PDA

View Full Version : Basil - During or Right Before Plated?

koopkoop2
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
So, I've been trying to find the answer to this question and have come back with all sorts of conflicting information.

Does basil lose it's flavour with cooking? Due to this, should it be added moments before your sauce comes off the heat or is it OK to add it right at the beginning?

Is anyone here a professional (went to school for) chef that knows the correct answer?

dj_rice
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Fresh basil you add right before serving to retain its freshness and pow

Dried basil since its dried you would use during cooking process to bring out its flavor

Rule of thumb, any fresh herbs is best to put right before serving

core_upt
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Dried basil since its dried you would use during cooking process to bring out its flavor

Exactly.

Vagabond142
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Exception: Bay leaves. Fresh or dried, you put em in at the start so its flavor can propogate

koopkoop2
01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
So, when you say "right before serving" that means it shouldn't spend any time cooking in the sauce? Not even 30 seconds / a minute? Doesn't that mean the flavour has no chance to release into the sauce? Wouldn't it be more desirable to have the fresh basil cook in the sauce for a short amount of time rather than right before plating? This then raises the question of - how long is "a short amount" of time?

My friend who use to work at Earl's tells me they used to add basil in the last minute when cooking their Tomato-Basil-Linguini sauce. However, Earl's isn't exactly known for it's quality of chefs so this just adds to my confusion.

Can someone please clarify?

calgarys_finest
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Depends what i cook. If im making a sauce with it ill use dried basil leaves and add them in the sauce. If i am using fresh basil i will usually add 3/4 of them at the end of the cooking process and top with the rest just before serving.

nonlinear
01-13-2009, 05:09 PM
i always just add in fresh herbs and let them cook. i'm not a pro chef by any means, but i cook everyday and all of the recipes i follow tell me to add fresh herbs before or during the cooking process (unless it's a garnish in which case i add it at the end).

i'm prolly doing it wrong though :nut:

legendboy
01-13-2009, 05:12 PM

hmm i disagree. i think this only applies to a few fresh herbs. basil, parsley and cilantro are the big 3 that come to mind.

other fresh things like rosemary, taragon, oregano, bay, thyme...etc... are usually added to the cooking process.

Gondi Stylez
01-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Both DJ and Legend are correct. But as for you question with regards to basil; add it at the end. So if you are making a tomato sauce, add the fresh basil at the end. If in fact you are using dried basil - clean out your dustbuster and add that instead... it's cheaper;)

Gondi Stylez
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
So, when you say "right before serving" that means it shouldn't spend any time cooking in the sauce? Not even 30 seconds / a minute? Doesn't that mean the flavour has no chance to release into the sauce? Wouldn't it be more desirable to have the fresh basil cook in the sauce for a short amount of time rather than right before plating? This then raises the question of - how long is "a short amount" of time?

My friend who use to work at Earl's tells me they used to add basil in the last minute when cooking their Tomato-Basil-Linguini sauce. However, Earl's isn't exactly known for it's quality of chefs so this just adds to my confusion.

Can someone please clarify?

What I do and what I think you're trying to get at is if you are serving this said pasta, just as you take the pot off the heat, stir in the basil and dish it out. The key is to add the basil - or any delicate herb for that matter - once the pot has been removed from direct heat.

koopkoop2
01-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Both DJ and Legend are correct. But as for you question with regards to basil; add it at the end. So if you are making a tomato sauce, add the fresh basil at the end. If in fact you are using dried basil - clean out your dustbuster and add that instead... it's cheaper;)

Thanks.

Hahaha, yeah, I don't think dried basil does anything other than line the pockets of the people selling it. I used 2 tbsp of it and barely got any taste out of it.