PDA

View Full Version : Are you guys cringing like I am?

Neil4Speed
01-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I hate driving on residential roads in my car, I can constantly hear the hardened snow in between the two tire tracks scraping against my car! My car is pretty low, but there are allot of people with even lower cars, how are you managing?

bawlls
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
idk the past couple days i havent had any problems. But once the chinooks stop then I feel ya. this definatly isnt the first thread about this mind you...

n1zm0
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
My car is pretty low, but there are allot of people with even lower cars, how are you managing?

i bought a winter beater :D

if i had my s13 in this shit i would have 1/4 of a bumper left and urethane pieces all over my street lol 'lifted' DA9 with observes is a tank in the snow! (to a certain degree)

vengie
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
cheap ass winter beater ftw!
dosent bother me what happens.
HOWEVER if i were driving my summer car, then yes i would cringe.... but at least the residential streets i drove on would be clear :rofl:

gretz
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM
nothing stops the monster - winter beaters ftw

+1 for s13 urethane pieces :thumbsup:

fcuk_it
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
fuck the bumper on my daily driver car got ripped off yesterday in mount pleasent theres so much snow built up on the roads there...

403ep3
01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
my car is like 3 inches off the ground and it hurts when there is hard snow hitting my midpipe. I hate snow more than speedbumps! :banghead:

xmattx8
01-15-2009, 02:04 PM
+1 for beaters.

Go pick something up for like $500. I bought myself an 85 oldsmobile for 600 bucks and its on its 2nd winter with no problems other then replacing a battery.

hampstor
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't drive on the existing tracks, I drive just next to them on the snow. Try that, then you won't have to worry about bottoming out :)

Eleanor
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Protege beater FTW!

Haven't got stuck once yet either :D

TDFTW
01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
My car is lowered and scrapes over every road, but these old z24 cavaliers are built like tanks.

I've actually pushed 5 cars out of this crap, using my cars front bumper :rofl:

nismodrifter
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Screw beaters, year round it yo. Best idea is to take it really slow. Also as hampstor said, don't drive IN the existing track, if possible try and get one wheel on the center hump that are you are currently hitting and another on the side.

Strong as hell skidplate FTW. It has saved my oilpan a couple times already this year (ie: large chunk of snow falls off a truck mudflap on Deerfoot...can't avoid it etc).

Can't wait for summer.....

barmanjay
01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
jeep ftw!

all I need is one of those lawn tractor snow plows and i can do my side streets,.. LOL

(btw: does anyone have one kickin around ?)

Proyecto2000
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
3 houses on my street cleaned their side walks and dumped all the hard ice chunks on the street and i drove by smashing them with my front bumper. Parked at my house expecting a cracked bumper or paint damage and lucky for me the bumper was intact :clap:

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
STi FTW..

:D

I try to stay out of the grooves, but the cars are parked to close to eachother is hard... and once you get in, its hard to get out.

Thaco
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
i feel my floorboard rumble every time i straddle a fenderberg... but it's nothing compared to the speedbumps in the summer... at least in the winter i can go through the parking lot in my condo complex without scraping over every speedbump.

Eleanor
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Screw beaters, year round it yo.
Hard to do with only two wheels unfortunately :(

I need to move to Arizona.

Aleks
01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Lost my OEM "skid plate" yesterday. Took me 30 min to free the GTI. Stock springs going in tomorrow. Sick of this crap.

szw
01-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I park in an alley where they don't remove the snow and there are a lot of delivery trucks coming through. The trucks make huge tracks that freeze and make it impossible for my car (stock height) to get through. If I try, I keep getting high-centered because the ridges are so high.

It sucks because everytime it snows I have to park in a pay-lot around the corner. I could park on the street for free but I have to leave before 7am and there is a chance snow plows come by and bury my car.

bspot
01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Screw beaters, year round it yo. Best idea is to take it really slow. Also as hampstor said, don't drive IN the existing track, if possible try and get one wheel on the center hump that are you are currently hitting and another on the side.

Strong as hell skidplate FTW. It has saved my oilpan a couple times already this year (ie: large chunk of snow falls off a truck mudflap on Deerfoot...can't avoid it etc).

Can't wait for summer.....

Did you upgrade it? Or just the stock plastic one?

I saw a piece of plastic on the road the other day in the path I was driving on by my place and I'm hoping it wasn't off my car... haha. I know some of the fasteners on my skid plate were missing when I took it off last. I should get a metal one...

LadyLuck
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I got stuck in a snowbank the other day, and ended up ripping my front bumper off :(

a social dsease
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm scraping pretty good on just about every residential street I drive on. :( I have yet to check for damage but it can't be good for the car.

Melinda
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
We were having issues with this on our street too. We have a WRX so we never got stuck, but tons of our neighbours were, and dodging stuck cars while trying to leave our street was brutal. We lucked out though, our street is still in the development phase and has a ton of construction going on. The contractors were wasting so much time digging themselves out after getting stuck, the developer finally paid to have our entire road plowed, and well too. We can still get out of our driveway, they didnt make a mountain of snow along the side of the street. :thumbsup:

Good luck though, some streets are brutal. We were bottoming out in our car and it's stock height. This weekend should bring a lot of it down though, supposed to be +11* tomorrow.

5000Audi
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
quattro owns calgary roads... just getting sick of the car getting thrown around in the grooves... so i usually try and make my own when no cars are around..usually ends up making 4 groves when the cars arnt around...hehe

nismodrifter
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Did you upgrade it? Or just the stock plastic one?

I saw a piece of plastic on the road the other day in the path I was driving on by my place and I'm hoping it wasn't off my car... haha. I know some of the fasteners on my skid plate were missing when I took it off last. I should get a metal one...

The plastic is garbage. If you take a look at the bottom of any VW or Audi while driving around chances are that you'll see the plastic POS hanging on by its last threads.

Me and my bro custom fabbed a metal one for the Jetta. It's indestructable. This is the second winter it's been on and it's taken a bunch of hits....not a dent on it.

Dieselgeek makes some pretty nice ones for VW/Audi applications, I'd look into those if you are interested in getting one. IMO a proper plate is a necessity for anybody driving a dropped VW/Audi on our winter roads.

Better to spend a little now to provide protection instead of being stuck on the side of the road with a trail of oil a mile long in -40 weather.

gretz
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Good luck though, some streets are brutal. We were bottoming out in our car and it's stock height. This weekend should bring a lot of it down though, supposed to be +11* tomorrow.

Shitty, was in the mountains the other day, sooooo much snow - high river is going to flood for sure (again)

like this fairway last spring? - we went boating down it:rofl:

alloroc
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a 3000Lb rated 'hidden hitch' hanging under our Legacy.
Ya'll should thank me because its the car that grades 2" of the middle ridge wherever it goes.

Sorath
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
STi FTW..

:D

I try to stay out of the grooves, but the cars are parked to close to eachother is hard... and once you get in, its hard to get out.

STi is my winter beater lol..

vape
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
my cobalt rips thru snow, haha

rony_espana
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
4x4 truck ftw! :clap:

Doozer
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Stock springs going in tomorrow. Sick of this crap. Don't even bother ... supposed to be + temperatures and even double digits for awhile. The snow will be gone in the time it takes you to swap the springs. :nut:

bspot
01-15-2009, 04:38 PM

The plastic is garbage. If you take a look at the bottom of any VW or Audi while driving around chances are that you'll see the plastic POS hanging on by its last threads.

Me and my bro custom fabbed a metal one for the Jetta. It's indestructable. This is the second winter it's been on and it's taken a bunch of hits....not a dent on it.

Dieselgeek makes some pretty nice ones for VW/Audi applications, I'd look into those if you are interested in getting one. IMO a proper plate is a necessity for anybody driving a dropped VW/Audi on our winter roads.

Better to spend a little now to provide protection instead of being stuck on the side of the road with a trail of oil a mile long in -40 weather.

Thanks man! I'll look into that! Or if you and your brother want to make one for me I'll buy one ;) $$$

BlackArcher101
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep, full coverage metal skidplate FTW

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I also have a full on metal skidplate. Screw weight reduction.. Protected engine bay FTW.

Dumbass17
01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
im' getting pissed off!!
i can't park on my street (i have street parking) cuz there is just TOO much snow. i had to rock it back and forth about 8 times last night to get it out...so i ended up driving around lookign for a decent spot, i endedu p saying fuck it, and parking on the main street

Brutucus
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Got stuck last night, had to rock the car back and forth after 30 mins of digging it out. Crack my front bumper =(

Zero102
01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Evolution skid plate FTW. Can't drive a mkIV without one.

gpomp
01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

STi is my winter beater lol.. ok benyl

DannyO
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Happy to say I haven't scraped yet, stock suspension FTW, and if I drop into the grooves I can get out, AWD + DCCD FTW also.

adidas
01-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I dont even wanna drive! Car is about 2" off the ground and my street looks like a road that is rarely freequented up in Banff! If i was to drive the car id be asking for trouble! I hope that it gets much better by the end of the weekend tho!

Numi
01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
ya the streets are total shit..

i was too lazy to raise up my car this winter and left it slammed... wow that was a mistake.. i hit everylittle clump of snow on the road.. side roads are a total nightmare.. i went to go through te drive threw at my bank and the snow buildup was so high i got highcentered and stuck but lucky was able to back out... im afraid to look under the car.. but some how the rear lip and side skirts havnt fallen off yet:dunno:

i wish i could buy a winter beater but i already own 2 cars... time to sell one and buy something thats raised not lowered..

dino_martini
01-15-2009, 11:52 PM
My street is a complete gong show. Someone gets stuck almost every few hours. The chinook should fix that up.

GQBalla
01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
today i was stuck, got and front wheels couldn't touch the ground - nothing but slush underneath,

soo here i am sideways near the top of the road when a neighbor comes and gives me a tow - hehe

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
My street is a complete gong show. Someone gets stuck almost every few hours. The chinook should fix that up.

The chinook is what originally caused these problems... If it had just stayed cold, the snow would of stayed packed.. At least on my street. (I can't believe I just griped about a chinook! :banghead: )

Bowser
01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
The roads are terrible, i've come back to my car after parking it all day to find that it sunk into the snow and i was stuck.
Yesterday, I managed to crack my front bumper pretty good on a side road.
Deffinatly not a good winter to drive a lowered car.

ekguy
01-16-2009, 02:36 AM
yeah my Legend is really biting it pretty bad this year too...Oh well hopefully it's first and last winter with me.

colt22
01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
well, the chinook did absolutely nothing.