PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to buy a bed 'box' frame?

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Its kind of hard to describe but I am looking for a bed frame that is just a square box that holds the mattress and sits on the floor. It does not have a headboard and the ones I have seen are usually black. I have searched many places and they just seem to have normal beds with headboards.

They are pretty minimal in design but I am guessing are kind of expensive.

Has anyone else seen these things?

EDIT: I'm looking for something exactly like thishttp://www.platformbeds.com/img/categories/ls_zurich_lg.jpg

Canmorite
01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Nevermind...

I'd read what you write but you keep editing :poosie:

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
^You have not read what I wrote lol..

And those things bring apart and squeak anyways.

Canmorite
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
No idea where to get one unfortunately. Don't you DARE ask for a deal though. Who do you think you are trying to take money away from a salesman?

ercchry
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
i have a buddy that is a carpenter, he is always looking for side projects. pm if interested and i will ask him

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
No idea where to get one unfortunately. Don't you DARE ask for a deal though. Who do you think you are trying to take money away from a salesman?

^Yeah I am going to pay retail for this one I think.

ecstasy_civic
01-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Check EQ3 they have alot of beds like that.

Kloubek
01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Thought you said the one you were looking for didn't have a headboard? :dunno:

Nice bed though. I think it *might* be called a "platform bed", judging by the pic.

ExtraSlow
01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Ikea sells a bed that is similar to that. I have it and I'm really happy with it. This style of bed is less susceptible to squeaks when engaging in bedtime exercises.
Ikea - Manda bed frame with storage (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80121338)

dj_rice
01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Ikea has tons of those kinda of styles

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S99849956

Heres one with no headboard

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80121338

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Check EQ3 they have alot of beds like that.

Thanks- those are really nice actually. :D

Originally posted by Kloubek
Thought you said the one you were looking for didn't have a headboard? :dunno:

Nice bed though. I think it *might* be called a "platform bed", judging by the pic.

Well I guess I meant not a super intrusive headboard- that one is not bad. And yes I think you are correct...platform bed is what it is called.

And good job on the ikea finds- those are more like what I am looking for.

Tik-Tok
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This style of bed is less susceptible to squeaks when engaging in bedtime exercises.

Yeah, but it's also hard to do some bedtime exercises with wide edges like that.

ercchry
01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, but it's also hard to do some bedtime exercises with wide edges like that.

yeah and at that low height it limits a few fun um... exercises

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by ercchry

yeah and at that low height it limits a few fun um... exercises

Hmmm....good points...lol...taken under consideration...

ExtraSlow
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
If you use a box spring under the mattress on the Mandal frame I posted, it's plenty high enough for some of the exercises.

Mckenzie
01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If you use a box spring under the mattress on the Mandal frame I posted, it's plenty high enough for some of the exercises.

Is the lip high enough to stop the mattress from moving around / off the bed?

Tik-Tok
01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Is the lip high enough to stop the mattress from moving around / off the bed?

just fyi, our frame is 1/3 of the width of that thing, and I've gotten bruises on my anterior shins (of course slippery hardwood doesn't help either)

sxtothe240
01-09-2009, 12:28 AM

just fyi, our frame is 1/3 of the width of that thing, and I've gotten bruises on my anterior shins (of course slippery hardwood doesn't help either)

My bed is exactly like that, and i ALWAYS bump my shins getting into bed. such a bitch. Also the corners are sharp as hell.

Mckenzie
01-09-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by sxtothe240

My bed is exactly like that, and i ALWAYS bump my shins getting into bed. such a bitch. Also the corners are sharp as hell.

I was also concerned with that...here is a quote from a review of a sears bed.

This is a mid range platform bed. Make sure you wear shin pads when you are making the bed, or else keep plenty of bandages handy! I have damaged and cut my ankles and lower calf at least once a month. I think I am going to put tennis balls on the corners! It REALLY hurts when you bump the sharp edges at the bottom of the bed. They are EXACTLY ankle height and SHARP! A very poor design. But, now I have made my bed, and I have to sleep in it! Grrrrrr....look for safer products if you are considering this!

theken
01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
i have one in my basement, not black, it is the medium color, not really using it, it is from ikea.

it is the oak color

ercchry
01-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i have a buddy that is a carpenter, he is always looking for side projects. pm if interested and i will ask him

cough, cough

umm he has the technology to make something ankle friendly

ee2k
01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Its kind of hard to describe but I am looking for a bed frame that is just a square box that holds the mattress and sits on the floor. It does not have a headboard and the ones I have seen are usually black. I have searched many places and they just seem to have normal beds with headboards.

They are pretty minimal in design but I am guessing are kind of expensive.

Has anyone else seen these things?

EDIT: I'm looking for something exactly like thishttp://www.platformbeds.com/img/categories/ls_zurich_lg.jpg

Go to the design district, on 11 Ave SE. Go to Urban Barn, Ikea, and the other stores in the area. It's all over the place.

BlackArcher101
01-09-2009, 11:22 PM
These are more common beds than you think, usually called platform beds. However, most stores don't put them on the display floor and instead you need to look through their catalogs. Go to a few furniture websites and you'll notice more on there.

AndrewMZ3
01-10-2009, 02:28 AM
They have these platform bedframes at a lot of stores. I picked mine up from Nordesign, but it has a headboard. I don't quite remember if there were any without headboards.

Sojourn and Revolve also have platform bedframes like this.

Impreza
01-10-2009, 03:26 AM
You can find something that is pretty much EXACTLY like that from Ligne Roset, but it won't be cheap though.

eb0i
01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I have one almost exactly like the picture. I got it from Revolve Furnishings.

sillysod
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Don't waste your $$$ on EQ3.... i bought crap from there and it is no different from IKEA.

IKEA is cheap, cheap stuff. EQ3 is expensive, cheap stuff.

Revolve is good but we waited an additional 4 month beyond the guaranteed delivery date of 6 months (so 10 months total) to get the wrong furniture. 16 months later got what we ordered and it was awsome.

Surprisingly the best service, delivery etc was a crappy sectional we bought from the basement for $1500 from UNited Furniture Whorehouse and some crap we got from Ashley Furniture.

eb0i
01-10-2009, 08:31 PM
All my stuff I bought from Revolve was luckily in stock. However them not delivering during the weekends was a big pain in the ass to deal with. The quality of their furniture is top notch though. Way better than IKEA and EQ3 in my opinion.

szw
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM
IMO this bed looks really outdated. By outdated I mean it was "modern" a few years ago and the design doesn't age well. FWIW I have a similar style and regret it because of that.

in*10*se
01-11-2009, 12:26 AM
here are the two i looked at when i moved out.
they are both platform beds. platforms beds are eff'n expensive. i ended up settling for the malm... the extra 6 hundred really wasn't worth it.

eq3 - bossa

http://eq3.com/cat-eq3/process/locale/en_US/currency/en_US/page/3090-405-2-nightstand.html

ikea - malm

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S39849855

Mckenzie
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
These are more common beds than you think, usually called platform beds. However, most stores don't put them on the display floor and instead you need to look through their catalogs. Go to a few furniture websites and you'll notice more on there.

Yeah I tried to chase one down at Sears and they said they only have it in the catologue...kinda hard to guage quality when you see it on a web page I guess.

Originally posted by in*10*se
here are the two i looked at when i moved out.
they are both platform beds. platforms beds are eff'n expensive. i ended up settling for the malm... the extra 6 hundred really wasn't worth it.

eq3 - bossa

http://eq3.com/cat-eq3/process/locale/en_US/currency/en_US/page/3090-405-2-nightstand.html

ikea - malm

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S39849855

Yeah that Ikea one I would consider as it is small and reasonably priced.

I guess the only reason I am looking for this style of bed is that my room is small and most bed with headboards and that get to be pretty big once they are setup.

theken
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
do you want to buy my malm from ikea for a better price? or do u want dark

Mckenzie
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
^ I sent you a PM about the bed.

theken
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
never got a pm