PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Advice

Stringz
01-18-2009, 12:25 AM
I’d like to hear your advice on learning different martial arts styles. I’m looking to get into something but don’t even know where to began.... I’m more or less just looking to pick something up as a hobby type thing. I’ll also need some places to train around town????

Much Appreciated

Davetronz
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want more of striking, grapling, takedowns, self-defense? What area of the city?

Rocky
01-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm a TKD (taekwondo) fan myself. You'll learn more usable techniques in the first year than you might in a more kata-based martial art such as karate, or a more traditional form such as kendo. From what I hear, at least. I know a couple Koreans who have just a little TKD experience but they're scrappy kids, could definitely hold their own in a fight.

However, Karate is a good start, very inviting and not difficult to find a dojo.

flipstah
01-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Sorry to steal the OP's thunder but what jujutsu? I want to take it but I'm a bit iffy because I had a jaw injury and I'm trying to avoid anything that involves my face getting smashed. Is jujutsu a 'safe' martial art to try?

Stringz
01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm in the south end of the city, i'm not 100% sure of what i'm looking for that's why i started this post just want to see what kind of options are out there for me i guess. I'mmore or less looking to get into something for Somthing to do and keep me active.

Davetronz
01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Stringz
I'm in the south end of the city, i'm not 100% sure of what i'm looking for that's why i started this post just want to see what kind of options are out there for me i guess. I'mmore or less looking to get into something for Somthing to do and keep me active.
The sensei at my dojo does at least 30 mins of good "exercise" per 1 hour class. You leave sweating and tired.

To the person with the jaw injury (sorry I don't want to re-load the page and get a name), jiu-jitsu is definitely safe for someone with an injury, with any of the techniques or exercise, either let your partner know your injury or the sensei. Don't go beyond your personal comfort level. It might cause problems when you get higher up in belts as the striking becomes a bit more competitive, but I'm sure for the first while you'd be fine.

TimG
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM
If you have no clue as to what you want to try, your best bet would be to head over to Chapters and flip through the martial arts sections for one of those "Complete Idiots Guides to Martial Arts" which gives you a brief overview of the major styles.

google martial arts calgary and see what comes up. there are lots of places in SW and SE. Any reputable school will be more than happy to have you drop in and try out a few classes for free. if they want to charge you for it, that's when the warning bells should be going off and say thanks but no thanks. Try out as many different styles as you can until you find one that you like. There are some basic questions that you should have answered before you go (or at least have a vague idea):

1a. do you think you'd ever be interested in competition or are you strictly in it for recreation?

1b. are you doing martial arts for stress release/meditation/spiritual reasons or is it just for recreation?

2. do you have a preference for an art that emphasizes punching and kicking vs close quarters wrestling and grappling? Both?

3. Are you interested in practical self protection or more into learning the traditional martial art?

4. any interest in weapons?

Essentially martial arts can be broken down in several ways: by region, like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Fillipino, etc; by style, striking vs grappling arts; and by "type", martial sport vs martial art. obviously there is overlap sometimes, but these are the broad categories.

about "safe" martial arts: all martial arts are "safe" if you're learning from a competent instructor. you will eventually have your share of bruises and sore muscles.. maybe the odd sprain here or there, but i have never seen anything more serious than a nosebleed while i've been on the mats (and that was because the person was goofing off and not paying attention)

if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Toma
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
There is a huge difference between some of the martial arts and even within certain 'factions' of the same martial art in terms style, form, and practicality.

To me, the number one choice a guy has to make is whether you want to be the best street fighter possible FAST, or do you want traditional proper technique first, then after 2-10 years when you have mastered it, you can loosen your style and become a better "real world" fighter.

I am a big fan of Tae Kwon Do, but again, there are differences between International, World etc federations, and I am spoiled to have trained under one of the best TKD instructors in the world.

I took it from Grand Master JJ Lee, where they concentrate mainly on form and technique, and only once you have that down, do they allow "looser" "sparring" forms.

n1zm0
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
when i was about 8 i was enrolled into your typical shotokan karate, made it up to green belt.

when i was about 13 i was enrolled into Hapkido, just near the Southland registry near the LRT tracks. Made it up to blue belt red stripe.

These are the only martial arts that i've done and from what i gather karate is more of an attacking martial art whereas hapkido was always defending yourself from a punch or clothing grab save for a few flying kicks, it was more about moving around your opponent to subdue him via pressure points or using his momentum to break his own wrist/elbow etc. If you think about it, pressure points are kind of useless in a real fight unless you get it dead on as in 90% on target, so you'd probably have to be pretty accurate or manipulate your opponent to make it easier for you.

think of what you want to get out of it like Toma said, both those martial arts i've done had meditation as a daily routine when we had classes, then again we also broke boards of wood and kicked kendo sticks till the tops of our feet bled.

Stringz
01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Great, Thanks for the Advice it's all a great help. looks like i've got some thinking research and some thinking to do. I'll let you guys know if anything comes from it or if i have anymore questions.

jazzyb
02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I recommend, Karate (shotokan or Goju Kai) if you are looking to find a practical style which is well grounded and very effective. If you are looking to go and do showy moves such as jumping spin kicks which are not as practical try tai-kwon do. If you want a great one on one in the ring style of battle, maybe kickboxing or Muai Thai is right for you. And if you are interested in grappling / throws maybe Judo might be good.

I personally am a Karate fan, I believe that it is a very practical and well taught dicipline. In my opinion any of the options are great but it all depends on what you like.

jazzyb
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
My only peice of advise, is that if you go to a Martial arts school and you see children who are pre-teens with black belts, the school is not worth it. a person cannot fully earn a black belt in a matter of a few years, it is one thing to be able to go through the actions physically, and another to have a full understanidng of the art and the discipline behind it.

Any reputable school will take well over 7 years to earn a black belt, and most of these schools in turn have your black belt internationally recognized, while many of the BS schools will give you a black belt in no time which honestly is no real achievement and it will only be locally recognized, which essentially means nothing.

Good luck!

jazzyb
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
haha and I just realised that this thread is about a month old, so you probably already have a club and my messages were useless. Either way post up what discipline you decided on and which school you ended up signing up with!

Stringz
02-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I actually haven’t decided on anything yet, I’m more or less looking for something that would be practical... not looking to show boat around I’m thinking Karate might be right for me, I like that fact that they teach you the discipline too, haven’t researched into it all that much. I just need to find somewhere decent to go I suppose

jazzyb
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
There are 2 very good schools in Calgary, the Goju Kai school in Edgemont (they also have lessons in Braiside). Or the Shotokan club.

Both clubs are also very active in local trounaments and have great instructors.

I personally am a fan of the Goju Kai club. I trained with them for 12 years until universtiy and a car accident kept me out of action and they were top notch!! I am hoping to go back in a year as well!