PDA

View Full Version : Remote Desktop Connection : XP-->Vista

gran turismo
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I cannot for the life of me, get my XP machine to connect via remote desktop to my Vista machine. Previously I had no problems connecting from XP to XP.

Can someone outline what needs to be done in Vista to accept the connection?

Zero102
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
"Accept remote connections" turned on?
User you are logging in as is a member of the administrators group?
Windows firewall has port 3389 open / is off altogether?

Need to know how far you are getting and if you are getting any errors, it would help to pin down where it is going wrong.

Mibz
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Last I checked (Which admittedly was before Vista SP1) you couldn't do RDC between XP and Vista.

modded46
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Whoever told you that is on drugs..

RDC is RDC doesn't matter unless you have different versions, and even then it will still connect if configured right.

As previous person stated.. Make sure the Windows firewall is either turned off or port 3389 is open..

Also, on the Vista machine make sure you have checked off Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop... this is under System Properties and the Remote tab.

And try connecting via IP address not system name.

cityhunter2501
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
so you are planning to RDC into your vista machine from an XP machine right?

on the vista machine go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings
on Remote tab in the system properties, allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop

adam c
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
i have RDC open between xp and vista all the time, have 2 open right now for work

gran turismo
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I'll double check all suggestions so far. Thank BTW. I've gone over these before but will check again. I can't check until I go home. I always connect via ip and not system name.

One question I have which I forgot since I last used RDC is, what's the username when you attempt to connect? Isn't it something like admin or user and not your actual logon ID?

Currently, the error message I get when trying to connect is:

---------------------------
Remote Desktop Disconnected
This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.
OK Help

I know this doesn't help much since any of the previous suggestions could cause this error.

adam c
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
you connect with an account that has administrative rights on the remote computer

rage2
01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by gran turismo
Remote Desktop Disconnected

That sounds like the computer is accepting the connection, then dropping it. Which means cityhunter is right...

Originally posted by cityhunter2501
on the vista machine go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings
on Remote tab in the system properties, allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop

Mibz
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by modded46
Whoever told you that is on drugs..

RDC is RDC doesn't matter unless you have different versions, and even then it will still connect if configured right. Well then, I just took it as fact and started using VNC. This is good to know, thanks.

rage2
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
hehe I run Win2k still (it's fast!) and RDP into Vista, 2007, every OS fine :).

Doozer
01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Does Vista have "Pro" and "Home" versions like XP does? If Vista is like XP, you need to be using the Pro version to accept RDP connections.

You can install the RDP tool on XP Home to connect out to another machine, but XP Home can't accept incoming RDP requests. Maybe Vista is like this as well....
:dunno:

adam c
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
yes vista has 4 versions
Home Basic, Home Premium
Business and Ultimate

soupey
01-09-2009, 04:28 PM
if all else fails

www.logmein.com

ipeefreely
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by adam c
yes vista has 4 versions
Home Basic, Home Premium
Business and Ultimate

Vista-Home Basic/Premium --- No Remote Desktop with out hack

Vista-Business and Ultimate --- Included (Like XP Pro!)

Spawn
01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
If you do have Business/Ultimate in the Remote Desktop settings select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (Less Secure)"
Remote Desktop 6 for XP does not support NLA yet without doing some registry hacking

gran turismo
01-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by soupey
if all else fails

www.logmein.com

Well, it appears all else has failed. I've tried "logmein" and so far, it kicks ass. I love it. I don't have to set-up a static ip on the remote, or set peer-guardian to allow the connecting pc access. "Logmein" is really easy to use and I recommend it to anyone wanting to connect remotely.

FreakinPrince
01-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by gran turismo

Well, it appears all else has failed. I've tried "logmein" and so far, it kicks ass. I love it. I don't have to set-up a static ip on the remote, or set peer-guardian to allow the connecting pc access. "Logmein" is really easy to use and I recommend it to anyone wanting to connect remotely.

been using it for years.....its a great apps and can connect to it from anywhere that has internet connection

logmein.com FTW!!!!