PDA

View Full Version : is a d15b7 1994 honda civic dx worth turbo charging

ak69
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
i dunno if its a dumb question or not but is a 1994 honda civic dx hatchback worth turbo charging?
it has about 200ks on it and the engine is a 1.5L non vtec d15b7 102 bhp
so is it worth or its a complete waste of money?

kerry
01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Waste of money.

ak69
01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
IS its because of the small engine?

4lti7ude
01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Non Vtec kinda sucks.
200 xxx is kinda alot im thinking.
Why not just throw in a new engine and then turbo that?

ak69
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
that was what i was thinking too
how much would it be to get an engine installed tho

SNAATCH
01-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ak69
that was what i was thinking too
how much would it be to get an engine installed tho

JDM Source should be able to swap you in a low km replacement motor for around $1000 all said and done. You can still make good power without having a Vtec motor. As long as you have a good turbo setup and more importantly a good tune, it can be a quick little car. Make sure you replace your head gasket and upgrade your head studs before you boost it. Lots of info can be found on the net about what you want to do, so just search around.

SilverBoost
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Before throwing ANY money out there or committing to it, do as much research as humanly possible on turbo set ups and the specific engine you want to boost once you deicide that. Take your time. There's no such thing as a cheap reliable turbo kit that you bolt up and drive the guts out of. There will always be small issues and little gremlins and you should have a budget in mind before you start and then be realistic about what you can continue to throw at it. I've seen a lot of half done projects come to an indefinite halt because of a lack of planning and funds.

As was mentioned though if the car is in good shape, look at a newer engine. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Good luck.

Datsun-Fever
01-12-2009, 07:06 AM
A D16z6 can make an absolute shitload of power for its size, if you want to research try www.pgmfi.org, turbod16.com and d-series.org

Dseries engines kick ass because you can make them very fast for cheap... Vitaras and FJ rods are cheap as hell and good for 400+ hp

Mr_ET
01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by SNAATCH

JDM Source should be able to swap you in a low km replacement motor for around $1000 all said and done. You can still make good power without having a Vtec motor. As long as you have a good turbo setup and more importantly a good tune, it can be a quick little car. Make sure you replace your head gasket and upgrade your head studs before you boost it. Lots of info can be found on the net about what you want to do, so just search around.

the budget you are talking about here would be a straight replacement with probably unknown kms on the engine.

If he wants a d16z6 or a d16y8 that number would probably be closer to $1500.

If he wants a twin cam engine he would be looking for at least 3k swapped and then he would probably need another 3500-4k for a good quality turbo setup.

People need to understand that unless they know quite a bit about turbo kits before they get started, they can do the work themselves and they have a bunch of contacts that can save them some money, making a stock car fast is quite expensive.

I say do a compression test on your motor and if it's in good shape and not puffing oil build a turbo kit yourself and run a fairly low boost setup and you should be happy for a while.

89s1
01-12-2009, 07:29 AM
The weak spot in the d15b7 is the rods.

A d16 has more aftermarket availability for rods, but they are out there.