expression but "we will not be silent" could be mistaken for a action and not a voice. I think all they were trying to do was remove the fear of some of the other passengers in a better safe than sorry way. Also who is "we" is it a country or is it a religious group?

Really? Because someone can miscontrue something out of ignorance and fear, it should be censored?
When Twisted Sister comes on the radio, I don't immediately race home for fear that Dee Snyder is about to rape my wife and child.

If the shirt had said "We're will not be silent" and had a picture of a gun or something, then you'd have a point. But basically what you're saying is that a completely benign political statement now becomes a threat offensive and obvious enough to warrant censorship just because it has Arabic writing on it. That preposterous. If it had been in Sanskrit or German or Chinese would you have been offended? Why is a language so threatening? How is it right that a language that's spoken by a huge percentage of the world suddenly becomes offensive simply because it appears in an airport?

I am scared to see your reply because i know how strong opinioned you are sometimes. Please dont shoot me.

Haha.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:03 PM

A swastika, iron cross, etc. carries an attached meaning. It, likely intentionally, invokes remembrance of a genocide, and one of the darkest moments in human history.

Do you really find this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Arabic_Language.svg/800px-Arabic_Language.svg.png
as offensive and threatening as this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Nazi_Swastika.svg/200px-Nazi_Swastika.svg.png

On a related note: I find white supremacists and neo-Nazi's abhorrent and disgusting. But I would never, never, insist they be forced to remove anything I found offensive. I don't agree with what they say, but that doesn't mean I get to censor their freedom.

If we were only allowed to wear, say, write things that no one found offensive, we wouldn't need to have freedom of expression at all.

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM

And as long as that kind of attitude persists, that's how things will remain.

If gays and lesbians wouldn't have come out and stood up for themselves, it'd still be OK to beat the shit out of them and leave them for dead tied up to a fencepost.
If King and others hadn't stood up for equal treatment, it'd still be OK to chain black people to your bumper and drag them around behind your pickup truck.

Do I really have to post my Izzy Stone quote again? That'll be twice in less than a month.

If you're OK with things being fucked up and wrong just because "that's the way things are", then fine, but don't try to slow the progress of people who are trying to improve the situation and right some of society's wrongs (usually at their own peril).

I agree with what you're saying in principal. However, I think you're taking things too extreme - standing up for civil rights of that magnitude is all well and good. In this specific example though, we're looking at Freedom of Speech, which is extremely grey. Liek someone else said, you probably shouldn't go around with inappropriate saying on your clothes. And in terms of how society right now defines it, that sort of message is not appropriate for an airport.

core_upt
01-08-2009, 12:07 PM

When Twisted Sister comes on the radio, I don't immediately race home for fear that Dee Snyder is about to rape my wife and child.

Dee Snyder raped Christina Aguillera's mom....
http://pinstripebindi.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/dee-snider.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38376000/jpg/_38376187_marm_ap.jpg

I am also taking my next flight with 'We're Not Gonna Take It' in arabic and english!

TKRIS
Originally posted by you&me

Though it might be proving their ignorance, what do you think the chances are that the Jetblue personnel could read Arabic? Likely, for all they knew, it said "I'm going to blow!"

So now not only are JetBlue's actions unconstitutional, but racist as well. Interesting... :rofl:

Anyone that thinks this asshat was making a profound political statement is fooling themselves. He was doing it to get a rise out of people and nothing more. If he wanted to bring attention to the root issue, there are much better (both sensitive and effective) ways.

I don't think there's a single thing this guy could have done that would have us talking about it right now. The fact that he put almost no effort into this, and we're discussing the issue a thousand miles away says, to me, his method was pretty damned effective.

zipdoa

Mmm.. i'm pretty sure the method he took to promote awareness might be a bit too 'strong' for some, but in the big picture, he's a pretty tame protestor. Not an extremist by any sense of the word. If he was trying to get a rise out of people... isn't that the point? Why protest if no one pays any attention? What good is fighting for a cause if nobody is listening?

The shirt was not offensive, the fact of the matter is that many Americans are paranoid and ignorant, and it doesn't matter what language was printed on the shirt (i mean arabic, chinese, german, whatever), he was a paying customer, and therefore is free to wear what he wants on the plane. Hell, I used to have a shirt from pinkbike.com that said 'I love 7 inches in the rear' and had a picture of a rear bike shock on the back. I'm sure I offended a lot of people wearing it. Do I give a shit? No. Does it make me a bad human being? No. Poor taste? debatable, but the fact of the matter is, I'm free to wear what I want, where I want, and if people are too sensitive to read arabic text because they're scared of getting blown away, grow a fucking pair and turn off CNN.

On a related note: I find white supremacists and neo-Nazi's abhorrent and disgusting. But I would never, never, insist they be forced to remove anything I found offensive. I don't agree with what they say, but that doesn't mean I get to censor their freedom.

If we were only allowed to wear, say, write things that no one found offensive, we wouldn't need to have freedom of expression at all.

Highschool social studies should have taught us that:

"I disagree with what you say, but will fight to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire

gretz
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

:facepalm: so wearing a nazi hat (whatever that may be) and being of middle eastern appearance are comparable?

The problem lies with the people who would feel uncomfortable seeing a shirt that reads "we will not be silenced", not the wearer itself.

it was an analogy - not a literal statement. You so don't get it. Stereotypes scare people. German and middle eastern people (as well as every race) have certain stereotypes, if they wear clothing, act.... to these stereotypes, what do they think is going to happen?

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:12 PM

I agree with what you're saying in principal. However, I think you're taking things too extreme - standing up for civil rights of that magnitude is all well and good. In this specific example though, we're looking at Freedom of Speech, which is extremely grey. Liek someone else said, you probably shouldn't go around with inappropriate saying on your clothes. And in terms of how society right now defines it, that sort of message is not appropriate for an airport.

How dare those uppity Arabs make any sort of political statement in an airport!! Don't they realize they're responsible for what happened on 9/11?!? They should be more considerate of people who think all Arabs are terrorists and are using their secret cave language t-shirts to give bombing directions!!!

bakalala kalaka sherpa sherpa mohammad jihad.

Ahhh, dirka dirka dirka...

Challenging people's ignorance and racism is a pretty goddamned effective way to draw attention to it, and start a dialogue on why it's unacceptable, which is exactly what this guy has done, as evidenced by this thread.

calgarys_finest
I guess what really bothers me is that he wore a shirt looking for a reaction and when he got a reaction and offended people he inturn wanted compensation. To me that would be like someone getting into a accident to get a new car. He had to have known that eventually someone would be offended.

Eleanor
EDIT: To gretz

So an Arabic guy wearing a shirt with Arabic writing is a stereotype?

I don't quite get your reasoning :dunno:

ZorroAMG
01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
quote:

Exactly. Zipdoa, do you read arabic? It's provocation for no reason, plain and simple. Sure we SHOULDNT react like that...most of us educated folk don't, but there are FAR too many ignorant, uneducated masses in the states to be silly enough to try this.

TKRIS, I think we in Canada have done a much better job of disabling the ignorance far more than the US...the us has MAJOR problems, some rightfully, some not.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I guess what really bothers me is that he wore a shirt looking for a reaction and when he got a reaction and offended people he inturn wanted compensation. To me that would be like someone getting into a accident to get a new car. He had to have known that eventually someone would be offended.

Going after JetBlue was the only way to push his story into the limelight. If he'd have just taken his shirt off and gotten all pissy, about 4 people would know about it. By winning his suit, tens of thousands of people will hear about it, and a lot of them will start talking. And when people start really talking, their ideas get challenged, which is the ideal goal for any political statement.

Like I said before, the guy may well have been fishing, but his story has raised some great fodder for conversation, and maybe a couple of those who'd have previously been offended by such a shirt will question themselves, and realize the error of that.

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
quote:

Exactly. Zipdoa, do you read arabic? It's provocation for no reason, plain and simple. Sure we SHOULDNT react like that...most of us educated folk don't, but there are FAR too many ignorant, uneducated masses in the states to be silly enough to try this.

TKRIS, I think we in Canada have done a much better job of disabling the ignorance far more than the US...the us has MAJOR problems, some rightfully, some not.

It is translated in english right underneath the arabic text.

Are you saying that arabic text should be banned from shirts because it's scary? Would it be less scary or more scary without a translation underneath? Would this have even been an issue if he only had the english text on the shirt?

EDIT:

No I don't read arabic... but I can put 2 and 2 together... and I can assume that the arabic text on the shirt is just a translation of the english statement.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:23 PM

It is translated in english right underneath the arabic text.

Are you saying that arabic text should be banned from shirts because it's scary? Would it be less scary or more scary without a translation underneath? Would this have even been an issue if he only had the english text on the shirt?

Exactly, and will Arabic text get less scary if it remains socially acceptable to be frightened of it?

Doesn't it place all Arabic people in a poor light if their native language instills such fear that it needs to be banned from airplanes?

The fact that people are scared of, what is to them, a bunch of squiggles would be absolutely hysterical if it wasn't so goddamned depressing.

No I don't read arabic... but I can put 2 and 2 together... and I can assume that the arabic text on the shirt is just a translation of the english statement.
As oppose to a clever ruse designed to lure whitey into a false sense of security while the brown guys plot our destruction?

gretz
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
EDIT: To gretz

So an Arabic guy wearing a shirt with Arabic writing is a stereotype?

I don't quite get your reasoning :dunno:

All people are stereotyped at first glance - that particular item of clothing (not just because it had arabic writing on it) has a strong message from a disaster, regardless of language. It is a delicate subject in the states, which is proven with the act by the airline.

Im not for or against what actions were taken, i just see more people talking about rights and freedom without looking from another point of view.

Toma
01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

And I rocked it at Heathrow for most of the day while I waited for my flight back home AND on the British Airways plane back to Calgary...

I was not hated on (that I know of) and actually got a few chuckles from Heathrow security...

:thumbsup:

Eleanor
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
As oppose to a clever ruse designed to lure whitey into a false sense of security while the brown guys plot our destruction?
Imagine a shirt that has Arabic text over English text with the Arabic text reading "I love Bruce Springsteen" and the English text saying "Stone the infidels"

:rofl:

R154
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM
The level of stupidity in this thread is astounding. How can a language be associated with genocide???

This deep rooted fear of "everyone who looks like them [terrorists]" needs to be solved. Far from the epicenter of stupid there are still factions of you posting in this thread :facepalm:.

Whether his actions are deplorable or not, I find people at the u of c promoting pro-life with their gross posters, and neo-nazi marches far more offensive then this. However as a fellow citizen who enjoys my rights, it is completely within them for those people to do as they please.

You can talk about being couth and responsible till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, what he did is pretty fucking tame. Its just the fact that arabs are the big scary monster in the closet. Before them it was black people. Chinese people. Native people. Gay people.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Imagine a shirt that has Arabic text over English text with the Arabic text reading "I love Bruce Springsteen" and the English text saying "Stone the infidels"

:rofl:

Fuck that's good.
We've gotta have an Arabic speaker willing to do the graphic here.

Toma
01-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Exactly, and will Arabic text get less scary if it remains socially acceptable to be frightened of it?

Well god damn... then if any text should be banned for being scary, it should be English....

I mean, no one in the last 60 years has killed more people then the Americans.

I dunno, if I saw someone with English writing on a tshirt, I may just be paralyzed with fear.

gretz
01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
clearing this up : The whole Nazi deal was a super strong analogy to let people understand that if you wear certain articles, it can offend people and make them uncomfortable - by these comments it was a pretty potant one.

Nazi genocides are obviously non compareable in the literal sense to arabic writing - thanks for clearing that up for me, however i was talking about a specific race wearing an article of clothing that offends people, not what the nazi's did and what they stood for. Sorry if you misunderstood

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 12:39 PM

Well god damn... then if any text should be banned for being scary, it should be English....

I mean, no one in the last 60 years has killed more people then the Americans.

I dunno, if I saw someone with English writing on a tshirt, I may just be paralyzed with fear.

I'm not disputing that... well I am... cause the Germans killed a LOT of Jews in WW2. Like a lot. Like holy fuck they killed a few million. I know the Americans are responsible for a lot of blood... but more than the Germans? How many did they kill in Vietnam? and the Gulf war? and the Iraq invasion? maybe you're right...

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Fuck that's good.
We've gotta have an Arabic speaker willing to do the graphic here.

Not quite Springsteen cause google didn't have a translator, but Brad Pitt is almost as good.

احب براد بيت!

I Love Brad Pitt !

R154
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
So... do you duck for cover when you are walking down stephen ave and you see an asian wearing a shirt with their dialect on it? OH SHIT HES GOTTZ A GUNZ!!oneone!!!111 RUN!!!! HES A TRIAD!!! (though that makes little sense in modern day).

Its all about who is in the hot seat. Gaurun-fuckin-teed
if someone was shot today by a gang member wearing a christian audigeir (sp?) hoody there would be soccer moms and momofan's protesting their gang affiliation until the next obviously linked scenario rears its head.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm not disputing that... well I am... cause the Germans killed a LOT of Jews in WW2. Like a lot. Like holy fuck they killed a few million. I know the Americans are responsible for a lot of blood... but more than the Germans? How many did they kill in Vietnam? and the Gulf war? and the Iraq invasion? maybe you're right...

1.) It's always the Americans fault with Toma. Like I've said before, the only thing he believes is whatever is opposite to what the Americans believe. He has no mind of his own. All he can do is parrot what he perceives America's opinion to be, in reverse.

2.) When you quote him, I have to read what he said, which completely defeats the purpose of the ignore button. Please show a little courtesy.

Toma
01-08-2009, 12:49 PM

1.) It's always the Americans fault with Toma. Like I've said before, the only thing he believes is whatever is opposite to what the Americans believe. He has no mind of his own. All he can do is parrot what he perceives America's opinion to be, in reverse.

2.) When you quote him, I have to read what he said, which completely defeats the purpose of the ignore button. Please show a little courtesy.
I deliberately said 60 years so that there is no question.

And it's a fact. No one has killed more in the last 60 years then the yankees. I am not placing blame, I am just pointing out the obvious.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-08-2009, 12:49 PM

:rofl: :rofl: So good.

gretz
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by R154
So... do you duck for cover when you are walking down stephen ave and you see an asian wearing a shirt with their dialect on it? OH SHIT HES GOTTZ A GUNZ!!oneone!!!111 RUN!!!! HES A TRIAD!!! (though that makes little sense in modern day).

You dont get it - its not that there was arabic font on the shirt at all, its what the shirt stood for (positive or the assumed negative).

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
ayre ayre...sharamuth....

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM

You dont get it - its not that there was arabic font on the shirt at all, its what the shirt stood for (positive or the assumed negative).

If your ignorance causes you to misconstrue such a benign message, that is your fault, not the fault of the messenger.

Frightened hand wringers will always find something to be frightened and wring their hands about. That is their deficiency, and is in now way justification for limiting the freedom of expression of others.

If you can't deal with life, that's your problem. It's not the duty of the rest of us to change it to accommodate your prejudices and ignorance.

The freedom of expression is specifically designed to protect things certain people might find offensive.
Freedom of expression isn't needed if what you're saying isn't controversial.
The only reason Freedom of Expression exists is to give us the ability to express ourselves, and our ideas, without fear of being censored because someone else doesn't like what we have to say.

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM

The shirt was not offensive, the fact of the matter is that many Americans are paranoid and ignorant, and it doesn't matter what language was printed on the shirt (i mean arabic, chinese, german, whatever), he was a paying customer, and therefore is free to wear what he wants on the plane. Hell, I used to have a shirt from pinkbike.com that said 'I love 7 inches in the rear' and had a picture of a rear bike shock on the back. I'm sure I offended a lot of people wearing it. Do I give a shit? No. Does it make me a bad human being? No. Poor taste? debatable, but the fact of the matter is, I'm free to wear what I want, where I want, and if people are too sensitive to read arabic text because they're scared of getting blown away, grow a fucking pair and turn off CNN.

See, that's the kind of blind ignorance that causes this sort of thing in the first place. He is a paying customer so he gets to wear whatever? Wrong. He gets to follow the rules and get on the plane. His money is not a free pass to be inappropriate in any way, which is why service companies always reserve the right to refuse service etc etc.

And regarding your attitude about wearing or saying what you want - pure ignorance. Like I said before, as an ideal it would be great, but realistically it's not the way it works. You proclaiming what you will and how you will dismisses societal norms and just causes uneccesary disruption. People walking down the street with "I hate blacks" t-shirts on have the right to wear that, constitutionally, but in practice that's completely outrageous and won't be stood for. There's a difference between having an opinion and correctly presenting it in the appropriate context versus deliberately causing shit and then playing the victim. You want to eliminate the stereotype that Arabic people are terrorists? Do it in a constructive manner that shows Arabic people doing goodwill or fighting against other terrorists or whatever. This sort of stunt is not going change the minds of those who have unjustly stereotyped Arabs at all.

gretz
01-08-2009, 01:00 PM

If your ignorance causes you to misconstrue such a benign message, that is your fault, not the fault of the messenger.

Frightened hand wringers will always find something to be frightened and wring their hands about. That is their deficiency, and is in now way justification for limiting the freedom of expression of others.

If you can't deal with life, that's your problem. It's not the duty of the rest of us to change it to accommodate your prejudices and ignorance.

so true, i just like to stir the water. Obviously it was unjustified.... I tried to go from the Yank perspective as best i could (challenging)... obviously that perspective is shit, which is why courts ruled in his favor.

Sorry for getting you guys worked up, I like a challenge

R154
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
No I get it, I made a very valid counterpoint. It is you that doesnt understand that society isnt a baby-sitting service. However sometimes stength in numbers often means that the simplest denominator is the prevailing thought. If you can find a way to make a +b=c then people are more willing to believe it then a=b (1=.999r).

Unfortunately after 9/11 arabs in general were demonized. This is where all this misinformed anger comes from.

R154
01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Hyperzell I find anime and all that shit in general to be for infants, and counter productive. On top of it I find that it harbours an irrelistic view of life, and the artistic value is worthless. Does that mean that you shouldnt be able to wear a shirt of those drawings/insignia's on it for fear you might offend me? I certainly hope not.

As far as im concerned, his shirt and my comparison show the same level of offensiveness.

I try to accomodate people as best as I can, However you cant sanitize the world for fear that kritafo might get her panties in a knot.

Generic
01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Tomaz is too funny
what a chump.

Wehbeast
01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
ayre ayre...sharamuth....

sharmout no H at the end lol

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Wehbeast

sharmout no H at the end lol

Meh, I don't spear Arabic...I only pray in it...so I shouldn't know the bad stuff hahaha....

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 01:20 PM

See, that's the kind of blind ignorance that causes this sort of thing in the first place. He is a paying customer so he gets to wear whatever? Wrong. He gets to follow the rules and get on the plane. His money is not a free pass to be inappropriate in any way, which is why service companies always reserve the right to refuse service etc etc.

And regarding your attitude about wearing or saying what you want - pure ignorance. Like I said before, as an ideal it would be great, but realistically it's not the way it works. You proclaiming what you will and how you will dismisses societal norms and just causes uneccesary disruption. People walking down the street with "I hate blacks" t-shirts on have the right to wear that, constitutionally, but in practice that's completely outrageous and won't be stood for. There's a difference between having an opinion and correctly presenting it in the appropriate context versus deliberately causing shit and then playing the victim. You want to eliminate the stereotype that Arabic people are terrorists? Do it in a constructive manner that shows Arabic people doing goodwill or fighting against other terrorists or whatever. This sort of stunt is not going change the minds of those who have unjustly stereotyped Arabs at all.

:facepalm: Christ, He wasn't wearing a shirt that targeted any sort of group at all. Your argument might make sense if this was a case of racism. The point is, if you wear a shirt that says "I hate blacks." You're an ignorant douchebag, and everyone knows it, but you can still go ahead and wear it, and I'm all for that freedom. Make sense?? once again, I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's stupid and ignorant. This man was wronged, end of story. Remember what the shirt said? "We will not be silenced", and that is exactly what he achieved.

edit:

The point is, the shirt isn't offensive, neither is the text, the security guards had a fit because they don't like seeing arabic text. This dude threatened no one, and therefore, your theory that he was an attention whore or trying to disrupt society does not apply. He's standing up for what he believes in, so power to him for doing so! If Americans were pwning Canadians like they are Iraqi's, you can be damn sure that I would wear a shirt sharing a similar statement, and I wouldn't let some security official make me take it off because he's scared I might blow him away.

Toms-SC
01-08-2009, 01:31 PM

ROFL!

ZorroAMG
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
AGAIN, zipdoa et al. INTELLIGENT people can figure out that the arabic writing represents what is written in english, but these are Americans, we are talking about. For them, who's to say it doesn't say All Y'all Fukkas be Ded When I getz on Dis Plane. That's all I'm saying.

*prints his own arabic t-shirt*

I think I'm gonna print Nikk Aireh on my shirt in arabic and leave Nike Air below hahahaha

HyperZell
01-08-2009, 02:00 PM

:facepalm: Christ, He wasn't wearing a shirt that targeted any sort of group at all. Your argument might make sense if this was a case of racism. The point is, if you wear a shirt that says "I hate blacks." You're an ignorant douchebag, and everyone knows it, but you can still go ahead and wear it, and I'm all for that freedom. Make sense?? once again, I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's stupid and ignorant. This man was wronged, end of story. Remember what the shirt said? "We will not be silenced", and that is exactly what he achieved.

edit:

The point is, the shirt isn't offensive, neither is the text, the security guards had a fit because they don't like seeing arabic text. This dude threatened no one, and therefore, your theory that he was an attention whore or trying to disrupt society does not apply. He's standing up for what he believes in, so power to him for doing so! If Americans were pwning Canadians like they are Iraqi's, you can be damn sure that I would wear a shirt sharing a similar statement, and I wouldn't let some security official make me take it off because he's scared I might blow him away.

Just so we're clear, the shirt thing is a test against the constitutional right of freedom of speech. My point is that yes, that shirt can be worn. But should it? Of course not. It is clearly racist, as you pointed out.

Obviously, the arabic shirt in question is not as offensive as the example I created. However, it still follows the same principle - it was inappropriate for the situation. How inappropriate is arguable. "Was it appropriate?" is answered by the people at the airport. They were offended, so yes, it was inappropriate. Should they have been offended? That is arguable, but also moot. Most of you are saying that people should not be so paranoid, and I agree, but the fact is that this is the state of society right now in the States. Blindly going against that in such a manner is not the right way to go about changing things. See what I mean? The right to Freedom of Speech should not be taken lightly, nor abused, nor ignored.

Edit: And R154, no. It's not the same level of offensiveness because you, like many others here, are not considering the context. If you wear an "Anime is stupid" shirt in your house and you post on here about how you hate it, fine. Your right to do so. But if you go to an anime convention with said shirt, you're a moron. Yes, it's still your right, but you're just asking for trouble because you are not considering the context.

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
AGAIN, zipdoa et al. INTELLIGENT people can figure out that the arabic writing represents what is written in english, but these are Americans, we are talking about. For them, who's to say it doesn't say All Y'all Fukkas be Ded When I getz on Dis Plane. That's all I'm saying.

*prints his own arabic t-shirt*

I think I'm gonna print Nikk Aireh on my shirt in arabic and leave Nike Air below hahahaha

I understand the point your making, but I don't think stupidity warrants censorship... do you?

Ideally, not wearing the shirt would've avoided this situation... but then again, if they security didn't beef the t-shirt, the airline wouldn't be out $250 000. Hindsight is 20/20, and if I were the one in charge I would've chosen $250 000 over potentially offending the unintelligent.

Kona9
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Maybe it was a company shirt for a Muslim American Deaf Persons Organization.
:dunno:

zorb1
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Maybe it was a company shirt for a Muslim American Deaf Persons Organization.
:dunno:

exactly, it was ignorance either way..i mean if somebody was forced to cover a shirt that had the isreali flag or something..same deal

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Just so we're clear, the shirt thing is a test against the constitutional right of freedom of speech. My point is that yes, that shirt can be worn. But should it? Of course not. It is clearly racist, as you pointed out.

Obviously, the arabic shirt in question is not as offensive as the example I created. However, it still follows the same principle - it was inappropriate for the situation. How inappropriate is arguable. "Was it appropriate?" is answered by the people at the airport. They were offended, so yes, it was inappropriate. Should they have been offended? That is arguable, but also moot. Most of you are saying that people should not be so paranoid, and I agree, but the fact is that this is the state of society right now in the States. Blindly going against that in such a manner is not the right way to go about changing things. See what I mean? The right to Freedom of Speech should not be taken lightly, nor abused, nor ignored.

Appropriate is not, nor has it ever been, the issue. Appropriate is a vague and relative concept that's completely irrelevant to this discussion..

I agree that Freedom of Speech should not be taken lightly, and it certainly should not be censored for the sake of appropriateness or protecting the status quo.
Exercising your right to freedom of expression, however trivial, is in no way abusing it. Regardless of whether or not the message is a constroversial one, an inappropriate one, or a trivial one, we ALL have the right, and I would argue the duty, to practice our freedom of expression.
I'll always support the individual's freedom to express himself, regardless of the content, and I'll always encourage the challenging of societal norms and the disruption of the status quo, for this is the only way we can ever progress. If we, as a society, don't want to become stagnant, we need people who are going to constantly be testing the fence.

Edit: And R154, no. It's not the same level of offensiveness because you, like many others here, are not considering the context. If you wear an "Anime is stupid" shirt in your house and you post on here about how you hate it, fine. Your right to do so. But if you go to an anime convention with said shirt, you're a moron. Yes, it's still your right, but you're just asking for trouble because you are not considering the context.

WTF? Are you high?
If you hate anime, war, Bush, broccoli, etc the BEST MOST EFFECTIVE place to voice your opinion on the matter is at an anime convention, military summit, Bush speech, or broccoli farm.

If you're just going to wear your anime sucks t-shirt when you're alone and sitting on the couch, then it's not a statement. A statement needs an audience.

Eleanor
01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
The point is, the shirt isn't offensive, neither is the text, the security guards had a fit because they don't like seeing arabic text.
/thread.

R154
01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I am failing to see how an airport can be equated to an anime convention. Are arabs not aloud in airports?
However, this brings up a very valid point; if this had happened at a bus station, or a train station would it have stired the same contraversy?

If I wore an anti-gay shirt to a gay parade, I would be an ass. However wearing a shirt which the message is completely unrelated to 9/11 or an airport for that matter, is in no way the same animal.

This is just a thinly veiled showing that ignorance is still prevailing. I hate to use the word racism, mainly because as a brown man I feel its a slight cop-out. However, this is plain and simple racism.

So much fear. It isnt about censorship, tons of more disgusting shit is aloud to continue (I cited examples). however this "dont say anything that could potentially make baby jesus cry" bullshit is an excuse to circumvent the main issue. Blind fear that alot of people have spent alot of time instilling in others.

...How long ago was it that people thought being gay was infectious? Oh thats right, people still believe that, but with increased exposure and breaking down the demonization rights have started to be adopted to protect them from scared little homophobes.

/////AMG
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM

:thumbsup: I don't think many places would have a problem with it except America.

I've got a shirt thats says TERRORIST in big bold letters and underneath in small writing it says (UNDERCOVER).
Thats just asking for trouble... lol or is it? :angel:

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG

:thumbsup: I don't think many places would have a problem with it except America.

Well I was the only one in the line of people waiting for the security check asked to remove my shoes right before the duty free shops...hahahaha....

/////AMG
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
:rofl: Funny that, I was the only person who had to do that too AND from Calgary as well. :facepalm:

bashir26
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Well I was the only one in the line of people waiting for the security check asked to remove my shoes right before the duty free shops...hahahaha....

In Vancouver I was asked to take off my belt because it had a skull on it. They said people would get scared and that I could hurt someone with it. I ended up shipping it in a separate box.

They also checked my laptop for chemical stuff.

I'm not even arab.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
They also checked my laptop for chemical stuff.

They always check my laptop, etc.
Hell, they check my daughter's stroller and diaper bag too.

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I remember 16 and making my way to california... at this point I looked like a kurt cobain wannabe... a mop of a haircut, tall and skinny, probably the least threatening looking thing on earth... low and behold I had to open up my pants at a security checkpoint in the States... I have never had do to anything of the sort going to any other country. Kind of felt a little violated at that age!

bashir26
01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
^u know you liked it.

TKRIS
01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Zip: Yeah, when I was a 17 year old skid I got put through the ringer pretty good at customs on my way to an Aerosmith concert. Held us up for about 2 hours and ripped the van apart looking for "my" stash.

Lot's of intimidation and bullshit.

Can't say as I blame them. If we'd have just been going down ourselves, as oppose to having a friend's parents drive us, and knowing me when I was 17, their search probably wouldn't have been in vain.

zipdoa
01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
^u know you liked it.

Ignored :rolleyes: