PDA

View Full Version : Saving a water damaged cell phone (LG Keybo)

clem24
01-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Here's the story.. I bought a Telus LG Keybo off some biatch on Kijiji. Phone looked and worked great (looks brand spanking new, even has the plastic film intact on the camera and side buttons). Took it back to my office, and found that the end call/power button doesn't seem to work. There's 2 of them, one on the front face, one on the inside. Neither works. And as a kick in the balls, she gave me the wrong charger. That's not much of an issue though as the phone can charge through USB and I do have that USB cable.

Anyway, I had no idea what was wrong, just that I knew this thing was busted. Tried contacting her to get my money back, but she stopped replying to my Emails. I took it to the Telus store yesterday, and they immediately knew it was water damage cause that sticker was missing (I guess in this case it falls off if it gets wet). I have no idea when it was damaged. I did suspect it to be water damage, cause when the phone is off, I can see tiny bits of water stains on the inside of the screen.

So my question: any way to save this? If I take out the battery and let the phone sit for a day, those 2 keys in question start working again, but will eventually fail (like say 30 mins). I'd like to think there's hope, but probably not.

The other option.. Stupid bitch forgot to completely erase her cell phone list and her own cell phone #, so I have all her contact info including her parents and friends, I know where she works. I also now know where she lives.. LOL but unfortunately my evil side isn't quite fully developed yet. She is quite the looker if any of you guys want to stalk her. Sorry no pics.

The_Rural_Juror
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I've read about soaking water damaged iPhones in alcohol. Maybe that might help?

schocker
01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
If it has been dried already it might have had some damage done with the circuitry already from the water short circuiting it. You could perhaps try using a desiccant but i have no idea where to buy it.

clem24
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by schocker
If it has been dried already it might have had some damage done with the circuitry already from the water short circuiting it. You could perhaps try using a desiccant but i have no idea where to buy it.

Well it's quite dry now. The buttons do work, just for a short while... I think I might just end up popping it open and see if maybe it's oxidized somewhere.

em2ab
01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I smell another 20 page thread with phone numbers, Facebook accounts and pictures from Jaymez.

HyperZell
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
You just know that that phone's been in the toilet.

Boat
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
WD-40 will help to take out the water (if there is any left).

If that doesn't work, at least you have a lot of options...

5fivespeed
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't know where to get it, but we use it at work - CFC Free contact cleaner. I would open up the phone, dry it out for a few days, hit it with contact cleaner and compressed air. Same with the case.

Isopropyl Alcohol works too, since it dries fast. If the battery was submerged in water, maybe Ebay a new one.

SCHIDER23
01-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell
You just know that that phone's been in the toilet.

:barf: :barf: that is a big possibility :barf:

HyperZell
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by SCHIDER23

:barf: :barf: that is a big possibility :barf:

Water damage?...not quite...

revelations
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Other than alcohol - try immersing the phone WITHOUT a battery - in distilled water for 24 hrs.

Then take it out and let dry for 48 hrs.

Your other option is to turn an oven on low, then once its warmed up a bit turn it off and let the phone dry out inside - 50c would be ideal.

And post those numbers now....

clem24
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
LOL I just read that bake in the oven thing.. Um no thanks. I would assume it's dry by now. My best recourse seems to be to take it apart and look for oxidization. I don't think I'd want to submerse it anymore in water. From what I've researched over the last few days, it seems like that's only good if the phone is still wet. The battery seems fine.

She works at Newalta if anyone (you know) works there.

G-ZUS
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
post her e-mail, phone number, name whatever you got and let Beyond: CSI pull up her face and stuff :)

rockwolf2001
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
sign up a bunch of spam mail (enlargement pills and p0rn) to go to her office? :dunno:

as for the phone, most of the suggestions stated before me are great suggestions, but i doubt it will fix the end call button, i think the button is probably broken due to use...

xLostx
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
do you have her phone number? just create a listing on kijijifor like a 50" plasma for $500 bucks with her # and half the city will be calling her

clem24
01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by rockwolf2001
but i doubt it will fix the end call button, i think the button is probably broken due to use...

I don't think so.. The Keybo has an external number pad and an internal QWERTY keyboard. Both the end call buttons act the same. As soon as one doesn't work the other stops working too. The phone also looks brand spanking new, save for the tiny specs of water stains on the inside of the LCD. I guess could be pee stains too.

As for her phone #, yeah, I have everything. Except I made one crucial mistake... I left my cell # with her. :banghead: So basically, fake ads are out, but stalking is still a go. :thumbsup:

403ep3
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
If she is like most people and tried to turn it on after the phone was immersed in water I don't know if that phone has much life left. I dropped my 8830 in the sakana pond a couple days ago, quickly took it out, removed the battery and let it dry overnight. It still works :eek: