PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare come true

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
So yeah, some of you know I just picked up a new car a couple weeks ago, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. Absolutely beautiful car, been loving it for the last little bit.

Anyways, so this is all happening in Lethbridge, where I go to school. I pulled out of the Petro parking lot on 5th street going North. Going around 30 kmph and the street has a bunch of angle parking spots. Just going along and all of a sudden I see a truck out of the corner of my eye and bam, the corner of his bumper hit my rear quarter panel. I get out of the car and the guy is like WTF ARE YOU DOING?! I was like excuse me you fatass, you backed into me, on a main street. He's like you should have seen me, I stopped for the car in front of you, I'm like yeah, I'm sure its my responsibility to make sure that I don't hit people backing out of their parking stalls. Finally admitted that it was his fault after I said I'm gonna call the cops and they can figure out whose fault it is. His truck had absolutely no damage.

Got a quote from a collision shop down here, $5600 worth of damage at least, if theirs no hidden damage. At least he's paying for everything. Can't believe this just happened to me though. On a new car.

Anybody reccommend any

5fivespeed
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Contemporary Coachworks? Sorry to hear.

Weapon_R
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
When insurance is paying, head straight to Contemporary Coachworks. I have never seen better work.

5fivespeed
01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
When insurance is paying, head straight to Contemporary Coachworks. I have never seen better work.

Exactly, my uncle works there - I've seen BRAND NEW cars going in there for imperfections. Normally, we wouldn't notice these and when he pointed them out I was in awe.

Canmorite
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Brutal!! Sorry to hear...hopefully it gets fixed up nicely.

BlackArcher101
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
You DID call the cops right? I see you threatened to call them, but did you actually do it or go to the station and fill out a report?

Lethbridge peeps are scammers, they will admit fault to delay getting cops involved, then go fill out a report before you do and guess who's word is against who's...

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I called the cops actually, he told me to. The lady that picked up for them told me to go in and fill out a report if the damage was over 1k. I thought it was so I asked her what if it was, is she going to send a car out, she said just come in. So I am going first thing tomorrow morning.

BMDUBS
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Id be going NOW son... dont be pissing around with these things... People are scum and will screw you the first chance they get. As another poster had put it, if they get there first it could be your word against his... good luck

Masked Bandit
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
You DID call the cops right? I see you threatened to call them, but did you actually do it or go to the station and fill out a report?

Lethbridge peeps are scammers, they will admit fault to delay getting cops involved, then go fill out a report before you do and guess who's word is against who's...

Even if the other guy is totally crooked, how could he twist the story? I can't think of any way to make this look like the OP is at-fault. The person leaving the parked position is at-fault....PERIOD.

The cops would have a good laugh if red-neck tried to come up with some story making the OP look to be the bad guy.

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
^^ Thanks, just what I like to here. The corner of his bumper hit mine and theres no damage to his car. So I don't see how he could possibly say it's my fault.

Oh and is the cop station open at this time? If they are, I should go in. I said I was going to report it right away and he told me that I can go do it if I want, but he's paying for everything anyways and he doesn't want to report it.

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh, and was this moved here?

BlackArcher101
01-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Even if the other guy is totally crooked, how could he twist the story? I can't think of any way to make this look like the OP is at-fault. The person leaving the parked position is at-fault....PERIOD.

The cops would have a good laugh if red-neck tried to come up with some story making the OP look to be the bad guy.

Are you saying it doesn't happen? I have a relative who deals with these police reports for accidents.... All they have to do is deny it and make any plausible story, unless there is a witness how do they determine fault?

And no, the lethbridge police station isn't open right now. You'll have to go in the morning.

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
What if that happens than? If he denies he was there and everything?

Tik-Tok
01-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I can't think of any way to make this look like the OP is at-fault.

Lie 1) He was pulling into the spot, and this "crazy" kid just slammed right into him

Lie 2) He was already out of the parking spot and was pulling forward when this "crazy" kid hit him

that's 2 i thought of in 10 seconds, given a few days, I'm sure I could think of more.

Xtrema
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
No witnesses?

Took any pictures before you move your cars?

Also, you got all his info and confirmed right? No fake insurance what so ever? I wouldn't bother if he say he'll pay for it. Just go thru insurance. It's easier.

He backed into you, it's his fault. Hope you got comprehensive or a good agent. Otherwise, it's going to be a lot of hassle.

max_boost
01-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Just go through insurance and let them deal with it. Settling it privately does work but it's too easy for the other guy to dick you around etc.

It sucks because you just got your car too!

SNAATCH
01-12-2009, 10:32 PM
That's pretty shitty, at least he has insurance. Not sure if this is really a nightmare... No offence or anything, but A LOT worse can happen to people in the winter time with collisions etc..

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lie 1) He was pulling into the spot, and this "crazy" kid just slammed right into him

Lie 2) He was already out of the parking spot and was pulling forward when this "crazy" kid hit him

that's 2 i thought of in 10 seconds, given a few days, I'm sure I could think of more.

Lie 1) The damage is all rear door and fender and the side of the rear bumper. Easily can be seen as a single point of impact and not a side swipe.

Lie 2) That would mean I rear ended him which is impossible if there is no damage done to the front of the car.

And wouldn't the insurance agencies send somebody out to take a look at the cars and determine who is at fault?

And its going through insurance, just called them and have the claim started already, don't think the guy will settle privately for $5600 worth of damage.

Oh and here's a pic of damage:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/psycoticclown/Car/IMAGE_098.jpg

RC-Cola
01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Cops are pretty good at seeing what happened. Go to the station, fill out a report wit or without him. The cop will come out and look at your car and will be able to tell what happened right away.

I had a hit and run in a parking lot a couple of years ago where I was worried about getting screwed with the bill. I went into the station the cop took a look at my car for about two minutes and played the incident out. I thought that someone hit my car driven into the parking spot beside me. The cop said it was actually when the guy was pulling out of the spot instead.

I suggest once you get the report filled out to call your insurance and then call his insurance. Tell them both where you want to have your car fixed after the adjuster reviews the case.

Keep a level head and be honest and everything will turn out fine. And no, if you call your insurance company, your insurance will not go up. They are there to protect you and ensure your car gets fixed asap.

RC-Cola
01-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

And its going through insurance, just called them and have the claim started already, don't think the guy will settle privately for $5600 worth of damage.

He might, but I doubt it. Even if he does your protecting yourself by starting the claim.

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I already called my insurance, got the claims started already. No way I'm dicking around with this, I want my car back to the best condition as possible.

BlackArcher101
01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Good! Sorry to scare you if I did, but I'm just making sure you were on the ball. My father has seen too many people get screwed for waiting.

psycoticclown
01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
^^No, I appreciate all the stuff you've been telling me, keeps me on the ball.

How much would Contemporary charge? And can I take it there since my car is in Lethbridge? I don't want to drive it all the way back into Calgary just for a quote.

redblack
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
was any contact made to the wheel?

psycoticclown
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
No contact to the wheel, I don't think anyways.

Anyways, talked to insurance and the police, filled out the collision report and they contacted the other driver who agreed to everything said on the collision report so I think I'm all good. Just waiting on approval from the insurance. Anybody recommend any bodyshops in Lethbridge? Went to J&S Collision and Dwight's Auto Body for some quotes.

RC-Cola
01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Anybody recommend any bodyshops in Lethbridge? Went to J&S Collision and Dwight's Auto Body for some quotes.

I don't know any shops in Lethbridge, but I would call the dealership and ask who they recommend.

Generic
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
its worth driving to Calgary to do it right.

hockeyguy
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
stay away from j and s collision, terrible work in lethbridge, dwight's does really good work, usually any high end car is there for paint

em2ab
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
So is it new or is it a 2005? I'm confused.

Eleanor
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
So is it new or is it a 2005? I'm confused.
New to him, MY2005

em2ab
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
If it's a 2005, it's not new to anybody. :dunno: Not important I guess, just got confused.

chkolny541
01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
:eek: :eek:
man you only made that new subaru car thread like a few weeks back!

psycoticclown
01-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I know. Picked it up Jan 2nd. Ugh. And it's new to me as in I just got it. Who says they got an old car?:dunno:

AllGoNoShow
01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Matt, definatly go see the guys at Contemporary, you will not be upset when you get your car back. Shoot me a msg if u need a hand!

psycoticclown
01-15-2009, 06:47 PM
^^ Assuming your Robin haha

jdm_eg6
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
contemporary coachworks will do a good job, and since its going through insurance who cares how much it will cost right. ;)

the quote i got from contemporary vs the competitor was double.. aka 3500 vs 6500

96GrandAMGT
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
sports car coachworks

psycoticclown
01-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Only thing about going to Contemporary or Sports Car Coachworks or Concorde or any of the nicer body shops in Calgary is that I have to bring the car into Calgary, get an estimate, drive it back down here, wait for the shop to put me in and than drive the car back up to Calgary. I have a buddy who works at Concorde and he says wait times are 3 months, and the problem with the car is since the damage, the tires are scraping underside of the wheel wells whenever I go over bumps, I don't want to make a couple of highway trips and possible cause further damage. I might just have to go to Dwight's or Kustom Auto Body down here since they seem to be pretty reputable and have quite good reviews.

403Gemini
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You can tell you thought those up in 10 seconds, based on the damages the OP is talking about, that in no way can happen given those 2 situations.

Please come back in a few days.