PDA

View Full Version : Review: Barrio Fiesta on 6800 Memorial

Kloubek
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
So, as some of you know my girlfriend is Flip. So we decided to go to this "authentic" place to eat last night. In short, it was one of the worst experience we've had in a long time.

Food: 1.5/5. She got the buffet (which consisteted of only a half dozen items), and I got the sweet and sour pork. She is used to authentic food, and said the recipies used in the first place were substandard. To make them worse, they decided to use copious amounts of grease. But what REALLY make them horrible is that everything was old and seemed like it had been drying on the buffet table for several hours. And that includes the rice. She was not impressed.
My sweet and sour pork was at least edible. Too sweet, and too starchy, but edible. And at least my rice seemed fresh.

Ambience: 1.5/5. There are grass and bamboo additions here and there, but overall it's pretty casual. Some may even say dumpy.

Service: 1.5/5. The waitress was generally pleasant. My food took about 45 minutes to arrive- which was a surprise considering there was almost nobody else in the place.

Price: 1.5/5. Our substandard meal ended up costing us about $40.00. Now, I have no problem paying $40, $50, or $60 for a decent meal, but this would have been disappointing at HALF the price we paid. The fact they automatically include tips in the bill, as well as charge nearly $4.00 for a can of pop was not acceptable in our books.

Overall: CRAP. No rating needed. Don't go.

If anyone can suggest a DECENT flip place, please let me know. We'd love to try it out....

AE92_TreunoSC
01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
ouch, thanks for the heads up

Clever
01-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Try out 7Seas across the road from the Cheese Cake Cafe on McLeod Trail, we've been going there consistently ever since we found the place, the place is pretty small but great staff and great food.

I've been to Barrio Fiesta once, about 6-7 years ago, never been back there, I guess I didn't like it either.

cityhunter2501
01-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Chopstix in 17th ave, 52 st SE.
lady always cook the food fresh, every time I have to attend a bday, always buy food from her.
really small restaurant but probably best flip food in Calgary

Barrio Fiest sucks been there only 2-4 times and thats because I was forced to go. Reasons why i dont like it
-food, can be left overs from previous days, been there since lunch.
-the crowd, they look down at anyone that's new in there and they don't really like non-filipinos.

Kloubek
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh... I forgot to add the most important part of our "experience". My girlfriend has been experiencing volcanic activity in her insides as well. Almost 24 hours later, she's still hurting. :)

Thanks for the suggestions clever and city. Actually, I'm really close to Chopstix, so we'll probably check that out next time.

Dj_Stylz
01-17-2009, 08:06 PM
This place looks so ghetto haha. However when i drive by it at night the parking lot is always packed.

nj2Type-S
01-18-2009, 06:10 PM
hahaha! that place is such a joke. i haven't been to that place in about 5 yrs and i hated it.

there's a place called ilocandia where vietnamese village used to be(52nd and memorial). food is pretty good and service isn't too bad, either. 7 seas is pretty good but it's sooo expensive for the serving size. if your gf is flip, you guys should just eat at her house since home-cooked flip meals will always be better than the flip restaurants here.

i'm filipino, myself, and i would never be caught again at barrio fiesta, lol!

cityhunter2501
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
hahaha! that place is such a joke. i haven't been to that place in about 5 yrs and i hated it.

there's a place called ilocandia where vietnamese village used to be(52nd and memorial). food is pretty good and service isn't too bad, either. 7 seas is pretty good but it's sooo expensive for the serving size. if your gf is flip, you guys should just eat at her house since home-cooked flip meals will always be better than the flip restaurants here.

i'm filipino, myself, and i would never be caught again at barrio fiesta, lol!

forgot about Ilocandia, that place makes good dinuguan and crispy pata (only thing I ate the 3 times I went there)

and :werd: about home cooked being much better, I have a feeling that flipino restaurants sometimes tend serve left overs from previous days.

Clever
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
7 seas is pretty good but it's sooo expensive for the serving size.

My aunt said that about 7 Seas too but it really is no different from what I'm used to from any other restaurant, then again, aside from 7 Seas and Barrio Fiesta I have never been to any other Filipino restaurant's, so I can't compare price and portions, but I'll stick to 7 Seas for my Filipino food. And by the way they are closed on Mondays if you decide to check it out.

reiRei
01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Rolymie is pretty good, we usually just buy Ulam there and bring it home when we don't feel like cooking

nj2Type-S
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
oh, and aling rosing. i haven't been to that place in about 3-4 yrs but the last time i bought 'ulam' from there, it was good.

clever - check out ilocandia on memorial and 52nd st NE. their serving size for the tapsilog is seriously 30% more than what you'd get at 7 seas.

flipstah
01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

forgot about Ilocandia, that place makes good dinuguan and crispy pata (only thing I ate the 3 times I went there)

and :werd: about home cooked being much better, I have a feeling that flipino restaurants sometimes tend serve left overs from previous days.

Ilocandia is VERY, very good! It's quite hard to get a nice Filipino restaurant in Calgary. There's a few here and there but it's best to leave it to homecooking.

Originally posted by reiRei
Rolymie is pretty good, we usually just buy Ulam there and bring it home when we don't feel like cooking

oh, and aling rosing. i haven't been to that place in about 3-4 yrs but the last time i bought 'ulam' from there, it was good.

clever - check out ilocandia on memorial and 52nd st NE. their serving size for the tapsilog is seriously 30% more than what you'd get at 7 seas.

Rolymie is alright but they're more bakery and catering.

Same with Aling Rosing. They do have an eating area upstairs but it doubles as storage.

7 Seas is very pricey. It's good but not for its price.

Barrio Fiesta is a BIG franchise in the Philippines and it's quite delish!... There.

Guess quality doesn't fly coach. Or got stuck at Customs.

urban_chic
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
i hate barrio fiesta!! i went there 6 years ago, havent gone back and have no plans of going back! well...a friend of mine has regular gigs there and that would be the only reason for me to visit the place other than that...never!

imo the best filipino restaurant is 7 seas along heritage..great food great ambience great staff and reasonable price!

aypi
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
i hate barrio fiesta too, i dont think i'll ever come back to that place again.

Pacific hut in 17th is my fav. flip restaurant, but i have to agree that 7 seas is good too.

redsrt4
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
barrio fiesta---->> :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
ilocandia-------->>:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
pacific hut------->>:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
chopstix--------->>:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
04-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by redsrt4
barrio fiesta---->> :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
ilocandia-------->>:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
pacific hut------->>:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
chopstix--------->>:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

last time I ate at pacific hut I had their specialty(kaldereta i think)..and I got sick, I tend to avoid that place now a days.

aling rosing used to be good, I used to love eating their 'paksiw na baboy' but ever since some family friends bought the store i stopped going there.

might try 7 seas next

basillio
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
+1 for Seven Seas!