PDA

View Full Version : AMA Declined Towing.

ShermanEF9
01-18-2009, 02:58 AM
I had a great night. tonight i was on my way to a friends house to help with his car. as i go to turn around i hear a pop and my car stops dead. to my annoyance i see my CV joint popped out.. Luckily i have my AMA card! well not so much.

I gave them a call and asked for towing. i have ama plus which entitles me to a flatbed.... they first refused to send me a flatbed. i tell them the story of why i need one, they finally cave and agree. about 10 minutes later they call me telling me they are only going to send a regular tow truck as they feel it is "unneeded" to send a flatbed. i wait 2 and a half hours for the tow truck driver... and what do you know... first thing he says "you need a flat bed, i can't tow your car." because of the fucking moron on the phone i am now stuck again. keep in mind my car is infront of someones house and is completely disabled.

i called them back and at this point im furious. i talk to a team lead at the office who tells me they are unable to tow a lowered car as they do not cover it. so because my honda is lowered i don't get towing coverage, but the next guy who bathes in money driving his ferarri gets praised with anything he wants? they also tell me i can call another company and put in a request for reimbursment. so i MIGHT get money back... why the fuck would i take that chance? now im waiting for a manager to call me tomorrow. all in all this is bullshit and i am incredibly angry with the way i was treated.

Isaiah
01-18-2009, 03:02 AM
I received a flatbed tow from AMA before upon request. I've never had a problem with them with the exception of the 26 hour wait the last time I called.

ShermanEF9
01-18-2009, 03:03 AM
They refused to. wait or not.

EM1FTW
01-18-2009, 03:23 AM
i was present for this whole incident, and just out of curiosity i phoned and stated to AMA that i was just outside of calgary city limits stuck on the side of the highway with a disabled car.

i informed the woman on the phone that my "vehicle" would need a flatbed to be towed properly, as per the owners manual.

i was pretty much told that i would have to wait it out until morning, or phone someone else.

sgouki
01-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Never had to request for a flat bed but the when I had to get towed by ama, the wait was long but he didn't have any problems with my car being lowered. Very chill the guy I delt with.

Team_Mclaren
01-18-2009, 05:47 AM
did they tell you to try back in the morning? As they cant just flat out "refuse" a tow for a member.

And when the first driver showed up, why didnt you get him to call in and request a flat bed?

I have had excellent service from AMA over the years and have never had a problem.

Black Gts
01-18-2009, 05:59 AM
I have telus roadside assistance and it is on paper the same as basic ama. Well three weeks ago I had a flat and needed someone to come out as I do not have a jack. Well they would only do it for $50 extra. Two weeks later I had another problem and was offered $50 extra to get a flat deck. Well after getting to the shop and "fixing" my shit I needed another tow and was offered another extra charge. Well I have cussed at enough people and have decided (hoped) it has to do with the amount of other accidents and that the system is not useless. I was thinking ama would not be the same way but you have proved otherwise lol. btw I have not paid a single b.s extra charge lol FUCK THE TOW TRUCK COMPANIES :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

sputnik
01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
If you have a car that REQUIRES a flatbed... AMA is probably not for you.

ShermanEF9
01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
did they tell you to try back in the morning? As they cant just flat out "refuse" a tow for a member.

And when the first driver showed up, why didnt you get him to call in and request a flat bed?

I have had excellent service from AMA over the years and have never had a problem.

im waiting for a manager to call me about it.

The driver did call in, but all the flatbeds in calgary were off until 9... figures.

Masked Bandit
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
So does it actually say anything in the AMA agreement about them not towing lowered vehicles? I just bought my brother a membership for Christmas and the whole "lowered" vehicle thing was never brought up by the sales staff (big surprise, I know).

bremorr
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I had AMA for 4 years and only needed a tow once.....same story. I required a flat deck because of my car being lowered, they sent one and then refused to tow it. I could see it if the car was so low that they would be at risk of wrecking something but mine was just -1?? Oh well, they got my money! Fuck me once....shame on you, fuck me twice, shame on me......never again.

AMA:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

RZRSHARP_SVX
01-18-2009, 11:14 AM
when I have requested a flat bed from AMA I got it. 1/3 times.

the other 2 times they just about took off my front bumper

chkolny541
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by EM1FTW

i informed the woman on the phone that my "vehicle" would need a flatbed to be towed properly, as per the owners manual.

do you have an em1 civic? is it really in the manual that it requires a flatbed?

EM1FTW
01-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

the driver who showed up to help us was a very nice guy, i believe his name was ken.

he did talk to dispatch and told them a flatbed was needed for the tow, all of the flatbed drivers were off until 9 am.

EM1FTW
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

do you have an em1 civic? is it really in the manual that it requires a flatbed?

i said the car i had was awd.
it was just a call for curiosities sake.

nadroj23
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I have been told by AMA many times that they do not send flatbeds for cars that are lowered aftermarket. I was told that any car coming from the factory that is low, such a lambo's, corvettes, anything like that requires a flatbad. But this is all just with my dealings with them.

ShermanEF9
01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
well thats fucking retarded.. it shouldn't matter what it is... if im paying for a membership, i should get what i pay for... in my case flatbed service.

CivicTunr
01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
i just say my car requires a flatbed. i have gotten it everytime i need it. My car busted on the way to saskatoon from calgary, and i got two different flatbeds.

Stringz
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I ran out of gas and called AMA they said they would send somebody with some gas to get me to the gas station... I wait about 45 minutes a flatbed pulls up.... the driver tells me all their roadside assistance trucks were busy will i accept a tow to the nearest gas station? Of course i will.... All included in my plus membership. I always end up using it a couple times a year for something or other never had a problem.

Gabe182
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
See I thought that a AMA flatbed could tow anything even if it was a lambo or something, turns out you will destroy your front end if your car is lowered. My 300z was fucked last summer on the middle of 16 at 4 on a monday :facepalm:.

I called AMA and said I needed a tow so they randomly threw me a flatbed. Problem is the flat bed dosent lay flat on the ground. it comes out on a 45. So even my stock height 300zx nearly had its front kit torn off because of the wince and the 45.

also the guy that towed me when i broke down in the fast lane on deerfoot in rushhour :facepalm: :facepalm: said that he was the only tower to his knowledge to tow a lambo (diablo) and he did it with a normal tow truck. he used a low profile jack, put it on blocks and threw the little wheel things on.

AMA is great only problem is they always try to convince me that my car is lowered so they dont have to tow me.

ABteg00
01-19-2009, 12:41 AM
AMA towed my lowerd integra out of the native reserve on the highway to banff at 3 am in the morning.

Not only did they tow it to the dealership but they dropped me off at home.

nothing but :thumbsup: for ama

95EagleAWD
01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
I always lie and tell them that my car isn't lowered.

I've never had a problem not getting a flatbed.

zain123
01-19-2009, 03:32 AM
dont tell em anything regarding lowered etc.
be like this is how i bought the car
i ve had it towed in the past by you
and prety much just stop being a bitch and tow it lol

i duno if memebers remember the sep cruise IIRC when my throttle sensor went and i had to pull over.. i got a flat bed that day, just told em prev owner and owners manual said flat bed only and received a tow from outside the city to my shop for no charge. but its a different story that the flat bed broke down and they sent another flat bed to tow that flat bed and a stupid tow truck to tow my car lol did anyone take any pics of that btw? aha

SCHIDER23
01-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Well I had my car towed a few time this past year, 90% of the time they sent a flatbed no questions asked after I told them that my vehicle has been lowered , I do have AMA plus and the wait times have never gone pass 40 minutes. I had to get my car towed when the big chill came, and I only waited 20 minutes for service and my car was stuck all the way at the airport on one of the side streets :rofl: .

adidas
01-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I need a tow on friday and requested a flat bed...immediately was asked why a flat bed? I responded with my car is lowered. The lady said she will charge me 85 dollars for requesting a flatbed and $2/km after the free 5km!

Fuck that shit! Im gonna think of a way to get a flatbed and only pay for the extra kms!

Cueman
01-20-2009, 01:13 AM
I've had nothing but bad experiences with AMA. One destroyed oil pan, one pushed up floor pan, and one bent door sill. Furthermore, I feel like I get a trainee everytime who can't drive his truck. Drove through my neighbours flower bed once... never manages to leave the car in a good spot.

Somehow I still have a membership though... and keep trying.

I guess it's because I feel like they all suck.

TheCheff
01-20-2009, 01:34 AM
My supra was slammed and I had it towed around 5x in one year with my AMA+ membership. I never ended up needing a flatbed with those normal trucks having the low profile jacks and dolly rollers it seemed ok.

Thats pretty brutal that the driver said you would need a flatbed. My front lip was about 1.5inches off the ground and every normal truck driver would do it no problem. Do you have pics of the car and how low it is?

Hash_man
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I have had a lowered car towed by ama on a normal tow truck and the guy did a great job. I have been told by a couple of their normal tow truck drivers that the flat deck guys dont get anywhere near the amount of training they do, and generally are good at fucking up lowered cars.... This guy took his time and threw the back wheels up on dollies and it worked great.

scat19
01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
I had a great night. tonight i was on my way to a friends house to help with his car. as i go to turn around i hear a pop and my car stops dead. to my annoyance i see my CV joint popped out.. Luckily i have my AMA card! well not so much.

I gave them a call and asked for towing. i have ama plus which entitles me to a flatbed.... they first refused to send me a flatbed. i tell them the story of why i need one, they finally cave and agree. about 10 minutes later they call me telling me they are only going to send a regular tow truck as they feel it is "unneeded" to send a flatbed. i wait 2 and a half hours for the tow truck driver... and what do you know... first thing he says "you need a flat bed, i can't tow your car." because of the fucking moron on the phone i am now stuck again. keep in mind my car is infront of someones house and is completely disabled.

i called them back and at this point im furious. i talk to a team lead at the office who tells me they are unable to tow a lowered car as they do not cover it. so because my honda is lowered i don't get towing coverage, but the next guy who bathes in money driving his ferarri gets praised with anything he wants? they also tell me i can call another company and put in a request for reimbursment. so i MIGHT get money back... why the fuck would i take that chance? now im waiting for a manager to call me tomorrow. all in all this is bullshit and i am incredibly angry with the way i was treated.

Dude! I had the EXACT same thing! I feel for you. However, I did end up with a flatbed 3 hours later, after the initial tow truck came and said I can't tow you lowered car. Plus I had a brand new paint job on the front end. During winter, would of had rock chips galore!

ercchry
01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
when a normal tow truck says they cant tow a lowered car tell them to stop being so damn lazy because if this can be towed anything can be towed

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k12/mr_burton33/ka-tfail.jpg

Errol.
01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Well the thing was, it was on a resedential street with tons of snow, the front of the car was bascily sitting on the snow. I have a picture on my camera from that day, ill post it up later.

The car is fixed now, we had to fix it on the street yesterday.

mr2mike
01-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
when a normal tow truck says they cant tow a lowered car tell them to stop being so damn lazy because if this can be towed anything can be towed

Insane.

List the procedure to get this done?
No damage at all? It looks like it could have rubbed the paint off.

Gabe182
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Wow I'm impressed. how did you get it off the ground initially?

ercchry
01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
not my car, but i think they just rolled it onto some 2x4's and got a low profile jack under it

mr2mike
01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Even so with the jack, you need to get both sides up then have room for that dolly to slide under the back.

I'm interested to hear some details.

Go4Long
01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I think everyone who has a lowered car should carry a copy of that picture around to show to tow truck drivers :P

Gabe182
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
^ Im so going to start doing that

canuckcarguy
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I've had ama for years, don't always use them, though this year I had 2 breakdowns in a friend's truck, both times ama came and handled it, no worries. Both times they sent a flat deck because that's what was available, even though it wasn't necessary. Great drivers, super skilled, and it doesn't hurt, in my opinion, to buy them a coffee on the way to dropping off the car - those flatdecks don't fit through a Timmy's drive-thru, and I figure a $2.00 double-double guarantees that they'll be really careful unloading.

Twice I've needed a sports car moved, once it was a lowered one, and they sent flatdecks no questions asked. If you're polite and sound sufficiently concerned about your vehicle, they're very helpful, in my experience.

Cooked Rice
01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
AMA Plus is suppose to cover flatbeds. Because it covers motorcycles. And motorcycles need flatbeds. That's what I was told when I specifically asked AMA when I was interested in a membership. Normal membership is :dunno:

BlackArcher101
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Motorcycles don't need flatbeds

5oarer
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
does anyone tip the drivers??