PDA

View Full Version : are vietnamese subs unhealthy?!

Dumbass17
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
i usually eat very good, however, i've been addicted to the "Super Chicken and Beef" at Thi Thi on 130th Ave SE, i'm just wondering if anyone knows any nutrition information for these subs? fat? carbs? calories? etc

i doubt it, but thanks in advance!

01RedDX
01-17-2009, 04:51 PM

badatusrnames
01-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Haha, I was wondering the exact same thing the other day.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
I don't think they're very healthy, considering all the white bread, msg/salt, sauce and that garlic butter/cheese stuff alot of them use.

Exactly what I was going to say... I guess if you try to minimize that stuff when getting it prepared it can't be too bad.

Dumbass17
01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
well i get it on wholewheat of course,
the only stuff they put on it is the beef/chicken that was marinating in some sorta sauce (help me out here?) then cilantro, onions, sliced carrots and a slice of cucumber and then that spicy sauce they put on top
there's never any mayo or anything

i just seem to get these when im' hungry and on the run or near 130th and it'd be nice to know what kind of content im' digesting haha

szw
01-17-2009, 05:06 PM
There is usually some butter-like spread that goes on it. Tastes great but not healthy. The melted cheese slab also. My favourite is the end of the sub that gets all soggy from the melted cheese and whatever that creamy sauce is.

Vagabond142
01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I think this is one of those cases where you go "screw health, it tastes good!"

nonlinear
01-17-2009, 05:16 PM
i'm pretty sure they are marinated in MSG... that's why they taste so damn good!!

dj_rice
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
There is no butter or garlic butter in Vietnamese subs

Its either mayo or their own house made mayonnaise and a pate spread, thats only when you buy the assorted...

If your buying a Beef Sate, there is no mayo at all, just the beef/peanuts/veggies and then fish sauce

Sometimes there is no accompanying sauce and they just squirt some soya sauce on the sub to moisten it up a lil for easier digestion and eating

Wraith
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Is it not lard?

treg50
01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Prolly no worse than a North American sub with mayo + cheese + [name your deli meat here]?

jwslam
01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
Is it not lard?
yea sometimes it's lard
sometimes it's that meat paste stuff (on assorted)

as for putting all those veggies in/leaving them out, SHOULD'VE HAD A V8 haha

alloroc
01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

SoSimpo
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
They are dangerous for you if you buy them at a vietnamese restaurant and are not wearing body armour.

Too far.. Get out

r3ccOs
01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I love these, but if I can, such as Thai Thai

I grab it on whole wheat w/o their special "mayo/lard" sauce and throw extra hot peppers on

Its reasonably healthy then I would assume

The_Rural_Juror
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
Is it not lard?

Usually liver pate.

Darkane
01-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
They are dangerous for you if you buy them at a vietnamese restaurant and are not wearing body armour.

Thumb's up.

The_Rural_Juror
01-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by SoSimpo

Too far.. Get out

SoEmo (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=247136)

Kritafo
01-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes I never get the spread. If you talk to the owner at thi thi, the original one. Look at him and his lovely wife. They are hardly fat...he swears they eat them everyday. The only issue I see is the bun, which is okay if you get the veggie sub....I love the veggie sub with lots of cilantro.

I have often wondered about the calorie count in them. My husband loves the rib sub..I think it's probably the most unhealthy of the bunch. But soooo delicious. If they were only open at 10:30 pm I would so be going.

IhateDomestic
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
If you eat anything TOO MUCH, it's always bad!

Lol. Ditto, it is tasty. :poosie:

RY213
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I used to eat the beef sate from Thai Thai probably twice a week. About a year ago I got really bad food poisoning after eating at the one in deerfoot meadows, puking out of my mouth and ass simultaneously. I haven't eaten there since. So I would say, ya they are unhealthy...

badatusrnames
01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by RY213
I used to eat the beef sate from Thai Thai probably twice a week. About a year ago I got really bad food poisoning after eating at the one in deerfoot meadows, puking out of my mouth and ass simultaneously. I haven't eaten there since. So I would say, ya they are unhealthy...

Improperly prepared chicken can do the same thing to you. Would you consider chicken an unhealthy food?

Kritafo
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by RY213

Thai Thai need I say more.

dj_rice
01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Improperly prepared chicken can do the same thing to you. Would you consider chicken an unhealthy food?

No, I consider pork satanic so I don't eat pork

gatorade
01-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't think vietnamese restaurants use msg

jsn
01-19-2009, 03:09 AM
^^ what do you think the main ingredients of pho is?

raidar
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
I always thought the main ingredient of pho was - pure goodness. At least that is what my body tells me. :)

dj_rice
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by jsn
^^ what do you think the main ingredients of pho is?

Main ingredient of pho is prolli beef/ox tail bones for stock combined with star anise/ginger/charred onion for flavoring

01RedDX
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM

dj_rice
01-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

and msg. A lot of it.

Maybe in the restaurants to stretch out a pot of broth for many servings but not homemade

m3_powered
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
^true....homemade FTW! None of that watered down shit. I have to squeeze half a bottle of hoisin sauce just for flavor in most of these so called pho joints.

dj_rice
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by m3_powered
^true....homemade FTW! None of that watered down shit. I have to squeeze half a bottle of hoisin sauce just for flavor in most of these so called pho joints.

I wouldn't be surprised if they watered down the hoisin sauce also :rofl: :rofl:

jsn
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Main ingredient of pho is prolli beef/ox tail bones for stock combined with star anise/ginger/charred onion for flavoring

I was joking. Also, I'm not talking about the home made pho. The pho in viet restaurants have quite a lot of msg in it.

tommy1223
01-20-2009, 02:19 AM
the thread went from the sandwiches to MSG. Here is how everyone should look at it. MSG is everywhere!!! Chips, can soups, salad dressings, you name it and it's probably in there. The reason why most people dont connect MSG with western cuisine is because the media didnt give it a bad name to western cuisine. For a long time, baby food was filled with MSG but people didnt know that. MSG will not do anything to you with the amounts you consume.

i love asian food and the reason why they taste so good is from the combination of spices, marination and in pho the bone stock and fish sauce. MSG is in there but it's not why it makes it taste so good.

as for the sandwiches, i would probably limit the intake on them. Most of the time the protein on there are not lean meats but are from more fatty cuts, that's why it's so much more delicious.

TheCheff
01-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Thai Thai need I say more.

Is there Thi Thi & Thai Thai??? I always thought they were on in the same???

clem24
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
The beef sate subs at the Chinatown location... You have to deal with a.) the lard/butter that gets SLATHERED on there, b.) the processed cheese slice that spans the entire sandwich, c.) all the grease dripping from the sate beef, and d.) all the sodium that goes into everything plus the sauce that is added on. So yeah, I would have to say that they are quite unhealthy. But who gives a fuck. It can't be any worse than a Big Mac combo.

As for the MSG argument, this is what I have to say. Western societies and "studies" are so quick to demonize and yet, a.) it was invented by the Japanese about half a century ago (something like that), b.) they consume this shit like CRAZY -- it's in EVERYTHING they eat, and c.) they are one of the longest living populations on Earth. Fast food diets will kill you before an MSG diet.

And just to add my 2 cents.. I don't think every viet place uses MSG. MSG leaves a very distinct feeling of thirst in my mouth and dryness/tingly feeling on my tongue. That's how I can usually tell how much MSG they've put in. The worst offender is probably Pho 88 (but sofaking good), middle offender is pho thanh (also sofaking good), and seemingly the least offender is this pho place owned by a beyonder's parents that's right across from the Foothills Hospital (now I forget what the name is). Something pho and grill... Anyway, at least that's what I think. I could be completely wrong.

MSG by itself does nothing. It just tastes salty and leaves you thirsty. But added to an existing broth can really accentuate the flavour and bring out it's "sweetness".

koopkoop2
01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by clem24
The beef sate subs at the Chinatown location... You have to deal with a.) the lard/butter that gets SLATHERED on there, b.) the processed cheese slice that spans the entire sandwich, c.) all the grease dripping from the sate beef, and d.) all the sodium that goes into everything plus the sauce that is added on. So yeah, I would have to say that they are quite unhealthy. But who gives a fuck. It can't be any worse than a Big Mac combo.

As for the MSG argument, this is what I have to say. Western societies and "studies" are so quick to demonize and yet, a.) it was invented by the Japanese about half a century ago (something like that), b.) they consume this shit like CRAZY -- it's in EVERYTHING they eat, and c.) they are one of the longest living populations on Earth. Fast food diets will kill you before an MSG diet.

And just to add my 2 cents.. I don't think every viet place uses MSG. MSG leaves a very distinct feeling of thirst in my mouth and dryness/tingly feeling on my tongue. That's how I can usually tell how much MSG they've put in. The worst offender is probably Pho 88 (but sofaking good), middle offender is pho thanh (also sofaking good), and seemingly the least offender is this pho place owned by a beyonder's parents that's right across from the Foothills Hospital (now I forget what the name is). Something pho and grill... Anyway, at least that's what I think. I could be completely wrong.

MSG by itself does nothing. It just tastes salty and leaves you thirsty. But added to an existing broth can really accentuate the flavour and bring out it's "sweetness".

The MSG used by the Japanese comes from natural sources though, such as Konbu (dried Kelp). The majority of the MSG used in North America (besides most japanese restaurants) is synthetic. Naturally occuring MSG is just a higher concentration of chemicals already found in things like tomatoes. Synthetic MSG on the other hand is just a batch of chemicals and that's where the controversy begins.

nonlinear
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
^^also, i don't like MSG for two reasons: 1) it is a diuretic that makes you dehydrated and thirsty as fuk, and 2) it is a 'flavour enhancing' drug that is added to bad/tasteless food to trick your brain into thinking it tastes better than it does.

i'm not up on the latest research about msg on health, but the above reasons are enough to make me try to avoid it... i hate being thirsty, and i want to eat food that tastes good on its own without me having to add drugs to it.

if you're a huge proponent, why not go to the supermarekt and get a can of "meat tenderizer" (MSG) and add it to all of your cooking?????????

clem24
01-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I am not a huge proponent of MSG. I don't like the thirsty feeling either. The thing is that people seem to be making a huge deal out of MSG when it's really being blown out of proportion... I.e. these same people probably drink diet pop or eat much more unhealthy foods than they should, whereby MSG is probably the least of their concerns.

And yes I do have MSG as part of my cooking arsenal (I only buy the Japanese Ajimoto brand). But I hardly ever use it. I'll put a drop in a soup broth, but that's about it.

sputnik
01-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Anyone who eats potato chips... consumes MSG.

1997GSR
01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
msg = evil

kutt3r
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Here is the closest I found.. and the recipe looks like would be a Thi Thi Assorted.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Banh-Mi-Vietnamese-Submarine-Sandwich-144749

1763 calories
593 from fat.....
Sodium 3859mg or 160% of daily allowance

Because of reading this stupid thread and craving them all night I got 2 of them today (cheat day after 2 weeks of good eating)

Looks like I will be doing 3hrs on the treadmill tonight....fahq

:banghead:

sputnik
01-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r
Here is the closest I found.. and the recipe looks like would be a Thi Thi Assorted.

1763 calories
593 from fat.....

Because of reading this stupid thread and craving them all night I got 2 of them today (cheat day after 2 weeks of good eating)

That recipe serves 4 people.

kutt3r
01-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

That recipe serves 4 people.

Seriously...

Serving Size 1 (701g)
Recipe makes 4 servings

I have never seen calories based on the recipe... and it does say the serving size is..... 1.
*sigh*
:facepalm:

nonlinear
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
does msg also make you hungrier?

sputnik
01-22-2009, 09:42 PM

R154
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
sputnik. Not worth your time bro.

tommy1223
01-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Anyone who eats potato chips... consumes MSG.

WHAT?! no way, but it's American made though and American food does not contain MSG.

/sarcasm

szw
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Seriously...

Serving Size 1 (701g)
Recipe makes 4 servings

I have never seen calories based on the recipe... and it does say the serving size is..... 1.
*sigh*
:facepalm:

Yep, it also mentions that the totals are "per-serving".

clem24
01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe just me, but who puts salami and bologna in their viet subs? It's like it was written by some American who couldn't source the real Viet cuts.. Not that they are any better, but still. Thumbs down to that recipe. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

That.Guy.S30
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM

1763 calories
593 from fat.....

OMG!! someone stole my recipe..... :rofl:

dj_rice
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Maybe just me, but who puts salami and bologna in their viet subs? It's like it was written by some American who couldn't source the real Viet cuts.. Not that they are any better, but still. Thumbs down to that recipe. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

:werd: :rofl: :rofl: