PDA

View Full Version : Green Party wants lower speed limits

Canmorite
01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
If we had mandatory lower speed limits, along with strong enforcement, we could save even more lives. This would also help us lower our greenhouse gas emissions at the same time, not to mention health care costs,”

:facepalm:

I'm glad these fools didn't gain one seat in the last election.

http://www.greenparty.ca/en/media-release/2008-12-15/lower-speed-limits-can-save-money-and-lives

badatusrnames
01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
They could also achieve all of that by outlawing driving altogether...

mx73someday
01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
It would also slow the economy, which means less tax revenue to pay for that "strong enforcement".

Thomas Gabriel
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Whenever people ask for lower speed limits, I feel like going out and running over a bunch of small children at 30km/hour.

x.staygold.x
01-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Hakkola
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Don't really care, they're not in power, and I don't really follow speed limits anyway. :dunno:

rage2
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Slower limits == more stop and go == higher fuel consumption == more greenhouse gases.

Funny.

KRyn
01-08-2009, 08:25 PM
The Green party didn't win a seat in the last election so the fact that they are making any noise is stupid. bunch of fucking tree hugging hippies.

DannyO
01-08-2009, 08:57 PM
They give pot smokers a bad name.

PaleRider
01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Slower limits == more stop and go == higher fuel consumption == more greenhouse gases.

Funny.

maybe they'll eliminate red lights and stop signs as well - problem solved.

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Actually during the energy crisis in the US in the 1970s, this was done on highways to reduce fuel consumption and in theory, it works as cars are most fuel efficient in the 90 km/h range (generally speaking). I would not support this in any other road as they are slow enough as it is.

I speed on the highways, but am mixed on this...I see a very easy way to to reduce emissions but seems to imposing on freedoms...although I guess you are free to do what you want. Its almost like a user pay system- you want to pollute more, you pay for more gas, more tax, speeding fines, etc.

:dunno:

01RedDX
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Jlude
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Funny.

How would slower speed limits mean more stop and go?

Say someone stops to turn into a parking lot or something, then yes you would have to stop, but it would take less effort to get up to the speed limit than if the limits were higher.

Edit: But I guess if the speeds are slower, traffic would become more congested which would cause stop and go...

I dunno, I was just looking for something to argue about and I've got nothing.

?????
01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Well if they raise the speed limit we would get to our destinations faster = less time on the road = less greenhouse gases.

schocker
01-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I dont follow how it would really save lives, driver error causes more accidents than speed :dunno:
Go away green party:thumbsdow

bashir26
01-09-2009, 12:44 AM
If there was a party that wanted to increase speed limit you sure as hell can bet id vote for them

sxtasy
01-09-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm doubling the speed limit tomorrow, because I can, and because I hate the green party!

method
01-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Hopefully you die and drive up the cost of health care :dunno:

Super_Geo
01-09-2009, 01:51 AM
They're completely wrong... higher speed limits lower health care costs.

If you get into an accident doing 80km/hr, you'll break a bunch of shit and could end up in a hospital bed for weeks... price of health care goes up.

If you get into an accident going 160km/hr, you'll probably die and spend 0 days in a hospital bed... price of health care goes down.

In fact making seat belts illegal on highways would probably lower the cost of health care as well.

Fucking Green Party... :facepalm:

broken_legs
01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
They're completely wrong... higher speed limits lower health care costs.

If you get into an accident doing 80km/hr, you'll break a bunch of shit and could end up in a hospital bed for weeks... price of health care goes up.

If you get into an accident going 160km/hr, you'll probably die and spend 0 days in a hospital bed... price of health care goes down.

In fact making seat belts illegal on highways would probably lower the cost of health care as well.

Fucking Green Party... :facepalm:

I like the way you think Super_Geo :thumbsup:

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Whenever people ask for lower speed limits, I feel like going out and running over a bunch of small children at 30km/hour.

How did no one catch this? I fucking laughed my face off.

Eleanor
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

Originally posted by Super_Geo
:rofl:

modded46
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Fucking hippies.. Cars have become VERY safe at pretty much all speeds.. It's people like this that would put as back in horse and buggy if they had the chance.. Speed limits IMO are stupid and in no way whatsoever prevent accidents.. You can kill someone doing 30km/h just as easily if you were doing 130.. (weather permitting of course) hehehe

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Modded46, I just saw your avatar for the first time.

I love it.