PDA

View Full Version : $75 extra for keyless install w starter install

sparko69
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Visions charges $75 extra to install the keyless entry option on top of the starter install. My buddy says the keyless entry install is just two wires and he can easily do it after the main install and will only cost me a beer and some pizza.
I currently have working keyless entry with an alpine alarm that will be removed when the starter is installed.
Any thoughts? Is it as easy as he says.

TomcoPDR
01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
So you're trusting Beyond over your buddy.

kylejw
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
'Two wires' can mean a lot of work... I mean my alarm was like 18 wires, but about one third of them were in ridiculously hard to reach places.

Point is that $75 may be a little excessive (and probably is, since they likely will already have most panels off), or it may not. The real kicker in your case is that if you already have an aftermarket alarm, most wires are already hooked up and it's gonna be cake for Visions to swap them over to the new alarm.

chosen-juan
01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Meh, 75 more bucks. At least you know they will cover the work and if something should go wrong you can always just take it back.

em2ab
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by chosen-juan
Meh, 75 more bucks. At least you know they will cover the work and if something should go wrong you can always just take it back.

Maybe. And until they go out of business like everyone else. And don't remove your factory alarm, might bring more trouble than you want. It doesn't hurt to leave it there.

Cooked Rice
01-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Quite the "buddy" hey? Mine as well get visions to do it for you while they got everything apart. If your so-call buddy can't do the actual starter to begin with, i wouldn't trust him to do the lock hook up. And look for a new "buddy" that won't charge you beer and pizza for a "simple two wire install".

silvercivicsir
01-10-2009, 01:25 AM
what car of car is it?

schmooot
01-10-2009, 10:43 AM
some cars it is just two wires...some require a special bypass unit...if you tell me what your car is I can tell you if it is easy or not

sparko69
01-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey guys.
It's an autostart 2-way GS2260TW-FM going into a 97 GMC Jimmy 4x4 standard transmission.
Thanks for all the replys.

dawson13
01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
shouldnt be too hard its not reverse polarity or anything but im with cooked rice if your friend cant/wont do the whole starter why would you let him screw around with the door locks??

just a question.........

silvercivicsir
01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
You should tell your buddy it might be a little harder then he thinks. Autostarts only do negative locks. And I am pretty sure the jimmy is positive locks so he either needs to build a relay pack or get a gender bender

silvercivicsir
01-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Also you sure you want an autostart for you manual tranny? The compustar units are a lot nice to put into ready mode then the autoatarts.

sparko69
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
OK I'll go with the pro install. The visions guy can worry about the gender bender, whatever that is.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Now you've lost me on the "ready mode" comment.
The shop says autostart works fine on manual trans. Not true?

Strugari
01-11-2009, 12:15 PM
"Ready mode"

First Autostart:
1. Car in neutral, ebrake off, all dors closed.
2. Set e-brake.
3. Make sure foot is off brake pedal.
4. Push lock button on Autostart, wait foir lights to flash 5 times and remain on.
5. Remove key, (car should stay running.
6. Exit the vehicle and close the door.
7. Push lock button and car will lock, and shut down.

Car is now ready:thumbsup:

Second = Compustar:

1. Set parking brake (foot off pedals)
2. Remove key (Car stays running)
3. Exit vehicle and close the doors.
4. Car will shut down and lock

Car is now ready:clap:

as silvercivicsir says, compustar is more user friendly than Autostart for manual transmissions.

BokCh0y
01-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Are you sure you went to Visions and not Quinn Security....only place i've ever been to where they charge for every dang thing is Quinn.

cornelius85
01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Just one thing to add with compustar and autostart as I have had both. The one thing that I didn't like with compustar is that if you wanted to go in your car and keep it armed you had to get in the car, put the key in, and step on the brake again. The autostart always stayed armed. That is the one thing I wish the compustar did. I still prefer compustar though.