PDA

View Full Version : Autostart install Dodge Ram help

nitrous
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi guys this is my first post on here and is a long shot....

Had a Autostart remote starter installed and ever since I got it back the cargo light does not come on when the doors are opened. Now I checked the dial on dash and it is in the correct position. It does work manually when I switch it on with the dial but I would like it to work like it used to when I open the doors.
The installer has no idea and denies that he did anything. Does anyone even have a wiring diargram that I could try to locate the cargo light wire and maybe he cut something ??
For a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500

If anyone out there has had this problem please let me know the fix

Thanks guys !!

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Do you have a toggle switch for your light... try toggling it....

nitrous
01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
no toggle switch as stated there is a dial by the headlight switch to manually turn it on. this works but I would like it to come on when my doors are opened like before.

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Could be a bad install. Does the installer know that the car is a 2004.5? and he would have wired to that light (more like the pin that triggers it). 99% sure.

01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
the light switch and circuit in that vehicle are an MUX system which means one wire does differant things depending on the resistance applied to it.

Chances are, the aftermarket installation uses the resistance to trigger the parklights, but while doing this the cargo light is probably using a similar resistence which is causing it to just not turn on since the parklights will be a stronger signal and override the cargo light.

Just a thought, not 100% sure though.

you can try disconnecting the aftermarket parklight output and see what happens, chances are it will work though.

nitrous
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
not sure what all this means as I am no expert in this field. What I do know is that when I use the factory keyfob to unlock the doors the rear cargo light comes on still and when I use the new autostart keyfob the cargo light does not come on.....

Tarrantula
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Well.... that is an interesting development... Maybe thats an option the installer would have to put in.

01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
As i had said above, it is to do with the resistence, as an installer myself, i wouldnt fuck with figuring out random resistences to trigger a small cargo light. it can cause some issues. Installers generally use the information they are given on tech sheets, i have never seen a tech sheet with a cargo light on it.

if it is really that big of deal, just use your factory remote.

*not to sound like a dick, but aftermarket autostarts arent 100% integrated (usually they are pretty good, 95-99%), thats how they are. for 100% integration it has to be designed by dodge for dodge.

nitrous
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
well I don't want to carry two remotes......all I want is for my rear cargo light to come on again when I open the doors like it did prior to the install. The installer says he did nothing to interfere with the operation of the cargo light.
Another thing this guy did was he hookep up the alarm trigger (not sure if that is the correct term) to the dome light and not the individual door pins. So when the dome light goes on the alarm triggers.....I have heard this is the lazy and incorrect way of installing. would that have any effect ?

Originally posted by 410440
As i had said above, it is to do with the resistence, as an installer myself, i wouldnt fuck with figuring out random resistences to trigger a small cargo light. it can cause some issues. Installers generally use the information they are given on tech sheets, i have never seen a tech sheet with a cargo light on it.

if it is really that big of deal, just use your factory remote.

*not to sound like a dick, but aftermarket autostarts arent 100% integrated, thats how they are. for 100% integration it has to be designed by dodge for dodge.

schmooot
01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
your year is a tricky one and if he didn't do it right there is a good chance he is to blame

He probably tied into the domelight supervision which is in the drivers A-pillar. The problem here is it requires a relay to not screw up the factory domelight. More details can be seen here

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=18149&MakeID=16

or he may have tied into your door triggers without diode isolating them. Does your light on the dash come on when you open the door (does teh truck know when the doors are open and just isn't turning on the interior lamps)?

dooman24
01-10-2009, 11:31 AM
just a little thought..
did you check the bulb?

captain134
01-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by dooman24
just a little thought..
did you check the bulb?

the light still comes on by the switch just not when he unlocks the door.

motto_adrenelin
01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
the only thing i can think of is that the door triggers you need to diode isolate them so if he was lazy then he could have done dome light supervision. But that wouldn't make much sense on just a starter you dont need door triggers unles its a standard and the bypass module does your doors normally

:dunno:

Strugari
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Is this problem only while the vehicle is running?

On most vehicles, domelight supervision will not work when the vehicle is running, and the doors are unlocked.

Check the vehicle by starting it with the key, and opening the door. Does the cargo light come on?

You can always try disconnecting the remote starter, and see if the light works normally.

If all returns to normal find out where the installer tied in to the parking lights. As in an earlier post these trucks are multiplex wiring for the lights.
If the installer tied in at the switch, the proper method is to cut the parklight wire with a relay, and send the resistance to the truck for the lights.
This then eliminates being able to use any other functions available on that wire.

If this is the case he can install the parklights using thepositive output in the drivers kick. It is white/light grey.
This may only give you the left side running lights. If you want both the right side running lights are in the pass kick and it is white/yellow.

nitrous
01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes I beleive the door open light comes on the dash....my domelight works fine I am talkig about the outside cargo light

Originally posted by schmooot
your year is a tricky one and if he didn't do it right there is a good chance he is to blame

He probably tied into the domelight supervision which is in the drivers A-pillar. The problem here is it requires a relay to not screw up the factory domelight. More details can be seen here

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=18149&MakeID=16

or he may have tied into your door triggers without diode isolating them. Does your light on the dash come on when you open the door (does teh truck know when the doors are open and just isn't turning on the interior lamps)?

nitrous
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
No this happens all the time......cargo light will not come on at all with vehicle running or not.

Originally posted by Strugari
Is this problem only while the vehicle is running?

On most vehicles, domelight supervision will not work when the vehicle is running, and the doors are unlocked.

Check the vehicle by starting it with the key, and opening the door. Does the cargo light come on?

You can always try disconnecting the remote starter, and see if the light works normally.

If all returns to normal find out where the installer tied in to the parking lights. As in an earlier post these trucks are multiplex wiring for the lights.
If the installer tied in at the switch, the proper method is to cut the parklight wire with a relay, and send the resistance to the truck for the lights.
This then eliminates being able to use any other functions available on that wire.

If this is the case he can install the parklights using thepositive output in the drivers kick. It is white/light grey.
This may only give you the left side running lights. If you want both the right side running lights are in the pass kick and it is white/yellow.

nitrous
01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I beleive he installed it on dome supervision, is this not the correct way ?
I had contact Autostart and expained another problem and they told me the installer prob hooked up to dome supervision.......
IS this bad ? should I take it back to him?

Strugari
01-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Disconnect the remote starter and see if the cargo light works.
If it does then that tells you the problem is with the remote start.
I am thinking it has to do with the parklights. If a relay was not used, autostarts sometimes have a parasitic ground reference on the parklight wire, and this can cause an issue, especially with multiplex wiring.