PDA

View Full Version : brakes are pulsing when coming to a stop

nagooro
01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Could it be the rotors that need to be replaced?

Toms-SC
01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Warped. Replace or machine them.

Jayson
01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Warped. Replace or machine them.

You better take it in as soon as you can...

I didn't take mine in soon enough and i had to replace mine

bigboom
01-14-2009, 11:15 AM
ABS? :D

gretz
01-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
ABS? :D

good call for sure - do they pulse all the time?

Kloubek
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
The feel of ABS pulsing and warped rotors are totally different. Both good calls by users on here, and I would say it is one or the other with 99.5% accuracy.

Do you notice this ONLY when coming to a stop, or do you notice it slowing down on say, the highway?

If the former, I would suggest ABS may be the issue, OR rotors. If the latter, then it's almost definitely just the rotors.

If it's the ABS, you should usually hear an accompanying low (almost grating) mechanical sound coinciding with the pulsing, along with vibration in the pedal.

With rotors, everything will appear and sound fine, except with the pulsing in the pedal and perhaps a bit of body vibration.

scat19
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
In agreement, warped rotors.

Might have to replace your pads too if you have a machined/new rotor, so the braking surface is even again.

Mind you, with bimmers, you have to replace pads/rotors same time anyways.

zipdoa
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
ABS: grinding like noise with random ERRRRRRRs and loss of pedal travel
warped rotors: the car/wheel will shake when slowing down, also may experience a WHUM WHUM WHUM WHUM WHUM sound.

dr_jared88
01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Most likely warped rotors. You should be able to tell the difference between abs and warped rotors as they feel totally different. It the pulse slows down as the vehicle slows down then its a warped rotor.

Mr_ET
01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
For the price that new rotors go for I would buy new instead of getting the old ones machined but I agree with everyone else.

nagooro
01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am quite sure its warped rotors judging by the descriptions of abs vs a warped rotor.

Anyone know approx. how much it costs to get the rotors replaced?

bart
01-14-2009, 02:10 PM
you can feel warped brakes at high speed, your steering wheel will shake left and right if they are warped. at low speed, or coming to a stop, i dont think you can feel warped brakes.

if your brake pedal is pulsating then its your abs. check for bent speed sensor ring, or just bad speed sensor.

bigboom
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
by your description of coming to a stop thats most llikely your ABS. You will be able to feel warped rotors at any time you step on your brakes not just when coming to a stop.

chkolny541
01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
new rotors:thumbsup:

hedge
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I had a pulse in my brakes that was only evident when the wipers were turned on. Turned out the abs and the wipers were using the same speed sensor and it was somehow causing the pulse in the pedal.

nagooro
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I will pay more attention to the pulsing on my drive home today. The times I really notice it is when I am going 90+, and I begin slowing down. As soon as I apply the brakes I can feel it pulsating, and it continues until the car is completely stopped.

Sorry if the thread title or my replys are coming off a little confusing.

Generic
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
weird i have the same problem. My brakes and rotors look fine too, but it definitely feels warped, when i brake hard my steering wheel shakes and a loud pulsing/rubbing sound comes from the rear. And it comes from the rear end! Its definitely not my ABS.

birchy
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by nagooro
I will pay more attention to the pulsing on my drive home today. The times I really notice it is when I am going 90+, and I begin slowing down. As soon as I apply the brakes I can feel it pulsating, and it continues until the car is completely stopped.

Based on that, it's most likely warped rotors. As others have said..

G-ZUS
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
For the price that new rotors go for I would buy new instead of getting the old ones machined but I agree with everyone else.

:werd: brake rotors are cheap

Thanks for all the feedback. I am quite sure its warped rotors judging by the descriptions of abs vs a warped rotor.

Anyone know approx. how much it costs to get the rotors replaced?

The rotors are like 30 bucks each, what kindo f car is it?

Definately your rotors

Originally posted by birchy

:werd:

Kloubek
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by birchy

Yup. Rotors for sure.

You have a choice OP. You can get them machined for maybe half the cost of new rotors. If they already have been machined, or if the warp is too bad, it may not be possible.

Additionally, if the rotors warped due to low quality or very aggressive driving, it will likely happen again some time down the road. In that case, a new set might be your best bet anyway.

nagooro
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
It's a 2001 celica. Thanks for all the help guys. Going to take the car in tomorrow.