PDA

View Full Version : I'm done helping you people......

Pages : [1] 2

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I've had it with people driving around with crappy tires or the RWD with no weight in the back and getting stuck in the middle of the road. If your vehicle is not capable of handling a simple residential street, stay at home! I've had to push four people on our street in the last 12 hours.

Done.

weeznah
01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
hey me too!!! im more at like 9. I have no problems getting anywere in my silvia so i dont see why everyone else has a problem in there brand new civics and crap.

em2ab
01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I blame it on the city a well, they can't clear roads for shit.

kenny
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
There were a few cars stuck today but in their defence the snow formed huge ridges because of the recent warmer weather and this morning they were all frozen.

A few of them were high centered... too bad I was in a rush to get to work or I would've stuck around to help.

nadroj23
01-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Ya it doesnt help when the weather warmed up the roads a bit. I think i hate loose snow more than ice :S

weeznah
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23
Ya it doesnt help when the weather warmed up the roads a bit. I think i hate loose snow more than ice :S
yeah true loose snow throws your car in a thousand different directions at once.

5000Audi
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
helped a sexy lil hunny get unstuck 2 days ago...mmmmm, ive probably pushed out about 10 cars so far this month just on my road alone... i blame it on the city not tires.. one guy i helped push out had winter tires.. but when stuck in a foot of loose snow it didnt move...

1997GSR
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
^ did you at least get a bj?

alloroc
01-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Nah its the vehicle owners refusal to get winter tires and lousy driving skills.

Pushed two of our neighbors cars out last night. A Dodge Calibre and a Cavalier, both had all seasons. It was so bad for them they could barely get started again in the middle of the street once they were out, never mind in the slush on the side of the road. Of course flooring the car in this stuff doesn't exactly help.

While everyone was still standing outside we left to go to the Flames game in our Yaris with winters on. I then stopped and started in both places where the neighbors were stuck without any issues and everyone just stared at me dumbfounded. I only have KW'17's on the Yaris not a top of the line deep snow winter tire by any means, but they definitley made a difference. Funny thing is the car is so low that snow was scraping the bottom of the car if I drove in the ruts. Again climbing out of the ruts and driving on top in the soft stuff was still no problem.

When will people learn?

Kloubek
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I have winter tires, and consider myself a pretty good driver, and I'm having a heck of a time on my street. The build-up on the sides of the road are 3/4 - 1 1/4 of a foot high. Some is soft, loose snow. And some is hard packed, which keeps your tires from going in the direction you want them to.

Luckily, I understand the concept of rocking the vehicle to get momentum. If I didn't know about this technique, I'd be stuck daily.

Mibz
01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by kenny
There were a few cars stuck today but in their defence the snow formed huge ridges because of the recent warmer weather and this morning they were all frozen.

A few of them were high centered... too bad I was in a rush to get to work or I would've stuck around to help. This. I had to dig my girlfriend out this morning because we had humongous solid ridges that she failed to avoid.

QuasarCav
01-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I've been pulling them out with my Subaru!

dr_jared88
01-14-2009, 10:35 AM
One comment on winter tires. I have been rolling without them because I simply can't get a set. (at least here in Regina) I started searching when I bought my car and there isn't any tires in North America apparently that I can get for my car due to the new laws Quebec enforced.

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I have the same problem. I live in airdrie and the town JUST plowed our street.. too bad I was parked when they did it.. so now there is about 16" of snow beside my car.. even with winters.. I dont have 16" of clearance in my civic.. going to be a bitch to get out.

core_upt
01-14-2009, 10:37 AM
word - drove past a guy I've helped twice already on my street this morning. I'm done helping people with low-pro summer tires get unstuck.

5000Audi
01-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
^ did you at least get a bj?

no lol im married so i cannot do that... i wish...lol

as for me going down these roads its fine i got Quattro so im good..

When those plows did my brother in laws road in willow park.. the snow was about 2 feet high... turned on the diff lock switch and plowed right through it...

ive also pushed a few beaters and trucks with my car also this winter.. they just look at me funny when a car is pushing a truck outta the snow...

ExtraSlow
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
I blame it on the city a well, they can't clear roads for shit.
The City doesn't even attempt to clear off anything but main roads and bus routes. At most they'll spread some gravel or salt. That's a deliberate strategy, not poor performance.

However, even the main roads aren't very good.

I did read an article that City Hall is studying contracting out street snow removal to private companies. I say this can't happen soon enough. Deerfoot is in far better shape since Carmacks started taking care of it.

Redlyne_mr2
01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
I have winter tires and a light car that pretty much never gets stuck. Well guess what? I got stuck last night, the car fell into sort of a hole and wouldnt budge. I left the car in the middle of the road and went in for dinner, i was so frustrated. After dinner I came out and tried the rocking method, didnt work, took some air out and got a push while rocking.. finally got it out.. so annoying.

adam c
01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

The City doesn't even attempt to clear off anything but main roads and bus routes. At most they'll spread some gravel or salt. That's a deliberate strategy, not poor performance.

However, even the main roads aren't very good.

I did read an article that City Hall is studying contracting out street snow removal to private companies. I say this can't happen soon enough. Deerfoot is in far better shape since Carmacks started taking care of it.

which bus routes? my street has a bus route and it's slipperiest road i drive on, it's the only road i spin my tires on and get tossed around cause of the stupid ruts

ExtraSlow
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
They attempt to clear bus routes, but I agree they do a pretty poor job of it sometimes.

5G_celica
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
hahahha.. Ive spent the past 3 weeks in vancouver pushing and towing people out.. I know how you feel, after a couple times of pushing preludes and mustangs out you start telling them, stay the f@ck home and stop getting in my way

birchy
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd just like to say that the actual "snowplows" here are laughable compared to the ones in the east coast!

This whole "plow underneath the truck and in the MIDDLE" business is foolishness!

We had something more like this back home in Nova Scotia:

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/mdt/images/snowplow.jpg

*quick edit* In all fairness.. I did see ONE similar to the one in the picture drive by the other day..

Mr_ET
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
This city is by far the worst city I have been in for snow removal. The street in front of my house has not been plowed once this winter and we had like 4 people stuck yesterday. I am sitting in my living room and sometimes hear a car rev over and over for no reason.

Look outside and it's someone stuck. My Fit is light and has snow tires and I have not had any issues anywhere.

It's all about good tires and adapting your driving to whatever the road conditions look like.

Destinova403
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
i have good winter tires and iv been having a hell of a time as well, i cant imagine that all this extra snow is going to help at all either

well see what happens... not stuck yet *touches wood*

kenny
01-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Calgary Snow removal is limited to major routes, they do not plow most residential streets (unless of course its a bus route).

Vancouver — $400,000
Calgary — $21 million
Edmonton — $49 million
Ottawa — $66 million
Toronto — $67 million
Montreal — $128 million

Yearly snow removal budget for comparison. I'm willing to bet when the city proposes to increase the snow removal budget people will be up in arms complaining about taxes going up.

Snow removal isn't free. Do we really want to spend an extra $40M a year just to deal with abnormal snowfall? We normally don't get as much snow as we did this early in winter.

alloroc
01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Calgary Snow removal is limited to major routes, they do not plow most residential streets (unless of course its a bus route).

Vancouver — $400,000
Calgary — $21 million
Edmonton — $49 million
Ottawa — $66 million
Toronto — $67 million
Montreal — $128 million

Yearly snow removal budget for comparison. I'm willing to bet when the city proposes to increase the snow removal budget people will be up in arms complaining about taxes going up.

Snow removal isn't free. Do we really want to spend an extra $40M a year just to deal with abnormal snowfall? We normally don't get as much snow as we did this early in winter.

Interesting ..
How many daily drivers are there in calgary and how much would it cost to equip them all with snow tires?

adam c
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
usually edmonton roads are way worse than calgary but i find it the opposite this year

Mibz
01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Do we really want to spend an extra $40M a year just to deal with abnormal snowfall? We normally don't get as much snow as we did this early in winter. No, which is exactly why I agree with the proposal of a "Snow Day" fund used to hire private companies to do it for us on the chance that it hits.

G-ZUS
01-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I have winter tires, and consider myself a pretty good driver, and I'm having a heck of a time on my street. The build-up on the sides of the road are 3/4 - 1 1/4 of a foot high. Some is soft, loose snow. And some is hard packed, which keeps your tires from going in the direction you want them to.

Luckily, I understand the concept of rocking the vehicle to get momentum. If I didn't know about this technique, I'd be stuck daily.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I have winter tires and a light car that pretty much never gets stuck. Well guess what? I got stuck last night, the car fell into sort of a hole and wouldnt budge. I left the car in the middle of the road and went in for dinner, i was so frustrated. After dinner I came out and tried the rocking method, didnt work, took some air out and got a push while rocking.. finally got it out.. so annoying.

:werd: soo many people got stuck on our street yesterday we called the city out to shovel it and they sent 3 guys with hand shovels

7thgenvic
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
driving in this loose snow is a pain in the ass. I think I prefer the nice cold compact snow because it makes winter tires worth the investment

black13
01-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Ugh, aside from my residential street the roads are ok but would it really cost that much more to plow the residential streets as well?
They don't even have to do it right away, It's been at least two months with this snow there and numerous cars, including my soarer have been stuck.
Would it really cost more than $5 per house to plow their street? Heck if I had a truck I'd plow my own street daily for free.

adam c
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
isn't it $21 or $41 more on your yearly taxes to have all the streets plowed/sanded/graveled/anythinged?

Kona9
01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I always have my tow strap in my truck. I have used it on some major roadways (when safe) and helped people avoid big bucks to the tow company. I would say 1 or more vehicles a week I have pulled out of meridians and deep side street curb snow.

Two nights ago I decided I would drive the 5 blocks to get some McDicks. I spotted an F-150 stuck and two middle aged men were trying with no success to get it moving. I offered my truck and strap to help them. It took no effort from my truck and I didn't even get a thank you! Pretty dis-heartening when one can't even say thanks in a situation like that! He literally just drove away.

Mckenzie
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I got driven off the dry-ish pavement yesterday morning by a truck who I was not about to play chicken with and spent 40 mins shovelling my way down the street to get my car on the sidewalk where there was traction. I tried to help out my neighbour this morning but we could not get it out...there was like 8-12" of frozen slush and the shovel could not get under the car. I phoned the city but I am guessing nothing will happen there as they are getting tons of complaints. The only thing that will work is snow removal (like out east) as a plow will just make the streets worse by piling up the snow in the curb lane again. :dunno:

shanxk8
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
What would be the problem with putting extra money in the budget "in case" we get abnormal amounts of snow.* Or plowing more streets when the snow is around for a long time & builds up. It would have been pretty easy to plow most of the side streets yesterday (or tomorrow) with all that soft snow, the stuff that people are getting stuck in and trown around by.

*i think the problem with that is that our politicians would just spend that money of other "important things" if it wasn't needed to clear roads, instead of carrying it over to the next year.

One would think that the insurance companies would be pushing cities to improve their snow removal. Businesses should also be screaming about the loss of productivity.

Originally posted by adam c
isn't it $21 or $41 more on your yearly taxes to have all the streets plowed/sanded/graveled/anythinged?
I'd pay 20 or 40 bucks more for my street to be plowed. (I have the ~1ft deep ruts right now as well.

Shanx

Kloubek
01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Two nights ago I decided I would drive the 5 blocks to get some McDicks. I spotted an F-150 stuck and two middle aged men were trying with no success to get it moving. I offered my truck and strap to help them. It took no effort from my truck and I didn't even get a thank you! Pretty dis-heartening when one can't even say thanks in a situation like that! He literally just drove away.

That's pretty shitty Kona. You're regularly trying to help people out, and some act like they could care less. I can imagine how it would be disheartening!

I answer a LOT of emails in my job, and I guess I receive the same sort of thing. Some people just don't seem to appreciate when I go out of my way to help them. On the other hand, some truly do. And when I find those people, it makes the shitty ones a little more acceptable. :)

Weapon_R
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

This is exactly why I never let trucks into my lane or stop to help them. 99% of truck drivers act like that.

Eleanor
01-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by adam c
No, it's not worth it.

Welcome to Alberta where people want the government to do everything but they don't want to pay for it.

Kona9
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

That's pretty shitty Kona. You're regularly trying to help people out, and some act like they could care less. I can imagine how it would be disheartening!

I answer a LOT of emails in my job, and I guess I receive the same sort of thing. Some people just don't seem to appreciate when I go out of my way to help them. On the other hand, some truly do. And when I find those people, it makes the shitty ones a little more acceptable. :)

Sure it is dis-heartening, but Karma is powerful! Hence why I care to an extent, but all in all, fuck em'! He will be in a position where he needs help and won't get it.

zipdoa
01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Quadra-trac FTMFW!!!

MKR89
01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Fuck, my car is winterized, I dont get stuck but I sure can't drive through some residential places. I went to drop off a date in evergreen and I couldnt even get to her to the driveway of her house because the fucking slush mounds that freeze up are so high and cant go over, or around them! City needs to get some fucking trucks plowing some of this shit in residential areas IMO.
It's not like my car is all that low either, but when I drive in the tracks of other people the thing fucking plows the whole center median between tires...

topmade
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
I would blame it mostly on poor driving skills. Snow tires won't help if you think your civic will perform like a 4x4. I've helped plenty of people and most of them sit there and floor it thinking that will help. I've gotten many people out by telling them to get out of the car and let me drive and I'll rock it back and forth to get them out. The residential roads are terrible right now and you have to make sure you carry enough speed to get you where you need to go. Just yesterday in Hawkwood I drove past a few cars stuck but couldn't really help because I needed to get somewhere and I had my two kids in the car, but most of not all of them where either trying to get into their driveways or leaving and that is where they get stuck. All they have to do is look around for cars and when the coast is clear give it enough gas so you can get to the center of the road pointed to the right direction and it should be good to go.

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
*touches wood*

Who didnt catch this?

I dont touch wood.

hedge
01-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by topmade
I would blame it mostly on poor driving skills. Snow tires won't help if you think your civic will perform like a 4x4. I've helped plenty of people and most of them sit there and floor it thinking that will help. I've gotten many people out by telling them to get out of the car and let me drive and I'll rock it back and forth to get them out.

agreed, I tried to give someone a push the other day but got sick of them fighting me and having no idea how to rock their car. I offered to get in and drive it out but they weren't having it... so I left.

Kennyredline
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by black13
Ugh, aside from my residential street the roads are ok but would it really cost that much more to plow the residential streets as well?
They don't even have to do it right away, It's been at least two months with this snow there and numerous cars, including my soarer have been stuck.
Would it really cost more than $5 per house to plow their street? Heck if I had a truck I'd plow my own street daily for free.

If they plow residential streets too, how will they be able to afford the 5% raise they just gave themselves?

core_upt
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
the outcries of mismanaged budgets when the city raises taxes to plow every street and it doesn't snow.... I can hear them now.

The city hardly sees this much snow, so fucking deal with it. If you want to pay $40/month to have your street plowed, rally your neighbours and hire a private contractor.

The city keeps main roads clear first, then residential bus routes. After that, you're on your own.

How effectively can the city even plow a small side street when there are cars parked all over it? Around my area, there are cars BURIED by city plows (33rd st, 37 st, 29st SW). I'd be more pissed if my driveway was blocked in, or worse my car, because i parked there while the plow went by.

Maybe the next cry from the 'do it all, pay for none' crown will be for the city to stop the snow all together.

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Now on the news the city is asking people to stop calling 311 to complain about snow on residential roads!

I don't think it's reasonable to raise taxes to cover off snow removal on residential streets. It's rare that Calgary gets this much snow accumulation. Usually it snows / melts / snows / melts so this isn't an issue.

max_boost
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
hehe

AWD + Snow tires FTW

shanxk8
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Now on the news the city is asking people to stop calling 311 to complain about snow on residential roads!

I don't think it's reasonable to raise taxes to cover off snow removal on residential streets. It's rare that Calgary gets this much snow accumulation. Usually it snows / melts / snows / melts so this isn't an issue.
Usually doesn't really apply now does it? The city usually doesn't get flooding, should they have done "the usual" when the rivers are flooding the city?
This is unusual circumstances, which would suggest something other than the "usual" response.

Shanx

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by shanxk8

Usually doesn't really apply now does it? The city usually doesn't get flooding, should they have done "the usual" when the rivers are flooding the city?
This is unusual circumstances, which would suggest something other than the "usual" response.

Shanx

This is sig worthy.

I totally agree, although I do understand that there are a LOT of residential streets.. the city probably should have had a plan of attack..

alloroc
01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

This is sig worthy.

I totally agree, although I do understand that there are a LOT of residential streets.. the city probably should have had a plan of attack..
They do. ... The 'usual plan'

Wait for spring.

Aleks
01-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't understand how residential areas are not plowed yet. It's been weeks since the that big snow dump. :dunno:

Trini
01-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Who didnt catch this?

I dont touch wood.

it's a saying, it could be said "knocks on wood"
here is a better explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocking_on_wood

whiskas
01-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Who didnt catch this?

I dont touch wood.

I passionately caress wood.

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Trini

it's a saying, it could be said "knocks on wood"
here is a better explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocking_on_wood

I knew what he meant, but he didnt word it that way.

There is a big difference between knocking and touching.

Eleanor
01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Gay

:D

japan_us
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I don't understand how residential areas are not plowed yet. It's been weeks since the that big snow dump. :dunno:

From calgary.ca

Will The City of Calgary plow the snow on residential streets?

Highest priorities are assigned to arterial roadways and major collectors with traffic volumes exceeding 10,000 vehicles per day, designated emergency routes and known trouble spots. Next, in order of priority, are collectors and bus routes, school and playground zones, stop/yield signs, and designated hills and curves.

I've seen tons of school and playground zones that have inches worth of packed snow and ice.

I wouldn't be waiting up for the plows to come through if I were you.

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Gay

:D

You mean considerate.

alloroc
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

I guess a man has to do what a man has to do. Especially if it is his own wood.

heavyD
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM

I wish they would concentrate more on snow removal than dropping gravel and salt every evening on bare road at every intersection. Calgary's answer to snow removal has always been to just dump gravel and more gravel and wait for the chinook.

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I wish they would concentrate more on snow removal than dropping gravel and salt every evening on bare road at every intersection. Calgary's answer to snow removal has always been to just dump gravel and more gravel and wait for the chinook.

I agree but I have an addition.. If the city pays for damages on cars.. say if.. there was a sign in the middle of deerfoot and the city knew, didnt pick it up and someone smoked it. They pay for the damage right?

How about they pay for a new windshield then? Since I've had about 10,000,000,000 rocks hit it the last month.. the city knew they were there.. that is fucking neglect! Not cleaning up all the rocks.. tsk tsk calgary.

riceeater
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
i say the city should cover all the roads so no rain or snow ever gets on the road, so no one needs to learn how to drive or get snow tires :thumbsup: why adapt the way you drive to the weather when you can bitch and demand that someone else does something about it??

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Exactly.

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Shanx

To explain further, I don't think it's a good idea to raise taxes every year to account for something that happens once every ten years. I think it's a better idea to have the general population learn how to drive and properly winterize their OWN vehicles instead of asking the taxpayer to provide enough money to plow ever single street in the city.

Infusion
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I usually don't stuck in the snow and have winter tires but the last couple of days I seem to be getting stuck more often I couldn't get out my alleyway that is right beside my house and was a few mins late for an exam.

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 04:42 PM

To explain further, I don't think it's a good idea to raise taxes every year to account for something that happens once every ten years. I think it's a better idea to have the general population learn how to drive and properly winterize their OWN vehicles instead of asking the taxpayer to provide enough money to plow ever single street in the city.

Even with Brand new winter tires, and decent speed, I still get stuck in front of my house all the time. The street is rediculous.

Also, im not a bad driver. I speed too much, but other than that.

GQBalla
01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I got stuck once (*knock on wood*) before all this slushy stuff.

at my GF's house she lives on this big hill that is never plowed and yeah gets pretty slippery. This year i saw the city plow it ONCE.

all year its horrendous my car is plowing the slush all over ahaha sounds painful inside though

Tarrantula
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
sounds painful inside though

I hate the sound of ice/snow grinding against the undercarriage... It makes me cringe.

heavyD
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM

I know how to drive (over 20 years driving no accidents), have winter tires so how am I to prevent getting high centered in front of my house because that's what happened to me this morning. I can't avoid driving home because that's where I live but the road snow is higher than the sidewalk on streets around my house only 4x4's can get around on my street for crying out loud.

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 04:59 PM

I know how to drive (over 20 years driving no accidents), have winter tires so how am I to prevent getting high centered in front of my house because that's what happened to me this morning. I can't avoid driving home because that's where I live but the road snow is higher than the sidewalk on streets around my house only 4x4's can get around on my street for crying out loud.

Own a (winter) vehicle that's a little more appropriate for winter driving? This is Canada after all.

Abeo
01-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't understand how Calgary has 1/3 the snow removal budget of Ottawa, but has 1/10th the level of service...

Calgary - Plow the major roads whenever. Use gravel, from a city owned quarry.
Ottawa - Down to bare pavement on major roads within 12-24h, residential streets within 48h, sidewalks cleared before roads, city must purchase salt, and snow is removed from all of the downtown roads if the banks get too high. Geographically larger than Calgary.

something is fishy here...

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
I don't understand how Calgary has 1/3 the snow removal budget of Ottawa, but has 1/10th the level of service...

Calgary - Plow the major roads whenever. Use gravel, from a city owned quarry.
Ottawa - Down to bare pavement on major roads within 12-24h, residential streets within 48h, sidewalks cleared before roads, city must purchase salt, and snow is removed from all of the downtown roads if the banks get too high. Geographically larger than Calgary.

something is fishy here...

First off, Ottawa gets A LOT more snow than we do. And it's often of the wet, heavy variety.

Next, a quick look at the property tax rates in Ottawa and you'll have your answer! My brother in law lives there and the snow removal is better than here but he pays a little more than DOUBLE of what I do here for a house that is worth about 65% of mine.

Masked Bandit
01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Double post

psycoticclown
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
It's worse out here in Lethbridge. Especially in my neighborhood, brand new out of the way community, I have only seen the snow plows out here once the entire winter. We have 2 traffic circles with over a foot of snow in them. Good thing I have a subie :D

Abeo
01-14-2009, 05:25 PM

First off, Ottawa gets A LOT more snow than we do. And it's often of the wet, heavy variety.

Next, a quick look at the property tax rates in Ottawa and you'll have your answer! My brother in law lives there and the snow removal is better than here but he pays a little more than DOUBLE of what I do here for a house that is worth about 65% of mine.

So Ottawa gets more snow. I agree. Higher taxes, I also agree. But I have a problem with the level of service in Calgary, where there is 33% of the snow removal budget... and absolute shit in terms of what they get done. I don't think the funds that are getting spent on snow removal are going to the right places, they can do way better on the budget they have.

rice_balls
01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Wasn't it on the news when we had the first dump of snow that the city was understaffed for removing snow? I think from what i remember about half of their trucks are just sitting there because they don't have any drivers for them.

kenny
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Property Tax Rates
Calgary Ottawa

Residential - 0.005461400 - 0.013745300
Commercial - 0.011947270 - 0.045249120
Industrial - 0.013745300 - 0.048553600

More tax revenue means they can afford more equipment, more snow disposal sites, and more workers. In 2004 when citizens were last asked if taxes should increase to improve the snow removal system, 70% voted no.

The city also can't find enough drivers for the equipment but hopefully in this recession and the numerous layoffs, they'll be able to hire some :P

EDIT:

Just did some more digging since I'm curious if Calgary's snow removal really is shitty. Compared to Ottawa, Calgary has 1/3 of the budget, but they maintain an area that is twice as large (Calgary 5080 sqkm vs Ottawa 2700sqkm).

I'm guessing this is because the cities around Ottawa have their own snow removal budgets. If we add them all up, perhaps their total budget would be about 10x as large as Calgary's thus explaining why their service is about 10x as good.

Source: http://www.ec.gc.ca/nopp/roadsalt/cStudies/en/ottawa.cfm

Abeo
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
More tax revenue means they can afford more equipment, more snow disposal sites, and more workers.
The city also can't find enough drivers for the equipment but hopefully in this recession and the numerous layoffs, they'll be able to hire some :P

I'm not talking about how they get their money, but how the snow removal services spends it...

And yeah, I guess it is hard to find someone to drive a plow when you can do the same for huge money (comparatively) up north... but the city planners still need to plan, it snows every year and there should be contingency plans in any case

kenny
01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah we really need a snowy day fund here to deal with crazy snow accumulation like we had this winter.

birchy
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by rice_balls
Wasn't it on the news when we had the first dump of snow that the city was understaffed for removing snow? I think from what i remember about half of their trucks are just sitting there because they don't have any drivers for them.

Yes it was. I remember it vividly now that you mention it!

heavyD
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Own a (winter) vehicle that's a little more appropriate for winter driving? This is Canada after all.

Why? I got stuck. I'm not complaining about it I'm just stating that sometimes shit happens and I'm not going to get a vehicle appropriate for snow accumulation that we haven't seen for years. My MR2 is appropriate for me because as I said before I'm a good driver. People with Civic's and Neons were getting pushed on my street as well in fact I get better traction than most of those cars with winter tires. When the street has three feet high snow piles the law of physics outweighs driver skill or winterized vehicles.

Xtrema
01-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

So Ottawa gets more snow. I agree. Higher taxes, I also agree. But I have a problem with the level of service in Calgary, where there is 33% of the snow removal budget... and absolute shit in terms of what they get done. I don't think the funds that are getting spent on snow removal are going to the right places, they can do way better on the budget they have.

Ottawa: 2,778.64 km2 (Metro: 5,318.36 km2 which I don't think the budget covers, I may be wrong)

Calgary: 5,107.43 km2

Does this answer your question? 3x the cost, 1/2 the area to cover. Of course they got it good.

syeve
01-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Why? I got stuck. I'm not complaining about it I'm just stating that sometimes shit happens and I'm not going to get a vehicle appropriate for snow accumulation that we haven't seen for years. My MR2 is appropriate for me because as I said before I'm a good driver. People with Civic's and Neons were getting pushed on my street as well in fact I get better traction than most of those cars with winter tires. When the street has three feet high snow piles the law of physics outweighs driver skill or winterized vehicles.

Yah, I agree. I don't really get this thread, there is a lot of snow, pretty simple. My mom's IS350 got stuck, should she sell it and buy a jeep?

As far as snow removal, unless you guys are paying property taxes stfu :D

ExtraSlow
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Ottawa also gets money from the Feds for soemthing like the "federal capital", which goes towards keeping it nice and pretty.

So it's not just municipal taxes paying for it.

Aleks
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I got stuck again last night. Now my car doesn't have the plastic cover under the engine anymore :banghead:

Last night on the news the city official said they have a black and white policy on residential streets. They dont clear them ever.

I was hoping another 70 cm would fall in the next few days that would make things pretty interesting.

Xtrema
01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I was hoping another 70 cm would fall in the next few days that would make things pretty interesting.

Everybody will have flooded basements the next few days, so it WILL be interesting.

alloroc
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Let the wife drive the Subbie the last few days so I have the Yaris.

Still haven't had many problems. I did have do do a quick forward and back this morning as it felt like I was about to dig in but I but I was no where near stuck. I can only guess why I have had any trouble is that the Yaris is so light it sits on top and doesn't sink in as fas as other cars might. In three days this will all be gone anyway.

alloroc
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Everybody will have flooded basements the next few days, so it WILL be interesting.

Only if the sewers back up or the water goes in a window die to bad landscaping. The ground is still frozen so I doubt any standing will will sink into foundations.

01RedDX
01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

shanxk8
01-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Ottawa: 2,778.64 km2 (Metro: 5,318.36 km2 which I don't think the budget covers, I may be wrong)

Calgary: 5,107.43 km2

Does this answer your question? 3x the cost, 1/2 the area to cover. Of course they got it good.

I think you should check your figures and compare the same things

Calgary:
Area [2]
- City 726.50 km2 (280.5 sq mi)
- Metro 5,107.43 km2 (1,972 sq mi)
Calgary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary)_
Ottawa:
Area [1][2]
- City 2,778.64 km2 (1,072.9 sq mi)
- Metro 5,318.36 km2 (2,053.4 sq mi)
Ottawa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa)

I don't claim to know what wikipedia defines as City & Metro, but my guess that City is the city limits. And i'm pretty sure that Calgary doesn't clear roads outside the city limit (& same for Ottawa).
Either way we're getting screwed in Calgary. The city sure knows how to spend our money

Xtrema
01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't claim to know what wikipedia defines as City & Metro, but my guess that City is the city limits. And i'm pretty sure that Calgary doesn't clear roads outside the city limit (& same for Ottawa).
Either way we're getting screwed in Calgary. The city sure knows how to spend our money

Calgary is a different animal. We don't do Metro. A typical city with land mass size of Calgary in the east would have 5 city halls with 5 different budgets.

Either way, go to google map and do a side by side of both cities and you'll see what I mean. Ottawa is smaller than our NE and NW combined.

TDFTW
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
I do deliveries during the night and I've had to push out cars 25-30 times , I've actually lost count. There is always some car stuck on some street that I need to be on and I am one to help rather than watch but not no more!

I'm watching the next one :D

ExtraSlow
01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Either way, go to google map and do a side by side of both cities and you'll see what I mean. Ottawa is smaller than our NE and NW combined.
Verfied. In terms of land area, Calgary appears larger than Ottawa and Hull put together.
The real test would be to find the total number of KM's of streets within the city boundaries, but I'm not sure where to lay my hands on that statistic.

l/l/rX
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
i get stuck every time i get into/ leave my circle. its like a foot - foot and a half of loose snow. always have to leave my car in the middle of the street for a few minutes to walk home and get a shovel.
I should take the wrx out and do like 15 laps around my circle and i wonder if that'll help at all.

I dug out the UPS man on monday and my mom on the same day at an earlier time. soo many cars get stuck in my block.

3g4u
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Jeep FTW.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/articlestandard/jeep/512005/261039/dsc000509.jpg

alloroc
01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Or this ..
Total Km of roads
Calgary 4,491km and we know how they are maintained and the costs.

Ottawa maintains over 5,500 kilometres of roads spread over an area of 2,760 km2. Approximately 90% of the population resides within the urban core area, which represents 8.3% of the City's territory (230 km2). Each winter, the City disposes of, on average, over 1,500,000 m3 of snow.

Tarrantula
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u
Jeep FTL.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/articlestandard/jeep/512005/261039/dsc000509.jpg

As long as you dont turn. Wouldnt want to tip into a big pile of snow.

gretz
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
jeeps are the worst in icy, windy field roads. Literally 4 tj's in the same ditch, on the same stretch of road near bragg creek on the way to louise on Saturday - (and one 4x4 dakota)

kinda funny

adam c
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
you guys do realize that when they say ottawa, they really mean ottawa-gatineau which are 2 cities

every stat i have shows that and not just ottawa, so 2 cities with budgets

3g4u
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by gretz
jeeps are the worst in icy, windy field roads. Literally 4 tj's in the same ditch, on the same stretch of road near bragg creek on the way to louise on Saturday - (and one 4x4 dakota)

kinda funny

lol I know what your saying, I make sure i update my will every time i drive my Jeep up to my cabin in crowsnest pass. But I have never driven a more suitable vehicle for snowy city driving besides maby the H2 just because it is so heavy and plows over anything.:D