PDA

View Full Version : Screw Secret Street...

Maxt
10-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Went down to Secret street, all intent on running my car down the track a couple of times, but I hit a hurdle...
I have my battery relocated to the rear storage bin, for those that don't know the Gen2 7, its a fliptop bin behind the seats about 14" deep 18 wide and 16 long or so..
I have an optima gell cell mounted in there with a hurculean steel mount, the rubber plugs have been pulled to vent the box, which doesn't really matter because its a sealed battery anyway..
But the tech inspector guy got his knickers in a knot over it "being in the drivers compartment", he says it has to be under the hood or in the trunk, sorry but rx-7's don't have a trunk, he says because my car is a hatch back the entire cabin is called the drivers compartment, no gray area to him, even though its in the bin, which has a locking plastic cover over it anyway, but , he says if I put it in a metal box, then it would be ok, if mounted behind the speaker pod, but wait a minute, he just said that was part of the drivers compartment, which is what he was saying was the problem, not the enclosure, he said there was no gray area, and now there is, to subjective to me...I don't get the point of secret street, invite street cars to the track, check for valid insurance and registration, and then scrutinize the cars to NHRA drag car rules? where the hell is the logic in that, the funny thing is, is that equipment sanctioned by the NHRA, really isn't legal on the street, Nhra approved equipment doesn't have to be DOT, just sfi, and alot of cops will bust you for non DOT equipment...
Alot of the cars that went through that tech were total shitboxes, or dedicated drag cars, with no licenceplate or insurance, but the rules for secret street don't seem to apply there.hmm...Some cars didn't even have to lift the hood, they got just waived through...
I don't have a battery kill switch, and I am not about to hack up my car to put one, that wasn't the point of the argument,as the tech nazi missed that one altogether..
I think in the end this guy was just asserting himself as chief DICK, give a little man a little power, and watch him turn into a large asshole... screw secret street.. screw the NHRA... ok rant done.....
Another tech inspector happened to look at it afterward, and said he probably would've passed it, by that time I had enough of the bullshit and went home...My car can pass a write off inspection with flying colours for mechanical fitness, but doesn't please the pinheads at race city I guess..Maxt

kenny
10-04-2003, 02:28 AM
Yeah I always thought Race City was a bit retarded, they market Secret Street (well back then when it started) as an alternative to street racing, but they turn away so many cars so they can race on the street on a lot of technicalities. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

rx7_turbo2
10-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Those guy's are dipshits plain and simple. They don't know fuck all about anything import car related. I can't tell you how many times I or someone else has corrected some dumbass comment they've made about some irrelevant aspect of the car. They seem to pull this battery bullshit the most often, and NO ONE from Race City has ever explained the reasoning behind it. Other than to say "well it's the NHRA rules"

I think your right Max, give little people an ounce of power and look what happens.

rage2
10-04-2003, 09:22 AM
What's funny is that's a NHRA rule, and they're not sanctioned this year at all by any drag racing associations.

At bud park, they pass cars with relocated batteries that vent to the driver compartment, no kill switch, loose, etc :). They just tell 'em to fix it for next time.

Oh yea, and they're pricks to the import crowd. They let the domestics get away with anything there.

Alpine Autowerks
10-04-2003, 09:44 AM
lots of german cars have the battery under the rear passenger seat with a normal hold down and a vent hose. most of the time the vent hose is not used because the proper battery is a little more expensive. they are not enclosed by anything except for a plastic flap over the positive post so it will not short against the seat springs.

ecstasyracer
10-04-2003, 03:37 PM
I think they are pricks even more to rx-7's. Last time I raced there they did pass my car but were telling me some bullshit that if I run under a 14.5 I need scatter shields all over the engine bay. Just because its a rotary engine. :thumbsdow

Joe Malms
10-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ecstasyracer
if I run under a 14.5 I need scatter shields all over the engine bay. Just because its a rotary engine. :thumbsdow

what an absolute crock of shit
lol
my lord are they ever morons for saying that.

method
10-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Way to "get street racers off the street"

guess what... times are changing, and more 'street racers' are driving import cars. So how can you be helping a situation if you're being a dickhead to import owners? Way to go. No wonder that place is in danger of going out of business.

thich
10-04-2003, 11:40 PM
sorta off topic, but why don't we have another race track in Calgary? albeit a smaller one?
what are the operating costs for one?
i'm sure the actual construction is expensive but...

mebbe someone should buy them out... *crosses fingers*

kenny
10-05-2003, 12:53 AM
Operating costs are probably pretty damn expensive considering the price of insurance. Calgary is not big enough to have two race tracks.

Team_Mclaren
10-05-2003, 12:56 AM
may be someone can buy them out....
(Beyond Motorsport speedway)!!!

ryder_23
10-05-2003, 12:58 AM
^
:werd:
that would be awsome
20$ track days :rofl:
all volunteer operated....:rolleyes:

sandman
10-05-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
may be someone can buy them out....
(Beyond Motorsport speedway)!!! thas a wicked idea, so when do we collectively start selling drugs to make this happen????? :D jk
thatd b fuckin nuts tho, :bigpimp:

Toma
10-05-2003, 06:03 AM
They are fucking bafoons for some of the bullshit they pull just to be heros. A friend of mine has a letter FROM NHRA TECH in the US....the main guys, that says he CAN have the optima exposed. They still harrass him EVERY FUCKING time.

That's why I do not tech anymore. NHRA/SFI are a bunch of money grubbing POS. Almost zero to do with safety.

And lease....an alternative to street racing? hahahahahah, they were only capitalizing on the busts, and trying to get free advertising. They could give a rats ass about street racing.

4wheeldrift
10-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by thich
sorta off topic, but why don't we have another race track in Calgary? albeit a smaller one?
what are the operating costs for one?
i'm sure the actual construction is expensive but...

mebbe someone should buy them out... *crosses fingers*

Construction would be extremely expensive, laying pavement is quite costly and laying something you'd want to drive hard on even more so. Bet on costs in the $1000 per metre of pavement range (low estimate) plus the cost of constructing all the necessary support facilities, stands, etc and buying the equipment. And then once you've done all that you have to keep your nice pavement well maintained to keep the track safe to use, you have to look after all the other structures and hire staff to work concessions and to look after day to day operations. And as Kenny said the big one is insurance.

Race City has changed hands a few times over the years, if things start to go down the toilet it will likely change hands again and maybe things will get better.

method
10-05-2003, 04:44 PM
yeah while it doesnt seem like there's much to it, race tracks are STUPID expensive.

rx7_turbo2
10-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Joe Malms

what an absolute crock of shit
lol
my lord are they ever morons for saying that.

Agreed

The guys that run that shit show are major fuck up's. It's the same "good ol boy's" and the same crock of shit everytime. Someome needs to tell them to pull their head out of their ass's. The track is shit most of the time. Nothing but slow times (comparitevly speaking) are run there, and it's not entirely altitude's fault like they would have you believe.

link785
10-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Yeah I always thought Race City was a bit retarded, they market Secret Street (well back then when it started) as an alternative to street racing, but they turn away so many cars so they can race on the street on a lot of technicalities. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

I've been saying that for a long time now. Let people race who want to race. Otherwise, they'll just go back to the street, thereby ruining the entire purpose of Secret Street.

rx7_turbo2
10-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by link785

I've been saying that for a long time now. Let people race who want to race. Otherwise, they'll just go back to the street, thereby ruining the entire purpose of Secret Street.

Well it just shows Race City could care less about what goes on, on the streets. All that should be required is a valid drivers license, valid registration, and valid insurance. That's it.

fast95pony
10-06-2003, 07:21 AM
I have my battery firmly mounted in a Moroso battery box in the trunk of my Mustang. Sometimes it was fine,other times it wasn't because I didn't have a cut off switch. It's a street car ! I'm not putting in a cut off switch so I can go to the track 3 or 4 times a year. I haven't been to Secret Street once this year..

Maxt
10-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I have my battery firmly mounted in a Moroso battery box in the trunk of my Mustang. Sometimes it was fine,other times it wasn't because I didn't have a cut off switch. It's a street car ! I'm not putting in a cut off switch so I can go to the track 3 or 4 times a year. I haven't been to Secret Street once this year..
Yeah thats just it, I am not gonna run my car in any real NHRA sanctioned events ever, secret street is not even an NHRA event, as Rage pointed out.
They use the rule book as sort of a guidline,but the car is roadworthy enough for the street , hopefully the dipshit that teched my car reads this thread, or hears about it form someone, I think he knows how much I respect him, I let that be known to him last Friday...
I was really into the drag racing scene way back when in 1989 or so, till about 1993, I remember now why I got out of it, far to many anal retentive self important assholes to deal with, somethings never change....Maxt

Mike1109
10-07-2003, 04:30 PM
What is all this talk I'm hearing about Secret Street? I'm wondering what it is. Maybe an organized racing league of some sort just an educated guess. Do they have a website I could check out and where are they located...Thanks.

rx7_turbo2
10-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Mike1109
What is all this talk I'm hearing about Secret Street? I'm wondering what it is. Maybe an organized racing league of some sort just an educated guess. Do they have a website I could check out and where are they located...Thanks.

Race City opens it's doors for the public to race friday nights.

www.racecity.com