PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City to close all stores

Supa Dexta
01-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Does this mean "the source" will too? I walked by one the other day and it said up to 70% off, which should have put them in range with the other electronic stores.. :rofl: But now if they are really going to be slashing prices I may go look around..

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/companies/circuit_city/index.htm

The Cosworth
01-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I was told 'the source' was still doing alright

BananaFob
01-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Does this mean "the source" will too? I walked by one the other day and it said up to 70% off, which should have put them in range with the other electronic stores.. :rofl: But now if they are really going to be slashing prices I may go look around..

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/companies/circuit_city/index.htm

From the article:

Circuit City also operates about 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada. The company said its Canadian operations, which employ 3,000 workers, will continue to operate.

5000Audi
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Circuit City also operates about 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada. The company said its Canadian operations, which employ 3,000 workers, will continue to operate.

that means the source...

Supa Dexta
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
damn.

jwslam
01-17-2009, 10:47 AM
daaaang
and i was all excited for a moment

nonlinear
01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
well. the source is really radioshack... intertan, the company who owned the Canadian RadioShacks, was bought by circut city and promptly sued by RadioShack in th states, so the canadian RadioShack's were forced to change their name to the SOurce. but they basically run the same RadioShack business model.

Citcut City proper is a whole different business model that is essentially a copy of best buy. i remember when circut city first came into minneapolis when i was a kid, and it totally sucked and everyone kinda made fun of it cause we could tell then that there is no way they would be able to compete with the likes of best buy. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

so i'm guessing what happened is that the Sourvce stores were still turning a profit, while the Circut City stores were failing and they shut those down. so the source stores will still stay open (legally they are independent corporations)

googe
01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
the source probably wont last much longer. they have shitty price matching and return policies, and stuff is always more expensive there.

nonlinear
01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
yea, i don't think i've ever really bought anything there except for a few obscure cords or adapters etc.

Supa Dexta
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I have no idea how radio shack stayed open all these yrs as it was...

I would also assume that they have some buying power being tied to circuit city that they will lose, making them even less profitable, and I don't give it very long before they close in canada as well.

Xtrema
01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I think those knick knack connector and cables have a way higher margin than electronics.

Graham_A_M
01-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I have no idea how radio shack stayed open all these yrs as it was...

I would also assume that they have some buying power being tied to circuit city that they will lose, making them even less profitable, and I don't give it very long before they close in canada as well.
Thank God for that. Just like Mattew Good said in his "hello time bomb" song: 'Selling shit into solid gold'

I hate that place, just overpriced garbage. :thumbsdow

rumeo
01-18-2009, 01:19 AM
i dont mind radioshack too much, i dont buy anything but my headphones.

for about a $ or 2 you can get their warranty which gives you 3 free replacements, works for me as i treat my headphones like shit