PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to go green?

urbannomad
01-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Let's keep it honest.

After all those bloody irritating Suzuki Fridge/lightbulb commercials (sorry to suzuki fans), I became curious as to what people in and around calgary are doing to lessen their carbon imprint?

List what you do to lessen your carbon print:

mine:

Buy those enviro-green grocery bags,
our family has taken to composting, although not at this time of year. :rofl:
we're saving to get retrofits if any. If not, free money to me :)

Also,
Any ideas on what the City could do in macro terms to lessen the entire cities imprint?
I guess mine is charging for parking at train stations like 1$ a day if not, 330 for a yearly pass. It will probably give people the incentive to take transit/carpool it more often...

List 'em up!

Proyecto2000
01-09-2009, 07:25 AM
My family has been recycling and composting for years.:thumbsup:

EM1FTW
01-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I drive a Honda? :dunno:

really though I dont know.

Recycling milk jugs, newspaper, cardboard etc. I suppose.

Lagerstatten.ca
01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Just some simple things:
- Only using lights in rooms being used
- Recycling paper and cans
- Getting rid of our Xterra and sticking with our Mazda 5
- No more CRT monitors: All LCD or LED displays.
- Setting power settings on all computers (ie, turn off display after 5 minutes, hard disks after 30 minutes, standby in an hour, etc).

BrknFngrs
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
Also,
Any ideas on what the City could do in macro terms to lessen the entire cities imprint?
I guess mine is charging for parking at train stations like 1$ a day if not, 330 for a yearly pass. It will probably give people the incentive to take transit/carpool it more often...

List 'em up!

Charging people parking as an incentive?:confused:

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I dont do anything.

Hlaf the people say im doing good.. and half dont. Especially when it comes to recycling. I just eat everything on my plate. Less waste = less garbage.

Who gives a fuck anyways, ill be dead in 60 years.

khtm
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
Also,
How will the city charging for parking at train stations give people incentive to take transit? You can't be serious. The closer transit costs get to driving costs = more drivers. Especially since we arguably have one of the worst transit systems in Canada.

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by khtm

How will the city charging for parking at train stations give people incentive to take transit? You can't be serious. The closer transit costs get to driving costs = more drivers. Especially since we arguably have one of the worst transit systems in Canada.

Agreed. Probably should have built a subway. Not the Five dollar foot long kind either.

ianmcc
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I removed the cat from my car. Take that, Mr. Miyagi!

calgarys_finest
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Nothing at all. In the winter i drive my 1981 pick-up that gets the same gas mileage as a H1 hummer.

Jlude
01-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I bought a couple of those enviromentally friendly grocery bags.

I don't drive to work anymore, I take the bus. Only drive my car on the weekends.

Kritafo
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/green-guide/healthier+home+free/1136052/story.html

Clean Calgary/Calgary Herald will be picking homes for a 60-90 minute visit and will be picking 400 homes to help go green.

Calgary Herald Green Guide always has tips for Calgarians. Here is the 10 New Year's resolutions list for being green.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/green-guide/green+Year+resolutions+consider/1132178/story.html

core_upt
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
We recycle everything we can. Papers, cardboard, newspapers, cans, bottles, milk cartons/jugs, and plastics get taken to Airdrie when we go out there.

We have a stack of grocery bags in the car that we'll re use when shopping or turn down new bags if we can carry everything out.

Try to combine multiple trips in to one when possible.

Compost starts this spring.

Lights off when not used.

Thermostat down when we're out for the day.

Use less water when washing dishes (although I still like long, hot showers - I'll take my Western luxuries!). You can get an aerator for home faucets that can help cut down on the amount of water you use.

Most of our household cleaners are biodegradable and non-toxic.

Cloth napkins instead of paper ones.

High efficiency furnace and dishwasher.

Thermal drapes/cellular shade over windows.

Switching bulbs over to HE ones as they burnout.

Next Steps:
- dual-flush retrofit on toilet
- compost
- push mower
- cycling to work again in spring
- high efficiency washer and dryer
- more locally grown foods/less processed foods

Things I don't really wish to give up:
- driving to work when its cold!
- driving faster than I should
- hot showers
- public transit is not for me

semograd
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Going Green/ Reducing carbon footprint is such a joke. Plant more trees, problem solved, end of story.

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by semograd
Going Green/ Reducing carbon footprint is such a joke. Plant more trees, problem solved, end of story.

Awesome.

New sig. addition.

Eleanor
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc
I removed the cat from my car. Take that, Mr. Miyagi!
That is green, it increases your fuel economy :thumbsup:

:D

Tomaz
01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
To go green, my roomate and I have a bunch of re-usable shopping bags. Have not used them since we got them in june :rolleyes:

I guess that isn't really "green"

Seanith
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM

What an intelligent post. It's a good thing trees grow instantaneously and we don't cut down more than we plant. Or else your master plan wouldn't work.

What I do, although nothing out of the ordinary:
- I have a bunch of those reusable grocery bags
- I recycle everything I can religiously
- I turn off the lights when not in use

- I'd like to get more efficient bulbs when I need to replace the ones i have

3g4u
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Put straight pipes on my harley, took out all Cats on my vehicles, drive the H2 as much as I can, go sleding every weekend, and smoke as many cigarettes as i can then flick them out onto the street.:poosie:

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Seanith

What an intelligent post. It's a good thing trees grow instantaneously and we don't cut down more than we plant.

Um... technically... they do grow instantaneously... maybe not to full size... but they do grow almost right away (once the growth conditions are met, and they sign a pre-nup with the earth stating it wont pay for any kids that arent his if they get a divorce)

P.s (Also if the tree gives a kidney.. and the earth leaves him and cheats on him with other plants.. it will get its kidney back)

dr_jared88
01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

Um... technically... they do grow instantaneously... maybe not to full size... but they do grow almost right away (once the growth conditions are met, and they sign a pre-nup with the earth stating it wont pay for any kids that arent his if they get a divorce)

P.s (Also if the tree gives a kidney.. and the earth leaves him and cheats on him with other plants.. it will get its kidney back)

Please give me a hoot of whatever you're smoking.

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Well they do start growing right away! and as soon as the first leaves and shit start growing.. the TECHNICALLY do consume carbon.

semograd
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Seanith

What an intelligent post. It's a good thing trees grow instantaneously and we don't cut down more than we plant. Or else your master plan wouldn't work.

I like how you do your research before you post arguments. Read about slashing and burning of the Amazonian rain forest before posting anymore dumb shit.

The amazonian rain forest is responsible for cleaning at LEAST 20% of the earths air and some reaserch has put those numbers up to 78%. And its definitely being cut down faster than its being replanted.

It doesn't matter how much carbon we stop producing. If plant life dies carbon cannot be changed back into oxygen then we die.

End of story.

bourge73
01-09-2009, 11:02 AM
not using condoms

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
not using condoms

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 11:07 AM

I like how you do your research before you post arguments. Read about slashing and burning of the Amazonian rain forest before posting anymore dumb shit.

The amazonian rain forest is responsible for cleaning at LEAST 20% of the earths air and some reaserch has put those numbers up to 78%. And its definitely being cut down faster than its being replanted.

It doesn't matter how much carbon we stop producing. If plant life dies carbon cannot be changed back into oxygen then we die.

End of story.

I think he was being sarcastic man...

adam c
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
considering how fucking cold it is in calgary this year, global warming is a crock and going green isn't going to help anything

semograd
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

I think he was being sarcastic man...

meh, either way the real answer for combating Global warming is countering it with a nuclear winter.

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM

meh, either way the real answer for combating Global warming is countering it with a nuclear winter.

That and a lot of twinkies.

rage2
01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Recycling... all it does it make you feel better about yourself. ;)

I rented a Prius in a city where nobody drives. That made me feel better too lol.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I love that show, but man did I hate that episode. I still recycle, though, haha!

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM

I rented a Prius in a city where nobody drives. That made me feel better too lol.

Thats exactly why I dont recycle.

Destinova403
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
lol good vid rage... i kinda suspected it was a waste of time though.

semograd
01-09-2009, 12:36 PM
The vid makes sense assuming you live in a huge country with enough space to just dump shit wherever you want.

However lets assume you live in a densely populated country and the cost to recycle is in fact less than the cost to transport your trash to a country that will take it and then pay for them to take it.

That's when recycling makes sense to me.

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
In fucking china maybe. and do they recycle? (seriously do they? I dont know)

rage2
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
The vid makes sense assuming you live in a huge country with enough space to just dump shit wherever you want.

However lets assume you live in a densely populated country and the cost to recycle is in fact less than the cost to transport your trash to a country that will take it and then pay for them to take it.

That's when recycling makes sense to me.
So then why are we recycling in North America?

btw if you haven't heard the news, recycling is getting hit hard by the economy. Recyclers sell the recycled materials back to manufacturers, and now they can't because there's no need. So some places are now charging you to recycle. And that material gets sent to landfills because nobody needs it. Pretty humourous.

method
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
bombing natural gas wells

... whoops.

Also, penn and teller's video should be titled "recycling is bullshit if you're a card carrying libertarian"...

atgilchrist
01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
^^:eek: :rofl:

QuasarCav
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM

btw if you haven't heard the news, recycling is getting hit hard by the economy. Recyclers sell the recycled materials back to manufacturers, and now they can't because there's no need. So some places are now charging you to recycle. And that material gets sent to landfills because nobody needs it. Pretty humourous.

The price of a bale of recycled paper has dropped 60% or more in some cases. China is not buying.

2jzgte
01-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I love my dad and everything but his way of going green is adding 5 light saving energy light bulbs and plugging them all in a small bathroom, then turning the lights on when you just woken up, which feels like somebody just put a burnt match on your eyeballs.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of energy saving DAD!

rumeo
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
i got my house installed with low-flow toilets, and replaced all the light bulbs with those new coiled ones

Canmorite
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting video. Never saw that side of it.

I would like to see the effects of landfills after they've been covered up and turned in green spaces. Just how much sepage or problems arise if any after a longer period of time.

Toms-SC
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM

This really deserves its own thread.

Hakkola
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
THanks rage, never recycled anything but cans and bottles, now I'll only recycle cans.

Video really does deserve its own thread.

Vagabond142
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
What am I doing to go green?

Umm... farting less? :dunno:

szw
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by 2jzgte
I love my dad and everything but his way of going green is adding 5 light saving energy light bulbs and plugging them all in a small bathroom, then turning the lights on when you just woken up, which feels like somebody just put a burnt match on your eyeballs.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of energy saving DAD!

How do you figure that?

I'm working on improving the air compressor system at work to reduce energy usage.

adam c
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
didn't you guys see this show?
http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/globalshows/16x9/index.html
saying that those super cool light bulbs that save us money are super duper bad for us

fucking idiots on that show:banghead:

Vagabond142
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
The reason I use those "energy saving flourescent bulbs" is, quite simply: they last longer, hence I don't need to buy them as often :P

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
The reason I use those "energy saving flourescent bulbs" is, quite simply: they last longer, hence I don't need to buy them as often :P

Anything thats lazy... and saves energy.. would work for me.

But im too lazy to even buy them.. so... until I run out of the normal ones..... :thumbsdow

The_Rural_Juror
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I bought a green Renault on advice from Mr Clarkson. :thumbsup:

szw
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/business/08recycle.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=recycled%20goods&st=cse&scp=1

A NYT article on what Rage mentioned regarding recyling being hit hard by the economy.

KRyn
01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Fuck all of you that are going green, you are the reason that the price of a barrel of crude is so damn low! By spending more on utilties you are also helping to stimulate the economy!

:poosie: :rofl:

TKRIS
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

I have all 6 seasons of Bullshit on DVD. :D

Also worth watching on the subject is the "Being Green" episode from season 6.

But my favorite to date is the "Dolphin" episode. I laughed my ass off, until the fact that these people actually do exist set in, then I became horribly depressed...

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Fuck all of you that are going green, you are the reason that the price of a barrel of crude is so damn low! By spending more on utilties you are also helping to stimulate the economy!

:poosie: :rofl:

Yeah you assholes! When gas is high I get paid!

core_upt
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I never used to care, then I met the Green Team:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1420df1f/green-team-from-will-ferrell-adam-ghost-panther-mckay-and-john-c-reilly

torob
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Didnt Penn & Teller prove or try to prove that recycling does nothing at all and possibly create more problems than it fixes and its all for money?

Edit: guess you already covered that.

semograd
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Because of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/RussianRainbowGathering_4Aug2005.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

I have all 6 seasons of Bullshit on DVD. :D

Also worth watching on the subject is the "Being Green" episode from season 6.

But my favorite to date is the "Dolphin" episode. I laughed my ass off, until the fact that these people actually do exist set in, then I became horribly depressed...

Such a great show, my personal fave is the one about genetically modified food, possibly from Season 2 IIRC.

bourge73
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Instead of Condoms use Safeway bags, serves a double purpose.

sexualbanana
01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I masturbate more instead of driving to 3rd Ave. :bigpimp:

rage2
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by szw
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/business/08recycle.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=recycled%20goods&st=cse&scp=1

A NYT article on what Rage mentioned regarding recyling being hit hard by the economy.

Thx. A good quote...

The recycling slump has even provoked a protest of sorts. At Ruthlawn Elementary School in South Charleston, W.V., second-graders who began recycling at the school in September were told that the program might be discontinued. They chose to forgo recess and instead use the time to write letters to the governor and mayor, imploring them to keep recycling, Rachel Fisk, their teacher, said.
Fuck do we ever brainwash kids at a young age nowadays!

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Considerate to the environment...

But what about "stimulating" the economy?

Especially when they need a bailout?

DonJuan
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I fart only at times when it is funny... It's funny to me alot of the time.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/ani_cartman-fart.gif

I also plan on buying a brand new Esclade hybrid every year and offroading it in national parks, and sending the old one to the junkyard to be recycled.

Oh and I'll probably take a vacation to Maritime Canada to club some seals.

Eleanor
01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
For all those who switched to fluorescent light bulbs, did you see your heating bills go up? :D

Zephyr
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I eat more steaks because cows produce green house gases, thus we need to kill and eat more.

BigShow
01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Do they still hang out there?

sexualbanana
01-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

Do they still hang out there?

I wouldn't know. I haven't been there in awhile because of my desire to reduce my carbon footprint.

ianmcc
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
I eat more steaks because cows produce green house gases, thus we need to kill and eat more.
Now that's a cause I can support. I <3 dead cows!!!