PDA

View Full Version : Drove a 350z

civic_rida
10-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Today i went and test drove the nissan 350z. Man i love that car. Impressive looks and a blast to drive. Totally different car to drive than my civic. Great amounts of torque. 5th gear probably pulls harder than my civic's 3rd gear. What was sweet was how easy it was to drive u would think 287hp would be lots to handle but the power curve seems really flat. It felt like the car was making the same power a 3000rpm as it was at redline. Handling is so tight i've driven a rwd car before but this ones steering is so tight and precise. The only flaw of the car is the small rear 3/4 side window which u cant see anything out of while driving. Also the car has pretty stiff suspension n the ride can be bouncy on deerfoot. Hopefully if everything goes right ill order one next year.

sandman
10-04-2003, 11:43 PM
yea its a wicked ride
all Z cars are amazing after 1990
wish they made a VQ35DETT :hitit:
i thikn thatd hit maybe even 400bhp
cant really compare to a civic tho man
civics are underpowered, and most of tjhem apart from the B16 powered ones dont really put even double digits to the wheels
try lookin at a CLK320, or a SC300, 330Ci, the cost has a bit of variance but meh, im of coarse biased towards the Z tho

civic_rida
10-04-2003, 11:44 PM
i like the z n for around 45g its a great car.

Redlyne_mr2
10-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Make sure to go track pack

djfob
10-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Make sure to go track pack

what do you get with the track pack anyways other then nicer wheels?:confused:

ryder_23
10-05-2003, 12:52 AM
BIG BRAKES
dunno what else

PGTze
10-05-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Hopefully if everything goes right ill order one next year.

Your getting a :drool:350Z:drool:? Sooooo jealous, 350 = :bigpimp:. If I had 45g's I would be driving one right now. Good luck with the purchase.

Redlyne_mr2
10-05-2003, 01:10 AM
Zfan would know the most...brembo brakes, rays engineering rims, sport seats, lighter car, I believe the suspension is different as well

Hakkola
10-05-2003, 01:49 AM
I thought I read that the track version is actually 50 pounds heavier? :dunno:

max_boost
10-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I thought I read that the track version is actually 50 pounds heavier? :dunno: Track version is 1463kgs and Performance version is 1473kgs

Difference is so small makes it negligible

GTS Jeff
10-05-2003, 02:49 AM
one thing i like more about the civic than the 350z is the weight. it makes the car more tossable..

Sean7
10-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by sandman

Youv'e never drove a 240z have you.

All Z cars are amazing, except for the fact that they have slowly been gaining weight for the past 30 years.

I would do anything for a 71 240z with a nice RB26DETT lurking under the hood:devil:

4wheeldrift
10-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Zfan would know the most...brembo brakes, rays engineering rims, sport seats, lighter car, I believe the suspension is different as well All of what Redlyne_MR2 listed with a few changes. Totally different suspension tuning, some geometry changes as well, and a zero aerodynamic lift coachwork package.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
one thing i like more about the civic than the 350z is the weight. it makes the car more tossable.. Jeff buddy, curb weight has absolutely nothing to do with tossability

Mike09
10-05-2003, 09:25 AM
The only flaw of the car is the small rear 3/4 side window which u cant see anything out of while driving.
The answer to this is to pick up the roadster! No roof is always better!

GTS Jeff
10-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Jeff buddy, curb weight has absolutely nothing to do with tossability it doesnt? what am i thinking of then?

Seanith
10-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Wow your parents are pretty generous.

4wheeldrift
10-05-2003, 12:31 PM
it doesnt? what am i thinking of then? I couldn't begin to guess. Weight has impact on polar moment of inertia, but thats also very dependent on vehicle layout.

GTS Jeff
10-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I couldn't begin to guess. Weight has impact on polar moment of inertia, but thats also very dependent on vehicle layout. a=f/m? more mass = less acceleration? less acceleration = slower to pick up speed, slower to slow down, slower to turn?

thats what i define as "tossable". im not really sure what ure getting at here?

i know the z is a very capable car and has tight, rock solid handling, but i do prefer the pocket rocket feel when im driving, versus the huge gt cruiser feel.

sandman
10-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Sean7

Youv'e never drove a 240z have you.

All Z cars are amazing, except for the fact that they have slowly been gaining weight for the past 30 years.

I would do anything for a 71 240z with a nice RB26DETT lurking under the hood:devil:
yea thas tru
270 hp :D :bigpimp:
im happy with the VG30DETT tho, 300 bhp :D, lil heavier but jus flows, and IMO Z32s are better lookin than any other Z made
the RB would b a nutty ass platform tho
www.exvitermini.com has done some crazy shit with it
im tryna convince my friend to get an S14 and do an RB26 swap....lets hope so...
ride around together and hav twin twin turbos lol :bigpimp:

4wheeldrift
10-05-2003, 01:28 PM
a=f/m? more mass = less acceleration? less acceleration = slower to pick up speed Gearing and power can take care of that easily enough. How does a 3700lb Mustang Cobra out accelerate a 2200lb Miata?

slower to slow down True, but with decent brakes a 6000lb bentley can outbrake a lot of much lighter cars. The lighter the car is the less beef a braking system needs, since a lighter machine has less inertia, but heavy cars can and do stop every bit as well as light cars can.

slower to turn?This is very, very dependent on a lot of factors, such as driveline layout and placement in the chassis, suspension geometry, etc. I've driven 2200lb cars that turned like shit, and I've driven 3500lb cars that corner like they are on rails.

thats what i define as "tossable". im not really sure what ure getting at here? My definition of tossable is almost the same as yours, except that my definition of tossable is not seated in the realm of numbers. Cars that are "tossable" to my mind are ones that you can really attack the corners with, ones that fill the driver with confidence. Good transition response, fanastic cornering grip, well boosted steering, nice linear brakes and exceptional control feel. That is what makes a car tossable in my mind, how a car feels when you are driving it and how it responds to your inputs, not some more or less random number like curb weight. If we could all determine a cars performance and feel based on numbers alone, bench racing would not have nearly so much bullshit in it now would it? :D

i know the z is a very capable car and has tight, rock solid handling, but i do prefer the pocket rocket feel when im driving, versus the huge gt cruiser feel. There are so many things that define the way a car feels when you drive it. Curb weight is a factor, but it isn't the only factor. Well designed cars can stop, turn and go like they weigh nothing. A well designed heavy car feels hundreds or thousands of pounds lighter than it really is. Not all big and/or heavy cars feel like land barges.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-05-2003, 02:58 PM
im gonna side the Jeff on the weight issue. less weight bring soo many advantages. Sure you can make a 5000lb perform awesome, but if you shaved off a bunch of weight an already awesome car would be even more awesome!

88CRX
10-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
im gonna side the Jeff on the weight issue. less weight bring soo many advantages. Sure you can make a 5000lb perform awesome, but if you shaved off a bunch of weight an already awesome car would be even more awesome!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sub 2000lbs kicks ass

HK2NR
10-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by sandman
yea its a wicked ride
wish they made a VQ35DETT :hitit:
i thikn thatd hit maybe even 400bhp
cant really compare to a civic tho man
civics are underpowered, and most of tjhem apart from the B16 powered ones dont really put even double digits to the wheels
try lookin at a CLK320, or a SC300, 330Ci, the cost has a bit of variance but meh, im of coarse biased towards the Z tho

Greddy prototype turbo kit 417RWHP :D

GTS Jeff
10-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Gearing and power can take care of that easily enough. How does a 3700lb Mustang Cobra out accelerate a 2200lb Miata?

True, but with decent brakes a 6000lb bentley can outbrake a lot of much lighter cars. The lighter the car is the less beef a braking system needs, since a lighter machine has less inertia, but heavy cars can and do stop every bit as well as light cars can.

This is very, very dependent on a lot of factors, such as driveline layout and placement in the chassis, suspension geometry, etc. I've driven 2200lb cars that turned like shit, and I've driven 3500lb cars that corner like they are on rails.

My definition of tossable is almost the same as yours, except that my definition of tossable is not seated in the realm of numbers. Cars that are "tossable" to my mind are ones that you can really attack the corners with, ones that fill the driver with confidence. Good transition response, fanastic cornering grip, well boosted steering, nice linear brakes and exceptional control feel. That is what makes a car tossable in my mind, how a car feels when you are driving it and how it responds to your inputs, not some more or less random number like curb weight. If we could all determine a cars performance and feel based on numbers alone, bench racing would not have nearly so much bullshit in it now would it? :D

There are so many things that define the way a car feels when you drive it. Curb weight is a factor, but it isn't the only factor. Well designed cars can stop, turn and go like they weigh nothing. A well designed heavy car feels hundreds or thousands of pounds lighter than it really is. Not all big and/or heavy cars feel like land barges. heh, cmon man, i know that weight isnt the "only" factor, the "holy-grail" when considering a cars abilities. but u make it seem like its totally insignificant, which it isnt. in my original post, i was only pointing out that i like cars that are lightweight and feel like it! tho after rereading my first post, i can see where u are coming from. but dont u think that your statement right after, that "weight has nothing to do with tossability" is also incorrect? if we were to remove some weight from the z, while retaining the same engine, brakes, and suspension, then indeed it would be much more tossable. we could both agree that the correct statement would be, "weight is one among many factors that affect tossability" :)

civic_rida
10-05-2003, 07:27 PM
i remember watchin a video where the 350z showed up the boxster, s2000, m3 on the track.

tommy1223
10-05-2003, 07:40 PM
this 16 year old kid in my school has one, it's more like the family's car, but he drives it to school every day.

i tried to get him to race me and my friends but he is too poosay to do it.

04blackMAX
10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
nahhh i think hes more mature

Seanith
10-05-2003, 09:10 PM
i remember watchin a video where the 350z showed up the boxster, s2000, m3 on the track.

Just get your parents to get you one of each and you'll be the king! :)

Sean7
10-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX
nahhh i think hes more mature

LOL :werd:

Hollywood
10-05-2003, 10:36 PM
heh, cmon man, i know that weight isnt the "only" factor, the "holy-grail" when considering a cars abilities. but u make it seem like its totally insignificant, which it isnt. in my original post, i was only pointing out that i like cars that are lightweight and feel like it! tho after rereading my first post, i can see where u are coming from. but dont u think that your statement right after, that "weight has nothing to do with tossability" is also incorrect? if we were to remove some weight from the z, while retaining the same engine, brakes, and suspension, then indeed it would be much more tossable. we could both agree that the correct statement would be, "weight is one among many factors that affect tossability" :)

When your going over 100+km/k you can have your honda's non-LSD tossability!? I cant even believe you are comparing a honda to a 350z. Unless it's a s2000.:dunno:

GTS Jeff
10-06-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

When your going over 100+km/k you can have your honda's non-LSD tossability!? I cant even believe you are comparing a honda to a 350z. Unless it's a s2000.:dunno: the cars are far from being comparable. i just said that the civic is lighter...thats all. of course the z is better. ive driven both, one after another in fact...that is, until this happened:

http://www.psylence.com/jefftyper/pics/zcrash01.jpg

gpomp
10-06-2003, 01:21 AM
the cars are far from being comparable. i just said that the civic is lighter...thats all. of course the z is better. ive driven both, one after another in fact...that is, until this happened:

http://www.psylence.com/jefftyper/pics/zcrash01.jpg

You just suck at driving.

syeve
10-06-2003, 02:51 PM
looks like the z got its ass "tossed"