PDA

View Full Version : Atheist bus ads in Britain

b_t
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
I support this campaign 100%
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4141765/Atheist-buses-denying-Gods-existence-take-to-streets.html

cole's - They fundraised to try and put adverts on a couple buses. Richard Dawkins got wind of it and they quickly raised about $275,000 so now 800 buses are going to be driving around with atheist ads on them.

BigMass
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
That entire campaign will change the minds of ….. oh…. Nobody. The religious vs anti-religious bickering is such a joke lately.

Chris101
01-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I love it.

So much.

kertejud2
01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
As an agnostic I fully support this to be taken up worldwide. At the very least its something people of all religions can unite against.

I prefer the Saffran approach door-knocking on Mormon's houses about atheism, but this all works as well.

Canmorite
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
The word 'probably' is leaning more agnostic then athiest.

Antonito
01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h7Q1RMMRSMUy2ncYzKZzo3R2eHDg

And already some Christians are freaking out.

The best possible outcome is that the courts decide the law about evidence in advertisements bites both ways, and Christian ads are banned forever :poosie:

Canmorite
01-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Ah fuck, the title of that article...

Christians demand proof for atheist ad claims in Britain

:rofl:

Xtrema
If this sign is in US, you will find a bunch of criminals using it as defense in court. The are just living "life".

403Gemini
:facepalm:

Why is there even a need to print ads about anything religious? (I don't care what anybody says , Atheism = religion of science and the "word of atheism" is becoming more overwhelming than those dastardly mormons!)

403Gemini
01-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

The best possible outcome is that the courts decide the law about evidence in advertisements bites both ways, and Christian ads are banned forever :poosie:

I think all and any ads for religion should be banned. Religion and beliefs are different from EACH person. Put 2 Catholics in a room and I am willing to bet their views on Catholicism is completely different from each others.

kertejud2
01-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

The quotes from that link alone are worth the money for the advertisments, religious nuts asking for proof, brilliant!

Let's just put Russell's Teapot on the stove and we can all have a rational discussion about this.

Xtrema
01-12-2009, 12:39 AM
http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Conventional_Vs_Religous.jpg

kertejud2
01-12-2009, 12:52 AM
http://www.acorscadden.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/science_vs_faith.jpg

st184
01-12-2009, 02:19 AM
-.-; Ignorance exists on both sides of the debate. There is no reason to act condescendingly against an entire group of people just because there are a few retards. Kertejud2, I know where your coming from and I agree with you but religious=uneducated ignorant ass hat is a simplistic way of look at it I think.

Rocky
01-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm Christian, but I don't really have a problem with the ad. I see plenty of pro-religious advertisements on a daily basis, so why shouldn't Athiests be able to do so as well? You just have to be respectful of other people's beliefs.

Mckenzie
01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I think its fair game as religious groups can air their view points whenever they want.

Part of Dawkins' purpose of his book The God Delusion (which I recommend for people to read) was to give athiests a kind of support mechanism for their belief as there is quite a negative connotation and public perception of the athiest label. I think that a campaign like this may send a message to people questioning their belief in God or people who are athiest that it is OK for them to speak about it and stand up for themselves and not be closet non-believers.

Eleanor
01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
I see plenty of pro-religious advertisements on a daily basis
Really?

I'm trying to think of seeing a pro-religion ad that I've seen other than on a Church's sign and I can't think of one :dunno:

Did the buses in Britain have pro-religion ads before?

Tomaz
01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Really?

I'm trying to think of seeing a pro-religion ad that I've seen other than on a Church's sign and I can't think of one :dunno:

Don't watch television? lol

There are many times where advertizing takes place. And yes, in Britain there are adverts everywhere. Abaout as common as McDonalds commercials.

Super_Geo
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Part of Dawkins' purpose of his book The God Delusion (which I recommend for people to read) was to give athiests a kind of support mechanism for their belief as there is quite a negative connotation and public perception of the athiest label. I think that a campaign like this may send a message to people questioning their belief in God or people who are athiest that it is OK for them to speak about it and stand up for themselves and not be closet non-believers.

This applies a lot more in the US (especially the further south you go) than it would here. People in the US are apeshit about religion...

And it's no coincidence that as you head further south the people have less years of education and are more fanatical about their faith.

Mckenzie
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
^The most common and controversial adversitements I have seen are the anti-abortion ads...the US is literred with them.

Door to door marketing from the Mormon Church also comes to mind.

This applies a lot more in the US (especially the further south you go) than it would here. People in the US are apeshit about religion...

Yeah agreed. Dawkins got into this in his book about the correlation between education and level of religious belief (quoting results from something like 44 surveys done on the subject over the years).

However, I guess I am trying to say its viewed upon as a dirty word in some respects. I mean if you are standing around in a group of diverse people and someone says they are Muslim, Jew, Christian, Buddhist, etc., no one really bats and eye. But when have you ever heard someone say I am athiest? I have never heard that and am not saying that is cannot happen, but I envision an akward / uncomfortable moment for that person. And I could see that happening in Canada, Europe, US, wherever, although you are more likely to get a semi-violent or aggressive tongue lashing from someone in the dirty US south than you would in Canada most likely.

Eleanor
01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Don't watch television? lol
Can you name a pro-religious advert you've seen on TV that wasn't on the Christian channel or on at 3am?

TKRIS
01-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Personally, I don't really see the point.
If there are religious ads presented in a similar fashion, then I guess I see why they'd want to do this, but if not, it seems like they're evoking reactions for the sake of getting reactions, which seems like a bit of a waste of energy and money to me.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
:facepalm:

Why is there even a need to print ads about anything religious? (I don't care what anybody says, Atheism = religion of science and the "word of atheism" is becoming more overwhelming than those dastardly mormons!)

Hahahahahahaha.

"I don't care what anyone says"
That's fucking hilarious.
Someone who, admittedly, doesn't care what anyone else has to say on the subject, they're going to keep on believing exactly what they believe no matter what, pointing out how others are religious.

Religion (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion)
Irony (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony)

Anyone remember those Jesus billboards in the states? Black background with white text on it. Fuck those things were everywhere for a while. I remember driving around Michigan wondering if all the businesses went bankrupt because instead of trying to sell me something, all the billboards along the highway were trying to save me. hahaha

Tomaz
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Can you name a pro-religious advert you've seen on TV that wasn't on the Christian channel or on at 3am?

I should say it is more Christian products rather than the religious views (though I see it as the same thing).

I see it during daytime TV, selling CD's, books, or even some of the over-seas foster children funds. All of these promote the faith.

sputnik
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
What next? Atheists building churches?

Canmorite
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Benny Hinn comes to mind, selling and promoting crap. Special healing for all that come to my show! Donations required!

5lvU-DislkI

Super_Geo
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
What next? Atheists building churches?

Why would they do that? I don't think atheists have an imaginary friend that tells them to burn churches...

Unlike the religious whackos who have an imaginary friend telling them to bomb abortion doctors. How fucking insane is that?!

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
I think the word "Probably" is the word that keeps these ads alive. They're not saying there is no god, they're just introducing the possibility.

If I saw these in Calgary, it would brighten my life up. I would laugh hard as hell every time I saw one.. More so than the 1-800-Suicide ones at least.

I would love to watch peoples reactions to this while sitting in traffic.

TorqueDog
01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm an atheist, but I got out of the whole theism/atheism debate a long ass time ago.

"I just let them live and die with their stupid ideas."

atheistftw
01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I found a canadian atheist bus movement that has started. You can see it at http://atheistbus.ca .

I can't wait to see adverts on our buses in Canada :)

Canmorite
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by atheistftw
I found a canadian atheist bus movement that has started. You can see it at http://atheistbus.ca .

Found, or came here to promote it? ;)

n1zm0
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Benny Hinn comes to mind, selling and promoting crap. Special healing for all that come to my show! Donations required!

i find this to be the biggest scam ever to be pulled off 'legally' (besides what various governments are capable of), like really, if he can seriously do that, bring him to Pelican Bay during a race riot and let him work his magic..

those evangelists i tell ya... :rolleyes:

atheistftw
01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Originally posted by atheistftw

Found, or came here to promote it? ;)

a bit of both :)

Just wanted to inform the masses. :love:

skyline19
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
hahah Ive never seen that benny hill vid before.

let the bodies hit the floor, how fitting.:rofl: :rofl:

Xtrema
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by skyline19
hahah Ive never seen that benny hill vid before.

let the bodies hit the floor, how fitting.:rofl: :rofl:

Benny Hill?

N7SLzi2q-Uk

sputnik
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Why would they do that? I don't think atheists have an imaginary friend that tells them to burn churches...

So far atheists...

- Collect money from believers.
- Preach/impose their beliefs to others.
- Tell others that their beliefs are wrong/stupid/irrelevant etc.
- Put ads on buses.
- Write countless books on the subject.

Really the only thing left it to start building churches where other atheists can congregate.

Looks like the pot is calling the kettle black these days.

QuasarCav
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

So far atheists...

- Put ads on buses.

Really the only thing left it to start building churches where other atheists can congregate.

These are just the extremists. The rest of us aren't like that.

:rofl: :rofl:

scat19
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
That is awesome. Makes me proud to be British haha

I can't stand the whole religious bullshit.

How does hitting someone in the face, and making them fall down, come any closer to god? Looks more like an orgasm to me.

I had a roomate once, and I asked him what he and his GF did in his room for more than an hour.

"Devotion"

I asked, "Whats that"

"oh we read a passage and discuss it"

I said, "For an hour!?!?!?!"

I lol'd

yue
01-13-2009, 03:05 PM
YOU CAN’T PROVE THAT THERE IS A GOD ANYMORE THAN I CAN PROVE THAT THERE ISN’T ONE. LET’S JUST CALL IT EVEN.

kevie88
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by yue
YOU CAN’T PROVE THAT THERE IS A GOD ANYMORE THAN I CAN PROVE THAT THERE ISN’T ONE. LET’S JUST CALL IT EVEN.

I can, however, prove that there is definately a caps lock key on your keyboard. :rofl:

TKRIS
01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by yue

Here's where the contentious part begins. It's in the best interests of religion to avoid this argument, as not being able to prove a negative is not the same as reasonable probability.

I can't prove that unicorns do not exist. I just assume they don't, because there's no evidence to suggest they do.
You can't prove Russell's teapot isn't orbiting the sun, but that doesn't mean that believing it is so is a reasonable position.

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into.” - Jonathan Swift

If you're one of the faithful, great, have faith. But don't confuse that faith for anything other than what it is.

Mckenzie
01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by yue

The absence of proof typically does not prove the existence of anything. :nut: :dunno:

Super_Geo
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

So far atheists...

- Put ads on buses.

Collect money from believers
Elaborate, I don't follow.

Preach/impose their beliefs on others
Hardly... especially compared to religious people. Have you or any of your friends got a knock on the door from someone trying to get you to drop your religion?

Tell other that their beliefs are wrong/stupid/irrelevant
Again, not nearly to the same degree as religions already do to other choice religions. You think atheists are as bad to any religion as Muslims/Jews, Muslims/Christians, Protestants/Catholics, etc.

Put ads on buses
This was in response to religious ads on buses.

Write countless books on the subject
If you had to guess... what do you think the ratio is of Religious books vs. Non-religious books?

Come on... every one of your points against atheism is already outdone by what religious people do... and completely accept.

And atheists take money from religious people? What are you talking about? We don't tithe... that's the church, bud.

sputnik
01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
However faith comes into play whenever you can only explain things to the depth of your own knowledge.

So in order to be correct in what you believe (for either side) you must always prepend you statement with "To the best of my knowledge and understanding..."

To definitively say "There is no God" or to say "There is a God" implies that you know everything about everything to its greatest depths.

Unfortunately Atheists tend to believe more often than not that they are the authority on all things unseen and choose to believe that there is no faith aspect to their own point of view. While religious people are willing to accept that faith of the unknown or uncertain is important in what they believe.

sputnik
01-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Collect money from believers
Elaborate, I don't follow.

Preach/impose their beliefs on others
Hardly... especially compared to religious people. Have you or any of your friends got a knock on the door from someone trying to get you to drop your religion?

Tell other that their beliefs are wrong/stupid/irrelevant
Again, not nearly to the same degree as religions already do to other choice religions. You think atheists are as bad to any religion as Muslims/Jews, Muslims/Christians, Protestants/Catholics, etc.

Put ads on buses
This was in response to religious ads on buses.

Write countless books on the subject
If you had to guess... what do you think the ratio is of Religious books vs. Non-religious books?

Come on... every one of your points against atheism is already outdone by what religious people do... and completely accept.

And atheists take money from religious people? What are you talking about? We don't tithe... that's the church, bud.

- How else did they pay for the bus ads?

- Have you ever seen an interview with Richard Dawkins? Atheists don't necessarily "evangelize" however they certainly like to ridicule and criticize in the same way.

- Probably the same ratio as atheists to religious people. In the case of Atheism they criticize and ridicule people of ANY faith. Even if they aren't part of an organized religion.

- Exactly. They feel the need to fight. Why so terribly defensive? Trying to win more people to their side? Seems retarded if the Atheist side isn't really a side at all but a lack of a side (according to an Atheist anyway).

- Probably a similar number of books as compared to any other religions books. Remember that there are MANY books of literature in the past that have been written with humanistic or atheist themes. Have you read any Camus lately?

At any rate. The Atheist movement strikes me as a bit odd. On one hand they claim they aren't a religion, that they don't have faith in anything... but on the other hand they do all of the same things as any other organized religion would do (regardless of volume).

Super_Geo
01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
My biggest beef with religion is that it becomes a tool for herding the unsophisticated. Which, of course, isn't to say all religious people are unsophisticated.

You have the Evangelics voting in the neocons because they're told by their church that GWB needs to invade Iraq to facilitate the second coming of Christ. Muslim extremists who are told to kill themselves for their perceived God but someone else's political gain. Intelligent Design being taught in science class. Criminalizing abortions, gay marriages, condom use in Africa, and the list goes on and on.

So this is how religion is directly affecting us atheists. The stats have shown that without the Evangelic vote Bush and his neocon cronies would have never made it to office. It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that these people were herded into the booths by their church.

So why is it perplexing to you that atheists would also want a voice?

mx73someday
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM

To definitively say "There is no God" or to say "There is a God" implies that you know everything about everything to its greatest depths.

An atheist saying "There is no god" does not imply that they know everything about everything to its greatest depth, they imply that they know everything about what is known and will readily accept that they don't know everything.

In the case of Atheism they criticize and ridicule people of ANY faith.

This is a hypocritical statement coming from a theist, as if theists never ridicule other religions. They don't stop at ridiculing, they start wars and kill one another.

-They feel the need to fight. Why so terribly defensive? Trying to win more people to their side? Seems retarded if the Atheist side isn't really a side at all but a lack of a side (according to an Atheist anyway).

Again, another hypocritical statement, you're criticizing atheists for trying to win more people to their side as if theists have never done this. And then consider the extreme lengths theists have gone to ensure that people conform to their belief systems. They go after the weakest people, or those incapable of defending themselves like innocent children. Brutally breaking down the logic and rationality children are born with so that they can guarantee the childrens' devotion. Why wouldn't atheists want to fight this kind of behavior? Theists have been crusading around the planet for many millenium fighting for their cause, it's completely hypocritical for you to criticize atheists for the same behavior.

sputnik
01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
My biggest beef with religion is that it becomes a tool for herding the unsophisticated. Which, of course, isn't to say all religious people are unsophisticated.

What about the unsophisticated atheists? For many atheism is just a default setting. Not much sophistication there.

You have the Evangelics voting in the neocons because they're told by their church that GWB needs to invade Iraq to facilitate the second coming of Christ. Muslim extremists who are told to kill themselves for their perceived God but someone else's political gain. Intelligent Design being taught in science class. Criminalizing abortions, gay marriages, condom use in Africa, and the list goes on and on.

The examples you use are the voice of extremist religious people. Most religious people understand the separation of church and state. Those that don't seem to be the ones that make the news.

So this is how religion is directly affecting us atheists. The stats have shown that without the Evangelic vote Bush and his neocon cronies would have never made it to office. It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that these people were herded into the booths by their church.

If it wasn't for the religious vote Obama wouldn't be president either.

McCain isn't exactly religious. Where was the atheist support for him?

Were they really herded? Most religious people don't believe that God is a republican. Again. Those that don't, make the news.

Considered the words of Tony Campolo (former spiritual advisor to Bill Clinton)

m584z5aE4Uc

So why is it perplexing to you that atheists would also want a voice?

I am not denying their voice, or the fact that they should have one. I just find it interesting that they are acting more and more like an organized religion these days. However their picture of God hanging on the walls of their temples is actually just a mirror.

mx73someday
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM

McCain isn't exactly religious. Where was the atheist support for him?

At first you're arguing that atheists are doing some of the same things as theists, now you're criticizing atheists for not acting like theists. Which is it you want?

TKRIS
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I am not denying their voice, or the fact that they should have one. I just find it interesting that they are acting more and more like an organized religion these days. However their picture of God hanging on the walls of their temples is actually just a mirror.

Oh bullshit.

By your definition, almost any group of like minded people can be classified as a "religion".
From Ducks Unlimited to the United Nations.

If you tell me evolution isn't a valid scientific theory because your magic book told you so, you can't then cry about how I'm trying to convert you when I explain why you're wrong.
When you try to make it mandatory that my kid has to pray in a publicly funded school, you can't claim I'm suppressing your faith when I point out why that's wrong and shouldn't be allowed.
When you try to get your religious beliefs to dictate social policy, you can't claim religious indignation when I point out that your god's noodley appendage has no jurisdiction mandating the functions of government.

If the religious kept their religion to themselves, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Don't flatter yourselves. I, and I'd venture a guess most Atheists, don't give a shit what superstitious beliefs you buy into. I'm only concerned with how you try to force me to conform to them.

If a Jewish guy breaks into my house and I kick his ass, that doesn't make me a Nazi or a Muslim extremist.
I kicked his ass because he broke into my house and was stealing my shit, and I could give a shit about what sky pixie he prays to, what drugs he takes, or what color his first bicycle was.
One has nothing to do with the other, and any attempts to play it fast and loose with selective definitions in order to link them are both disingenuous and manipulative.

Claiming that my lack of a religion is "just like organized religion" is not only a dismissive attempt to poison the well, but it's also the height of hypocrisy.

Canmorite
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Calling atheists getting together a religion is pretty far fetched. I don't congregate with others enmass and push irrational ideas around.

I don't know one atheist who proclaims they know everything or conisder themselves God. I still have doubt about many things regarding why we are here and how life started, but I tend to sway towards the logical and probable side.

EDIT: Too slow, TKRIS :thumbsup:

A790
01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
The atheists didn't just decide it was time to put the ads on the buses. The ads are a response to earlier ads that preached eternal damnation for those who weren't of the faith.

I think that the reason why atheism is becoming more popular, and more noticeable, is do to how easily information can be shared. 250 years ago the option to share your opinions with other people across the city wasn't feasible, let alone across the world. Now, anyone can look up arguments both for and against religion and come to their own conclusion.

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. I don't know who any of you are trying to convince right now, but I'm guessing the only result will be stronger finger and wrist muscles. Have fun. :)

Antonito
01-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm surprised it took till page 3 for TKRIS to bitch slap Sputnik, there were far too many people trying to excuse atheism as if it's anything like a religion, rather than getting to the heart of the matter that any atheistic movement is a direct response to organised religion. Take away religion constantly trying to impose itself on society, and atheists would not be buying bus ads, writing books, etc, etc.

Then again, this is probably the 1000th thread here about this topic, and Sputnik has been around long enough that he shouldn't have to be told all this again, so he'll be willfully ignorant in the next thread too I'd wager.

Brendan_4g63
01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
How did I miss this thread, too funny.

Welcome to Canada!
http://atheistbus.ca/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43994941863&ref=mf

Khyron
01-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
... I point out that your god's noodley appendage has no jurisdiction mandating the functions of government.

I used to claim atheistism, but I too am now a Pastafarian. It's a much easier way to illustrate the absurdity of most religions.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster for the uninformed)

While it may seem rude to mock religion, it's even worse to allow political correctness and politeness to mask gross ignorance and stupidity that affects us all.

HondaRice
01-18-2009, 01:33 AM
wow spend $275,000 to make people believe that theres no God??

I guess the economy is pretty good there...

Rocky
01-18-2009, 01:39 AM

Really?

In Edmonton, off Gateway & Calgary Trail around... between 63 and 82 ave, there's billboards on each side. One says "Thanks to God for his incredible gift, Jesus Christ" and the other says "Keep Christ in Christmas".

also:
The absence of proof typically does not prove the existence of anything. The absence of proof often substantiates what the "truth" is, at least in a legal setting. Lack of evidence is a silly reason to say 'there isn't a god' while the inability definitively disprove God/gods is a silly reason to say 'there is a god'.

kertejud2
01-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I love public access shows

JJxCFa8YmbQ

LOLzilla
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
This is now coming to Calgary!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/01/27/no-god.html

Canmorite
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Interesting. Pretty sweet I think.

nonlinear
01-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Links for The Root of All Evil?, an awesome BBC special dawkins did. based on his recent book The God Delusion (awesome book).

part 1: http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=9002284641446868316

part 2: http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-8210522903232438954&hl=nl

it has a part with Ted Haggard, that crazy christian dude who was a weekly religious adviser to bush, and then got outed as gay and meth user by that male prostitute.

NRGie
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo