PDA

View Full Version : Build me a new computer

copynpaste
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.memoryexpress.com/SystemConfig/Default.aspx

Lowest price possible
More than adequate gig

Will be for 14yr old girl who will be using it for only web, email and office apps. No gaming. She does want a good size HD at least since she will be downloading music and a dvdrw. And prefers the mini sized desktops to save space, but I heard theyre not recommended due to not as good air flow as the reg size ones.

adam c
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
dell.ca

copynpaste
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by adam c
dell.ca

whats the pros from dell over M.E.? cheap im guessing :confused: ill check it out.

adam c
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
you can get a new computer, bare basics for 279

copynpaste
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
you can get a new computer, bare basics for 279

Ya playing around with the system config now, i want to avoid the celerons though.

adam c
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
well it's only 10 more for a dual core pentium

Lagerstatten.ca
01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm finding more and more nowadays that I don't require the fastest specs for every component.

Those new netbooks are pretty enticing now and a majority of users are either:

-surfing the web
-using office applications
-listening to music
-watching videos

The Dell Mini 9 (and 12 and just announced 10) are cheap, have more than enough space to store a couple hours of music (who really listens to more than a couple of albums at a time?).

Plus they're cheap...and portable.

nobb
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
What's wrong with the dual core E1200 celeron? Isnt it more than enough for basic use?

I just bought the bare $279 Dell Vostro 220 system for my sister. But the dvdrw drive will be a $40 upgrade. I dont think you can build even a comparable system from memoryexpress for less.

adam c
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
celeron is junk, it's the lowest processor you can get
for 10 bucks more just purchase the dual core upgrade

but whatever you do, don't order on the phone, i'm pulling my hair out with the corporate department since nobody seems to have a grasp of the english language there

copynpaste
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
I'm finding more and more nowadays that I don't require the fastest specs for every component.

Those new netbooks are pretty enticing now and a majority of users are either:

-surfing the web
-using office applications
-listening to music
-watching videos

The Dell Mini 9 (and 12 and just announced 10) are cheap, have more than enough space to store a couple hours of music (who really listens to more than a couple of albums at a time?).

Plus they're cheap...and portable.

I agree on the netbooks - Im even considering getting one for myself and no longer bringing my laptop when on the go.

copynpaste
01-09-2009, 01:55 PM
well it's only 10 more for a dual core pentium

can you send me a link? cause the one im on says its $40 more for dual core.:confused:

adam c
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cabsdt1&l=en&OC=DT_V220S_F1_E

copynpaste
01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
thx

Nice never even heard of the vostro line before, I just checked out the home section since i never thought the small biz section would have a cheaper desktop solution.

adam c
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
i'm a corporate client so that's why i guess

DarkDream
01-11-2009, 04:16 AM
dell is definitely the way to go.

M.E. is only good for when you are looking to get a higher performance computer... or you need a specific hardware...

From what you have said, dell will be your cheapest option... Like people said, you can get a basic computer which will do more then what you are asking, for $279...

For HD space, Its super easy to add on, and if you don't want to crack open your box, there are always external drives, and they are now pretty cheap as well...

The thing is with small computers, some of the parts are proprietary, like the motherboard. Of course there are some PC cases which are smaller than the standard size which use the micro-atx size boards but if your gonna go small, than go small.... plus building one of these super small computers would be more expensive then just getting one from dell... Unless like i said before, there is a specific hardware that you want... excluding HD space and RAM....

old&slow
01-11-2009, 06:14 AM
netbook

CaptainReboot
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I bought the Vostro 220 for my parents. I did upgrade the processor, DVD drive, card reader, and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Came out to about $400.

A case alone can cost around $100.

You have to go to small business site to see the Vostro line, not the home/home office.

Brendan_4g63
02-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Get her a mac mini
Way easier to use, less chance of viruses malware, ect.. & OS related problems.
http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTE3MDI

posting a little late, if you havent got anything yet.