PDA

View Full Version : BMW Bluetooth

rumeo
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey guys,

Recently got an iphone and I'm looking to connect it to my BMW (2001 X5). I've tried google and whatever directions google and my manual gave me I couldn't duplicate. If any of you guys have done this/ know how to do this, could you please help me out?

Also,

The Bimmer also has the ability to connect to my garage door opener and be able to open it from just the car itself, help with his as well please.

Thanks

BokCh0y
01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Does your X5 have the BT module? I know the steering wheel will have the button for connection, but that doen't mean you have the module. It's an add-on option at purhcase.

Garage Door programming for the homelink system:

press and hold the two outside buttons until the red light flashes rapidly - this will clear all previous codes, and release when complete.

hold the garage door opener and button 2 on your home link and press at the same time. hold until the button flashes. this should complete programming.

if your garage door opener has roaming codes, then it's more work and there's more steps.

i don't have my manually on me, so i can't confirm 100% but the above is how i programmed mine.

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I've heard the iphones dont work well with in car bluetooth but that I havent personally confirmed that.

scat19
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
1) You have to have the bluetooh module for your car.

2) Beamer = Bike, Bimmer = Car

rumeo
01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by scat19
1) You have to have the bluetooh module for your car.

2) Beamer = Bike, Bimmer = Car

1) How do I know if I have the module or not? (Car was bought used)

2) Fixed

.civictyper.
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
call the dealership, ask for parts, give them your vin.

Done.

scat19
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Some information for you:

BMW Universal Bluetooth™ Hands-Free Phone System (ULF)

The BMW ULF Hands Free System features the latest in telephone technology with integrated Bluetooth™ for wireless communication between the vehicle and cellular phone. This new system provides customers with a truly wireless hands-free phone experience, allowing customers to even dial their Bluetooth™ compatible phone by an advanced voice recognition system.

But what is Bluetooth™ and how does it actually work?

Simply stated Bluetooth™ technology is a wireless language that allows two compatible devices to communicate with each other. Similar to the way a television remote uses infa-red to communicate with a television, Bluetooth™ used radio waves rather then infa-red. However, the unique feature of Bluetooth™ is that the devices do not have to be pointed directly at each other as the signals are omnidirectional.

Bluetooth™ was developed to transmit both voice and data and has a bandwidth of about 1mb/sec. Bluetooth™ only requires that the devices be within 10 meters (32.ft) of each other to communicate. For an in-depth look at how Bluetooth™ technology works please visit: HowStuffWorks: Bluetooth™

What is the BMW Universal Bluetooth™ Hands-Free System?

With the BMW Hands-Free System a Bluetooth™ compatible phone communicates with the vehicle without being "docked" in a special cradle or plugged into a special connector. Once the vehicle is started the hands-free system begins communicating with the vehicle and any calls placed or received will be routed through the car. This is accomplished by a special module that is installed into the vehicle along with a paring button and hands-free microphone.

When a call is received the phone will signal the car that there is an incoming call. If the audio system is on, the system will mute the radio or CD. The phone will ring through the vehicle speakers. The call can be answered via the phone button on the steering wheel, or the phone icon on the dashboard (X5, 5 Series or 3 Series with Nav), or the pairing button. The caller’s voice will be transmitted through the BMW audio system and their voice will be transmitted via the microphone in the vehicle headliner.

Placing a call is just as simple. Bluetooth™ allows the customer to scroll through their cellular phone book. The phone numbers are displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle. They simply select a number to dial. Remember this is all happening without a physical connection to the phone. The BMW Universal Hands-Free System is doing all of this through Bluetooth™.

A second method of dialing can be performed by using the built in voice recognition system. Using this system the customer can dial a number by simply speaking the phone number or using a voice tag that they have programmed such as "home", "work" or "Bob’s cell phone". Calls can also be transferred in and out of the car so phone calls are only interrupted for a brief period while the system switches the call to the vehicle (getting into the vehicle) or their personal cell phone (leaving the vehicle).

Selling Points:

Safety - Safe wireless hands free communication through a completely integrated and voice activated system.
Flexibility – The BMW ULF system can be paired with up to 4 different phones. This means that if a vehicle is used by up to 4 different people they can each use their personal phone with the system. (Only one phone can be used on the system at one time)
Choice – Customer can buy a phone directly from their wireless carrier with the features and calling plans they require. (phone must be equipped with the Bluetooth feature)
Convenience – Make and receive phone calls without having to plug the phone into a special connector or cradle. Keep the phone with you and never forget the phone in car again.
Cutting Edge – Experience the latest in wireless technology and hands free safety.

1) What is your engine size? Trim level? Do you know which packagaes you have? You can call parts at a dealer and give them your VIN, it will tell them everything your car came with from factory. This is pointless for me (i have done so many dealer upgrades myself) for example. Cars come from germany and so many items are PRE-wired, so dealers can pop things in them to complete a certain trim level for example.

2) Production date (NOT YEAR DATE) Look in your door jamb. For example my car is a 2000 323i, but was made 07/99.

3) Do you have BMW ASSIST ? (Think OnStar for GM vehicles.) If you answered yes, you have to choose which you want. Cannot have both.

for the retrofit please see

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/27044

Hope that helps :)

rumeo
01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, it's my dad whos currently driving it so ill pass on the info to him