PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or swap

Sk8erlude
01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi guys,

I have a 1993 turbo w/161,xxx kms. I had a compression and leak down tests completed and leak down is cyl. #1> 35%, 35%, 40%, 37%. #3 cyl. is leaking through the rings. I can rebuild the engine but i am considering a Gen3 swap, IMO better motor and electronics. I will be doing either deal next winter.
What do you guys think?

DonJuan
01-16-2009, 12:57 PM
If you are just planning on street driving and low HP then swap it if you really want to. Just keep in mind that the condition of the swapped engine despite compression tests/low mileage etc. Could be junk.

If you are looking at mild racing then build your own engine, and build it for what you want to do.

Or option #3 is to find the cheapest engine to swap, and then build it to what you want from it, it be be as simple as changing the bearings and rings, but from the teardown you will know what you are dealing with. This has the potential of being the most expensive.

03ozwhip
01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
if you can do it yourself, i would go with the swap, if you cant, maybe go with the other route and get it rebuilt depending on what you think is going to be a better fit for you.

thinmyster
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
If you are just planning on street driving and low HP then swap it if you really want to. Just keep in mind that the condition of the swapped engine despite compression tests/low mileage etc. Could be junk.

If you are looking at mild racing then build your own engine, and build it for what you want to do.

Or option #3 is to find the cheapest engine to swap, and then build it to what you want from it, it be be as simple as changing the bearings and rings, but from the teardown you will know what you are dealing with. This has the potential of being the most expensive.

good advice

rebuild would be my choice. If you search this topic i believe it has been covered before

Redlyne_mr2
01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
A rebuild is not overly expensive but then it forces you to buy more mods including EMS. Who wants a build bottom end with stock fuel and turbo? A gen 3 is great for bpu power however mileage and condition is always an uncertainty. I went gen 3 because it allowed me to hit around 400hp with stock fuel system and a bigger turbo. Going to pop in some bigger injectors and get my power fc tuned and it should be a fun reliable ride. i do have a gen3 longblock on standby that Im going to build up though so I have the best of bost worlds.

heavyD
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd go swap to GEN3 as you get the upgrade turbo, fuel system, better oil filter location, map sensor, etc. Rebuild is fine but they are only as good as the aptitude of the builder, machine shop doing the work and quality of the replacement parts.

mr2mike
01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I went to MCS Motorsports for my rebuild.

Better order now if you're wanting to swap next winter. Just ask ghettobaby.

Sk8erlude
01-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am swaying more towards the Gen3 swap. I would like to install an EMS with larger injectors later and maybe a GT3071R kit if my GF doesn't leave me by then.

Found some interesting facts from mr2oc.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=857&page=1&pp=30

red99600
01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
my recommendation is to get rid of it as soon as you can before you end up spending lots into it just to make it run

Sk8erlude
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
I'd go swap to GEN3 as you get the upgrade turbo, fuel system, better oil filter location, map sensor, etc. Rebuild is fine but they are only as good as the aptitude of the builder, machine shop doing the work and quality of the replacement parts.

My mechanic here in the lower mainland said the same thing. He has serveral years experience working on MR2 and has explained to me that finding a good builder is a challenge. Everyone and their dog seems to be an expert. He has completed many Gen3 swaps and is in the mist of finishing another one this weekend. He will be accompanying me to find a good engine when the time comes.

Any recommended places in Calgary to get good used JDM engines?

DonJuan
01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Sk8erlude

My mechanic here in the lower mainland said the same thing. He has serveral years experience working on MR2 and has explained to me that finding a good builder is a challenge. Everyone and their dog seems to be an expert. He has completed many Gen3 swaps and is in the mist of finishing another one this weekend. He will be accompanying me to find a good engine when the time comes.

Any recommended places in Calgary to get good used JDM engines?

Sohaib at JDM source is my#1 choice, this is shared by the rest of beyond. Located in the sponsor section. or just type in jdmsource.ca

Redlyne_mr2
01-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Gen 3s have become tough to track down as of lately.

DonJuan
01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
:hijack: on a side note, what's the difference between the turbo on a gen3 and the other 3sgte turbos? I'm looking for the best upgrade for an aristo. (which I think are the CT20)

mr2mike
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Toyota kept the same turbo for Gen2's and Gen3's over in Japan. (CT20b)

The only difference is USDM Gen2's have CT-26's.

Apparently better spool time on the 20b :dunno:

I've never been a fan of either, really. Unless you're going for stock feeling and minimal gains.

Redlyne_jr
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
To the best of my knowledge, Toyota kept the same turbo for Gen2's and Gen3's over in Japan. (CT20b)

The only difference is USDM Gen2's have CT-26's.

Apparently better spool time on the 20b :dunno:

I've never been a fan of either, really. Unless you're going for stock feeling and minimal gains.

Gen 2 jdm mr2's use a ceramic ct26
Gen 2 usdm mr2's use a steel ct26
Gen 3 everywhere used a CT20b

DonJuan
01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
It's my bro's car and he's just looking for some cheap durable replacements capable of 14psi

(oh and I think the Aristo has the ceramic CT12's)

maybe some CT20's would do nicely... any other engines they came on? ie: were they only on MR2's or were the also found on gt4 celicas?