PDA

View Full Version : Teaching English in Korea

Jim Rome99
01-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Anyone know anything about it?

DarkDream
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
lol, I am actually doing it right now at the moment...

pm me any questions you may have

eblend
01-14-2009, 09:35 AM
been to Korea and its a rather dull place compared to something like Japan or Taiwan. Maybe look into those places as well.

Billy_Billions
01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I did it for a few years.
What do you want to know?

Generic
01-14-2009, 03:09 PM
is it a good place to get some basic references before you teach in Canada? is it worth the pay?

Generic
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
and what is the pay like?

kamakurakid
01-16-2009, 09:46 PM
S. Korea is rather dull and the endless assumption that you are from America is a negative. Believe me, cleaning spit off your back will be a nice welcome indeed. A couple of buds had this experience more than once. And dating the local girls, og boy talk about getting run out of Dodge. Happened to the same buds.

I have been there three times, for maybe a month in total. While I have no real bad experiences, good people, very helpful, etc. I have a good friend who loves it, teaches at a uni., he was in Japan for a decade. If you are into something else other than money, SK might be OK. Frankly, Japan offers so much more in my experience and from what friends have told me.

You need a uni degree these days. They have been tossing fake degrees and the like in jail, fines and the whole none yards.

Great place to visit.

Taiwan looked OK to me when I was there for two months. The cash is not great but the place had a vibe.

Any place you land, you need cash in hand. Options limited otherwise. In Japan, $5,000CDN from my experience, apartment fees, realtor, hidden costs, etc. No pay for a month.....you need get out cash should you get tired of the place. I know a Welsh couple, they lasted three weeks....just left in the middle of the night.

Narita can be a friend indeed.

Non resident status from Canada while gone, otherwise Revenue Canada wants their money. Call RC and they can explain the easy process to become non resident.

If you have any more Q.....PM me.