PDA

View Full Version : My resume needs an overhaul, anyone be able to help me out?

dub_c
01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Found a job I want, but my resume doesn't look to professional.

rumeo
01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm with you buddy, help please!

Cy2k1
01-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Not sure if they'd only accept students. But take it to the University Career Services to be looked at? They'd rip it to shit but in the end it'll be a lot better or at least a starting point.

Pacman
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
what kind of job is it?

Supa Dexta
01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Theres a ton of info online on how to spruce it up.. The biggest thing is keeping it short.. Multi pager's often hit the can before page 2 is skimmed.

Only put on the stuff that makes you look good.. No one cares that you like to play basketball, go for walks in the woods, or won the jr high talent show.. Highlight your schooling and courses that are relevant (ex; I have a cad course, but it was such a shitty course I would never put it on a resume that I know much of anything about it)

And then finally put the jobs that you have spent a god amount of time at, or have a very good reference at...

Don't bullshit too far, because you're screwed if they call you on it, and don't brag yourself up in corny ways about how working hard, is your biggest fault.

em2ab
01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Google did my resume, turned out great. It's about $300 or so, well worth it and came with a cover letter.

Paul@CustomAuto
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
My Fiance works on people's resumes on the side. She is reasonably priced and does a great job. PM me if you would like her to give you a quote. She charges considerably less than $300

bashir26
01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Google did my resume, turned out great. It's about $300 or so, well worth it and came with a cover letter.

$300! Did they at least make you an offer to have them as your reference!

realazy
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/244939/resume-critique/

:repost: Sort of.

Take a gander in there. There is some useful information I posted in there.

Graham_A_M
01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
I dont know, I can probably do it if you guys would trust me with it. I've landed almost every job I applied for.
Basically I was stupid enough a few years ago to go to this resume place downtown, and ended up with (quite honestly) a redo of my resume, that I could have done myself with a Free template off of Google. :banghead: It was great lighting a match to $170, considering the whole resume was saved to a certain document format that was unreadable by everything short of a $300 program I had to buy, so I couldn't change any details, If I wanted to I'd have to pay the resume place to update it for me....not cool. :thumbsdow
So I did my own using a very simular template and have had great luck.

The biggest tip I can give people is to keep it down to one page, and one page alone. Unless there are significant details that need to be mentioned: the shorter the better. Just keep it to the point and leave out all irrelevant garbage such as your hobbies, interests and your pets names, as I hate to say it but they seriously they dont care... ;) It continually blows me away when people fill up multiple pages with stupid shit. It makes them look like a dreamer that really isn't serious about the JOB they're applying for.
If you're concise and to the point that speaks numbers about your work habits and your personaility.
Use extremely highend paper, from Staples or where-ever, but Staples offers many different kinds of high end paper that do wonders for stating your level of interest towards the position available. Textured cream/yellowish paper helps set the tone that you're serious about the job, and want to make a good impression.

Also one thing thats just as important to the actual resume: is the cover letter. Way too many people pass this up as not being as important, when in some instances its just AS important.

Lastly I'd drop it off in person. That means your serious enough to take time out of your day, and be there in person; as in to speak to the HR personelle on a one on one basis, then leave with a good handshake and a follow up call, (one that was stated in the concluding paragraph of the cover letter).
^ All of these make quite an impression.

anyway, if you want I can take a gander at it and offer some suggestions if need be.
Gmonette (at) canada.com
but I'm busier then a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest until Sunday, so I may not get back to you for a while.

em2ab
01-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

$300! Did they at least make you an offer to have them as your reference!

That resume alone put me in a higher bracket of jobs and I ended up getting at least 2 jobs paying 10% more than previously. Made my $300 back first day on the new job so it was worth it for sure. If I knew I was going to get a 10% raise in salary, I'd pay $5000 for it, $300 was a steal.

gqmw
01-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Resumes should be narrowed down to basically a page, putting only important information. I think a previous poster has already said this.

This is very true, you don't want to bore the reader and of course you only put your most outstanding, impressive qualities/experience that will help you land the job.

Career Centre at the UC does a great job, but if I am not mistaken it is for the students.

em2ab
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by gqmw
Resumes should be narrowed down to basically a page, putting only important information. I think a previous poster has already said this.

This is very true, you don't want to bore the reader and of course you only put your most outstanding, impressive qualities/experience that will help you land the job.

Career Centre at the UC does a great job, but if I am not mistaken it is for the students.

Depends on the experience and the job. Starting out it should be a page, mine's 2 pages, my dad's is about 11 pages.

WWJAI
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Depends on the experience and the job. Starting out it should be a page, mine's 2 pages, my dad's is about 11 pages.

I think it should be 2 pages max. 11 pages is way to extreme. Nobody needs to know what you were doing 15 years ago. Just simply state your most current related experience and in your summary/profile you can state the amount of years of experience you have.

Trini
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
^depends on the sort of field you are in I guess.

I know some researchers who have resumes that are well over 5pages due to the fact they have to usually list all the papers and journals they have published for their research etc.

em2ab
01-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

I think it should be 2 pages max. 11 pages is way to extreme. Nobody needs to know what you were doing 15 years ago. Just simply state your most current related experience and in your summary/profile you can state the amount of years of experience you have.
Negative. When applying for a management position with the government they want to know which kind of services you've supported, and what your duties were in each role. At least in my past experience out east.

JCarder
01-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet but if you live in or near Calgary then there are a few places around that will help you out for FREE!

Career Connection is the name of the place where I went.

They are funded through the city or government I can't remember which. They are very helpful and have resources at their office that you can use.... everything from newspapers to internet access for job banks. They will even let you print up to 10 pages per day for free.

At least this way you are not :banghead: after spending $300 to get someone to write something you should be able to do yourself.........

ExtraSlow
01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Paul@CustomAuto
My Fiance works on people's resumes on the side. She is reasonably priced and does a great job. PM me if you would like her to give you a quote. She charges considerably less than $300
Pics? My resume is pretty good, but I might be able to keep her busy for an hour or so . . .

Dumbass17
01-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by dub_c
Found a job I want, but my resume doesn't look to professional.

might want to start on spelling :poosie:

ZorroAMG
01-25-2009, 01:03 PM
That would ACTUALLY be a grammar problem.

Fitting, your username Mr. 17.

Gainsbarre
01-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Go here if you're between the ages of 16 and 24 -- free government support, and the counsellors (when I was there years ago) were very educated and knowledgeable. There's an office in Victoria Park (right across the street from the ENMAX substation).

http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/2138.html

Services Provided:
write and update your résumé and cover letters;
learn to ace job interviews;
access 100's of part-time and full-time job opportunities;
connect one-on-one with a career advisor for job searching and career planning;
complete an interest inventory and plan your future;
connect with industry employers;
conduct a job shadow or work experience;
complete industry training and Bow Valley College e-learning training at no cost;
access to free photocopying, faxing and computers!