PDA

View Full Version : Car Dealership Shuttles

GingeRRRBeef
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
For those of you who have used the car dealership shuttle service, have you thought about tipping the drivers? Why or why not?

I was just thinking why ppl don't tip the shuttle drivers but ppl tip taxi drivers.

Masked Bandit
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't tip them but my guess is that the base pay of the shuttle drivers is better than that of the taxi guys.

94boosted
01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I don't tip them but my guess is that the base pay of the shuttle drivers is better than that of the taxi guys.

Shuttle drivers don't get paid much at all at my old work they were only making about $12/hr and they weren't allowed to accept gratuities there was even a sign inside the van that said "no gratuities".

hockeyguy
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
our driver gets tipped a few times a week but it isn't expected

Xtrema
01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
I was just thinking why ppl don't tip the shuttle drivers but ppl tip taxi drivers.

Shuttle driver has set wages, Taxi don't. No tipping required. There is quite a bit of turnover in these roles and I always get retired people driving these.

Hakkola
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I worked as a Shuttle Driver for Hyatt Mercedes for a summer back in the day, 5 days a week and I only got tip from a customer once or twice.

It was never expected.

theken
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Taxis shouldn't get tipped. They overcharge and it is quite costly as it is. It was like 55 bucks from the airport to my house. That's redicilous

Godfuader
01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Its a salaried/hourly position...no tips needed. Years ago I was driver for Country Hills Toyota for a brief period. Never got tips, nor did I expect any.

Edit: Come to think of it. I always tip hotel shuttle drivers.

Godfuader
01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by theken
Taxis shouldn't get tipped. They overcharge and it is quite costly as it is. It was like 55 bucks from the airport to my house. That's redicilous
Next time use a Sedan Service. 10x better and they charge a flat rate = cheaper than a taxi 90% of the time.

ExtremeSi
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I worked as a shuttle driver for Hertz, and only got tips once in a while. Not very common. However, they were definetely appreciated as the job's base pay was just above minimum wage. But I don't think shuttle drivers will be offended if you don't tip them.

TomcoPDR
01-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm not an expert at this, I only bring my ride to dealerships maybe once per year.

But I'd say it's more appropriate to offer food or something, I usually ask if s/he wants a coffee/donut/sandwich and if we can go by the local Timmy.

Most drivers are older in age, so I think they're just happy to have company and people to chat with on a daily bases. And they get to share their stories of the good 'ol times, this one time the driver was a retired or hobby farmer, I was able to get him to stop by Princess Auto and we just walked around until his next call.

n1zm0
01-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Most drivers are older in age, so I think they're just happy to have company and people to chat with on a daily bases.

+1 when i worked automotive our shuttle drivers were elderly guys, really nice, seems like it gave them something to do during the day rather than sit at home all day and get nagged by their wives :D

occasionally back in the early early days when i did valet, they'd get me to drive the overflow ppl to work in the morning and i'd get to pick a 50k luxury sedan of my choice to 'deliver' them downtown.

during that time i only got tipped once and that was cause the lady was my last drop off and she asked me to bring her to sunterra to do her groceries and help her pick out a birthday card for her daughter :nut:

adidas
01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Never used the shuttle service but id definitely think twice about tippin as the dealerships charge an arm and a leg for most of there jobs!

But like someone else mentioned if i got the driver to stop by the local timmies or something id def get somethin for them!