PDA

View Full Version : Car parked in my spot. What to do...

Swank
01-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Short version: Someone parked in my spot, how can I stop them without them wanting to seek revenge on my car?

Longer version: I live in a townhouse, I have 2 assigned parking spots side by side. Someone who normally parks in the area is parked so 3/4 of their car is in one of my spots, and the other 1/4 is in my other spot. Getting a tow truck in this weather will take way longer than it will take for them to move (72ish hours). If I get them towed, damage their car, leave a note on the car, etc they can key my car as often as they please if they don't like what I did. All of the street parking is screwed due to snow accumulation as far as my eye can see, that's why I shovel my parking spots.

I've decided to let it slide for tonight and hope it doesn't happen again, though the one street parking spot I miraculously got may have me sunk/stuck by the AM...literally. By a huge coincidence we have to have our cars out of the lot by 8:00 tomorrow for the 2nd plowing in 10 years, so it actually works out for me. Going forward, if they do this again, is there anything you can recommend that I could do that shouldn't result in malicious repercussions? I know if this person is reasonable then I will have no worries, but their disregard for where they parked tonight is one strike against their moral compass. They know the area so it's hugely unlikely it was an an honest mistake (but not impossible).

psycoticclown
01-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Go knock on their door and tell em politely what's up. Tell them that they're parking in your spot. People appreciate that, most of the time, they don't know that they're parked in your spot. Being civil first helps most of the time.

you&me
01-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Go knock on their door and tell em politely what's up. Tell them that they're parking in your spot. People appreciate that, most of the time, they don't know that they're parked in your spot. Being civil first helps most of the time.

We can call that plan "A"...

Plan B - nothing says "don't park in my fucking spot" like a big steamer on the hood. :angel:

03ozwhip
01-16-2009, 08:00 AM
being that this post was made after midnight, im assuming that the person in your spots might have seen that you were still not home and parked in your spots thinking you might not be there that night. people have done that to me before, all it took was for me to say that i come home at all hours and that they need to be open for both of my cars that we had. didnt happen again.

also, if you only have one car and they know this, they might do it because of that. in this case i would tell them that you pay for the spots, so if they want to park there, they can pay you for the spot, or else you will get it towed(if it turns out to get ugly)

khtm
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
:goflames:

Masked Bandit
01-16-2009, 09:51 AM
This stuff used to drive me nuts when I lived in apartments / condos. I would just call parking control and have the vehicles ticketed & towed.

Mibz
01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
This stuff used to drive me nuts when I lived in apartments / condos. I would just call parking control and have the vehicles ticketed & towed. First couple times somebody parked in my spot I just used visitor parking. Then the board shit on me for doing that. So I came home one day, already angry for whatever reason, and the same guy was in the spot so I got him towed.

Felt pretty terrible afterwards though...

vape
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
haha, just be calm and polite and ask the mto move, happens again, tel lthe condo corp about it, and then the ytake car of it, without them "knowing" it was you.

Kloubek
01-16-2009, 10:25 AM
^^^^ bad capitalization, grammar, and punctuation, but he is totally right. Let me put it in point form for your "mature" options:

1) You can call the management company. That is what they are there for, and it negates any possibility of retaliation.
2) You can visit the unit it belongs to, and politely state your case. It is very likely they will understand and apologize.
3) You can leave a polite note on their vehicle, informing them that it is a spot allocated to someone else.

Still, it seems to me that in the end this is very likely not something you'll have to deal with again any time soon. Just because it happens once doesn't mean it will be a regular issue.

em2ab
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Easy. Just park behind him so he can't get out and leave your car there until it's convenient for you to move it again. Make sure you take pictures of the car, license plate and parking job in case anything comes of it.

03ozwhip
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
^^^nice...i retract my statement and go with that....

dannie
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Depends on the status of your parking stall. Is it assigned or is it a titled stall?

**and yes, I realize he said assigned above, but it may be titled and he phrased it wrong

Swank
01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
It's assigned and labeled. I don't know who owns the car or which unit they would be in, so I have no way of talking to the guy. The car is gone now. Parking behind him would have blocked the roadway pretty bad for everyone else. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but it's pretty annoying to get home and not have anywhere to park for the night. Now that the lot is having the snow cleared out, the visitor spots will actually be useable so it should be fine until the next dump of snow. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

dannie
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
In case it happens again, if the lot is assigned; it is up to the board of directors to call the towing company. Each director will have an authorization letter stating that they are authorized representatives of the condo corp. So, you would want to contact your management co and get them rolling on that.

If the stall was titled, then it would be up to you to have the car towed.

scat19
01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Why do people let themselves get walked all over?

If I came home to my underground, assigned, bought and paid for lot at my condo, I would shit a brick and get some of my buddies/neighbours and pick it up and move it somewhere. Trust me, cars arent that heavy at one end.

Kloubek
01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by dannie
In case it happens again, if the lot is assigned; it is up to the board of directors to call the towing company. Each director will have an authorization letter stating that they are authorized representatives of the condo corp. So, you would want to contact your management co and get them rolling on that.

If the stall was titled, then it would be up to you to have the car towed.

Bad advice. It is NOT up to the board of directors to call the towing company. That is what we hire the management company for. In addition, in most corps not every member of the board has such a letter.

Originally posted by scat19
Why do people let themselves get walked all over?

I wouldn't say that trying to be civil about a minor issue is letting yourself get walked over. Not everyone wants to blow such issues out of proportion, and do something immature and rash like moving someone else's car. (If that's even possible with anything heavier than an Austin Mini or Chevy Sprint.)

whiskas
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Piss into the ventilation intake.

vape
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^^^ bad capitalization, grammar, and punctuation, but he is totally right. Let me put it in point form for your "mature" options:

1) You can call the management company. That is what they are there for, and it negates any possibility of retaliation.
2) You can visit the unit it belongs to, and politely state your case. It is very likely they will understand and apologize.
3) You can leave a polite note on their vehicle, informing them that it is a spot allocated to someone else.

Still, it seems to me that in the end this is very likely not something you'll have to deal with again any time soon. Just because it happens once doesn't mean it will be a regular issue.

it makes me sad when people point out my flaws. :(

Eleanor
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by vape
it makes me sad when people point out my flaws. :(
Smooth-Op Jr?

vape
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
GOW2?

88jbody
01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
a polite note on the car asking them to please not park in your stall you need it for your car.

if they keep doing it then call parking control

swak
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM
im having the same problem currently.
Lady parks infront of my place and goes to work at a daycare down the street, then leaves around 5.
I talked to her, and she was good for about half a week... now she's back.

Its not legally my spot though...
Can i still call parking control and say something along the lines of "someone abandoned their van infront of my house?"

1slw4dr
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
put som nails and tacks in your spot and wait for the asshole to park there again

kenny
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by swak
Lady parks infront of my place and goes to work at a daycare down the street, then leaves around 5.

Can i still call parking control and say something along the lines of "someone abandoned their van infront of my house?"

Theres absolutely nothing you can do (unless its blocking your driveway) because its public parking. Parking control may take your word if you call and lie about it being there for 72 hours but they'll likely do nothing.

GQBalla
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by swak

is it a house on a residential street?

is it assigned parking?

if its none of those, you have to suck it up because its city property

swak
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

is it assigned parking?

It definately is a residential street, but no assigned parking.
But with her keeping her van there, i have to park somewhere not infront of my house.

Wildcat
01-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Theres absolutely nothing you can do (unless its blocking your driveway) because its public parking. Parking control may take your word if you call and lie about it being there for 72 hours but they'll likely do nothing.

Originally posted by GQBalla

is it assigned parking?

I love how GQBalla consistently validates threads by repeating the first logical and legitimate answer after the fact. lol :rofl:

GQBalla
01-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

I love how GQBalla consistently validates threads by repeating the first logical and legitimate answer after the fact. lol :rofl:

I love how you dont read time posted replies:thumbsup:

Wildcat
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh I read it alright, but these little coincidences have been going on for years lol.

max_boost
01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
a polite note on the car asking them to please not park in your stall you need it for your car.

if they keep doing it then call parking control

We had some neighbors that would continually park on our property right up against our back gate. If you didn't see the car from looking out the window of our top floor room before going out, you wouldn't even know it was there. After awhile the wife got severely annoyed with them doing that b/c we couldn't open our gate to get into the alley. She actually would kick the gate open and the gate would smash into the car. :rofl: Shortly after, the owner came out and moved the car.

For another occasion, the wife wrote a nice note asking the person to refrain from parking their vehicle there. She came home to see the car still there and the note crumpled up and thrown on the ground. Needless to say, that did not go over well. She went to the store, bought a No Parking sign, posted it up on the back gate and called Parking Authority. They were out within the hour and ticketed the car, also taking pics incase the neighbor wanted to fight it! haha

Nobody parks there anymore. ;)

rizfarmer
01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

We had some neighbors that would continually park on our property right up against our back gate. If you didn't see the car from looking out the window of our top floor room before going out, you wouldn't even know it was there. After awhile the wife got severely annoyed with them doing that b/c we couldn't open our gate to get into the alley. She actually would kick the gate open and the gate would smash into the car. :rofl: Shortly after, the owner came out and moved the car.

For another occasion, the wife wrote a nice note asking the person to refrain from parking their vehicle there. She came home to see the car still there and the note crumpled up and thrown on the ground. Needless to say, that did not go over well. She went to the store, bought a No Parking sign, posted it up on the back gate and called Parking Authority. They were out within the hour and ticketed the car, also taking pics incase the neighbor wanted to fight it! haha

Nobody parks there anymore. ;)

:rofl: nice