PDA

View Full Version : Stupid cop?

Owned69
01-17-2009, 06:00 PM
i got pulled over on centre street the other day and got told that i didnt have "regulation pipes" and to change my exhaust or else face the hefty 115$ fine, some brit guy i have HKS exhaust, its not a ear blowing fart can or anything, what do you guys think? is there a law against aftermarket exhaust?

Weapon_R
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Yes. The law is out there to protect the public from ricers

5000Audi
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
uhmm yeah there is... ill go find the law hold up

ok here it is

1. Exhaust Regulations

Mufflers

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

kaput
01-17-2009, 06:20 PM

semograd
01-17-2009, 06:23 PM
what if you require a high flow cat with your setup,
I know I need a 3" minimum and I have a 3" apexi

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by semograd
what if you require a high flow cat with your setup,
I know I need a 3" minimum and I have a 3" apexi

Technically exhaust is only legal if it's the same size as OEM, and the same volume, or quieter.

So it can't be bigger or louder, but it can be aftermarket.

v2kai
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
the exhaust law is stupid IMO, bee hive fart cans fine ticket em, but a nice aftermarket tuned exhaust that doesnt sound like ass but is a whole inch diameter larger or has a larger tip and bam! ticket. usually though cops are pretty decent as in if youre driving like a douche and deserve a ticket for something that's always a nice guaranteed ticket for them to hand out to modified vehicles, otherwise usually it's let slide.

cops need to go ticket some motorcycles and trucks with LOUD as fuck exhaust systems. the law as quoted by 5000audi exists but why the specification on outlet widened bit!? that makes no sense to me, if it's just the tip AFTER the actual muffling system...:whocares:

Canmorite
01-17-2009, 09:18 PM
:werd: On those Hog bikes. Fucking Harleys blasting up 17thave at 3 am making the windows shake. Way more annoying then any car...

dj_rice
01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Edmonton will be introducing some bylaw soon for noise complaints on exhausts especially on motorcycles...hopefully they go after some ricers :thumbsup:

Oldskool
01-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Somebody please fix title by taking the "c" out of it.

dannie
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
^ :rofl:

BlackArcher101
01-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Owned69
what do you guys think? is there a law against aftermarket exhaust?

Hmmmm, holy shit. I think you may be on to something here. I mean I've never heard of that absurdity before, who would make a dumb law like that. Hang on, I'll have to get to the bottom of this.

After quick research it appears you are a dumbass.

r3ccOs
01-17-2009, 09:48 PM
I think that like with everything its subjective to the opinion of the law, however I think that the "federally" mandated highway & traffic act in fact states that any change to a vehicle that changes any of its factory/OEM specifications is technically illegal, as the vehicle passed regulatory safey compliances in its stock form.

I know that "body" lifts and tires outside of stock diameter have been penalized in other provinces.

I believe the same applies for anything else, dependent on how anal the officer is.

Mibz
01-17-2009, 10:01 PM
This has been gone over a million times. Aftermarket exhaust, including those that are larger than stock, are not illegal. The following are illegal:
Having nothing between your head and atmosphere which muffles sound.
Having something that produces extra sound.
Having a muffler with an outlet that has been widened.
Having an excessively loud exhaust. This is, of course, subjective and is usually a ticket that will always get thrown out if fought.

Aftermarket exhausts are legal.
Catless exhausts are legal.
Exhausts larger than stock are legal.
Mufflers with an outlet larger than the inlet are legal if it can be proven that it came that way out of the factory.
Running no exhaust on a turbocharged car is, if quiet enough, legal.

Toms-SC
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Wrong

Sorry bro, your wrong. Check out a couple posts above you.

Brap_Brap
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Cops hate ricers just as much as beyonders do.

403ep3
01-18-2009, 12:18 AM
I want to correct grammar but I don't wanna be banned :rofl:

BlueGoblin
01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
It's funny, when I was in traffic court, ricers thought that trucks 'got away' with loud mufflers, Harley riders thought sport bike riders 'got away' with loud mufflers, Truck drivers thought... well, I am not sure what they thought, but you get the point.

Incidentally, convictions on things like loud mufflers are a bit tough, and come entirely down to the quality of articulation. I had one officer who was able to describe how he had the police radio on, but had turned up the car radio for a favourite song when the Accused passed on his Harley. He wasn't able to hear either radio or his partner speaking until the Harley was a half block away. That was an easy conviction. If the quality of articulation isn't there, then it is tough evidence to call.

Owned69
01-18-2009, 12:31 AM
nah,
i had exhaust problems when i bought the car,
it was cheaper to just replace it then what it was to fix it, and i found a used HKS exhaust on this site, and got it becuase it was within my budget range, it was just a question it just threw me off because of all those trash exhaust systems from minute muffler that you can buy in nearly an sector of the city, i didnt realize they were in fact illegal and dont understand why they can still sell them almost anywhere when they are illegal, but i guess marajuana is illegal haha

sxtothe240
01-18-2009, 03:51 AM
nah,
it was cheaper to just replace it then what it was to fix it, and i found a used HKS exhaust on this site, and got it becuase it was within my budget range, it was just a question it just threw me off because of all those trash exhaust systems from minute muffler that you can buy in nearly an sector of the city, i didnt realize they were in fact illegal and dont understand why they can still sell them almost anywhere when they are illegal, but i guess marajuana is illegal haha

Simple, supply and demand.

If people want it, someone will sell it.

Xtrema
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
nah,

Just because it's illegal for public roads, doesn't mean it's illegal to sell. A lot of products will say "off-road use only" to cover their ass.

You can have any exhausts you want on a race track or at car shows. You just have to make sure the car get towed there and not driven there.

Mibz
01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Sorry bro, your wrong. Check out a couple posts above you. People on here do a really good job of saying "You're wrong, here's NO EVIDENCE!". Show me where in TSA it says that I'm wrong. Show me the section that says "Aftermarket exhausts are illegal".

Toms-SC
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
People on here do a really good job of saying "You're wrong, here's NO EVIDENCE!". Show me where in TSA it says that I'm wrong. Show me the section that says "Aftermarket exhausts are illegal".

The full text of the Alberta Highway traffic Safety act is accessible on line:
Visit http://www.tu.gov.ab.ca/Publications/Legislation.asp

These exhaust points are covered in section 61 of the Vehicle Equipment Regulation.

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.
(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

K tanks

R154
01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
It doesnt specifically say no aftermarket exhausts. Only it cant be louder or wider. you can get a stock sized aftermarket exhaust k thxbye. amirite? yeah man.

As long as the exhaust LOOKS stock, they usually dont give you any hassle, but if it looks like an angled n1 can dumping out the bumper then you will have problems.

On my buddies civic, he ran straight through, catless 3" to a 3" muffler, with just a pipe sticking out. Never got pulled over, and it was loud when the wasegate opened.

Its also about your douchery on the road. Typically you will get a ticket for that because it is at the officers discretion, and usually is the result of them not being able to nail you to the wall for just racing, and losing to that vespa.

BrknFngrs
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

I see what Mibz is getting at here. The reading of this section specifically suggests it's illegal to widen an exhaust outlet. Based on that interpretation it doesn't seem like buying an exhaust with a larger than OEM outlet would be illegal as you haven't "widened it". This sounds like a law geared at avoiding "ghetto" modifications more-so than controlling the size of the exhaust outlet.

Does anyone know the interpretation that the courts uphold?

R154
01-18-2009, 01:03 PM
it has before, I dont see why it wouldnt again.

Mibz
01-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by R154
Its also about your douchery on the road. Typically you will get a ticket for that because it is at the officers discretion, and usually is the result of them not being able to nail you to the wall for just racing, and losing to that vespa. I completely agree with this, but my point is that 99% of exhaust tickets given out won't hold because....

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I see what Mibz is getting at here. The reading of this section specifically suggests it's illegal to widen an exhaust outlet. Based on that interpretation it doesn't seem like buying an exhaust with a larger than OEM outlet would be illegal as you haven't "widened it". This sounds like a law geared at avoiding "ghetto" modifications more-so than controlling the size of the exhaust outlet.Exactly.

Only it cant be louderNo, it doesn't say that anywhere. It says you can't have a device which INCREASES the original sound. Not louder than stock, louder than whatever comes out of the head. Did anybody actually read my first post?

These exhaust points are covered in section 61 of the Vehicle Equipment Regulation.

K tanks Thank you for doing exactly what I just accused people of doing in the first place. You've shown me the act but failed to tell me where it says you can't have an aftermarket exhaust.

L2debate kthx.