PDA

View Full Version : Calgary's next MAYOR...... Ric McIver???

urban.one
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
McIver coy about mayoral bid

'I'm getting a lot of pressure to do it,' says three-term alderman

By Joel Kom And Kim Guttormson, Calgary Herald
January 13, 2009

Ald. Ric McIver recently turned heads at a charity hockey game. But it wasn't a highlight-reel goal or crushing hit that set tongues wagging at the game featuring current and former aldermen and MLAs.

It was his jersey. Specifically, the number on the back: 2010.

Those at the game thought the implication was obvious. They saw it as the latest sign McIver, a three-term alderman, is plotting a run for mayor in the next civic election.

"I think it's pretty clear what it means, don't you?" said one person who was at the game, which benefited Kids Up Front, a national charity.

Keith Brownsey, a political scientist at Mount Royal College, agreed.

"He did it deliberately," Brownsey said. "He wants to be mayor. He's showing people. It alerts people who would support him of his intentions."

McIver, for his part, was coy about why he had 2010 on his back, first saying he chose it because it was the year of the next Olympics.

"It was a fun hockey game," he said when asked if he was trying to send a message. "I was having fun."

Asked if he's running, McIver would only admit he's considering a bid for the mayor's chair.

"It's a decision that needs to be made in the future," he said. "I'm getting a lot of pressure to do it, and we'll see what happens."

McIver trotted out the jersey the same day Mayor Dave Bronconnier told the Herald that, barring any change in plans, he will run for the city's top job a fourth time.

If both men do enter the race next year, it would mark the ultimate high-stakes battle between two politicians who already butt heads on council.

The latest clash came during heated city budget talks in November, which sparked one of the loudest public outcries over municipal politics in recent memory. Bronconnier argued proposed compounded tax increases of 25 per cent over three years were needed to keep the still-growing city moving forward, while McIver was one of the key players who tried--and failed--to galvanize enough votes to send the budget back to city staff to bring the hikes closer to inflation.

Four days of tense talks reduced the increases to around 19 per cent compounded over three years.

But the larger impact for those on council was the two factions that arose out of the debates. One featured Bronconnier. The other, spearheaded by McIver, included aldermen Andre Chabot, Joe Connelly and Diane Colley-Urquhart -- who some have speculated is also considering a mayoral run, although she dismissed those rumours last month.

Some aldermen, who wouldn't speak on the record, are concerned pre-election positioning will have a negative impact on this council's ability to get things done over the next 19 months.

The fact McIver wore the jersey in public is likely a sign that city council's agenda will be increasingly influenced by political gamesmanship the closer the next election gets, Brownsey said.

"There will be a lot of publicity-seeking," he said.

McIver recently made the unusual move of attending the meeting of a community association outside his ward, a meeting he said he was invited to for discussions on transit-oriented development.

Several letters to the editor and Herald website comments have been urging him to run for mayor, which he said are not part of a co-ordinated effort to bolster his base.

McIver came to city council after two failed local election bids. In his first win to represent Ward 12, in 2001, he was backed by the Progressive Group for Independent Business, a right-wing lobby group for which McIver once sat on the executive.

kenny
01-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Its been quite obvious he plans on running. Look at all his attention whoring during the last couple years.

Weapon_R
01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Hope he does. I can't stand Bronconniers whiny ass.

nonlinear
01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
i'd vote for him over bronco

rage2
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
There's another election coming soon? Who's gonna vote for me if I run? haha

Crymson
01-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I just want someone decent so i can vote against bronco, haha. I don't think it really matters as long as they have at least a shot of winning.

EK 2.0
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2

What's your platform??

1997GSR
01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I'd vote for him for sure. He doesn't completely have his head stuffed up his ass. The guy does blink alot though.

01RedDX
01-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Redlyne_mr2
01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Anyone know what McIvers story is? Not a fan of Bronconiers leadership.

anarchy
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Haha i had Keith Brownsey as my Poli Sci instructor at Mt. Royal. The guy knew what he was talking about.

I agree with the concerns though, that all this positioning for hte next election will hinder council's effectiveness.

benyl
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Anyone but Bronco.

Crymson
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Anyone but Bronco.

Start the ABB party!

D'z Nutz
01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2

On other mayoral related news, candidate rage2 was also seen at a local hockey game receiving fellatio from puck bunny Elisha Cuthbert.

When asked what his plans were should he become Calgary's next mayor, he responded by saying he would sell Calgary to the CanWest network.

You got my vote, boss :thumbsup:

B17a
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
McIver's blinking drives me crazy!

BerserkerCatSplat
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i'd vote for him over bronco

I'd vote for +15 Hoodie Guy over Bronco.

Lex350
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Anyone but Bronco.

:werd:

I'd vote for blinky over bronco

SJW
01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
BLINKY VS. BRONCO ...2010

HE'S GOT MY VOTE.

Toms-SC
01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
This is the guy trying to save race city too!

01cavy
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
McIver is such an ordinary person he wants to work for the city and make it better.

Bronco is just making an ass out of himself. all this road constuction is horribly done. the beddington blvd over pass at country hills blvd still has sets of lights on it. if hes trying to help the growing city like he says then maybe build better overpasses like anthony henday when you enter into edmonton you got no lights for the first ten minutes of driving west.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
This is the guy trying to save race city too!

I knew the name seemed really familiar, Vote McIver!

spikerS
01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
If Macivor runs, he would get my vote.

Weapon_R
01-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Rick McIver also opposes the construction of those foolish pedestrian bridges.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080922/CGY_Fight_080922/20080922/?hub=CalgaryHome

Xtrema
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
McIver is less egotistic. But only a fool didn't think he's going after the job. He's been posturing all year and the media seems to add his 2 cents into every issue.

Can't wait to get rid of Bronco.

kenny
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Rick McIver also opposes the construction of those foolish pedestrian bridges.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080922/CGY_Fight_080922/20080922/?hub=CalgaryHome

He only opposes it because he knows the public is against it. I think he was actually in support of them at first. I'm all for the pedestrian bridges. A nicely designed bridge will be an icon for many years.

When you go with the lowest bidder on projects, you'll get LRT stations like whitehorn and buildings like the Harry Hays building instead of the better designs like the new Crowfoot station or buildings like the Bow.

We need more projects like the pedestrian bridge :thumbsup:

But we'll see, I would vote for either Blinky or Bronco.

Masked Bandit
01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Blinky gets my vote for sure.

culebra
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone but Bronco.

Kassam Alnoor? :rofl:

Gainsbarre
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by culebra

:rofl: I thought that Kassam was his last name -- unless we're going by a different naming convention all of a sudden.

I voted for the Chinese guy U of C guy last election (I think his name is Jeremy Zhao), hoping that he'd get more votes than Alnoor -- and he nearly did.

kenny
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by culebra

Hahah buddy that put the word "GO" on a stop sign? Brilliant man!

RY213
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by kenny

He only opposes it because he knows the public is against it. I think he was actually in support of them at first. I'm all for the pedestrian bridges. A nicely designed bridge will be an icon for many years.

When you go with the lowest bidder on projects, you'll get LRT stations like whitehorn and buildings like the Harry Hays building instead of the better designs like the new Crowfoot station or buildings like the Bow.

We need more projects like the pedestrian bridge :thumbsup:

But we'll see, I would vote for either Blinky or Bronco.

I totally agree with you. People complain that Calgary should have more cool architecture but they dont like the price associated with it. It makes a city so much more interesting when it is filled with state of the art buildings, bridges etc. I love the design of the pedestrian overpass, im hoping it gets built...

mekeni
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Mciver over Bronco for sure !!

:thumbsup:

TC2002
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm jumping on the ABB wagon. :thumbsup:

PGTze
01-14-2009, 02:12 AM
I saw him accidentally bump into a guy at a liquor store over Christmas, and he went with a 'My bad man'. lol he's got my vote.

But in all seriousness he's the biggest threat Bronco's had in a long time, competition can only be a good thing.

riceeater
01-14-2009, 02:32 AM
what does the mayor actually DO? i thought he had more power, but from what i see, city council pretty much decides most things.. someone explain this to me please

Eleanor
01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
McIver is probably the most reasonable alderman we've got. He doesn't BS around like tons of the others do. Plus he's got a sweet 'stache :D

I'd vote for him over Bronco any day :thumbsup:

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I'd vote for +15 Hoodie Guy over Bronco.
:confused:

01RedDX
01-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

The mayor's office can over-rule council on most things, IIRC.

Council is a cushy job too. $92K base + $9K car allowance, $150K for assistants, $14K for misc. expenses, $10K for travel and most of them don't have much more than a B.A.

I don't think the B.A. is even a requirement, just need to get elected.

kenny
01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by riceeater
what does the mayor actually DO? i thought he had more power, but from what i see, city council pretty much decides most things.. someone explain this to me please

Mayor is also the tie breaking vote if it is ever needed.

Gainsbarre
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I don't think the B.A. is even a requirement, just need to get elected.

Obviously -- look at Ralph Klein (high school dropout)

Eleanor
01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Obviously -- look at Ralph Klein (high school dropout)
Former British PM Major didn't finish high school either.

ianmcc
01-14-2009, 11:31 AM
McIver is the first real threat to Bronco. I'm all for voting that whiny Liberal bitch out!
Rick needs to work on the blinking, though. It's creepy.

Daxin
01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Every time I vote against Bronco, there isn't enough votes to get rid of the guy. I hope next election Bronco get creamed!!! I'll be voting for Rick for sure.

It sure looks like Bronco and the councils milking every cent til the next election. But if I could, I would too. :D

nusneak
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Regardless of any whoring he has, or has not done, anytime I hear about Ric McIver he is usually talking about, or wants to do what is right.

Race city for one.
He was one of the few members of council that did not think they deserved a raise from the almost $100k a year they already make too.

I will actually go out and vote for him if he runs.

riceeater
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
i dont know, i dont like bronco but i dont hate him either... what i really hate is our city council, which is filled with retards

GTI CANADIAN
01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Anyone who votes for Bronco again is asking to be raped. All he does is implement stupid taxes to fill the city coffers. He looks out for big business and that is it.

Just take a look at the rental market. No controls = non home owners bending over and getting raped..

IE. Cat License? FTL

kenny
01-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Bump...

Ric McIver's new website launched today. He is definitely going to run for mayor. Small hint in the logo :P

http://www.ricmciver.ca/

G-ZUS
01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Im Voting McIver

ZenOps
01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I think McIver is wound a little tight. Bronco is wound up a little too tight too.

Its a Mayoral position - which I've always felt has always been just as important to be sociable as easygoing to inspire the city as much as keep a certain amount of political warmth.

They both seem to be sleeping teeth grinders to me (much like Stephen Harper)

I really don't think the average Calgarian is so much concerned with taking 0.5% to 1% off their taxes and the day to day governance - as much as they want a symbolically popular and loved mayor.

Cos
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.ricmciver.ca/time-for-plan-it-calgary-to-come-down-to-earth/

ABB FTW

Lex350
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Go blinky!

89s1
01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm in the ABB camp as well.

spikerS
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
well, i just sent in the note that i am willing to volunteer, again, just in case they missed the first one. I want that sleazy motherfucker bronco out, the sooner the better.

88jbody
01-25-2010, 09:22 PM
This will be the first city election I vote in and I am voting McIver for sure if(when) he runs

My slack ass alderman isn't getting my vote either after 4 emails to him and not any kind of a response not even the run around thank you for your intrest in this issue BS nothing
thank you Alderman Bob Hawkesworth of ward 4., he earned 2 votes against him by simply not caring enough to have his assistant write a e-mail back.

CUG
01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
McIver over Bronco ANY fucking day.

There's plenty of liberal influence in City hall to offset you paranoid rightwing-o-phobes. You should vote for him too, just sayin...

FraserB
01-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Blinky FTW! Probably gonna volunteer for Ric when he announces hes in for sure.

TomcoPDR
01-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I think McIver is wound a little tight. Bronco is wound up a little too tight too.

So Rob Anders for you?

Really if you think about it, if he's tied up with city affairs, he wouldn't be bothering other stuff that happens in the world right?

ZenOps
01-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

So Rob Anders for you?

Really if you think about it, if he's tied up with city affairs, he wouldn't be bothering other stuff that happens in the world right?

Rob Anders is Rob Anders. I can only hope that a decade from now - I can point my finger at him and say "I told you so!"

But I can see why Rob Anders is necessary. Sort of like MP George Galloway in Britain - He makes everyone else look racially and religiously tolerant. George Galloway is long suspected of being a war-profiteer (But should Canada bar entry based on rumor?) Besides - Bush was without doubt in many peoples minds the ultimate war-profiteer, so are we just all being hypocrites?

Rob Anders is the ugly kid you want to sit beside in grade school, because he makes everyone else look better. Strange politics, but politics are never straighforward.

Luckily - A man in a mayoral position will never probably have to deal with issues like war-profiteering, lets keep it that way.

Supa Dexta
01-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Will you just come out and say it...> You support Rob Anders for mayor.

RY213
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Anyone watch The Wire? Mcivor is like Tommy Carcetti, he seems like a good guy that will make change but once he is voted in he will realize how fucked the system is and be just like Bronconnier...

beyond_ban
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Bump...

Ric McIver's new website launched today. He is definitely going to run for mayor. Small hint in the logo :P

http://www.ricmciver.ca/

That is a well placed "vote me in" checkmark.

z24_wheels
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I usually don't vote, but I will going forward. I hope Druh gets the axe too. Uppity bitch.

Cos
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by z24_wheels
I usually don't vote, but I will going forward. I hope Druh gets the axe too. Uppity bitch.

I would move just to vote her out

kertejud2
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by RY213
Anyone watch The Wire? Mcivor is like Tommy Carcetti, he seems like a good guy that will make change but once he is voted in he will realize how fucked the system is and be just like Bronconnier...

McIvor is more of an Al Duerr type than a Bronco. He wont rock the boat but the boat wont go very far either.

atgilchrist
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

McIvor is more of an Al Duerr type than a Bronco. He wont rock the boat but the boat wont go very far either.

I think you're right. He's called "Dr. No" for a reason, but continually voting against new activities would quickly lead to a stagnant city gov't.

dino_martini
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't vote for Mciver, not a big fan of his. At the same time I don't like Bronco either

sputnik
01-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

:werd:

Ric will freeze taxes to make people happy and to get elected but then stop proper development of the city.

In 10 years we will all be stuck in traffic complaining about the lack of lanes on Deerfoot, how the interchanges STILL aren't done on Crowchild and transit will be worse than ever.