PDA

View Full Version : Buying board - New or used

Sprockett
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I snowboarded or 4 or 5years...like 15 years ago. Starting to take the family out and hoping to get back into it. Wanting to buy a board instead of continuing to rent but not looking to invest $500+

So, debating buying a quality 2-6 year old board/binding for ~$200 or new buy cheap board/binding setup for <$300. If I were comparing it to cars, I would prefer to buy a 5 year old Toyota instead of a brand new Pontiac but I'm not sure the logic applies to snowboards and how they wear, depreciate etc.

Anyone knowledgable share opinions?

Thanks,

a social dsease
01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I'd buy a quality used one, sometimes you can get a great deal on an older board that may not have been used very heavily. Alot of people buy boards, go out twice, store em for a bit, then sell them. When you buy it, just check to make sure the base has no core shots, the edges are still sharp (and not dented or anything), there is no de-lamination, and there is no cracking between the metal edge and the side of the board. I bought a burton vapor in the summer for $250 (it retailed around $1000) and it is in great condition. (actually haven't ridden it yet, but it looks like it is in good condition). If you start going alot then maybe consider getting a new board, it can definitely be worth it to get a warranty especially if you ride hard.